• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speak to their manager privately, or go to HR, whichever is the correct initial route in your work environment. Definitely do not leave a not or approach them yourself.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Are you this person's supervisor. If so, bring it up in writing (email is fine).

Not? Then speak to your supervisor privately, do not address directly with this person. This is management/HR's duty to deal with this sort of thing

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Dear fellow co-worker,
I do not write to you in anger or in disrespect - quite in the contrary, actually.
It's kinda hard to say these things face to face - hence this note.
Me and other co-workers have noticed a rather strong scent coming from your direction.
The strength of it is, sadly, quite worisome and also distracting,
so much so that we tried to come up with a respectful way to communicate this situation to you.
It would be great if you could somehow see into this.
If you want to talk about it, feel free to talk to any of us
- we would be happy to help.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Dear fellow co-worker,
I do not write to you in anger or in disrespect - quite in the contrary, actually.
It's kinda hard to say these things face to face - hence this note.
Me and other co-workers have noticed a rather strong scent coming from your direction.
The strength of it is, sadly, quite worisome and also distracting,
so much so that we tried to come up with a respectful way to communicate this situation to you.
It would be great if you could somehow see into this.
If you want to talk about it, feel free to talk to any of us
- we would be happy to help.

For some reason I read this in a dramatic "Confederate Soldier writing his wife" voiceover

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Go through HR. If you try to address this yourself then he will go to HR and that will be much worse for you

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
As others have said do not confront this person yourself. This could easily be a health related condition (yes, this exists) and if that's the case needs to be handled by professionals.

Any chance it is due to cultural or religious values? I've worked with a view people that this was the case, I just dealt with it and let it be as it is.

This is also a possibility, and not something you want to wade into uninformed, telling the dude he's funky and needs to shower.

Talk to HR and/or your supervisor in that order.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder that these are the people that we see in the threads about bathing and deodorant that insist that they don't smell because "no one has ever told them".

I've had to deal with this at a few jobs with 3 different people and it's brutal. You have to try to force these people to be adults.

We would febreeze this dude's cubicle when he left every day because the entire place had a stink cloud over it.
EXACTLY. The excuse is always that people never tell them, ignoring the fact that it's hard for people to confront them about it. I've seen it happen many times.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
had to do this in the same environment, but I just went to supervisor. my supervisor was obviously aware and actually had multiple reports. They talked to him and he started showering more and wearing deodorant. I felt bad, but seriously it was like "I haven't showered in 2 weeks" bad.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
had to do this in the same environment, but I just went to supervisor. my supervisor was obviously aware and actually had multiple reports. They talked to him and he started showering more and wearing deodorant. I felt bad, but seriously it was like "I haven't showered in 2 weeks" bad.

That doesn't seem that unusual. A minimum shower of once a week is fine for most people.

/s

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The stench is so bad it persists in the office even after their shift is over. Plus, we work in open cubicles, so there's barely anything to protect us from this individual.

Dude is pretty cool otherwise and a good worker, so I'm at a loss here.

Leave a anonymous note, some people might not know that they smell.

Don't escalate it to a supervisor level at first, give them a chance to fix it first

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Leave an ominous note with a baggie of cheap deodorant, bar soap, and shampoo. It should cost no more than a few dollars.

Be nice about it. The person will feel embarrassed regardless.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Best way to handle it:
Tell them nicely and off hand you need to tell them something. Say you overheard someone talking about their BO. Say that you think he is a great guy and really cool and that you don't personally care or notice, but you don't want someone ratting him out to hr for it. Then it's not on you, it's put on some anon person, and hr doesn't get involved.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Lol don't leave a note, that's a pretty bad idea I'm not sure if those suggesting it are being serious.

If you consider him to be a friend and you hang out after work, I'd suggest you mention it to in a friendly manner outside work. If that's not the case, first talk to other co-workers, if it's that bad surely others have noticed, then talk to your supervisor and make it clear that you're not coming from a bad place and you want this to be anonymous of course. Going to HR directly I think might complicate things and create animosity. It's better to deal with this at a lower level.

