• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Burnout 3 is still one of my favorite games. It just feels SO GOOD to drive.
That and Midtown madness are my dream car games that I strongly believe they should come back.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They ruined it with Paradise, now everyone just wants a Paradise sequel instead of a real Burnout. A HD Remix of TakeDown and Revenge would be lovely right about now.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I'm still salty about 80% of criterion getting axed, and then turning them into support studio. Its not even a case where they delivered flops like Raven did.

Man, burnout was so good. Have so many great memories of 3 and paradise. Paradise's online puts nfs payback to shame, which is sad.

Nov 18, 2017
Paradise is one of the greatest games ever made.

And yes, I know some of you prefer tracks to open world, and those games are cracking too.

But if you got Burnout Paradise, it provoked a sublime zen-like trance state. I would love a next-gen, open world sequel.

OP
OP
NO!R

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They ruined it with Paradise, now everyone just wants a Paradise sequel instead of a real Burnout. A HD Remix of TakeDown and Revenge would be lovely right about now.

They didn't ruin shit. Revenge was incredible but Paradise did an amazing job blowing it up to a big sandbox. It was a pain without fast travel and a quick event menu but the essence of the series was intact. And as mentioned previously, the online integration was sublime.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Burnout 2 was amazing on GameCube, I couldn't believe how much fun you could have just crashing cars at intersections.

Too bad games like that aren't considered worth investing in, anymore.

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This racing genre simply does not set the world on fire.

Seems like the market is basically saturated with GT, Forza and the occasional NFS.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They didn't ruin shit. Revenge was incredible but Paradise did an amazing job blowing it up to a big sandbox. It was a pain without fast travel and a quick event menu but the essence of the series was intact. And as mentioned previously, the online integration was sublime.
Lack of crash junctions instantly made Paradise lesser. Open world was cool but having tracks made for each particular encounter was so much more fun.

The online in paradise was great when the camera stuff was working.

Personal opinion of course. Open world for the sake of being open world did not add anything to Burnout that was worth loosing the crash junctions for.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
(Oh hey i recognise that first Burnout Paradise gif in the OP, was one i made a while back, I feel honoured that its shown up here! :D)

On the topic at hand though, i absolutely agree that its been a real shame that Burnout genuinely never had any more time in the limelight when it was the racing franchise that truly deserved such. While Paradise was divisive for sure (though while I am firmly in the camp that loved it, i can see where others come from) there was no deny that quality wise, it was a fantastic game. Despite all this, friggin EA kept trundling along by trying to assimilate the burnout formula into NFS with varying degrees of success,and while the two criterion made NFS games were also some of the best in the series personally, it made more NFS orientated fans really annoyed, and it left burnout fans hanging for a new entry.. one that would never be fulfilled*

(*besides the spinoff game Burnout Crash which was alright but not the same really)

As for the upcoming Dangerous Driving, I am very hopeful that it'll be fun to play considering its a successor to my favourite Burnout game, Burnout 3. and well, I hope that in the near future more racing games will begin to take more inspiration from games like the Burnout series, and while the recent influx of arcade racers based off of 90s classics like F-|ero, WipEout and Rollcage (Redout and GRIP being lovingly standout examples in recent years that ive enjoyed immensely) I feel it wont be too long before Burnout could become one of those that some developers might want to replicate the feel of, but thats just wishful thinking on my part.

..Gosh i wish arcade racers were as popular as they were before, while the latest and near future crop of games have been great, its a shame they dont gain as much momentum and mindshare as they used to..

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
EA would only greenlight another Burnout if it was either a BR, a sub-based game, or managed to put lootboxes in it. If that's not the case, EA DGAF.

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty amazing that it hasn't had another proper game since Paradise, but the team behind it is dead. They won't recapture the magic.

Plus, it'd end up full of licensed cars and more licensed music and just end up a vehicle for advertising. The thing I loved about Burnout was the cars were just made-up shit. I don't give a damn if its a Ford or a Honda or whatever. Unfortunately, that rubbish appeals to the average person who might have their interest gathered by a racing game. Can you name a racing game that is successful these days without licensed cars? It just isn't possible without licensing.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Mismanagement and racers (outside of GT, Forza, or MK) generally not selling the way they used to. What's left of Criterion is generally a support studio these days.
Good news everyone, the developers that created Burnout are releasing a new arcade racer

I'd forgotten about this since its announcement. It just went back on my radar.

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Burnout and NFS were combined at the same time the handling physics were thrown in the trash, creating a game although had some burnout thrill never really went with it and poured bullshit all over the rest. I bailed on the series and went to more semi-sim experiences like DiRT or the forza horizon series with sim handling and could get my arcade fill on older NFS games or the crew.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Which game is that?

I'm also looking forward to Dangerous Driving. I just hope it isn't as light on content as the Danger Zone games were from the same devs. Both games had like an hour of gameplay.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
EA is the publisher.

Burnout 3: Takedown is literally the arcade racing formula executed to perfection. Why can't we just have more of that? Or even a remaster?! Why did Burnout have to go open world and fuck it all up in the process.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, pure arcade racers are dead. The ones that are being released either have some kind of open-world/sim/narrative/cinematic component to them, with nary any of the classic looseness/twitchiness/wildness in sight, or are indies without the kinds of production values needed to make them last...

It's bloody shame. The Motorstorm series was probably the last great Arcade Racing series that I loved and even then that was a dying breed come the 3rd game.

