• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I don't remember much from Digimon, but based on what little I do remember, I get the impression Tamers was one of the most fucked up seasons and I think Jeri's character had to do with some of that.
tumblr_mw828zeiC91srvkxto6_500.gif

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
This pig toilet from Invader Zim

CCEAB851-AA37-4A86-9C00-90081BDF11D3.png

A lot of stuff in Invader Zim, really, like that time Zim harvested the organs of the kids in school to put them inside himself, or the scene where he removed some kid's eyes and replaced them with robotic ones, or when Zim gets his body juiced in a blender gun to kill monster sized lice, or when Dib's sister killed a guy for a video game, or when Zim sent rubber pigs to the past to destroy Dib's life and his father has to revive him as a cyborg.

The show was crazy.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shadow Raiders: War Planets, a 90s CG cartoon from the makers of Reboot and Beast Wars. It's effectively a cosmic horror story for kids, because the "villain" is a massive metal planet that's completely invulnerable (and I mean literally, it has a planet chucked at it and flies through a Sun without a scratch), and moves through space consuming other worlds and wiping out whole civilizations. It never speaks, no one knows what it is or where it came from, and the overarching goal of the protagonists in the series is just to escape from its path. Its "drones" it sends out are more regular villains that speak and interact with the heroes, but the Beast Planet itself is pretty hardcore.

In general the show features a lot of character deaths and a grim tone not unlike the later Battlestar Galactica reboot series. Even the ending of the series is quite grim tone wise:

They get lucky with some warp technology that teleports the Beast Planet to another galaxy, so they're all finally safe....and then the final scene of the series shows another planet about to be consumed far away, so it's left still out there rampaging, for infinity.

One of those shows that was made purely to sell toys but turned out better than expected. It was surprising how much of the show was basically children's Game of Thrones with characters trying to bribe, connive or brute force themselves into positions of power to try and stop a seemingly unstoppable force. I'm overselling it a bit as it is still a kids show but it felt weirdly more built up than it needed to be for a week to week adventure style show.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Gargoyles was always pretty much an adult show disguised as one for kids but the episode Future Tense took it to an insane new level wherein all the characters you grew to love over the series are killed in horrific ways.

OyraTgvwn3wTk8P0wmdSTly3S7vGJtMoxA58zVcmehqyZp45lTWrX8LFvKudehn31if5LtrF4QuKyG64RD7lABGtOpIrYFJr7XoLkSqNe_PUXJfx2ESmH7cMlULMSHgJg_SgkOLHL-fl6Pia3OAjEs9mriVYqg836w

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Rugrats got away with stuff too. I remember when Tommy, Phil and Lil were naked and Tommy goes "Uh, Lil... can I ask you something?"

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Gargoyles was always pretty much an adult show disguised as one for kids but the episode Future Tense took it to an insane new level wherein all the characters you grew to love over the series are killed in horrific ways.

OyraTgvwn3wTk8P0wmdSTly3S7vGJtMoxA58zVcmehqyZp45lTWrX8LFvKudehn31if5LtrF4QuKyG64RD7lABGtOpIrYFJr7XoLkSqNe_PUXJfx2ESmH7cMlULMSHgJg_SgkOLHL-fl6Pia3OAjEs9mriVYqg836w
I also really liked the gun violence episode in spite of it's "very special episode" vibe. It was realistic and portrayed the dangers accurately.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
There was a scene in Powerpuff Girls where they're introducing their friend to the Professor & he tells her that their creation was kind of an accident, to which she says "that's okay, my parents said I was also an accident!" & you get a quick shot of the Professor's shocked face.

Man, the '90s/early 2000s cartoons got away with so much.
I somehow (barely) emember that scene weirdly enough, probably more than anything else from that show.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
All of you coming in posting stuff from Simpsons, Teen Titans and other shows that weren't really aimed at children make me wonder if you just blindly think all cartoons are, but this:
As much as the show is tainted for me nowadays for very obvious reasons, but how the fuck did Ren & Stimpy air on Nickelodeon?!?

I mean, it paid off in the ratings. College kids watched the hell out of it, but still. What the hell?

This is the good shit. Ren & Stimpy got away with so much more than probably any popular cartoon ever. With how my mom was at the time I'm amazed I was allowed to watch it. And this was when it first aired on Nick, before being canned then moved to Spike with edited episodes and new ones that are awful for every reason imaginable. rock certainly belong up there, though. It was a really weird time for Nickelodeon cartoons...

OTOH, I still, to this day, have no idea how the hell the fingerprints joke from Animaniacs got through. You can't even feign ignorance or hide behind a really clever joke with a wink. It's right there.

The other part is that some "darker" stuff from some shows aimed at kids are the ones everyone remembers fondly because they're not insulting the kids by treating them like, well, kids. They're giving them a mature, memorable story where things actually happen that matter instead of Spongebob doing Spongebob things.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
A lot of stuff in Invader Zim, really, like that time Zim harvested the organs of the kids in school to put them inside himself, or the scene where he removed some kid's eyes and replaced them with robotic ones, or when Zim gets his body juiced in a blender gun to kill monster sized lice, or when Dib's sister killed a guy for a video game, or when Zim sent rubber pigs to the past to destroy Dib's life and his father has to revive him as a cyborg.