The last office I worked in had a department of 5 dudes that worked in a big room together. None of them ever took showers, and a couple of them would literally come to work in the pajamas they slept in. The entire building smelled like their bodies at all times. Literally you could smell the shit that they hadn't wiped properly. The people who didn't work in that room just complained about it constantly for like a straight year. People talked about the smell more than they talked about the weather. Eventually HR told them they had to keep their door shut at all times, but even then you could go to a different floor and still smell them. Then HR told them they couldn't wear pajamas, but that didn't help because they just wore the same clothes for weeks without washing them anyway. Finally the company bought a giant air filter machine that was the size of a refrigerator and put it in the middle of their small room, but it couldn't keep up. That's the end of the story.
What the fuck kind of office and company is this? They're willing to go to these lengths instead of just having a serious talk with the group and stressing hygiene requirements.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Simple.

Tell them that you want to clean them in the shower.

Then when you get sent to HR you tell HR about the stench.

Problem solved.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Try not to be Larry David. This is a perfect scenario for a Curb episode though.

As others have said leave a polite note or ask a manager to have a talk with the the person.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
tumblr_oqso02bmtt1txlyjvo1_400.png
He stole my heart. 😍

Oct 27, 2017
I would honestly just tell them.

"Dude, I like you and you're cool, but you need to start wearing deodorant."

I ain't about that passive-aggressive "dance around the topic" shit. If I stank I'd expect someone to tell me.

Oct 28, 2017
Ask him if he's a a local smash player. Or start playing wash your ass if you must on loop. Those avenues leave plausible deniability if you're targetting.

Or tell the boss man hat this person is bringing home da funk. Have three people back you on this. You don't want to do this one alone though.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, you should definitely go to HR, but it's not like they will surely know how to handle the situation or get it fixed either. It's very complicated.

I work at HR, specifically taking care of the interns, and we got several complaints about a girl who simply made it possible to be around her. Another intern who used to sit nearby asked to change desks, everyone in the department was bothered, and even two different people of the cleaning staff came to us saying she would leave the whole bathroom smelling.

I usually talk to the interns myself, but this time I asked my boss to talk to her, since she's a woman and it would be less embarrassing for her to talk about personal hygiene, but in the end it didn't get better. We transfered her to another floor, where she sat in a desk that was a little separated from the rest, and her contract expired soon after, it was a relief. I was honestly afraid she would file complaints about harassing.

Last edited:

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Going to HR is the only option here. This is work life not personal life, it's their job to handle these kinds of things sensitively and appropriately.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Being all official like and going to HR, they might think you're a trouble maker and get rid of you. HR is not your friend.
I would casually mention it your boss and see if he could have a talk with him. 9

It's people who do not want you going to HR to stop them from engaging in nonsense that spread information like this. It's there for a reason.

I would honestly just tell them.

"Dude, I like you and you're cool, but you need to start wearing deodorant."

I ain't about that passive-aggressive "dance around the topic" shit. If I stank I'd expect someone to tell me.

Again, there are reasons why you do not do this. I went to college with a guy who had a "condition." I never got the exact details of what it was, but for medical reasons he would smell vaguely of rotting meat, constantly. In winter it wasn't as bad, but hot summers? unbearable.

He would still smell this way fresh out of the shower. Went through tons of deodorant. Went through gallons of Febreze. Anytime he applied for a part time job he would have to request an accomodation and basically said the condition was a disability. Some employers were understanding and worked around it, but most made excuses not to hire him.

Now, if you honestly "just rolled up to this guy" and "told him he's cool but needs to start wearing deodorant" congratulations, you just harassed a guy with a medical disability and earned yourself a quick trip to a disciplinary meeting about it.

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I had to do this as a shift lead working at Jamba Juice. The dude was about 50. I was 18. 20+ years later it is still the most awkward and embarrassing conversation I have ever had in my life lol

The manager talked me into doing it because she could not handle it. I think I was making 6.70 an hour, I should have just walked away from the job

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly dont really understand the issue, I`m guessing office politics are different than in the trades. But when someone at work stinks, You tell them "They fucking stink, go shower or go the fuck home."
I have dealt with many stinky people, hell I work at a waste water plant. You just tell people to their face you stink go deal with it or leave.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I honestly dont really understand the issue, I`m guessing office politics are different than in the trades. But when someone at work stinks, You tell them "They fucking stink, go shower or go the fuck home."
I have dealt with many stinky people, hell I work at a waste water plant. You just tell people to their face you stink go deal with it or leave.

