• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How Should Nintendo Revive It?

• eSports Focus

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Party game focus

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • Slap on an existing game franchise (Pokémon Puzzle League, Kirby's Avalanche/Mean Bean Machine)

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • Create an original cast and setting(Puyo Puyo Fever)

Votes: 26 20.3%
  • Stick to abstraction (Tetris, Lumines, Planet Puzzle League)

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • Go Mobile!

Votes: 26 20.3%
  • Go Switch!

Votes: 82 64.1%

• Total voters

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
My descent down the rabbit hole that is Puyo Puyo made me realize something. It, along with Tetris, are among the few long running puzzle game franchises. It makes me wish other series were this prolific, particularly Puzzle League.

Puzzle League started out as Panel de Pon, developed in response to the overwhelming popularity of competitive puzzle games started by Puyo Puyo. It came over stateside as Tetris Attack with characters from Yoshi's Island. Later, we got a "sequel" in the form of Pokémon Puzzle League. Later down the road, Nintendo released a GBA version titled Puzzle League alongside Dr. Mario. Lastly, back in 2005, they delivered the pinnacle of the series, Planet Puzzle League for DS.

EDIT: Thanks everyone for reminding me that Animal Crossing New Leaf has Puzzle League in it too!

It's been about 15 years since Planet Puzzle League's release and we STILL don't have proper successor.

Which brings me to the burning question: How should Nintendo bring back the franchise to make it relevant?

My take:
  • Switch and Mobile. Touchscreen the main control scheme.
  • Competely original characters and setting.
  • Alternately: WarioWare universe. More playable Ashley pls.
  • ESports as primary focus and getting into EVO. Party modes are great, but not a priority.
What say you, ERA?

Last edited:

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
How about not trying to turn everything into eSports from the jump, for one. Just release a solid game first and foremost, and if there's legs to it then you can try elevating it into something more.

doublejon

Jan 10, 2018
I've been saying they need to do a Puzzle League 99 like Tetris 99. I've also been crossing my fingers that it will be included in the new Animal Crossing since the last Puzzle League appearance was in the update to the 3DS Animal Crossing

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I am kind of amazed they haven't done a mobile version.

But I'd take anything at this point.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Make a new Panel de Pon with good online multiplayer and a single player story mode like the previous. That's all I want.

Oh, and Lip and friends.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bring back the original cast. Create new stories. Stop making it devoid of any and all personality that it looks so sterile and bad.

If Puyo Puyo can keep its cast, keep it fun and full of personality while creating new stories, then Panel de Pon can do the same.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, I was thinking about Nintendo doing nothing with Tetris Attack/Puzzle League/Panel de Pon just 2 days ago.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever you start up the next Tetris Attack game, you receive a ten page essay about how Heartskips was right about Smash.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think they should give Lip and the fairies another chance. We're years off from the 90s when games featuring cute anime girls was frowned upon in the west.

And then just maybe, we can get Lip playable in Smash Bros.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Make it an eShop game, and just bring back Lip and the other fairies again! It's about time they returned.

Lyude77

Dec 19, 2017
I've been saying they need to do a Puzzle League 99 like Tetris 99. I've also been crossing my fingers that it will be included in the new Animal Crossing since the last Puzzle League appearance was in the update to the 3DS Animal Crossing
I voted for esports but only in the way Tetris 99 is, like this post suggested.

OP
OP
Don Fluffles

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Bring back the original cast. Create new stories. Stop making it devoid of any and all personality that it looks so sterile and bad.

If Puyo Puyo can keep its cast, keep it fun and full of personality while creating new stories, then Panel de Pon can do the same.
Panel de Pon didn't really have any writing whatsoever. If anything, I'd like the characters and setting rebooted to be weirder and more comedy focused.

Otherwise give us GTA Puzzle League.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It needs to legit be Panel de Pon. No Pokémon Puzzle League or Tetris Attack, just a Panel de Pon entry released worldwide.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
lip_runpdj77.gif

colors9kby.gif

fairy1zjxb.gif

mascot5mj0e.gif

s_zzzbzkqd.gif

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Panel de Pon didn't really have any writing whatsoever. If anything, I'd like the characters and setting rebooted to be weirder and more comedy focused.

Otherwise give us GTA Puzzle League.
Most of the writing was in the manual, although Gamecube's Nintendo Puzzle Collection had more story for the Panel de Pon sequel iirc. I do agree with you that they should go for a comedy focus. We need a full on reboot at this point.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
They should revive the original Panel de Pon cast. She shouldn't shy away from it but embrace it!

And just call it "Panel de Pon: Puzzle League" outside Japan to avoid any confusion.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I love Panel de Pon! Honestly, I'd settle for them just putting a bunch of Nintendo characters in it and putting it on both Switch and mobile. I think those games play better with a touch screen, anyway.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the writing was in the manual, although Gamecube's Nintendo Puzzle Collection had more story for the Panel de Pon sequel iirc. I do agree with you that they should go for a comedy focus. We need a full on reboot at this point.

Yeah, while it was still very simple, there was more story (and stages!) in the GameCube story mode.

Character action puzzle game with Lip

Panel de Pon: Revengeance

Rook

Oct 30, 2017
This is the most important thread going right now. I would love a new Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
If you want a chance of it selling to a larger crowd, I'd wager you'd want to re-brand to something a bit more recognizable.

Since it's now more recently known for its association with Animal Crossing, why not just use those characters?

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Tetris Attack was/is my favorite puzzle-ish game, so any variation of it they want to bring back would be good to me

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Puzzle League's not really a long-running franchise, exactly, the last real game was a decade ago.

It's also not a great fit for eSports, at least not as it currently exists, because when both players are past a certain skill threshold then the matches never end because there's no effective way to pressure the other player, you're stuck waiting for someone to screw up.

Mobile would mean items and grinding and RPG elements and I don't want to have to deal with any of that bullshit. That Dr. Mario mobile game's multiplayer is fun but not fun enough to make me want to put up the typical mobile bloat.

The Panel de Pon cast was a hard sell in the '90s but nobody would bat an eye at them nowadays, and the recent surge in popularity around Puyo Puyo shows they'd definitely have no trouble finding an audience for that universe. The series deserves its own identity and the original deserves to be maintained.

At an absolute minimum, they need to translate the Super Famicom game so the rest of the world outside of Japan can play it whenever Nintendo reissues their SNES library.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
A typical sequel with various modes and lots of unlock able backgrounds, music and blocks, all from Nintendo franchises.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Having the original get an official translation would be great, but I could also see Nintendo just drop the original Japanese ROM on the SNES Online app. Puyo Puyo 2 is on there untranslated, and Nintendo isn't entirely a stranger to offering digital import titles (Sin and Punishment, Murasame Castle, Vs Excitebike, etc). Would get around the licensing needed for the Tetris Attack name as well!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What if they rebranded Panel de Pon to a crossover between the Panel de Pon universe and Intelligent System's most popular and longest-running franchise, Battle Clash? We'll finally get the team up between Lip and Michael Anderson that fans have been clamoring for for decades.

Last edited: