• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
PS Now has come a long way since it's inception. Originally launched as Streaming only service that was a Semi-solution to ps4 having no backwards compatibility with ps3. PS Now had 2 major problems, It was seen as overpriced and many did not have internet good enough or just did not like streaming games.

Each of the Last 2 years Sony salved these two major concerns in 2018 Ps4 titles became Downloadable and in October 2019 the price dropped to just $10 dollars a month equaling the price of ps plus and Gamepass. At the same point of October a year ago PS Now started to add more High profile games to expand the Value.

This past summer I purchased a Year of PS Now in preparation for PS5 expecting Sony to announce more PS Now improvements. Unfortunately with just over a Week until PS5 Sony has almost Completely Ignored Now in the lead up to next Gen. Sony has put marketing into the PS plus collection but unlike Now that's just a one time drop of games ( most previously on Now or Plus) and does not excite me at all. Since the plus collection is a one time offer I am hopeful we will see returned focus to now after launch and I have Ideas on how to improve it.

Improvements !

First of I wan't improvements we can realistically see happen in the next 2 years Sony is not in the same position as Microsoft and PS Now will not be as Good as Gamepass anytime soon. I don't want anything unrealistic like Sony first parties Day 1.There is a lot of room for PS Now to grow and be better with more support and I hope the future is bright for the service.
1. longer window for Big Games.
The fact that ps now is getting large First party games like God of War and Spider-Man just a year and half after launch and Big third parties Like Control less than a year after Launch is Great However these games often only stay for only 3 months.

With how huge games can be this is a tiny window unless you jump on the game immediately I hope to see Major First party that hit Now Stay for at least 6 months and Ideally 1 year.

Even without adding more games than they do now Increasing the window games stay increases the library size at any given time do to more overlap and helps people not miss games on the service like how I Barely missed the window to play Spider-Man when I subscribed.

2. More ps2 game using streaming. Add ps1 games Using Streaming.
The ps4 download library is decent and the ps3 streaming only library is pretty big However the ps2 library is Tiny limited only to purchasable ps2 games on PS store.

Ps1 games are currently missing all together .

The 6th and 7th Generation where great and streaming works much better on older games I really want to see hundreds of ps2 and ps1 games become a streamable option like the ps3 titles .
( Suikoden 2 please I beg you.)
3. Bundle Now and Plus for $15 Bucks
I know earlier I said Sony won't exactly copy Microsoft but this is one area I would like to see parity .

Gamepass ultimate bundles standard gamepass and Xbox Live Gold for $15 a month (plus other benefits) so you dont have to pay $20 dollars for them when buying both apart.

Many people only Use plus to play online and the prospect of paying double for Now is not enticing, the same happens in reverse with Now only users (less frequent.)

I think not only would an easy option for combining them be good for consumers who want both but I think this would even help sony in the long run as many People who are current plus users would grab Now for only $5 extra per month vs $10 and prove profitable for Sony while being a good deal for consumers..

How do you want Now to Improve?

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Make PS1/2/3 games available on it, playing locally/offline on PS5, and streaming to other devices.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
If they don't want to put out their big titles on release date on the service I get it.

But theres just no reason for the abysmal support of their legacy content. Theres just no good reason to not have basically all of your first party PS1/PS2/PS3 games on the service.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I don't understand why more of their first party PS2/3 titles aren't on there

Make PS1/2/3 games available on it, playing locally/offline on PS5, and streaming to other devices.

PS3 is already on there. You can already download PS2/4 games.

Maxpower45

Jul 6, 2019
Honestly I would just want it to have it bundled with ps plus makes it better for people to sub, they get free games and a whole library of classic games they enjoy at no extra cost.

Crotin

May 6, 2018
My biggest gripe were most of the PS3 games I wanted to play, I couldn't because of trophy errors. No troubleshooting solution worked to fix it. It's like if I've played a PS3 game in the past, it couldn't be played on PS Now because the service constantly tries to install trophies on my profile that are already there. I really hope the fix it one day.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Day one titles from third parties/indies.

Forget 'day one first party games' for a moment. They don't need that. But day one indies? That'd instantly elevate the service. PS Now would be a lot more attractive if it was getting the likes of Streets of Rage 4, Hotshot Racing, Gonner2, Ikenfell, Katana Zero etc day one like the competition are.

It's the big separator between the two services for me, as someone who subs to and uses both. It's not about first party games - first party releases aren't frequent enough (on either side really) for that to make a huge dent. But having five or so day one indies every single month alongside the usual AA and older AAA additions? Being able to play them while they're in the zeitgeist for a nominal monthly fee is amazing and would be a great shifter of PS Now subs.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
PS3 is already on there. You can already download PS2/4 games.

You can't download any PS1/3 games, was my main point there

Also I kinda hope they do more for PS2 games than just run them via the existing emulator through PS4 BC. I'd point to the enhancements MS is doing with their BC program for what I'd want to see.

