• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
CNN published an an article today on the growing embrace of the QAnon conspiracy theories among far right evangelical pastors, who then spread the conspiracy theories through the pulpit.

Paul Anleitner, an evangelical pastor in Minneapolis, said he's seen worrying examples of conservative Christians preaching from QAnon's bible: Pastors warning about the "Deep State," congregants trading conspiracy theories during Bible studies, and, most concerning to him, unsuspecting Christians lured to QAnon through respected church leaders. "I see this circulating through conservative and Charismatic churches and it breaks my heart," said Anleitner, who spent time in Pentecostal churches, where he says QAnon's influence is distressingly pervasive.

According to the religious view of QAnon, Q is a postmodern prophet, "Q drops" (aka his messages) are sacred texts and Trump is a messianic figure who will conjure "The Storm," an apocalyptic revelation exposing evildoers.

There's even a movement, led by the Indiana-based Omega Kingdom Ministry, to merge QAnon and Christianity -- with texts from both the Bible and Q read at church services.

Under somewhat similar strains, a group of 1840s Baptists called the Millerites predicted the Second Coming of Jesus. When Jesus didn't arrive, the Millerites were greatly disappointed, but they adjusted their apocalyptic timetables and soldiered on, eventually becoming the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

Travis View said he sees echoes of the Millerites in QAnon. Numerous QAnon "prophecies" have proven false. Hillary Clinton was not arrested in 2017, Republicans didn't rout Democrats during the 2018 midterm elections and Trump has not imprisoned his political enemies at Guantanamo Bay. These days, Q shies away from giving specific dates, View noted, suggesting a shift in tactics. Even so, believers attempt to explain away any contradictions between QAnon and reality, just as the Millerites did centuries ago.

www.cnn.com

How QAnon uses religion to lure unsuspecting Christians | CNN

Some Christian conservatives are falling for QAnon, which uses emotionally fraught topics such as suffering children to draw converts to their unhinged conspiracies.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, a modern day doomsday religion being started by 4chan shitposting isn't the worst thing ever.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced any of these Trump voting evangelicals give a fuck about Jesus. Trump and by extension Q is far more real to them. At the very least they stray further from Christ-like behavior every single hour.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I find it weird how at odds with the teachings of Christianity so many of the far right are. I know relgion has traditionally been as much about controlling people as it has been belief in teachings, but still: there's a lot of truth to the statement that if Jesus came to America in 2020, most of the Christians would call him a radical leftist or something.

It's amusing to see this bit about a "storm" exposing "evildoers" though because that bit's actually kinda true, it's just that they are the evildoers. Including by their own religous standards.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
when the evangelical programming of your congregation works too well

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not convinced any of these Trump voting evangelicals give a fuck about Jesus. Trump and by extension Q is far more real to them. At the very least they stray further from Christ-like behavior every single hour.
Christians, regardless of denomination, rarely engage in "Christ-like" behaviour.

I find it weird how at odds with the teachings of Christianity so many of the far right are. I know relgion has traditionally been as much about controlling people as it has been belief in teachings, but still: there's a lot of truth to the statement that if Jesus came to America in 2020, most of the Christians would call him a radical leftist or something.

It's amusing to see this bit about a "storm" exposing "evildoers" though because that bit's actually kinda true, it's just that they are the evildoers. Including by their own religous standards.
He was a dirty hippie that didn't like the state and hung out with minorities, women, sex workers, and the homeless. He was about loving "everybody" and sharing (aka communism). The right would fucking hate Jesus in a vacuum.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

Obviously! Them picking the flagrantly evil Trump over devout Catholic Biden tells you all you need to know.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
As someone who grew up around the type of people this article is about and still has a lot of contact with them via family, honestly, it's nothing new. While the whole Q thing is a new conspiracy stuff, evangelicals on the right have been rife with these types of conspiracy theories for as long as I can remember. In a lot of ways, it's in their life blood, since their entire identity is defined by the idea that unseen forces are out to eventually kill Christians in the lead up to the end times. People are shocked at the Qanon phenome, but I ain't gonna lie, it really just feels like another Tuesday to me. I get that it's new in mainstream politics, but with how much the GOP have embraced these people in the last 30-40 years, it was an inevitability that it'd get their eventually.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
As a Christian myself I have noticed this and it's infuriating because basically these people are finding out their ideologies aren't matching reality, so they are searching for stuff that matches their views instead of evolving/adapting their thinking. Because they use faith as their tool to keep believing stuff, they are forever lost, I'm afraid.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
If you wanted to discredit religion in politics....well, this is one way to get there in time.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
You know, a modern day doomsday religion being started by 4chan shitposting isn't the worst thing ever.
You know when you play one of those futuristic games and they have a hypothetical online derived religion that goes cultish and nuts and ends up being the bad guys? That's what this feels like.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

because ultimately any of jesus teachings take a back seat to jump starting the second coming to these people

