• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Having had some recent success I can recommend the 'No more Mr Fat Guy' diet.

It doesn't rely on cutting calories or avoiding carbs but on two principles:

- Avoiding any kind of processed food
- Avoiding mixing carbs and fats

Therea a bit of useful science behind it and you do it in phases. First phase of 5 days is pretty hardcore to flush out processed foods. Phase 2 you start introducing carbs in isolation while you lose weight. Phase 3 maintain weight but guidelines to pretty much eat what you want within limits.

I find it much easier than Keto.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I don't actually need to lose weight, I just want to cut some excess flab from problem areas and feel more energetic overall. I'm 5'11, 164 lbs. so I think I'm ok.

It's the bread that kills me. I LOVE bread, man. I have started eating cauliflower rice though, it's very good

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Keto isn't for everyone. Paleo diet isn't for everyone.

My word of advice is just keep your overall calories down and focus on consuming carbs that have quality nutrition and don't contain unnecessary sugars. Getting most of your nutrition from your diet is ideal but don't neglect embracing supplements and whey protein powder(or vegan powder if u can't consume dairy).

Also the biggest thing you need to do is plan your meals for at least 3 days ahead always. That's the key to any diet for me. If you do decide to go low on carbs or with no carbs then it's impossible (at least for me) to maintain that diet without planning ahead because if you end up not having a meal prepped most restaurants and fastfood is utterly useless for going with no carbs

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I don't actually need to lose weight, I just want to cut some excess flab from problem areas and feel more energetic overall. I'm 5'11, 164 lbs. so I think I'm ok.

It's the bread that kills me. I LOVE bread, man. I have started eating cauliflower rice though, it's very good
There are a whole bunch of low carb wraps and tortillas out there in regular grocery stores which you can use to substitute. Won't give you the same delicious flavors and textures of really nice bread, but it's not bad. Some of the low carb tortillas are pretty much indistinguishable from their carb heavy counterparts.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Being low carb and avoiding the really heavy stuff has been much more manageable for me.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
cauliflower rice is a big thing now. it's not a perfect substitute but it can carry sauce and has like zero calories
Cauliflower rice. Just gotta season it right since it does a good job of adapting to whatever taste you provide it. Not as cheap as regular rice though obviously.

I've done low carb in the past but now eat carbs, but I still prefer cauliflower rice over regular rice just for the amount of volume I can eat.
I use it from time to time but it's not the same as delicious basmati :/

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
Like many others have said: you don't need to cut carbs to lose weight. Carbs are usually calorically dense, but you can reduce your end of day calorie count (it's literally the only way to lose weight) and still take in carbs. Just make sure you're eating ones that actually provide energy (e.g. black beans > white bread).

Also, eating strictly carb-free diet (meat, cheese, nut, etc.) has a massive carbon footprint compared to a diet heavy on complex carbohydrates. Can't imagine it's good for you either.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
Carbs, fats and proteins. These are your options.

"cutting carbs" is a generic catch phrase that over simplifies the idea.

what are vegetables if not carbohydrates?Vegetables, potatoes, plain rice and whole grain bread are carbs and are healthy for you. Just watch your calories and get some exercise.

Instead of cutting carbs try "carbs without sugar, protein without fat."

OP, if you love bread next time you're fixing to buy some bread check out the sugar content on the label. There's a bunch of delicious bread that's low in sugar. I just had some as toast for breakfast.

Nov 1, 2017
Carbs, like fats are fine and even necessary if you do a lot of exercising. They're not going to cause problems if most of your carbs come from whole foods like veggies and fruit, but keep breads whole grain and in moderation.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not convinced carbs are the issue, per se. You could chow down on nitrite-saturated sausage swimming in palm kernel oil without so much as a gram of carbs and it'll do a lot more damage to you than a small bowl of rice.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This here! I do much the same and it's been often enough to keep weight off.

I found cutting carbs a struggle too, so I just tried to nix a lot of obvious garbage from the diet (less desserts, white grains, burgers, chips, etc.).
Still allow the occasional "cheat day", some of the best moments in life are eating something lovely. ♥
exactly life is too short to do all that unless you need to at least do something temporarily. But people just fall back into bad habits vs pretty much just having less of the bad more of the good and have more balanced diet. Also ive resolved to have 30 mins of exercise each day as well.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Have been working through this a lot with my SO who was diagnosed diabetic, as well as my dad (same boat).

