• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 25, 2018
I think (I haven't seen the show in years so i could be misremembering) there was an episode of The Big Guy and Rusty (possible the first episode/pilot) that showed or implied human soldiers melting.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Thread really not doing the obvious one, eh? Fine, I'll do it myself then.

I remember this and think of this song to this day. Truly holding out hope that we get a renewal someday like Samurai Jack.

A lot of stuff in here is the ol innuendo joke, educational stuff like Magic School Bus or just really dark cartoons like Watership Down but this stands out to me as full on acknowledgment of the sexual nature to what it was doing to with no grey area/ humor cause it was a plot point for their relationship and the development of her character moving forward.

(Totally Spies DID make kinks the driving force behind their shows conflicts often enough but doesn't address it)

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

Three pages and no mention of the most demented episodes of Punky Brewster? For shame. This two-parter was deeply unsettling and had Punky battling skeletons, creepy ghosts, and a giant freaking spider.

tumblr_inline_nwhm2uVm4V1t0ijhl_500.gif

Watch it for yourself here.
That episode has legit horror movie shit in it.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hilda season 2 has had some crazy shit.
David getting his head cut off (then revived, then cut off again, then revived)
An alternate timeline version of Hilda being eaten on screen by a giant time worm
This was what I was thinking about when I saw the thread. Unlike many of the examples here, Hilda's a show with a cute, soft, and innocent style, with little edge or innuendo. It's very much an unabashed children's show, albeit one that is respectful with the audience.

So seeing an eleven year old killed by decapitation was... Uh... Not what I was expecting.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Thread really not doing the obvious one, eh? Fine, I'll do it myself then.

Watching this again for the first time in awhile... what the hell was the context for it?

That reminds me, I made this thread a while back, and it probably qualifies.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/john-dillermand-he-has-the-worlds-longest-pee-pee.355942/

Anyway, in that thread someone posted this nightmare fuel of a show, which qualifies even more.

Is this hell? Am I in hell?

Oct 26, 2017
I truly believe that Sym-Bionic Titan scene only happened because Genndy had a lot of pull at CN. If it was anyone else, it probably would have been cut.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
IMO nothing in here comes close to that Teletubbies gif.

I'm so thankful I was a too old for this show. I remember it being pushed when I was in 6th grade or so and it's target market was more kindergarten I guess?

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figured I'd post the most gratuitous part but yeah it's something.

This seems better in context. I think a lot of kids see comically large features as funny (there's the german women stock character with comically large breasts and a profound accent in a lot of kids works) and she's transforming. I don't think its all that sexual because kids know what breasts are and don't really view them that way until puberty.

If fact most of these seem fine... kids aren't gonna understand if their not old enough and a lot of times the jokes are explicitly for parents who watch with their kids. Most of these characters are also around the age when they'd start making blue jokes like these with their friends.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
This seems better in context. I think a lot of kids see comically large features as funny (there's the german women stock character with comically large breasts and a profound accent in a lot of kids works) and she's transforming. I don't think its all that sexual because kids know what breasts are and don't really view them that way until puberty.

If fact most of these seem fine... kids aren't gonna understand if their not old enough and a lot of times the jokes are explicitly for parents who watch with their kids. Most of these characters are also around the age when they'd start making blue jokes like these with their friends.

saying "these jokes /situations aren't for the kids they wouldnt get it" means you completely missed the point of the thread tho :P

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Star Wars is supposed to be for kids, but it has the most decapitations, infanticide, genocide, slavery, and intergalactic banking I've ever seen.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
You might not be in the right demographic range to realize why it's such a, uhm.
Intriguing segment of animation.

Trust me, it got lots of kid's attention. And the only reason I rediscovered what the film actually was was because it got discussed on a furry art stream - because of people discussing what got them interested in the fandom, and other substantial aspects of their lives.
I might be projecting, but I know that "Two and two put together" situation isn't an isolated feeling.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Totally Spies must have had the weirdest shit imaginable. I was actually more of a casual viewer, but never paid much attention to the detail.

Guess I'll add anything that involves the Marilyn Maneuver.

Case in point, one moment in Superman TAS when Lois Lane's skirt flies up because of Clark flying close behind her.

"I gotta start wearing some pants!"

And of course there is her memorable "Nice S" line.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Superman TAS, how about the episode "The Late Mr. Kent" which twice shows a man about to be executed via gas chambers? First time the guy is innocent and Supes rescues him, sure, but second times its the actual bad guy, and he figures out that Clark is Superman right as the level to release the gas is pulled.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Was Totally Spies actually a good show? The only time I see it come up is in the context of "edgy kids shows"

Burai

Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: Haha, they've age restricted it, even though it originally went out at like 5pm on Children's BBC.

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
Was Totally Spies actually a good show? The only time I see it come up is in the context of "edgy kids shows"
Totally Spies is fine. It was a guilty pleasure when I was a kid but I've seen a couple of episodes as an adult and the humor actually holds up better than expected. It is a shameless Charlie's Angels parody which is pretty cool.