• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Wtf - even when I was poor as all hell I'd have walked out then on the spot.

OR! Enjoy the free money. I would spend 8hrs a day on their clock doing fuck all while you hunt for a new job.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
In this economy, almost immediately.

*edit*

Reading the details if you struggled to find employment before, then I'd work at this place until you can secure new employment, and then give the barest minimum of notices and book the fuck outta that place. Fuck em.

And like others said, tell any prospective employer that you can start immediately, and then when you have that offer show up that day, preferably the worst day of the week when it's the busiest, and walk up to you rboss and be like "Hey so I thought this was going to be a higher paying job, but it's not, so BUBYE"

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After months of unemployment, I've found a job and the respective office is pretty nice and more or less what I'm looking for in a job.

However, after being hired for a month, the boss pulled me into his office to inform me he's decreasing my pay by $2 because he thought I was worth more but i'm not, and it's not fair to the older/more skilled employees for me to be paid that wage.

I like it there, and they've promised mentorship in a career, but i'm not sure about staying after this.

that was the excuse he gave? lol

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care whatsoever about the circumstances. You were wronged. Look for another job and leave this one when you find one.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I've been working for about 25 years and I've never heard of this happening, I think I would have just walked.

Do you have a contract?

Oct 27, 2017
I would legitimately have quit right then and there. God, the thought of my boss pulling me aside and telling me that I wasn't worth what they thought and that they're cutting my pay is such a fucking slap in the face. That's NOT how you handle that kind of situation. If they fucked up and are overpaying you, they need to figure out a way to make it so you're more valuable with training and mentoring.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I'd be looking to leave asap... Find something else and get it all lined up ready... Hand in your notice and tell them to get fucked...

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
When I was younger I would have quit then and there.

Just direct that rage towards finding another job and then fuck them over as much as possible. Be as incompetent as possible without being fired.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
How soon after a pay cut like that should you leave?

Shit. Within the same meeting, if possible; fuck that.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I'm not telling you to do something drastic but you should have been looking for a better job/boss that respects you the same day. What if he comes back in a few weeks and tries it again?

There is no way I would accept this, I'd walk if a boss tried it.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did you ask why they thought you were not worth what they're paying you? I would have pushed back pretty hard.

What they are doing to you is very unprofessional.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd take a shit, leave it in a bag in your boss's office, tell maintenance to take a break, never consider coming back. And you know, look for other work and know you're fucking worth everything and shouldn't be deemed worth less.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Just echoing everyone else; as soon as you got something lined up just vanish, and if they call say something like " I don't think it was worth my time to give you my two weeks notice."

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
After some research, today I learned that it's perfectly legal for companies to cut your pay to at least the federal minimum wage whenever they feel the need or urge to, so long as they don't do it retroactively. Seriously, I had no idea. It's more surprising to me because I don't ever really hear this happening but to know that it's perfectly legal for 99% of people employed to have their salary completely reduced out of nowhere makes me wonder.

That is surprising. Why fire anyone, just lower them to minimum wage and let them quit (from an evil owner's perspective, of course for decency's sake most companies won't do this).

edited to add: thinking about this more, I guess a disgruntled employee could do a lot of damage if they intentionally stayed for a while, so maybe that's why.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I would quit because of the boss saying pulling that shit, regardless of pay cut. Good lord.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's time to line something else up and go, OP. If anything, they're testing your compliance in accepting bullshit now so they can keep you at exploitative levels in the future. It seems a lot like any long term promises they've made aren't going to be quite as worthwhile as they make it out to be.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
He make a mistake and is punishing you for it. It doesn't matter if you are making more than the older or "star" employees because they do not know how much you were making.

That guy is an idiot and you should quit when you are in a position to do so.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Whether or not you leave immediately should depend entirely on your financial stability. If you can't afford to leave immediately, don't, but start looking for something better right away.