Some things we've found on the low-carbs side:
  • Learn to like veggies. Pan-fried brussels sprouts are our favorite.
  • Meat, nuts, and most dairy are generally OK.
  • For fruits, berries are a good pick (no pun intended). Raspberries in particular have a lot of fiber and low-ish carbs.
  • Sweets are tough, but you have some options. Dark chocolate is OK (takes some adjustment). Experiment with different low-cal sweeteners to find ones you like (it was Swerve for us).
  • There are some good replacements / alternatives out there for carb-y stuff. Look into nut flours and related recipes. Explore Cuisine makes an edamame-based fettucini that is really good.
Hope some of this is helpful. Good luck!

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Ketosis is for diabetic people and obese people who really need to cut weight OP. You're my height, but 30 pounds lighter. I'd recommend simply picking up weight training. Carbs can be put to use in the gym.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a terrible time to be trying out keto when you should probably be limiting your access to fresh veggies somewhat due to fewer grocery trips.

I would just count your calories, control your portion sizes, and cut out simple sugars if you can. Half the country is eating rice and pasta right now - just eat less.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, screw Atkins/Keto/cutting carbs. You need carbs. Mostly just focus on eating good natural food- so keep eating those bananas and raisons as snacks (in lieu of chips/cookies/cakes/ other packaged snacks). Make a sandwich with that wheat bread for lunch if you please with some carved meat and veggies (2 slices of wheat bread won't kill you) . Eat eggs and piece of wheat toast for breakfast. Eat a plate meat and veggies for dinner (with a small carb serving if you please- just make it whole wheat/whole grain.

Stay away from the junk foods, processed crap, boxed crap, and white flour based goods, and excess sugar (though again, an occasional small treat in moderation is OK (just go for the single scoop of ice cream rather than the 3 scoop double fudge and marshmallow sundae, or one cookie instead plowing down an entire row of oreos)and I guarantee you will meet whatever "goal" you are trying for while still enjoying more modest portions of the carbs (and occasional treats) you like.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017

You're not gonna cut excess flab without losing weight. Judging by your height and weight, you're probably just skinny-fat and should start doing some kind of resistance training.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Meat and cheese and cheese and meat.

it sucks hardcore for the first few days, after that's it's not all that bad. Those "keto 1" or whatever drink mixes help a TON starting out.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I really need to do this and I feel like everything the human body is wired to eat has carbs in it.

Bananas? Carbs

Raisins? Carbs

Wheat bread? Still carbs

Anyone have any advice on how to do this without going insane? I've lost a shit ton of weight before so I feel like this takes a special kind of willpower beyond even eating healthy and working out.

My wife has lost 50lbs in the last 6 months cutting them. We've had awesome meals despite it.

I've lost 20lbs, so she's killing me in the head to head, lol.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Can't cut out all carbs, but can cut out all added sugar quite easily. Eat complex carbs and reduce overall calories and you're well on the way to weight loss.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Carbs is basically Sugars, so anything that has Sugar or is made with Sugar has Carbs in most scenarios.

I will say just cut Calories, you can still eat anything, just in smaller amounts.

Check how many calories you need to eat daily to survive, based on your age, weight, height, etc and then just eat less than it tells you.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Fruits are fine. All produce items have carbs, but less than bread for example.

just cut bread, chips, etc. stay away from potatoes, they're loaded.

Fruits, green veggies, yams, lean meats, water is what you're looking for.

bigsnack

May 9, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm a full believer in keto. I know I feel best when I'm doing it, and I know that refined sugar is an addictive substance. That being said, it's takes incredible self control, and to be honestly I want to enjoy moments like taking my kids out for ice cream, etc. A long time ago I cut out all refined carbs as a regular staple in my diet. That includes rice, pasta, bread, sweetened drinks. We don't buy pasta / rice, and we only have water to drink in the house. We allow ourselves days to eat whatever we want at special events such as birthday parties, and I feel like that is a good balance for us and the kids. Everyone in our immediate family eats like this in general, and we are all on the lower end of "normal" BMI (whatever that means). Nobody in our immediate family has had any dental trouble at all either, no gums troubles, no root canals, no cavities. Neither of my kids have had a cavity.

I never restrict calories intentionally, I eat until I'm full. My lunch is very similar nearly every day: Double cheeseburger, lettuce wrapped, bacon, avocado, fried egg, pickles. With fat heavy meals like that, I don't get hungry in the traditional sense. I would eat more fruit, but I have allergies to a lot of them so I found it easier for me to just avoid them altogether. The benefits of avoiding refined carbs are measurable, especially in my life. Moderation for me is not including them as a regular part of my diet, but everyone is different. Good luck!