The early 00's were an amazing time for arcade racers.

We'll probably never get another 1080 Snowboarding, Excitebike or Wave Race, either. Nintendo can't even be bothered to make a new F-Zero these days and the public actually seem to want that one.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
EA is the publisher.
Burnout 3: Takedown is literally the arcade racing formula executed to perfection. Why can't we just have more of that? Or even a remaster?! Why did Burnout have to go open world and fuck it all up in the process.
For some reason people love the playground style of racing and checkpoint races.

However, I still remember the time where people feared the transition from PS2 to PS3, because Renderware could dominate the Enginegame for once and all. I thought Criterion will be a massive studio, but they crumbled almost to oblivion.

CrashedAlex

Three Fields Entertainment
Verified
Nov 10, 2017
Thanks for the supportive comments. We're a small team but I quit my job at Criterion and founded a development studio in order to continue making arcade racing games. They are not for everyone, but for those that love them, they can be a lot of fun.

Our new game "Dangerous Driving" is coming April 9th to both digital and physical stores.

To the poster saying our previous games were 'light on content' - well, this new game has over 75 events across all of my personal favourite game modes from the different games I directed between 2000-2008. The courses are, on average, longer than the courses in the first three "Burnout" titles with more corners.

To all those people wishing that the old games would come back - well, here you are, we're doing it. It's real and it exists. Please give us a chance and give us your support. Help us spread the word about the game. Most people simply don't know we exist.

The genre will never be dead as long as there are passionate developers and passionate fans!

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Because despite the high quality of the series, Burnout never really sold amazingly well.
ea-sales.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132275/npd_behind_the_numbers_november_.php?page=6

600k after a year of free content.

Even when NFS was terrible, it would still outsell Burnout. EA assigned Criterion to make a NFS game, hoping to capitalize on their quality vis-a-vis a public that won't buy games without "real cars" or even just the NFS name.

Didn't Burnout 3 sold more? My friends and I thought Paradise was a step-back, the open-world was received as a plus by many, but I think it was a step back. Fast, arcade challenges were a blast on B3, on Paradise I was bored pretty quick just navigating the world.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
To all those people wishing that the old games would come back - well, here you are, we're doing it. It's real and it exists. Please give us a chance and give us your support. Help us spread the word about the game. Most people simply don't know we exist.

The genre will never be dead as long as there are passionate developers and passionate fans!

Best of luck to you! :D

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thanks for the supportive comments. We're a small team but I quit my job at Criterion and founded a development studio in order to continue making arcade racing games. They are not for everyone, but for those that love them, they can be a lot of fun.

Our new game "Dangerous Driving" is coming April 9th to both digital and physical stores.

To the poster saying our previous games were 'light on content' - well, this new game has over 75 events across all of my personal favourite game modes from the different games I directed between 2000-2008. The courses are, on average, longer than the courses in the first three "Burnout" titles with more corners.

Keep up the good work, will totally be there day one for Dangerous Driving.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Publishers think that racing games (especially more arcadeish ones) are a tough sell in today's market.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
That's fair but what happens when a Battlefield game doesn't sell so well (but still does OK) and pappa EA wants to have a word?

In my opinion, there is no holy grail. You adapt and survive or you stagnate and you die. That goes for Battlefield and any other franchise out there.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Because EA didn't buy Criterion to make Burnout games, they bought them to snuff out NFS competition. So Criterion became a NFS studio. I'm pretty sure Burnout Paradise was EA letting them make a Burnout game but under EA constraints to kill the franchise. EA has a habit of doing that to studios they buy who still want to do their own thing. There's a reason that meme exists.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

I'm in.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Quick question, does this have HDR10 support?

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Pretty amazing that it hasn't had another proper game since Paradise, but the team behind it is dead. They won't recapture the magic.

Plus, it'd end up full of licensed cars and more licensed music and just end up a vehicle for advertising. The thing I loved about Burnout was the cars were just made-up shit. I don't give a damn if its a Ford or a Honda or whatever. Unfortunately, that rubbish appeals to the average person who might have their interest gathered by a racing game. Can you name a racing game that is successful these days without licensed cars? It just isn't possible without licensing.
Problem is there aren't even any racing games without licensed cars these days, so there's basically no way to see the sales potential.

I think publishers just kinda decided that they wouldn't do well even though there was basically no evidence

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

It's actually from The Crew 2. I hear it's actually pretty fun but was not even close to being worth $60 at launch, let alone whatever Ubisoft wanted for the editions with more content. When it's a $15 game I do want to pick it up to fart around with, mainly just to see the cool transitions like this and see how faithfully they represent all of the various cities in the game.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Burnout Paradise with its open world killed the franchise, it just felt wrong, I really disliked that game after the amazing Burnout 3.

EA is the publisher.

I remember this song was used by EA on one of their Fifa games lol.

Without the backing of a big publisher, this game is going to die, video only has 40k views, sad.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, without any cynicism
Really? Because you are asking why EA didn't make another entry in different engine on more modern consoles when their previous attempt at racing franchises have come short for quite some time now.

Burnout is one of the very few EA franchises that at least got a bone throw at fans with burnout remastered just last year, still the franchise is dead?

It's not ea that has to wake up.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved my Burnout game on PS2 and PSP... the most part of it that I loved where the challenges about causing mass destruction in the traffic!!! :D
It was a great arcade racer, really loved it.