• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Yikes, yeah I'd start looking immediately.

But, is this a pay cut or a demotion? No idea how this stuff works, but is there a possibility your not really living up to what the job requires? Maybe this is better then just flat-out firing you and their giving you a fair shot?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
He's not wrong, though. I've been unemployed for long enough so that the first thing that came along was more or less an automatic yes.

That's cool, but soon as you find something else, leave. And be sure to inform them it was because of how disrespectful they were about the pay cut.

It's worth leaving even finding a job that pays the same, tbh.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Is this strictly an American thing or do most countries have it? I don't think we have pay cuts in my country. Employers are simply not allowed to lower your pay. They can alter bonusses and such but the base hourly pay/monthly pay for a set number of hours cannot go down. Only up.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Even working in retail in the past, I've never been threatened with a paycut nor have any of my coworkers. That's some shameless shit.

Start looking for a new job immediately. Once you've got one locked in, peace out.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
After months of unemployment, I've found a job and the respective office is pretty nice and more or less what I'm looking for in a job.

However, after being hired for a month, the boss pulled me into his office to inform me he's decreasing my pay by $2 because he thought I was worth more but i'm not, and it's not fair to the older/more skilled employees for me to be paid that wage.

I like it there, and they've promised mentorship in a career, but i'm not sure about staying after this.

Line up another job and then leave. Do please remember to be as petty as possible during your exit interview.

That sounds totally illegal. I get if he cuts your hours but your pay? Wish a motherfucka would...

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Sure, you are getting $80 less a week as well, but $800 a week is not something you just walk away from, ESPECIALLY if you have nothing lined up.

$80 less money per week is quite the money loss.

It is not just a $2 pay cut, as OP puts it: it is a 9% pay decrease (20/22~91%), it is massive!

In a vacuum, it is better to have something lined up. In practice, if the boss is that abusive, it may be worth quitting as soon as possible, before he pulls other stunts.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Look up a temp agency right away. You can find good work at a temp agency and you can get hired quickly. If you have a college degree/any experience at all you will find placement. The job may only pay in the $20/hour range, but if you can swing that then I would make the jump. By definition this is a temporary thing, so while you have this new temp job you keep looking for a permanent solution. In my opinion it is worth it to get away from a shit boss as quickly as possible before you end up hating your job. Take a temp job so that you can plan the next step while not being under the gun of a shithead boss or unemployed.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
If that's exactly the words he used to drop your pay I would have told him to fuck off right there and quit. That's some disrespectful ass language

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once you've secured your new job please make sure you let all your ex-colleagues know you left because your ex-boss wanted to avoid paying them more by paying you less after taking your job.

ps3ud0 8)

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's not normal, I'd leave as soon as you get another position. I've never worked at a company where that's even an option. Only time I've heard of that was across the board salary decreases in 2009, but that was to avoid layoffs, and it didn't target one person.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'd never take a pay cut, period.

I don't know how common this is in hourly wage gigs, but the idea of a targeted, arbitrary pay cut is a complete non-starter and shows that you're working for a failure of a company -- at least from a business ethics perspective, which often bleeds into everything else.

I'd begin looking immediately for alternative employment. Like, tonight. And any mental energy that you would've put towards your job, focus on landing another job.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have never heard of something like that.

I wonder if they are trying to get you to leave.

That is super fucked up.

Try to get a new job ASAP and do the minimum and collect dem checks until you get it.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I had similar this year. I've gotten equity every year, but got none this. I've been slowly escalating because each manager just keeps passing the buck up. The latest is, (despite last year being really good for us) "I was told not to give equity to anyone at your level this year".

Unfortunately the corona virus is hitting us hard, so it's an awful time to ask for money. But... You gotta fight for yourself. Also looking for a new job :(

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I had similar this year. I've gotten equity every year, but got none this. I've been slowly escalating because each manager just keeps passing the buck up. The latest is, (despite last year being really good for us) "I was told not to give equity to anyone at your level this year".

Unfortunately the corona virus is hitting us hard, so it's an awful time to ask for money. But... You gotta fight for yourself. Also looking for a new job :(

That's a little different, though. They didn't touch your base salary.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
That's a little different, though. They didn't touch your base salary.
Yeah. It just hurt because I'd had a job offer in my hand with a significant base increase and no equity a month before. I turned it down assuming I had the equity cash in hand. My fault I admit, but... fuck them for not giving it this year. My scores were really good. My team made them millions.