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to cut carbs completely, just back off them lol
Try to stay under 100grams.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
You're not gonna cut excess flab without losing weight. Judging by your height and weight, you're probably just skinny-fat and should start doing some kind of resistance training.
Seconding this. You might lose some of the flabbiness through low carb because you won't be carrying around as much water weight (because carbs retain water), but it really sounds like you need to work on your body composition through resistance training instead. Coincidentally, carbs will help fuel your training.

Can't really suggest hitting the gym with everything going on right now, but you could try to get started doing at-home bodyweight exercises.

Conmex

Banned
May 19, 2018
I only do low carb (50g or less) to lose weight. Its the most effective way.

There's no point in cutting healthy carbs if you're just maintaining.

Conmex

Banned
May 19, 2018
Stop eating starch, forget about overall carbs. Fruits and vegetables have carbs, but they are low calorie dense and very satiating, so you won't get excess calories.

The problem with starchy foods is that they have high calorie density, and very low satiating power. Dangerous combination.
Fruit is like the least satiating food in my experience.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is rice really that bad? Almost all my dinner meals that has meat or fish also have some vegetables and pasta(often rice) to accompany it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to cut out all carbs unless you're following a very specific or special diet... The key should be cutting out refined sugars and breads.

Aiming for 100g of carbs a day is really doable and you'd be surprised how easily you can cut out literally hundreds of carbs from sources you really don't care about (juices/soda, etc)

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I really need to do this and I feel like everything the human body is wired to eat has carbs in it.

Bananas? Carbs

Raisins? Carbs

Wheat bread? Still carbs

Anyone have any advice on how to do this without going insane? I've lost a shit ton of weight before so I feel like this takes a special kind of willpower beyond even eating healthy and working out.

Low carbs is not no carbs. There's carbs in natural foods everywhere.

If you really want to persist with a low carb diet, you have to cut out the staple.. i.e. rice/noodle/bread/cornflakes/potatoes.

If your goal is NOT ketosis but just managing carbs, it's not that hard.

Hitting and maintaining ketosis is hard

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
There are good carbs too, it's not all bad.

For example, enriched white flour bread vs. sprouted grain bread.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Carbs are an essential macro-nutrient like protein and fat. You shouldn't be cutting it at all. Focus instead on cutting your calories in general. If there is any food stuffs you should try to cut down to zero as much as possible, its sugar and alcohol.

Mar 30, 2019
29a4e008-ae77-4089-b44e-e10b63192c0f--2017_0822_EmilyDryden_EDIT_a-better-way-to-slice-bread_036.jpg

Couldn't resist.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't cut out all carbs, just go low carb. I used to eat at least 3 cups of rice a day, on top of other carb heavy foods. I stopped last May and went from 315 to 219 today.

And that's with me having a cheat day every week.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
You can cut it by consuming less of it. Half a banana. 1 piece of bread. Half bowl of noodles. Etc.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Just eat raw foods as much as possible. My heart condition forced to change what I eat so max 1 banana per day, 1 Apple or whatever fruit is in season. Salad daily with very minimal dressing. Lots of cherry/grape tomatoes and celery stalks for snacking. Just make sure the calories you do eat are in the most healthy form you can consume which means no fast food, minimal packaged foods. Dropped 20 lbs in 6 months even though I was at the edge of being barely barely overweight when I started. It was (and is) still brutal to say no to foods I enjoy but it's so worth it when I walk (no more knee issues) and look in the mirror/scale.

Oct 31, 2017
I started dieting last month and have lost 8 pounds. I kind of had that same dilemma about carbs, but carbs are not bad. Using MyFitnessPal, I have usually hit from 100-150g carbs per day. I still have wheat bread and whole wheat wraps which is where my carbs come from, but to lose weight, the calories you eat in total is more important. There's alot of good advice in this thread.

Nov 1, 2017

My mans... If you are complaining about flab at 5'11 and 164lbs then you are in all likelihood skinny fat.

Meaning you probably don't have enough muscle mass for the little fat that you do have to be be spread more evenly across your body. More surface area of lean mass = less flabby bits.

At this point your main concern should be gaining overall strength and muscle mass if you want to look better. Simply put if you gain 15lbs of lean body mass (without gaining too much fat) from strength training you will look far more in shape and even leaner than you were even though you weigh more.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

coincidentally, I just looked up ideal weights vs that same height and you are right in the ballpark, so if anything instead of dieting you probably want to work on resistance training to build muscle to fill out your frame as is. Planks, push-ups, squats...