• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Yea I mean.... It's really Japanese. Didn't really go over well in Western Markets. It has a layer of dread that most Western audiences don't experience in horror.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't comprehend how upon hitting it's third year anniversary, Parasite Eve just fell off and nobody likes it anymore. It's crazy because it was such a great game.

*that must be the Third Birthday people are talking about because they never made a terrible not PE game with that title right*

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
PE2 was different, but nowhere near a "bad" game. SE had such potential to take Aya and make her a great long-running character, instead.... third birthday. I'm still livid to this day.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
3rd birthday makes me as upset as the ending of Star Trek Enterprise. It's so upsetting.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, random hostile SWAT teams are a known hazard at weddings worldwide

Also... what the fuck
I'm 99% sure that Wreck-It Ralph used it as a parody.
a7195b069564148606a6df0833e0f389.gif

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't just assassinate Aya Brea, they killed her, dismembered the corpse, burned the parts, scattered the ashes and salted the earth. Then accused anyone who knew her of being a peado for good measure.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
You really played PE1 and think 3rd Birthday is better? 3B gets less credit than it deserves as a solid PSP shooter, but it's a sharp step down as an overall game.
Yea I mean.... It's really Japanese. Didn't really go over well in Western Markets. It has a layer of dread that most Western audiences don't experience in horror.
Nah the Metro games also have very bleak settings/situations, that's not the issue, and I do like that aspect of 3B's plot.

I suppose I agree that it's too 'Japanese' in how it tries to be overly coy with the plot, made worse by the narrative train wreck of a finale.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
You really played PE1 and think 3rd Birthday is better? 3B gets less credit than it deserves as a solid PSP shooter, but it's a sharp step down as an overall game.

Nah the Metro games also have very bleak settings/situations, that's not the issue, and I do like that aspect of 3B's plot.

I suppose I agree that it's too 'Japanese' in how it tries to be overly coy with the plot, made worse by the narrative train wreck of a finale.
No eastern horror just goes to another level. It's not just bleakness or darkness. They hold you in place where you feel like you can't escape and then break you. Paranormal Activity vs The Wailing... The Exorcist vs. Metamorphosis... Insidious vs. Satan's Slaves...

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
No eastern horror just goes to another level. It's not just bleakness or darkness. They hold you in place where you feel like you can't escape and then break you. Paranormal Activity vs The Wailing... The Exorcist vs. Metamorphosis... Insidious vs. Satan's Slaves...

Don't see how that would relate much to 3rd Birthday's reception as the impact of horror in 3B falls completely flat. The final reveal is more ridiculous than anything.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Don't see how that would relate much to 3rd Birthday's reception as the impact of horror in 3B falls completely flat. The final reveal is more ridiculous than anything.
They killed Aya and revealed it in the final act.. at her wedding... she switched minds with her clone and you realize you weren't playing the character you thought the entire game... who was a weak child like character that actually added to the plot of her weakness.. in a world that was ruined by weird tentacle monsters.. there's no hope in this story whatsoever, besides maybe the hint that Aya may still be alive somehow.. but for all intents and purposes of this game she is dead.

It's not ridiculous. It's different. People wanted something else and instead they got true despair. It's got J horror written all over it.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
It's not ridiculous. It's different. People wanted something else and instead they got true despair. It's got J horror written all over it.
Bit of a weird thing to say considering that the original game is literally a sequel to a Japanese horror novel and was vastly better received than The 3rd Birthday but okay.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
I still can't comprehend how upon hitting it's third year anniversary, Parasite Eve just fell off and nobody likes it anymore. It's crazy because it was such a great game.

*that must be the Third Birthday people are talking about because they never made a terrible not PE game with that title right*

It's like GoT. The finale was so bad that people just forgot about it.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Bit of a weird thing to say considering that the original game is literally a sequel to a Japanese horror novel and was vastly better received than The 3rd Birthday but okay.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. It's not better than the first game, novel/film.. but it is really interesting. I got feels with this game more than the other 2. I also felt really fucking sad and hopeless after the credits rolled. It just felt more inline with the horror genre.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Different strokes for different folks I guess. It's not better than the first game, novel/film.. but it is really interesting. I got feels with this game more than the other 2. I also felt really fucking sad and hopeless after the credits rolled. It just felt more inline with the horror genre.

Guess it is interesting for a game to go 'haha you're a pedo' after the incredibly insulting twist is revealed.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Umm wat?? Yea I have no idea what you're talking about. This sounds like you just hate the game cause it's cool to do..

Cool thing to do? oh please I hate this terrible game for my own reason.

Fuck this game for what it does to Aya and the incredibly creepy way it treated Eve in Aya's body. The sexualization and objectification was happening to an underage girl, all for a twist that was triggered for no reason.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, it's garbage.

And it sounds like you're intent on defending the game with a completely silly "It's just too different for Western audiences" take but ok..
But...it is objectively too different for western audiences? That's been my argument the entire time... Japanese horror goes further than western horror.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing concerns of sexualisation of minors as cultural difference.
Cool thing to do? oh please I hate this terrible game for my own reason.

