• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The truth is most arcade games were designed to fuck your shit up as quickly as possible and make you funnel in more quarters.

When you consider something like the insane difficulty of the original Donkey Kong, which is crushingly hard from the very outset, you realize how often these games were designed to kill you off within literal seconds or a minute tops.

At least with SFII, there were ways to cheese the game. MK on the other hand was like dolling out money to be battered; I still get the shakes thinking about the CPU from MK3.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Was just going to say the same thing.

That's unfortunately the result of a bug in the US Arcade release..

The difficulty toggle has a invalid integer value so on the lowest setting it rolls over into the highest setting. The only time this was ever fixed was in the PSX version of Super Turbo part of the SF Collection. I still don't understand why they didn't fix this bug in more recent versions of the game such as the SF 30th Collection.

Yep. Not even worth playing ST SP. While Im happy to play 3s and A3 online, its straight up bs they didn't do a simple fix so people could actually attempt to enjoy ST's arcade mode.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
At least with SFII, there were ways to cheese the game. MK on the other hand was like dolling out money to be battered; I still get the shakes thinking about the CPU from MK3.
The CPU in MK3 wasn't as bad as in UMK3 though. Fuck you, Jade!

I remember forever ago someone asked a producer or designer on SF2 why characters like Guile and Blanka can throw out back charge moves while walking forward, and their response was something like "They're the computer. They can do whatever they want."

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Does this apply to home console (SNES) versions too? That's what I played most as a kid.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nov 2, 2017
The attacks being unblockable suddenly sends me to flashbacks where I'm screaming "FUCK YOU I WAS BLOCKING!" and being made fun of by my buddy or brothers for just sucking. YOU MOTHER FUCKERS CAPCOM!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Don't even need to watch the video for my blood to start boiling having flashbacks about all the CPU cheats, especially when you cranked up the difficulty on the home versions! LOL

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, finding out that the CPU straight up breaks the rules of the game in several ways a while back kind of takes 100% of the appeal of playing these older fighting games arcade ladders. It means learning the mechanics don't matter as much as finding the holes in the AI. You're not allowed to play the game unless youre playing against another human so much as find the cracks and force your way through not really engage with the game and the tools you're given.

Well said. Growing up my friends and I all had 2 completely different playstyles depending on fighting the CPU or humans. Beating the CPU was more about move execution and, more importantly, figuring out the cause and effect puzzle of forcing the CPU to give you a clean open. Like with Zangief and Boxer crouching foward kicks would make the CPU jump and you could either axe kick them or dragon punch. Every character had AI weaknesses like that and if you tried to fight them heads-up like you would fight a human you had a high chance of getting dusted.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Great video, a very sobering watch D: Nice to get actual confirmation on things I've always suspected and more.

Honestly it's something I really like about Ultra Street Fighter II on Switch, the AI's actually reasonably balanced. The input for specials also being more forgiving was appreciated. Both of those going back to punishing arcade standards on the SF collection was a bit rough

When you consider something like the insane difficulty of the original Donkey Kong, which is crushingly hard from the very outset, you realize how often these games were designed to kill you off within literal seconds or a minute tops.

So happy they gave the option for the Japanese version on the Switch port, I prefer it by far due to original level order and much, much more reasonably balanced difficulty!

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
The truth is most arcade games were designed to fuck your shit up as quickly as possible and make you funnel in more quarters.

The thing is, Donkey Kong doesn't deserve the shot. It was more of an old-school, first generation arcade game. Like Pac-Man, Defender, Robotron.

1st gen arcade games may have cost a quarter and even been made to be hard-as-balls, but they were fair. Certain people could become wizards and play them for hours on end, just because of how much they could master the game. In this way, these games aspired to be something other than revenue streams, hoping to reach all-time heights of game design like Chess or Backgammon.

Once 2nd gen came along and "Insert Coin to Continue" debuted, you started to see all this shit with the CPU pulling bullshit cheap moves to end your one-quarter run and force more money out of you. I am, in fact, intimately familiar with all the bullshit detailed in this video. Anyone from that era has rolled their eyes directly at an arcade machine and exclaimed "come on!"

It's literally the debut of the shitty micro-transaction, "Insert Coin to Continue" and what it did to the quality of game design.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought it was weird but in MK if you won with mild looking fight, sometimes the next match wouldn't be so ramped up in difficulty but if you are just in their face destroying them without giving them a breather, I swear difficulty jumps like 10x in the following match. Also sometimes it seems like if you lose the fight, that difficulty will stay the same until you switch characters and then sometimes it eases off a bit. Maybe I'm crazy, but that that always seemed to be the case in MK and SF. Probably the dumbest thing I thought was true.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Now do Fifa. The game definitely still cheats players to this day. These 90 minute goals need to stop!!!

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
SF arcade games were notorious cheaters, especially if you'd perfected everyone up to Bison.