That will work right up to the point you run into a guy that has medical or cultural reasons for smelling the way he does, and then you're hit with a discrimination complaint. These can be both expensive and time consuming.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Go to HR.

Don't leave a note.

This seems like it would escalate things and make a record of it, whereas a note would be confidential to everyone but the person himself. It would suck to receive it but I think any normal person would want to know if they're perceived as having body order to correct it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This seems like it would escalate things and make a record of it, whereas a note would be confidential to everyone but the person himself. It would suck to receive it but I think any normal person would want to know if they're perceived as having body order to correct it.

Imagine what happens if that person feels singled out by that anonymous note you wrote and goes to HR with it.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
That will work right up to the point you run into a guy that has medical or cultural reasons for smelling the way he does, and then you're hit with a discrimination complaint. These can be both expensive and time consuming.

Has that ever happened? Is there a single case where someone has been disciplined for telling someone else they smell bad? I feel that people saying that they are worried about HR just dont want to confront the person. That`s fine, but dont hide behind it.
Also how would it be discrimination to tell someone that they stink? Lets say they have a medical condition that makes them spin around and shit everywhere. Its discrimination to tell them to get the hell out of the lunch room?

Ive worked with welders and truck drivers that are truly disgusting creatures. When they smell really bad and wont change they are banned to their vehicles or kicked off site.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
Fight fire with fire. Stop bathing. Change your outer clothes, but not your socks, underwear, or any undershirts. Maybe stop wiping. Or at least not as well. Eat a lot of curry. Force them to be the one to raise an issue.

lol no, I think definitely HR. If you're in a company that has a legit HR, going directly to the person is dicey if you're not friends. You don't have to present it as a problem or a complaint, just that you're trying to help the person out because they don't seem to be aware of it. If they're a responsible adult they'll respond appropriately.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Has that ever happened? Is there a single case where someone has been disciplined for telling someone else they smell bad? I feel that people saying that they are worried about HR just dont want to confront the person. That`s fine, but dont hide behind it.
Also how would it be discrimination to tell someone that they stink? Lets say they have a medical condition that makes them spin around and shit everywhere. Its discrimination to tell them to get the hell out of the lunch room?

Ive worked with welders and truck drivers that are truly disgusting creatures. When they smell really bad and wont change they are banned to their vehicles or kicked off site.

Hi! i'm a senior HR manager with about ten years in the industry, along with a fistful of degrees and certifications.

Yes, this has happened. Yes, I've dealt with discrimination complaints. No, they aren't fun at all, are very expensive, and when there is merit to the complaint you WILL need a lawyer that knows what he's doing.

9 times out of 10 its just a guy that needs a shower, but that 1 time out of ten that it's not, and there are grounds for a discrimination complaint you are looking at a shit ton of money out of pocket to deal with that, even if you win the case.

Explaining the ins and outs of what qualifies as an accomodation and when the employer is required to do it is a fairly long topic I don't have the energy for. Just trust me when I say for things like "body odor" send the guy to HR or Management to deal with the correct way. Telling him to "Go the fuck home and shower" will eventually blow up in your face.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine what happens if that person feels singled out by that anonymous note you wrote and goes to HR with it.

Well when they go to HR and that persons eyes start bleeding from the smell, maybe they will do something.

Even if the smell is medical or cultural or what ever doesn't mean that everybody else has to suffer for it. If that means the company has a duty to accommodate by placing the offenders desk outside on the roof so be it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Well when they go to HR and that persons eyes start bleeding from the smell, maybe they will do something.

Even if the smell is medical or cultural or what ever doesn't mean that everybody else has to suffer for it. If that means the company has a duty to accommodate by placing the offenders desk outside on the roof so be it.

This is a textbook definition of why HR exists. Some of us know the legal limits of what the employer has to do and how to accommodate it. Managing a business the way you suggest is a good way to end up in a lot of pain. This is the last time I'm addressing the issue.