• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
as long as it runs and doesn't crash the console, platform holders don't mind.
actually, i'm not sure if crashing is a big deal as long as it doesn't happen constantly. doesn't cold war crash on next gen consoles?

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This was a topic of discussion years ago on the bombcast. Sony lowered standards, Microsoft followed. There was pressure from third parties. Having the ability to patch games opened the window to slip through cert easier by claiming issues will be fixed in time for launch. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

I wish there was a higher standard of quality required before release. More and more games feel like you're buying early access alphas and betas than an actual finalized retail product.
Well the TRC has a lot more to do with console feature integration rather than performance/game bugs. Performance and game bugs are a hard thing to measure because how they impact the end user is subjective. Being able to complete a game, unlock achievements/ trophies, recognize controller disconnects, being able to get to the dashboard and back into the game are more the types of things being tested.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Watch Dogs Legion didn't have a functional save system for over a month, how the fuck did that pass certification.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
CDPR management deserves a ton of flack for shipping it in this state on base past gen consoles but so do Sony and MS for letting something that broken get through cert. This whole if it doesn't hard lock the system its good to go for big releases like 2077 is some nonsense that needs to stop, but of course it won't cause money. They'll just take some flak while CDPR burns their employees out even moreso getting it to a not completely broken state over the next few months while raking in the cash. Yet another reason and need for unionization.
They do this for all releases though. Just take a look at something like Alekhine's Gun. Trash is released on all platforms all the time. Everyone is very confused as to what is actually tested for cert and it really has nothing to do with performance and general game bugs.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
If you are seriously concerned about this as a consumer, stop preordering or buying games on day one. Wait and see how the game runs first.

I got burned when Nintendo released the Super Mario collection with the control method flipped and no option to fix it. They later patched it, but it reminded me once again to stop buying this stuff sight unseen.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Watch Dogs Legion didn't have a functional save system for over a month, how the fuck did that pass certification.
That's a bug that most people don't see. If a bug requires a sample size of thousands of players that becomes really hard to test. Console manufacturers probably didn't see this during their cert testing and Ubisoft might not have been aware either.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
This was a topic of discussion years ago on the bombcast. Sony lowered standards, Microsoft followed. There was pressure from third parties. Having the ability to patch games opened the window to slip through cert easier by claiming issues will be fixed in time for launch. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen.

I wish there was a higher standard of quality required before release. More and more games feel like you're buying early access alphas and betas than an actual finalized retail product.
I was gonna say, I feel like certification now kind of relies on faith that some issues will be fixed with a day 1 patch. Like I remember Travis Strikes Again on Nintendo Switch not having indication during the loading screens that the game hasn't froze, it was later patched to have a animated icon.

But stuff like framerate targets has never been what certification was for.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm peeved about the strobing lights thing. You'd think there'd be health and safety checks in place in a cert test.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm beginning to think as long as the code doesn't brick the console straight out of the gate, green-light!

Honestly, first post probably nails it.

tenor.gif

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
That's a bug that most people don't see. If a bug requires a sample size of thousands of players that becomes really hard to test. Console manufacturers probably didn't see this during their cert testing and Ubisoft might not have been aware either.
I think most people on XSX saw it, because the game didn't save properly. But point taken.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I'm beginning to think as long as the code doesn't brick the console straight out of the gate, green-light!
That's basically the point. So long as it doesn't brick the hardware or open up some kind of system-wide vulnerability to exploit, they consider it on the consumer to research what piece of crap they might be buying. QA is on the developer, not the console maker.

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
How would a game even brick a console? It seems to me like the OS wouldn't allow that.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's been said before and it will be said again, certification is not process for Q&A testing as you are implying , it's usually a process for checking things like have they used the correct Platform logo and have the used the correct controller diagram in the settings. Lots of Really tedious checkbox stuff that relates to policy, branding and legal.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Shit! If Nintendo can do it, why they cant? you see the type of shit that gets approved by Nintendo on the Switch?

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Certification isn't QA, they check for certain requirements like whether trophy system works, check whether the game doesn't ping the servers too much, uses proper terminology (so a DualShock 4 is called DualShock 4, for example) or whether the game behaves correctly when resumed from suspension state. If it doesn't crash during the process, they are not going to report it.