Also I think a few PS2 games are listed as "bootable" rather than "compatible" on PS5. It remains to be seen how significant this is.

It already has all this except for ps1 games, it just needs a better Library with more recent games

Which PS3 games are downloadable now on PS Now? My understanding is that it's limited to PS4 games? I think you might be thinking of PS3 games that also got PS4 versions.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The obvious thing is PS2 and PS3 games.

I cannot believe some of my favorite titles ever are locked. The only way I can play them is on a ps2 from ebay which is expensive and itll look like crap on my UHD tv. OR to do it on PC. NO. I want to play it on a console. If only the discs worked in my current ps3.

I care about GTA4, MGS4. radiata stories, valkyrie profile 1 and 2, drakengard, FFVII dirge of cerberus. dragon quest 8 on console.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want more day 1 indie games, like gamepass got spiritfarer the day it released

even if they don't put their exclusives on it on day 1 they should get games like that day 1 atleast

make it as good as gamepass but minus the day 1 exclusives

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
- 1080p and 60fps options if the game supports it
- Release all first party games after they are a year old
- Release new indie games

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Cheaper tier with only downloads.

New games on the service day 1, and I'm more referring to smaller titles/AA/indie and not first-party because I just don't see that happening anyway.

More and newer titles. Day one titles from third parties/indies.

Forget 'day one first party games' for a moment. They don't need that. But day one indies? That'd instantly elevate the service. PS Now would be a lot more attractive if it was getting the likes of Streets of Rage 4, Hotshot Racing, Gonner2, Ikenfell, Katana Zero etc day one like the competition are.

It's the big separator between the two services for me, as someone who subs to and uses both. It's not about first party games - first party releases aren't frequent enough (on either side really) for that to make a huge dent. But having five or so day one indies every month? Being able to play them while they're in the zeitgeist for a nominal monthly fee is amazing and would be a great shifter of PS Now subs.

This basically.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Add first party stuff day one, add some third parties and indies day one, upgrade their servers with PS5's, add support for higher resolution and add streaming to mobile. A bonus would be adding PC versions of games on the PC side to download. Not necessarily first party (I wish) but third party PC titles.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I would be happy with just the following:
- more regions
- all (or close to) ps1 and ps2 classics that were on the PS3 store and downloadable
- streaming only is fair, but all the Sony published PS3 games

That's enough for me, but add in as many of the digital psp (and maybe vita) games they can that are already on stores and any further classics games would be excellent

I don't care if they do nothing for ps4 and ps5 games, because we can already buy them. I would just love to see this as a strong legacy platform.

The past is "now" :)

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
It would be cool if they gave you options to choose certain filters (ps1/ps2/ps3 older games) that would make them look better on these new 4k screens like the emulators options.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I'd like to see better system integration and seamless switching between streamed version and downloaded version.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Up the streaming res to 4k and allow games to stream at their native res up to 4K.

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
Let me stream my entire digital PS4 library (or at least first party). A web app for iOS would also be nice.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Lotta things on the horizon for PS Now I imagine:

- Expansion to a lot more countries is likely near since we've gotten some indicators like PS Now appearing on consoles in various countries appearing around the world
- Expansion to more devices like phones, tablet, TVs and whatnot should be occurring as well
- Inclusion of PS5 hardware in the datacenters will happen, but maybe a bit after launch since it's likely they'll want to dedicate as many components as possible to the actual consoles to keep up with demand
- A PS Now/ PS Plus combo package where the monthly price is $15 and the annual price is $99 (even for an initial price) would be nifty
- Increasing the streaming quality to 1080p and beyond is coming as Sony already put that on their medium term goal list. Maybe the 1080p bump will come before the PS5 hardware is added, but 1080p+ should definitely be there after the PS5 hardware is added
- Expanding the library to include games from all gens and possibly from the portable consoles would be nifty
- Some form of AI upscaling to improve resolution, frame rate and textures would be nifty
- Expanding the offering by finding ways to integrate Sonys other media arms could work. So some way of offering TV shows, movies, anime or music. Or just offering a discount price to other existing streaming services like Spotify if you're a PS Now subscriber
- Putting SOME day 1 content from first and third parties on the service would also be great. Get more indies to launch on the service like Kena Bridge of Spirits for example. Put PlayStation games that're multiplayer oriented or GAAS titles on the service day 1, even if it's for a few month window. Take for example MLB The Show, they could put that on PS Now day 1 to get people to subscribe while at the same time raking in tons of revenue on sales from other platforms since it's going multiplat.
- Putting bigger PS5 titles on the service sooner, maybe several months after launch so they can try to have their cake and eat it too with people who buy it at launch and people who can wait to play it on the service
- Add additional bonuses to PS Now similar to the way PS+ is getting bonuses with the game hint service. So for example if you're subscribed to PS Now you can demo games from the PlayStation store before buying them by streaming them on Now.
- If you buy a game on PSN that license also includes the ability to stream the game via PS Now so you can play your games on your phone or whatnot without having to utilize remote play. There may be some exceptions from some publishers who opt out, of course.