Bison could literally one-hit-kill you if you'd perfected the game up to that point on every round.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I always knew the CPU didn't have to abide by any "charge time" or even proper button inputs for super moves. Super moves are just something they call instantly at will.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking knew it! CPU matches used to be rage inducing sometimes

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I hope he does the same with Killer Instinct arcade. I swear in that game if you were doing good and winning matches, the CPU could empty 80% of your life bar with a fucking triple combo.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
In Killer instinct, a single combo by the AI would do like 90% of your life.
Spinal would land one combo and you'd be dead.

Pretty bullshit.

EDIT: Beaten

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still get furious when arcade operators crank the difficulty on their SFII cabinets. One fight against Honda or Blanka will convince you it's a carnival game style ripoff. People feed quarters into those cabinets thinking 'wow, I'm just bad at this game' but in reality the damn thing straight cheats. If you put quarters in and wait for an opponent, you'll be dead before someone approaches the cabinet because the game straight steals your cash.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I've always been unsure if I wanted to call Street Fighter II a good game or not. I enjoy the PvP but the game is pretty awful versus CPU.

The damage from (multi-hit) throws from the CPU was the absolute worst.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The thing is, Donkey Kong doesn't deserve the shot. It was more of an old-school, first generation arcade game. Like Pac-Man, Defender, Robotron.

1st gen arcade games may have cost a quarter and even been made to be hard-as-balls, but they were fair. Certain people could become wizards and play them for hours on end, just because of how much they could master the game. In this way, these games aspired to be something other than revenue streams, hoping to reach all-time heights of game design like Chess or Backgammon.

Once 2nd gen came along and "Insert Coin to Continue" debuted, you started to see all this shit with the CPU pulling bullshit cheap moves to end your one-quarter run and force more money out of you. I am, in fact, intimately familiar with all the bullshit detailed in this video. Anyone from that era has rolled their eyes directly at an arcade machine and exclaimed "come on!"

It's literally the debut of the shitty micro-transaction, "Insert Coin to Continue" and what it did to the quality of game design.

I think fair is a relative term. I get what you're saying and I don't disagree in terms of design but by just about any metric, DK was fucking nuts at how difficult it was from the first screen.

Even games like Robotron and Pac-Man weren't quite as unforgiving.

But yes, it certainly falls under the category of old school arcade design coupled with it being a burgeoning medium at the time.

But goddamn is DK a difficult game. :)

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I've always been unsure if I wanted to call Street Fighter II a good game or not. I enjoy the PvP but the game is pretty awful versus CPU.

The damage from (multi-hit) throws from the CPU was the absolute worst.
I think it's fair to recognize SF2's significance and also admit that it isn't a particularly good game.
SSFT2 is an all-time great though.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I only played Rainbow edition SF2. Go ahead, try your bullshit when my Shoryuken clears half the screen and also fires 8 hadokens at the same time.

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao hilarious.....i knew i wasnt crazy!!!

Someone should post that vid to Ed Boon's Twitter account and tell him it's time to fess up about MK2 and UMK3 especially

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
MK2 Arcade was literally broken. AI's could counter uppercut you on reaction at a speed humanly impossible. Also forget trying to land a throw on the opponent because your shit won't connect. Kitana and Mileena bullshit suplex on reaction any one? Yeah...

Other than that the AI was dumb as a box of rocks. Jump away from the opponent and they would jump in after you giving you free range to roundhouse them out of the sky or any anti-air follow up.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Anyone know of a list of fighting games where the CPU is actually fair, plays by the games rules and doesn't do scummy cheating like in here?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know of a list of fighting games where the CPU is actually fair, plays by the games rules and doesn't do scummy cheating like in here?
Tekken, mostly. Some of the later games have bosses with advantages over the player, but the majority of games (and, even in later games, the vast majority of the time), the CPU can only do what you can do.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
It's an easy way to increase the difficulty. It was still possible to beat the game though so in the end the cheat was maybe necessary otherwise the game would have being too easy. I guess.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I was playing Turbo on the SNES classic a few nights ago and thought they fixed the AI by the time they got to Turbo, but M Bison kept walking forward and doing Psycho Crusher 😔

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
That's 100% cheating dood!

But yeah, I always knew something was up when I played against the A.I. in that game!

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah anyone that spent time in the arcades kr with the console versions can confirm this. It was definitely worse in the arcades but it was still an issue with the snes versions of SF2 and MK2. Impossible moves and reaction times were the norm.
I remember pounding the controls to get dhalsim or balrog to headbutt for as long as the cpu did. Blanka's bite attack was so long it became an inside joke among my friends and I.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Great video.

But the only game I really remember feeling like bullshit was Mortal Kombat II on the hardest difficulty setting.

Even putting in the cheat code where all you had to do is hit your opponent once for an insta-kill would not be enough most of the time.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Personaly nothing comes close to Mortal Kombat 2 AI annoyance, grabs you out of anything, instant counter your uppercuts with another uppercut, instant wake up anti air, so many bullshit.