Fuck this game for what it does to Aya and the incredibly creepy way it treated Eve in Aya's body. The sexualization and objectification was happening to an underage girl, all for a twist that was triggered for no reason.
How is an underage girl objectified? Isn't the protagonist over 21? I'm not sure I follow, maybe you mean Maya's conscious? Regardless, cultural differences, I don't agree with them, but there's more going on with this game than you give it credit for. Than most ppl give it credit for.. Anyway, its downright despair and it's ok that you didn't like it. This game ripped my stomach open and I enjoy real horror that makes me feel hopeless. No one wins, there is no good conquers all here. Everyone loses. The clothing thing was stupid as fuck and gimicky. I will agree to that. But the story was pretty damn crazy and it made it more than what western audiences appreciate, good v evil.. good always wins cliches..

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
But...it is objectively too different for western audiences? That's been my argument the entire time... Japanese horror goes further than western horror.
Entirely depends on what games you play. Japanese horror does not uniformly "go further" than wester horror. That's a completely reductive argument and using it for a game with a plot so compromised that multiple characters appear and disappear for no reason and a plot that is predicated on ridiculously convoluted and contrived circumstances is nonsense.

Western audiences didn't "not get the game", they called it out for being nonsense in the plot department. You can find the ultimate state of the game world bleak but the events that lead up to it are dumb. People not liking the games plot has nothing to do with "layers of dread" that we apparently don't get in Western horror or because "good always wins" (again, a completely silly argument when there are plenty of deeply dreadfilled and horrific western horror media to experience). It has everything to do with how the plot is nonsense.

All you've done is show your own ass on how limited your exposure to western horror is.

EDIT: And I see that you handwaved the pedophilia issue by saying "cultural differences". Good lord.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
How is an underage girl objectified? Isn't the protagonist over 21? I'm not sure I follow, maybe you mean Maya's conscious? Regardless, cultural differences, I don't agree with them, but there's more going on with this game than you give it credit for. Than most ppl give it credit for.. Anyway, its downright despair and it's ok that you didn't like it. This game ripped my stomach open and I enjoy real horror that makes me feel hopeless. No one wins, there is no good conquers all here. Everyone loses. The clothing thing was stupid as fuck and gimicky. I will agree to that. But the story was pretty damn crazy and it made it more than what western audiences appreciate, good v evil.. good always wins cliches..

What in the hell.

Eve is absolutely not 21. Even if she's in Aya's body that does not erase the fact that Eve is still underaged girl as the battle damage rips the clothes from her.

Cultural differences is not excuse.

Kientin

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017

This is kind of an odd statement to make. Most Japanese made horror titles seem to be very well received or at least have a sizable fan base. Siren, Rule of Rose, Fatal Frame, the Silent Hill run made by Team Silent seem to get near universal praise when they are brought up. The Evil Within, Ao Oni, the more horror focused Resident Evil titles, and Clock Tower all seem to have sizable fan bases when they are brought up. Outside of games, everyone seems to love Junji Ito (for good reason) whenever he is brought up on this forum.

I'm not a big enthusiast on horror, but I do love me some horror elements in my games. So I don't really have much in the way of deep cuts, but it's kind of wild to say since they don't like my game Western audiences just don't get Japanese horror. It seems like kind of a convenient way to brush all criticisms of a game under the rug.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point even I'd even settle for a Parasite Eve concert with Yoko Shimomura... This series is too forgotten

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
This game is infamously bad.

I did an LTTP on how mind-blowingly bad I found the story to be...
www.resetera.com

LTTP: The 3rd Birthday, is this still Parasite Eve? [Image heavy + NSFW + Spoilers]

So after falling in love with the original Parasite Eve, and somewhat enjoying the sequel, I decided to dive into the third game. Even though I was warned about the writing, I was still baffled by its plot. My reaction when I was done with the game... Here's my summary of the story, as I...

only to find out there was already a pages long discussion about the bonkers story lol
www.resetera.com

In the "worst story ever" department, I summon The 3rd Birthday

Parasite Eve was a beloved game about a cop dealing with her past in order to save the city of New York from a parasitic threat. It expanded on the story laid out by the original novel in a way that was compelling and interesting as an horror game. The sequel didn't reach those heights, but it...

Jun 13, 2020
Turns out Other M wasn't even the worst character assassination in the year it came out.

Or the dumbest.

"What if Samus was THE BABY all along?"
I will argue that Other M was more baffling. It has exactly the type of storytelling I'd expect from a SE game, but somehow it was produced and approved by Nintendo. It's so odd.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Parasite Eve.

That's a name I've not heard in a long time. I a long time.

I'd love to have Square-Enix do a complete Remake of the original one day. What an awesome game. Will watch this video as soon as I can. I don't think I've ever heard of this channel before!

I remember enjoying the gameplay of 3rd Birthday, but that story was definitely trash. So disappointing.