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference in churches as an institution and the people that attend them.
I think you're missing the point. There are plenty of progressive churches, and plenty of progressive christians out there. No need to make generalizing, sweeping statements about people you don't know.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Qanon is some flat Earth levels of stupidity. For instance, Q followers believed Trump's COVID-19 diagnosis was a cover story to get him into quarantine so he could avoid an uprising/start of a new Civil War/something stupid.

Ugh... I think my family are secret believers in this nonsense. They are also, oddly, Old Testament Catholic.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I'd argue nothing was really blurred.

Just look at the Satanic Panic, John Birch Society, NWO conspiracies, end time survivalists, Conspiracy Militias during the 90s, and so forth. Right-wing American Evangelical Christianity was always married to over the top conspiracy theory nonsense.

The only difference is that this stuff is being talked about openly now, and in an organized, focused way.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Every scam, every grift that exists has compatibility with evangelism of anything in general.

I hate this timeline.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Qanon is some flat Earth levels of stupidity. For instance, Q followers believed Trump's COVID-19 diagnosis was a cover story to get him into quarantine so he could avoid an uprising/start of a new Civil War/something stupid.

Ugh... I think my family are secret believers in this nonsense. They are also, oddly, Old Testament Catholic.
Dan Olsen did a good documentary comparing the Flat Earth theory with QAnon. Worth a watch.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the shit Right-wing Evangelical churches have been doing forever thought? Batshit fiction and conspiracies being spread to the loyal masses as the "Gospel truth", pointing out the evils of society and the sinners of the world, distinguishing a clear division between "us" and "them"? "Q" is just one in the line of many bullshit "gospel truths" Million dollar preachers have been spewing out like hellfire thoughtout the years. You gotta have your congregation soaked in hatred, after all!

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the shit Right-wing Evangelical churches have been doing forever thought? Batshit fiction and conspiracies being spread to the loyal masses as the "Gospel truth", pointing out the evils of society and the sinners of the world, distinguishing a clear division between "us" and "them"? "Q" is just one in the line of many bullshit "gospel truths" Million dollar preachers have been spewing out like hellfire thoughtout the years. You gotta have your congregation soaked in hatred, after all!
This is how I approach this as well. I think there is an obvious thread between extremist Christianity and Qanon: that there is a higher power that will reward you and punish your enemies, and all you have to do is never, ever, question it.

On a fundamental level, humans are susceptible to this type of thinking, and it has taken innumerable forms.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Was it ever that far away really

The kind of thinking was identical from the start even if they weren't exact

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, though Q is more specific than the general fire and brimstone style of preaching.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I said it in the thread about a QAnon president, and I'll say it again here: QAnon is an almost perfect copy of the 1980s/90s "Satanic Panic" fiasco.

Far right Christians are all over this stuff, because it fits right into their doomsday/devil around every corner messaging.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Qanon and this christian crap are old as fuck.

Several board members including myself know what nesara is as a theory. All they did was take various theories and merge them in to end game crap involving trump.

What's more pathetic is how technocrats or the media treated until it was a cult that grew too big, no different then letting hoaxer alex jones blow up.

I said it in the thread about a QAnon president, and I'll say it again here: QAnon is an almost perfect copy of the 1980s/90s "Satanic Panic" fiasco.

Far right Christians are all over this stuff, because it fits right into their doomsday/devil around every corner messaging.

Same bs core just a new coat of paint.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand

As a Christian outside the US, I'm convinced US Christians are a different group entirely. I find them to be so disagreeable in so many ways. Esp their support of Trump.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
As a Christian outside the US, I'm convinced US Christians are a different group entirely. I find them to be so disagreeable in so many ways. Esp their support of Trump.

