• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Great review done by a fan of the Parasite Eve series. If ya'll wanted a refresher course of what went down with the plot and characters, I recommend watching the video.
Seriously, the fact that Square Enix let a plot like this exist in one of their games always baffled me.

babycakin

Nov 2, 2019
The Sphere Hunter's videos are awesome. Goes into great detail about the big misses of the game... and that twist lol.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This game is such a thorough case of character assassination you just can't trust anyone who worked on this game anymore. No one should have been surprised to see what happened to Luna in FFXV after playing this.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Thanks will watch, PE is such a forgotten series. It was VERY problematic with how sexualized Ada was, but otherwise it was super fun.

ZeoVGM fair enough, will delete

Last edited:

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I always thought it was licensing more than anything that killed the series.

but yeah, great playing game but absolutely trash story and damn them for their treatment of Aya and Eve.

kind of surprised copies go for such much though.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I always thought it was licensing more than anything that killed the series.

but yeah, great playing game but absolutely trash story and damn them for their treatment of Aya and Eve.

kind of surprised copies go for such much though.

Making a sequel to your game based on a novel after you decided not to pay to keep using the rights to use the novel probably wasn't a great move, yeah. Admittedly, all the novel contributed to the games was "Oh yeah, this crazy mitochondria bullshit happened in Japan a while ago", so they probably figured they were in the clear with using their OCs.

It didn't end well.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. Was great like most of her videos.

Really shame what happened to the Parasite Eve series.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible fucking game that destroyed a great character in Aya. Loved the first two games and the third I try to forget exists.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There are good games and there are bad games.

This game and Other M are the only games that continue to make me ANGRY at how offensively they tarnished some incredible heroines.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure this game ruined a certain percentage of gaming for me. I became extremely jaded with getting hype for anything gaming again after this. I was so excited when the announcement trailer dropped.

Never again gaming, never again.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
They need to reboot it entirely with like bioshock style plasmids gameplay in 3rd person shooter form. Revamp the weapons mod from the original too.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
There is no 3rd birthday

only parasite eve 1 and 2.

Also Parasite Eve 2 is one of the greatest games of all time and needs a remake

OP
OP
Demon Lizardman
Oct 25, 2017
Considering a lot of people who worked on this is working on FF7 Remake, think they'll
force you to kill Aerith?

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing someone post a very long summary of this games plot back on Gaf years ago and it just sounded like the most awful ridiculous thing.

Suzi goes into good detail in the video as to why this game is best left in the trash bin. I honestly can't imagine being a Parasite Eve fan and having this come out as the long awaited sequel to PE2.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3rd birthday is a microcosmos of the game industry regarding female protagonists.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
The ending is so bad, that SE will take down any video that shows it! And wow, this does feel similar to Other M in ways, and both came out the same year. That is so wild and messed up.

Anyway, another great video from Suzi, who definitely took off the kids gloves for this.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I would say Parasite Eve 2 killed the series by trying to turn it into a shitty Resident Evil clone. Parasite Eve is the only game in the series worth playing.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand what even happened to Aya (the real Aya)? It felt like they just "Chrono Crossed" her with no explanation, if you get what I mean

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest, the first one is the only real good game in that series. I didn't even make it through the second one because it felt so off for some reason.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Man, fuck T3B... I miss Parasite Eve so damn much. Remake it and 2, Square!

Oct 25, 2017
People learning about the plot of the game here is always an amusing read:
www.resetera.com

In the "worst story ever" department, I summon The 3rd Birthday

Parasite Eve was a beloved game about a cop dealing with her past in order to save the city of New York from a parasitic threat. It expanded on the story laid out by the original novel in a way that was compelling and interesting as an horror game. The sequel didn't reach those heights, but it...

I still want someone else to try that style of gameplay, a shame it's married (HEH) to... everything else.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest, the first one is the only real good game in that series. I didn't even make it through the second one because it felt so off for some reason.
That's because the first game is a Japanese-American production by Square USA, unlike the second one (and especially unlike the third one who went full anime)

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I only played the first game. Playing as a woman on a boring first date with a "wuss" was a uniquely entertaining way to start a game. Playing it at 15 on the PS1, it felt adult - but not immature. A tone I was ready for in gaming. I never tried the sequels. I'm glad I hadn't the more I hear about them.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only played the first game. Playing as a woman on a boring first date with a "wuss" was a uniquely entertaining way to start a game. Playing it at 15 on the PS1, it felt adult - but not immature. A tone I was ready for in gaming. I never tried the sequels. I'm glad I hadn't the more I hear about them.
PE2 is good, just a bit disappointing compared to the first one.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for posting! Been wondering why this franchise went dormant and totally forgot about the PSP entry. Maybe it should be left forgotten - she mentioned playing thru 3 times, which sounds just miserable.

Does she always frame her videos like that, or is it a DMCA thing?

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
This game man...

tenor.gif

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Still I liked to play as Ada again... I just consider it a bad dream in the end.
I hope they remake the series, the first one was fantastic! But I fear they will make the gameplay all action... :\

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I'll spare 3rd Birthday a bit of goodwill in being a solid PSP shooter with amazing CG cutscenes and a good soundtrack. Obviously everything to do with the plot and characters is insanity.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Parasite Eve 1 needs a full Horror Remake Soon.
The game is terrifying, fantastic, and needs to be experienced by the new generations.
And DAT INTRO.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I meant to watch this earlier, Sphere Hunter's videos are always really entertaining to watch.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I remember a video that explain the story in 40 minutes videos (i really didn't care when i've play it, 10 minutes i was out). And this is the most insane story i've ever see in game.... not in a good way.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
The ending has forever solidified the game as one of the worst ever. The galaxy brain reveal of Aya actually being Eve, thus retroactively making the game creepy as fuck with its sexualization of an underaged girl, is on par with making the player literally assassinate the original Aya because...who the fuck knows.

Guess it's a good thing Daniel didn't appear in this game or else the devs probably would've ruined his character as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Ive never played the PE games but The third birthday's story is no joke one of the worst gaming stories ive ever heard of

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
3rd birthday has easily in my opinion the worst character assassination of any media. Up there with Samus in Other M.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
Beyond just having a terrible story and ruining beloved characters, the gameplay in this game isn't good either. Some of the most frustrating enemies I've ever had to fight in a shooter. It only gets worse if you decide to turn up the difficulty on replays too. It highlights all the flaws of the combat system in a rather spectacular fashion.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Turns out Other M wasn't even the worst character assassination in the year it came out.

Or the dumbest.

"What if Samus was THE BABY all along?"

Last edited: