• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
I just finished both these games on the Castlevania collection. I don't see how it's possible casually, especially Castlevania 3, which forces you to do the final level all over again if you lose all your lives to Dracula. Losing your hearts, sub-weapon and upgrades just seems so demoralising.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Patience, lots and lots of patience.

Also, if you didn't have a lot of disposable income back then, so if you got a game, you had to make the most of it.

It's basically how I beat the Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Get good, son.

edit: serious answer- game design philosophy was just different. A LOT of NES games took a lot of cues from arcade game design where "beating" the game wasn't possible, you just went as far as you could before losing.

Your casual gamer wasn't expected to "finish" games like Castlevania 1 or 3. They were expected to lose and (eventually) get better. "Finishing" the game was for exceptionally good players who mastered it.

Castlevania isn't even all *that* aggressive about it. SOME games (Fester's Quest comes to mind) would kick you all the way back to start if you lost a life no matter how far in the game you got.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Castlevania 3 was like the only game 9 year old me was able to afford in 1990 (my parents never bought me games). It was play that… or go outside.

I chose Castlevania 3.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Back in my day, we didn't have save states!

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
It was the way of things back then so I never thought twice about how different they were. I just played them over and over and over until I eventually beat them.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Game Genie.

At least 30% of boomers who told you they beat anything back then fair and square is lying to you.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
We were more talented as kids and less likely to be annoyed by a time wasting death.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Had a fucking LOT LESS to play at any time than we do nowadays. We had more time to practice.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
17927711.gif

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Now imagine you only have the weekend to play it before it goes back to the rental store.

Mar 5, 2019
Honestly, it took about as long for me to beat the last level of 3 as it did to beat the final boss of Sekiro.

Unlike a lot of games from back then, Castlevania was nice enough to have unlimited continues.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
It is like learning to play a song on an instrument. You are going to mess up a bunch but when you nail it the satisfaction is the best.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Castlevania 1 isn't that hard and is fairly short. The holy water is pretty much the only item you need to kill any enemy in the game.

Castlevania 3 is harder, but I would still say that games like Ghosts N Goblins and Super C are harder. Still, it is all about patience and practice.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You learned the game. Those enemies and enemy patterns are the same every time. You had to replay it a lot and, eventually, you would remember where to crouch or when to jump etc

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I do still have problems with Dracula in the original Castlevania as far as timing goes, but I think the level itself is what makes Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse so difficult to beat; the Dracula battle itself isn't that hard in comparison.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When you only had 1 or 2 games a year to play you got really good at them.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Infinite continues meant it was a hell of a lot more feasible to beat them than some of their contemporaries.

Also aside from some difficulty spikes (like the Death fight in CV1) they just flat out weren't as difficult as a lot of NES games.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
When you were a kid in the late 80s you got maybe a game or two a year. Length wise start to end they're not that long, but given the lack of alternatives you basically just devoted all your game time to nailing it.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
In Castlevania 1, just get a holy water with a multiplier block and it's way easier. Both are in the first level.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You should've seen Zelda.

We didn't have no walkthroughs or online guides. You literally had to find all of that shit on your own, and if you found something great you brought your map to school to show your friends where it was.

We bombed and pushed at everything.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Patience, lots and lots of patience.

Also, if you didn't have a lot of disposable income back then, so if you got a game, you had to make the most of it.

It's basically how I beat the Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda.

This

We only had a few cheap games, and whatever we could get loaned from our friends. Which wasn't hard because we were always a generation behind.

Don't underestimate some of effect is input / display lag as a little bit of this. I've played games on my Retropie on a normal older LCD, and my Analogue consoles + ~13ms lag OLED feels a lot better. I'm sure a CRT would feel better - having played some arcade games at our local arcade, they definitely feel snappier.

That said I don't think I ever quite beat Castlevania 1, I didn't have it as a kid besides a few rentals. I think I took my shot at it on the GBA and I only got about 3/4 of the way through it most of the time.

I'll add my 14 yr old daughter beat the NES version of Ninja Gaiden last year the hard way last year, mainly because I told her I'd buy her a PS5 down the road if she did it. She did leave the Analogue NT mini on for days at a time though to do it. It wasn't as hard as I remembered since you have infinite continues as long as you don't turn it off. And she used a few YT videos for strategies on a few tricky stages and the last boss.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
People used to buy couple of games per year, they had no choice

When you were a kid in the late 80s you got maybe a game or two a year. Length wise start to end they're not that long, but given the lack of alternatives you basically just devoted all your game time to nailing it.

Easy, you can get your hands on one or two games per year tops, and those are the only games you play.

Rentals existed and were pretty cheap. MOST kids were renting these things if they didn't have a ton of money.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We put dozens, if not hundreds, of hours into these games. They were a major part of our entertainment, and when they were new, it was easy to pour countless afternoons into them. We practised, memorized, and learned.

We approach video games of that era very differently today.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Easy, you can get your hands on one or two games per year tops, and those are the only games you play.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I just finished both these games on the Castlevania collection. I don't see how it's possible casually, especially Castlevania 3, which forces you to do the final level all over again if you lose all your lives to Dracula. Losing your hearts, sub-weapon and upgrades just seems so demoralising.

I first played and beat Castlevania 3 on the Wii Virtual Console, where you can't cheat with save states. It was on par with old Mega Man and Ninja Gaiden games, but that damn stage where you fight the doppelganger at the end... I think it took me 5-6 hours to get through it.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Also can I just point out that the Castlevania anime on Netflix covering the events of Castlevania 3 is bullshit…

Seriously, game would have been much easier if Sypha had a fraction of the power and agility of her anime counterpart…