Anyway, I'll just have to find another.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
After months of unemployment, I've found a job and the respective office is pretty nice and more or less what I'm looking for in a job.

However, after being hired for a month, the boss pulled me into his office to inform me he's decreasing my pay by $2 because he thought I was worth more but i'm not, and it's not fair to the older/more skilled employees for me to be paid that wage.

I like it there, and they've promised mentorship in a career, but i'm not sure about staying after this.

Tell him you'll have to do $2 less an hour's worth of work now to compensate.

Seriously though. How would the other employees be offended by your salary unless everyone there knows everyone's salary?

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Now my position would be a bit different than yours, due to our laws. Actually I believe its illegal in Germany.

1) I'd clearly state that this is insulting to me and my skills. I'd demand that they reconsider.
2) I'd inform works council.
3) if nothing is done I'd announce to leave if they proceed with this. (Actually, i could get my old pay reinstated and get paid for what they didnt pay, but i would not want to work for someone who actually does not respect me and/or my work.
4) I'd search for a new job and quit.

even if they paid you again normally, i think you should look for a new place

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
During the depths of the Recession, small companies were freezing pay or cutting pay just to keep afloat, but now and for a bullshit reason like that? Fuck that. You're working with a bunch of crabs in the bucket.

If this were the Recession, I'd suck it up and hope that I could eventually find something better, but if that happened to me now, I'd get up, walk out of the office, go out to the parking lot, get in my car and drive away.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dafuq? Start looking immediately and put in your 2 weeks the second you have something better.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
why do some of you talk about 2 weeks notice and others about quit immediately?

By law there is no need for notice in america, right? Unless stated otherwise in contract, but it does not sound like op has a contract?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
why do some of you talk about 2 weeks notice and others about quit immediately?

By law there is no need for notice in america, right? Unless stated otherwise in contract, but it does not sound like op has a contract?

Referrals etc. Doesn't really matter if he doesn't plan to put this job on his resume, but if he wants to then he should leave on good terms.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Referrals etc. Doesn't really matter if he doesn't plan to put this job on his resume, but if he wants to then he should leave on good terms.
To be honest, if someone asked me I'd openly say "i was hired under false promises, they lied to me and changed the terms of working conditions".

that shows that you are generally an honest person and also that you honor and look for honest partner.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, if someone asked me I'd openly say "i was hired under false promises, they lied to me and changed the terms of working conditions".

Or they might think you're full of shit and might cause trouble so they avoid you altogether.

that shows that you are generally an honest person and also that you look for honest partners.

You're really optimistic.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Real talk, the second you find a new job is the second you leave. Like that day.
If they ask you for the courtesy of 2 weeks notice, ask them where was this same courtesy when they just decided to cut your pay out of the blue? Then keep on walking.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Start looking for another job right now. Do not give them a two week notice after you lock in another job, either. They don't deserve that.

The fact that your boss cut your pay so soon after hiring you signals to me that the workplace will only become more toxic as the months pass.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Or they might think you're full of shit and might cause trouble so they avoid you altogether.

You're really optimistic.
I have always been honest about past jobs, blanks in my resume etc. never had a problem in finding a job. I was even told by someone who wanted to hire me (I rejected that offer because I had a better one at hand) that they valued my honesty during the initial interview.

More like got too many offers. The only thing limiting is my pickyness.

6 month "break", leaving suddenly after 6 years of employment, then leaving again after 1 1/2 year...

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
1. What's the job
2. How much exp do you have?
3. What are you getting paid annual pre-cut?
4. Did you tell anyone how much you're working at the office?

AliR7

Oct 29, 2017
Get a new job ASAP and leave without a 2 week notice. I did that once after the employer pulled a dick move similar to that. I had a new job within. Week.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
Just leave man. Without 2 weeks notice if you dont plan for referrals because fuck them. Make it super petty.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You got hired and then they decreased your pay. They basically scammed you. You are worth what they initially offered.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
How would the "older/more skilled" employees even know what you're making? What a bullshit bait and switch. Going to echo what everyone else is saying and suggest lining something else up ASAP. This company does not deserve the courtesy of a two weeks notice.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
Please don't leave immediately. $2 less an hour is better than $0/hour. Find another opportunity then leave.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
This is likely them trying to force you out the door without actually firing you and risking having to pay your unemployment.

If you quit, there is no chance that they are on the hook.

It sounds like you leaving is a mutual decision. Use them as a paycheck until you find something else. At this point it is very unlikely that they fire you unless you completely mail it in here.