The show was crazy.

In hindsight, letting the guy behind "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" make a kids cartoon was a very weird choice on Nickelodeon's end.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Pretty much all of Nickelodeon in the 80s and 90s. They literally had (imported from Canada) a show named "You Can't Do That on Television. (It introduced the world to a young Alanis Morrisette) The sketches on that show could never be done seriously these days. Then there were their cartoons like Ren and Stimpy. Rocko's Modern Life. Etc.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all of Nickelodeon in the 80s and 90s. They literally had (imported from Canada) a show named "You Can't Do That on Television. (It introduced the world to a young Alanis Morrisette) The sketches on that show could never be done seriously these days.

I can't recall anything from YCDTOT that wouldn't fly today. Got any examples? It was just mostly gross out humor which will always be a staple with kids.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All of you coming in posting stuff from Simpsons, Teen Titans and other shows that weren't really aimed at children make me wonder if you just blindly think all cartoons are, but this:

This is the good shit. Ren & Stimpy got away with so much more than probably any popular cartoon ever. With how my mom was at the time I'm amazed I was allowed to watch it. And this was when it first aired on Nick, before being canned then moved to Spike with edited episodes and new ones that are awful for every reason imaginable. rock certainly belong up there, though. It was a really weird time for Nickelodeon cartoons...

OTOH, I still, to this day, have no idea how the hell the fingerprints joke from Animaniacs got through. You can't even feign ignorance or hide behind a really clever joke with a wink. It's right there.

The other part is that some "darker" stuff from some shows aimed at kids are the ones everyone remembers fondly because they're not insulting the kids by treating them like, well, kids. They're giving them a mature, memorable story where things actually happen that matter instead of Spongebob doing Spongebob things.

Teen Titans was definitely aimed at kids.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I can't recall anything from YCDTOT that wouldn't fly today. Got any examples? It was just mostly gross out humor which will always be a staple with kids.
It may be tame now but back then it was crazy. People getting executed for one. Every episode had at least one scene taking place in front of the firing squad. It's still a lot of stuff I'm surprised parents had no problems with it. Of course it was Canadian. But then again everything on Nick was imported back then. (Or reruns of black and white sitcoms)

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is that why the plugged was pulled? Not the audience that Nick wanted.
I don't think that was the sole reason as John K. was fired 1 and 1/2 years into the five-year run. The show constantly ran over budget and episodes were not delivered on time. At the end of his run he submitted an episode that was deemed to violent to air and that is considered to be the final straw that ended the run of the original team, but the seasons after that still were not really kids stuff. In the end I think it simply ended because the ratings were not good enough anymore.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Not a sex thing, but there's this one scene in Kamen Rider Gaim where a character gets crushed to death.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Is it "Hey Arnold" or "Rugrats" where there's an episode where their grandpa decays in the back of a bus and his jaw falls off?

Also, is there something I'm missing with the "you were a mistake" jokes? I remember them as a kid and understood them as just 'the parents weren't planning to have a kid when they got pregnant.' I didn't get the particulars but it didn't feel like a dirty joke either.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA

I'm dying!

Also notice something particular about those items?

starep11-31.jpg

Also from the Owl House.

I feel like every time Eda transforms back into her normal self from her beast form, it almost looks like she had a hangover.

Also let's not forget that time in MLP, when Rainbow Dash takes off Fluttershy's sheets and the latter blushes in embarrassment.

And I think there was one moment in Justice League Unlimited when Shayera was implying flipping the bird to some antagonists. And Diana being slapped in the ass in the original show.

Edit: X-Men TAS also had a quote that Rogue said as she is giving Scott CPR: "Come ON, pretty boy, make a girl feel welcome!"

Last edited:

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
Popee The Performer - It was a series of shorts revolving around a clown named Popee, a purple wolf named Kedamono, and the boss and father named Papi. In each episode (except Episode 1) at least one or all the characters featured in the episode will die some cartoony way or pretty dark way.
Its 2000 CGI anime that aired on a Japanese channel called Kids Show or something like that, had gore and showed disturbing imagery. It was similar to a creepypasta. Popee The Performer would air at random times, so there's no telling when show would come one.
In my opinion, this is the creepiest and darkest kids show you can get. If you want to go see it for yourself, you can watch the entire series on YouTube.

Animals of Farthing Wood - The show was about these animals who had to migrate to a safe place cause their home was being destroyed, and there was danger on the journey, there was A LOT of blood and death in the show, don't watch it if you are faint of heart, seriously, how many animals died brutally in that cartoon? And it was for KIDS.

Belle and Sebastian - It was weird enough hearing characters talk about flat out killing Belle, a Great Pyrenees dog that was falsely accused of being dangerous to others, and not the usual euphemisms they use, but they show her muzzled and strapped to the table about to be euthanized. Thankfully she escaped and was eventually pardoned.

Last edited: