• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How soon after release will you buy the next generation consoles - Xbox Series X / PS5?

• Immediately on Release

Votes: 755 67.6%
  • 1-6 months

Votes: 121 10.8%
  • 7-12 months

Votes: 60 5.4%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 107 9.6%
  • 2-3 years

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • 3-4 years (For arguments sake when PS5 Pro - Xbox Series X Pro releases...if it even does next gen)

Votes: 28 2.5%
  • Bonus - When a limited edition console variant releases e.g 20th anniversary console, MGSV red etc

Votes: 12 1.1%

• Total voters

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I'm expecting a lot of early adopters on this forum, but anyway how soon do you reckon after the next gen releases will you buy into the next Gen?

Is there anything you are waiting for? A particular game? Lower prices from launch etc?

For me personally i've always been attracted to Limited Edition variants like below, so I will most likely wait for them and this will also allow time for games to take advantage of the next gen hardware as these variants are normally released later.
- 20th Anniversary PS4
- MGSV Red Variant
- 500m PS4

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
PS5 is day 1. I was thinking about getting an XSX maybe a year later or at the mid gen refresh, but honestly I'm probably just going to build a PC since it plays their games anyway. I still have an X1X if I want to play anything BC that I can't play on the PC.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll get at least one at launch.

I'm not going to wait a while considering the price won't drop significantly for at least a few years.

Plus with backwards compatibility I won't have a situation where I still play the last-gen consoles more which I had this gen for the first year.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 day 1. No way I'm just watching the new generation happen from the outside.

XSX probably never.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure maybe day 1 but maybe not, we will see stock issues and everything by than.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
How long until most of the resources move to making exclusive games for the new console? I'll probably stick with the old gen longer this time since I only have one 4k TV anyway (and it's not even high end) and my receiver can't do state of the art sound yet, so I'd have to upgrade all of that first.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Bonus fits me best. If a game I really want comes out on it on release or a special version comes out, I'll buy it right away. If not, probably a few months for some games to come out.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox - day 1

PS5 - 6 months to a year, willpower holding out

I swore I wouldn't buy both at launch this time and I'm trying to stick to it. Starting with Xbox primarily for Gamepass.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, for Xbox I guess you could say right away as I'll get MS games on PC. For Sony, I honestly don't know yet. I know I'll want to get it day one but have been thinking it would be best to wait this time for more games/lower price/new model. I imagine I'll preorder one but not make a final decision until closer to release.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Consoles are about software for me, so right now I don't see a reason to own any of them

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is already paid for, so day 1. Series X is probably not gonna happen, I have a more-than-capable PC and the exclusives are probably not gonna be for me if the past is anything to go by.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I'm dropping the jaguar like it's hot.

edit. XSX on launch and PS5 probably a couple of years down the line, pending TLOU2 and other exclusives getting a remaster or not.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully PS5 day one. I even bought a PS3 at the UK launch and don't regret a thing so I'm comfortable putting down the money as long as nothing seriously changes between now and then.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I'm ready to put my preorder money down today if I could (XSX).

Halo is the biggest draw for me. I'm also super excited for AC:V, CP2077, and several others. Also looking forward to playing my favorite games from the current gen with improved performance and loading.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Right now the answer is never. We're yet to see a next gen game, a game that a PS4 absolutely cannot run and isn't just because its got RT hogging resources.

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
When there's something I can't just as well play on my PC.

I didn't start seriously thinking about buying a PS4 until 2016 (because of UC4), and by that point, rumors about what would eventually become the Pro were already abound, so I ended up waiting a few more months and just bought that, instead. Even having bought all PS4 exclusives from 2013 through 2015 I consider worthwile, my library is still overwhelmingly made up of games that were released in 2017 or later. I know buying the PS4 at launch would have been a giant waste from my perspective.

I suspect the same will more or less hold for the PS5.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Right now, anticipating on getting both at launch - but I completely reserve the right to shift that as details hit. Very curious about what the PS5 day-one lineup actually is - but knowing my lack of impulse control, I'll probably bite on both immediately.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
when the first revision gets released. It usually happens when the good exclusives are starting to dish out

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
PS5 day 1 if price is $499 or less.

Series X I will probably wait a couple years, or least until my PC can't run their first party games anymore.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
When there are 2 or 3 games (at least 1 must be next-gen only) I am convinced I want to play and I actually have the time for that.

I don't care about price or hardware

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Prob skip Xbox all together now (have a laptop that will play games just as well). As for ps5 maybe when Spider-Man 2 hits bit again prob not for a long time.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
My intention was to buy it day one, but our economy went to shit. So I thin i'll stick with my PS4 for some time. Thankfully I've a backlog to clean.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'll probably get a PS5 when there is a price cut and at least 3-5 games I would want to play. I got a PS4 in 2017 and that was mainly because of Cyber Monday sales. So I'd guess minimum three years.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy the PS5 when God of War 2 or next ND game comes out. Until then, I'll keep playing on my PC.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
1 year or so later. buying on release is a waste of money since the generation doesnt get started until 1 or 2 years after release

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
New console launches are usually pretty messy, so I'll hang back for a couple years until they work out the kinks and we get games exclusively made for next-gen. PS5 will probably come first.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • If a Capcom Fighting Game is Announced Before Launch...
    • Day 1
  • Otherwise...
    • Will wait for said Capcom fighting game to be announced

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Completely depends on PS5 backward compatibility. If it is great, Day 1. Otherwise, I'll wait til several great games are out for it.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
This will be the first generation of consoles where I haven't bought any of them on day one. I just never, ever play my current ones right now with the exception of the Switch and even that's pretty low compared to PC. I'd love to say I'll never buy either of them as that's what I'd LIKE to say but I know I'll prob convince myself to jump in at some point. But I can honestly say it's gonna be at least 3-6 months after release if not a year.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still rocking an original ps4, so it's easy for me to justify getting a ps5 just to get pro enhancements on games I already own.

if the ps5 didn't have backwards compatibility my answer would have been 2-3 years though.

Deleted member 44122

depends on the price, but probably on or around day 1

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 day 1, not sure about Xbox. Guess it depends on the launch lineup and what's coming in the next 6-12 months after.