Most aren't in truth. I left the movement and religion cause the embezzling and pedo problems around them, both personally done to family members and people around us. Media willingly looks away while painting other groups as boogey men.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
QAnon is really just an internet-based evolution of what Evangelicals have been grifting for years via televangelism. It's using the framework of American Christianity to fulfill this very capitalism-centric and WASP-y version of identity politics which have been a lynchpin for this style of paranoia faith since like the early 1900's. I think the difference now is that Q - like a lot of right wing propaganda on the internet, is very decentralized whereas modern Evangelical prosperity gospel grifters are a rather focused group of wealthy elites that basically dominate an underclass that they vocally de-prioritize education on behalf of.

It also has hints of the Satanic Panic of the 1980's/90's with how they use "cHiLd MuRdErInG cAbAlS" as a boogeyman to allow their supporters to view themselves as morally righteous and of unquestionable authority. Q takes it one step further though by bringing more than just traditional Christians into the fold though, it's quite popular among modern right wing youth who might be religiously unaffiliated but are still conservative by almost every other traditional metric and often skew blue collar, white and rural.

I view that as more "future-proof" for their cause than the types of plastic surgery nightmare grifters you're used to seeing on TV like Joel Osteen. I feel like their effectiveness will really wane over the next few decades while things like Q and whatever inevitably evolves from it will become dominant.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
It's blurring with naturopaths and some left-leaning people too.

Pretty much anyone with magical thinking. And like, it's fine because all these people can do is dream.
I'm just worried about the Evangelics milking it for all it's worth. Q is just a bunch of weirdos on the internet
losing entire country's worth of virtual ground with youtube and facebook banning them.

But Q really is like ANTIFA. There's no central leader or deciding body. It's just individuals.
The real problem for Q is the problems it fights don't exist and never will, not that it will
stop the cult from existing. Evangelics could fix that for them. Which is not good.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It makes a lot more sense when you realize that the religious freedom that America was founded on was the freedom to practice weird kinds of Christianity that the Church of England didn't like. Some of them were cool (Quakers), but Puritans were generally fucking crazy.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
As a former Baptist it's just really wild seeing so many Christians go all in in idol worshiping in the case of Trump when idolatry was one of the major warnings beat into my head by church & Sunday school. I said it in a related topic but for how often the religious right characterized Obama as the Antichrist, it's disturbing to see them throw their lot in wholesale into a character much closer to a fucking once in a lifetime monster and embrace a new religion to justify it.

Yep. Also the Evangelical narrative of being divinely favored/exceptional is not too different from the conspiracy mindset of feeling you're the "only person who knows the truth" and those on the outside are either ignorant or "the enemy".

jay

Oct 25, 2017
So it's blending the clear facts and truths of conservative Christianity with untrue conspiracies?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Q is just the perfection of doomsday evangelical cultural virus. Unassailable and unfalsifiable, its one weakness is that it can be too effective. Adherents get tired of waiting for a promised day that never comes.

It predicts nothing and everything.
If something happens, it's part of the plan.
If nothing happens, that's still part of the plan.

It substitutes the faith in God's guidance with an eternal struggle between Trump and the Deep State. I'm curious how it will survive Trump's death.

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I wouldn't go that far. The Christian churches in my town all have pro-BLM, pro-LGBTQ, and other progressive golden rule/love thy neighbor type signs outside of their doors.

Well that's good. I just wish more Christian churches and organized religion in general would allow women in positions of leadership. Growing up Catholic I never understood why nuns and priests were separated the way they were. Also, I'd hope these churches teach safe sex and a woman's right to choose.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Dan Olsen did a good documentary comparing the Flat Earth theory with QAnon. Worth a watch.

This really opened my eyes to how many of these conspiracy theories boil down to impotent rage aimed at the world changing around them. In retrospect it makes so much sense that flat earthers are just psycho evangelicals.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's good. I just wish more Christian churches and organized religion in general would allow women in positions of leadership. Growing up Catholic I never understood why nuns and priests were separated the way they were. Also, I'd hope these churches teach safe sex and a woman's right to choose.
Different sects of Christianity absolutely have varying degrees of progressivism and open-mindedness. Like if you compare Evangelicals to Protestants.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You want the Episcopals then