If you can, then walk right out that fuckin' door, amigo.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
You say you love the job so why not stay and see if you can increase your wages in the future. Personally unless this pay cut will significantly affect your personal finances I'll stay. Job satisfaction is more important than money

It's true job satisfaction is an important part, but this is not just about the money... it's about this indicating badly about how his job will treat him in the future. As some one said, a good boss would have talked with him and seen if he could coach him to do better, not just offer a pay cut right away. And it is very possible that was the boss's plan all along, get the person hired with a higher rate and hten pay cut him. Doesn't speak well of how he treats his employees. It's not a good sign that he is working with good people. And that is a very important part of job satisfaction.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
You say you love the job so why not stay and see if you can increase your wages in the future. Personally unless this pay cut will significantly affect your personal finances I'll stay. Job satisfaction is more important than money
Eh, if the company is basically saying they value me less now than they did when they hired me, I'd be extremely unsatisfied. It would immediately sour my attitude towards the work I was doing, and my manager/company.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Actually, reading some replies, I think the best thing is to tell the guy to either not cut your pay, or let you go. If this is a ploy to get you to leave without having to pay unemployment, you at least force them to pay unemployment. Or they keep you at the wage. Otherwise they are going to find some way to fire you eventually (they'll look for reasons) if you don't leave willingly and you'll not be getting any unemployment. And honestly, if they kept you on at your original wage, I'd still be looking for a job. Cause you can gaurentee they'll be finding some way to fire you and it won't make life pleasant for you there.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Start looking for something else immediately and get an offer for a higher pay rate. Bring that back to your boss asking to match it if you want to stay, otherwise GTFO, don't even give them 2 weeks.

No, just take the higher paying job. This is a recipe for the boss to get resentment and start looking for any reason to fire the guy. At this point there is no good reason for him to stay at that job... they have shown their cards and they obviously don't value him at best, and quite possibly just want to get rid of him or are sleezy people who planned on doing this all along to try to get him at a cheaper price. None of these scenarios says he should stay at this job for any reason.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, reading some replies, I think the best thing is to tell the guy to either not cut your pay, or let you go. If this is a ploy to get you to leave without having to pay unemployment, you at least force them to pay unemployment. Or they keep you at the wage. Otherwise they are going to find some way to fire you eventually (they'll look for reasons) if you don't leave willingly and you'll not be getting any unemployment. And honestly, if they kept you on at your original wage, I'd still be looking for a job. Cause you can gaurentee they'll be finding some way to fire you and it won't make life pleasant for you there.
Working there for only one month isn't long enough to qualify you for unemployment.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Working there for only one month isn't long enough to qualify you for unemployment.

Hrm.... then I'd start looking for a job ASAP cause even if it isn't cause they want to fire you, it's really not a good sign of how well they'll treat you. And other jobs tend to like to see you are still working (being unemployed looks bad to a potential employer) so I wouldn't just quit right away (even if that would be more satisfying. Maybe do the thing some one mentioned above if you want to feel satisfied, when you do quit just walk out that day and say they don't pay you enough to give them good notice).

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
If you can, immediately. No 2 weeks. Say "thanks, but that's fucked" and walk out the door. Pay cuts are some of the biggest workplace slaps-in-the-face an employer give someone. Especially with that line of reasoning; if you couldn't figure out what "someone's worth" prior to making an offer, you as the employer are the one who ain't worth shit.

If you can't just up and quit because of life circumstances, then it's time to start looking for a new job immediately anyway and coasting by at the one you have in the meantime. Your boss has now established that they don't respect or value you; that's not a tenable working situation.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I'd say stay until they fire you, or you line up a different job. Don't just quit. Give them two weeks too, you never know what's going to happen in the future. Maybe that boss gets fired and you're still in the same line of work and find yourself applying again. If you had a "didn't give two weeks" moment they may not even consider you, regardless of your fault for your treatment.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
No, just take the higher paying job. This is a recipe for the boss to get resentment and start looking for any reason to fire the guy. At this point there is no good reason for him to stay at that job... they have shown their cards and they obviously don't value him at best, and quite possibly just want to get rid of him or are sleezy people who planned on doing this all along to try to get him at a cheaper price. None of these scenarios says he should stay at this job for any reason.

Yeah I dunno, maybe there's some unstated benefit to OP keeping this job if he can get the pay rate back. But if not, definitely get out ASAP, he doesn't owe them shit.

enanogrande

Oct 30, 2017
The only time you scenario where the answer to this question isn't "start looking for an out immediately" is if you know that your performance hasn't been what you represented in hiring/interviews, and the business/boss still wants to keep you on/give you a chance to improve/etc. Given as that is not the case here, leave as soon as you have another offer.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
There's no future in that role, and the situation is now untenable.

If you haven't left immediately you should be actively trying to leave ASAP.