• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The title's mostly retorical, I know the answer is Hollywood being racist. Still tho, Yeun should honestly be getting lead roles left and right. I just rewatched Burning, genuinely one of the best films of the 21st century, and Yeun's so good in it. My man's pretty young, a great actor and naturally charismatic, and he's hot af.

thr-steven_yeun-tiff-2018-day_3_burning_pentax_0018-p_2018.jpg

Come on Hollywood, do right by this man.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
And you'd think after he exited the wildly successful Walking Dead he would have tons of offers coming his way

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
He's literally one of the most likable people on screen. He should be in a ton more movies.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
The biggest John Choi ever got was the Star Trek movies and even then he was behind 3 white guys. Kirk, McCoy and Spock.

Nothing against those 3 actors. But it's a damn shame Choi haven't gotten bigger. Hopefully Cowboy Bebop going to change all that.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't into the Walking Dead, so I feel like I missed out on Steven Yeun until I saw Burning and Mayhem. He was rad in Tuca and Bertie too, so I think I'm officially a fan at this point!

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
When was the last time you see an Asian man as a leading role in a non Kung Fu Hollywood movie? That's how stupid Hollywood is. For them, male Asian actor = must be good at martial arts. If not, then they would be a side character getting 10 min of screen time at best.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'm hoping I'm wrong because I don't follow the industry enough to be well versed on it, but it feels like there's a threshold on Asian actor popularity unless you're either very funny, or know Kung Fu.

Also I'm not sure how my keyboard generates suggestions all the time but I have never in my life typed Kung Flu, but flu is literally the first word it suggested to follow?

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he should be a lot bigger than he is. Definitely check out Burning though. His performance in that is next level.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I saw he was gonna be the lead in the Invincible TV show and got excited, but it's just a cartoon adaptation. Should have been live action.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of The Walking Dead stars have gone on to much of anything.

It's tough going from television to film, even when you are on one of the highest-rated and most popular TV shows.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
wow you can see his individual facial hairs, he only has like 100 total

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
His performance in Burning is so good; his ability to be incredibly charming and creepy at the same time is phenomenal. Maybe he should have played Negan.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I guess I could go on about how I'm a Asian male and how we're under represented and emasculated. But I figure this time I'd just use a joke to point out that he's Asian which is also a joke on my own name.
I figured that, and I was appreciating your joke, I hope that's how I came across anyway!

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly his best role is in Final Space.

That said I have no clue... maybe he turns down shit, I hope that's the case.

How much would him being on Walking dead impact his schedule? His work load probably revolved heavily around that. Shit, it's easier now, but it's still sometimes difficult to shake off the, this guy did TV stigma that was pretty wack before

It's definitely true but lol at the Aaron Paul example. Aaron Paul doesn't have much range and really is propped up by a REALLY good all time show that cast him perfectly and Walking Dead sucks ass. I'd rather see Yuen... but I also want Yuen in something better than Aaron Paul's non Breaking Bad output lol.. Need for Speed, Central Intelligence, Exodus Gods and Kings are trash.

EDIT: On a deeper look, Yuen's output critically is so much better too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't into the Walking Dead, so I feel like I missed out on Steven Yeun until I saw Burning and Mayhem. He was rad in Tuca and Bertie too, so I think I'm officially a fan at this point!

Yeah I only watched the first season of Walking Dead and wasn't a fan so I only knew Steven as the extremely likeable guest on Conan. Burning was enough to make me a huge fan tho. He is so damn good in that.

Oct 25, 2017
Right?! He should've at least been a goddamn superhero by now. Shit just doesn't make sense to me.
That's the thing that confuses me, I mean, get your money, but it's a little weird to praise someone for their drama work and then immediately go "they need to be a superhero", which isn't gonna let them show their strengths as an actor.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
That's the thing that confuses me, I mean, get your money, but it's a little weird to praise someone for their drama work and then immediately go "they need to be a superhero", which isn't gonna let them show their strengths as an actor.

Obviously I'd love to see him in more dramatic roles. I'm more just expressing surprise at the fact that nobody's banging down his door with offers. Or maybe they are and he's turning them down. All I know is that the man should be a lot bigger than he currently is.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest John Choi ever got was the Star Trek movies and even then he was behind 3 white guys. Kirk, McCoy and Spock.

Nothing against those 3 actors. But it's a damn shame Choi haven't gotten bigger. Hopefully Cowboy Bebop going to change all that.
I think it's John Cho, right?

Glad to hear he's in Cowboy Bebop. He's a good actor, good looking, and seems like a cool person. He's been pretty outspoken about how hard it is to land a role as an Asian actor that's not "token Asian guy". Basically every non-white actor seems to have trouble landing roles that don't just reinforce racial stereotypes.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Yup. Dude has talent galore and looks good. But the Sam Worthingtons of the world will get 100 chances for everyone one he gets.
Just think about how many talented actors were robbed of opportunity to be an action star by Sam Worthington, Taylor Kitsch, Charlie Hunnam, Gerard Butler, Armie Hammer, Jai Courtney, Josh Hartnett, and Garrett Hedlund.

It's staggering.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Because he went to Troy High... fuck that guy (Athens Red Hawks 4 life!). No, but really, I have no idea. Loved him in Walking Dead and everything else I've seen him in.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
He's an Asian male, probably the hardest thing to be in Hollywood. Unfortunately he'll have better chances in East Asia.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017