Basically I think they should just utilize a shotgun approach to appeal to gamers in multiple ways to build up the PS Now subscriber base. Make the service so good that you'd be stupid not to subscribe if you're in the PlayStation ecosystem. If they can get their userbase high enough that it's in the area of PS+ subscribers (~45 million) and it's self-sufficient then I would imagine Sony would feel more comfortable releasing the odd blockbuster on the service here and there day 1.

Definitely no need to put all their titles on PS Now day 1 right now though.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
How may regions are currently available?
It is only available in Europe (16 countries), Japan and North America (Canada and US).

If the streaming tech is the issue, i would gladly play for a lower sub in Australia that gave me access to just the downloadbale titles. Really no excuse they have not done this yet.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
More regions, some day one indies, and every first part game should be added permanently once sales reach their tail. More PS1/2 support even if only streaming would be nice.

It's good enough I subscribe 4 or 5 months a year but they haven't got it to that lock factor that would convince me to subscribe yearly yet. Maybe this gen, especially since I am getting back into MS (skipped the one gen after two gens of preferring their consoles) with an xss for Game Pass.

As a disabled gamer on fixed income I really like the services though so hopefully they both continue to not just improve but compete so the consumer benefits.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Really need to improve the streaming stuff - 1080p+ and have games load much, much faster.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I know why this isn't feasible, but: downloadable ps3 games. I have decent internet, but streaming games is still a no-go for me, so as far as I'm concerned their PS3 section is useless to me.

Would also like to see more high quality titles, even if the trade-off is fewer titles. November's games are strong, but I feel like many of the games I browse through on there feel like the Netflix version of straight to dvd movies.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
The only way they can make PS Now truly competitive is to give it all 1st party games day 1 indefinitely

They will never be able to compete with Game Pass on 3rd party games
Sony just doesn't have the money to compete with Microsoft on that level

vastick

Banned
May 4, 2019
They could add their first party games permanently to the service 6 months or a year after release.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
As someone who uses the service almost daily, I have no MAJOR issues with it, but there is definitely room for improvement.

- PC Client is pretty bare bones and needs a serious update
- Having 1080 as an option would be nice
- Some sort of combo service with PS+ so I have one bill vs two.

Library is ok, sure more PS1/2/3 games would be nice but I would rather them focus on the tech behind it than the library for stuff 10+ years old. I can see the appeal but it's not a priority.

I like the idea in this thread about longer lasting stays for big games, and sooner additions for Indies, that would be nice. But I could care less about "day 1" stuff and wanting it to be like Game Pass. But I understand I am in a minority corner on that one lol.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
They could free cloud saves, so you don't need PS+ aswell and then start to leverage their vital partnership with Microsoft to grow the service beyond their current Backend boundaries, which is support for 5 million users max and very few countries.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
Get rid of the redundant PS3 versions of games and replace them with their superior PS4 remasters. Why play or stream the PS3 version of TLOU when the remastered PS4 version exists? People are only gonna stream PS3 games that don't exist on PS4.

With the PS5 surely they can enable 4K60fps streaming on games that support it? Maybe I'm wrong I don't know much about network bandwidth or if the servers they use can handle it.

They should also add PS1 games.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly, I don't use PS Now for PS4 games. At least, at the moment.

My interest in PS Now is to revisit PS3 titles that I want to revisit, and don't have to go through the hassle of hooking my PS3 up to my TV and playing them with the Dual Shock 3.

My dream/hope of PS Now is that they increase the PS2 library of titles (even if it's just first party PS2 titles to start with), and add PS1 streaming to the service as well. I'd rather have the PS5 have a proper PS1 emulator, but if that's not coming, then adding some key titles to PS Now would be nice.

Then, hopefully, 3rd parties will consider adding their PS1 and PS2 titles to PS Now as well. I'll always prefer BC being handled on the new console through an emulator, but I'm willing to accept BC via streaming if it means I can play some of my old favorites again. I actually recently bought a PS TV from ebay, and I've been using that to play the PS1 classics I bought to play on my Vita. Since I can use the DS4 to play those, it's been rather nice. I'm currently replaying Suikoden, Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross, which I love, and I've never played Suikoden 2, so I'm going to play that one next.

There are a ton of PS2 Classics I've never played, and I'd love to see more added to the PS Store, in particular the titles that we know will never get a proper HD Remaster. It's disappointing that the only PS2 titles on PS Now are ones you can already play natively on the PS4. I just find it weird that some 3rd parties are so reluctant to make their PS2 titles that won't get a Remaster available on current and next gen consoles. I feel like it'd be "easy" money for them. And if they don't want to assign a skeleton crew to make sure the PS2 title runs natively on the PS4, why not just offer it up for PS Now. I'm sure they'd get some kind of royalty/licensing fee for it that's better than the $0 they're getting from them now.