• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe this is in perpetuity though as I think there's a periodic check but let's say it was. It would be tied to that device until it dies with no way to migrate to a new device.
I appreciate your response above also; this is true though I also have the discs though which will be good in theory probably for decades(at least 2); and then you still wont get HDR or 4K on those blu-rays you already ripped in 10 years when you want it

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
congrats on the A9G (I'm guessing?). You're doing your self a disservice not watching your movies in 4K UHD with Dolby vision/HDR at least though if you own one. It's worth it. You will absolutely notice the difference especially on many of the new higher quality 4K UHD remasters of older films.
LG G6

And no, there's no discernible difference. I've done many double-dip comparisons, most recently with Avengers Endgame. 4K is absolutely meaningless for film. Nearly everything is mastered at 2K and upscaled anyway. For the few films that are actually native, even at 77" the increased detail is imperceptible. Maybe on 90" screens it matters, but for the stuff in 99% of homes 4K is useless for movies. Games are another story.

As for HDR, I stay away from it due to the fact that it doesn't look right since it was mastered on displays with far higher peak brightness than we have at home. Or it was mastered knowing that we didn't have high peak brightness at home, so stuff that is several years old will look wrong on newer displays that do have higher brightness. Either way it's a crapshoot where you never know if you're seeing the correct image. SDR on a professionally calibrated display is still the only way to ensure that, so that's what I do.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Agree to disagree I guess. I can 'almost' alway notice more detail, even on 2kdi fake 4K upscale on a 75" X900E. not to mention the vastly increased color depth 4K gives you which is usually more important.

Also new 4K players from Panasonic actually let you color correct the HDR so you can calibrate it properly to your liking.

edit: anywho, to each their own, nothing wrong with Blu quality and still way better than a 4K stream.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Anybody got any recommendations which drive I should buy to make digital backups of my 4K UHD Blu-rays?

Do I want a burner?

I just want to backup what I already own, not make new discs.

I have an older blu-ray pc drive in a box somewhere... probably won't work to make copies of my 4K discs...

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody got any recommendations which drive I should buy to make digital backups of my 4K UHD Blu-rays?

Do I want a burner?

I just want to backup what I already own, not make new discs.

I have an older blu-ray pc drive in a box somewhere... probably won't work to make copies of my 4K discs...

I use a LG WH16NS60 which is commonly recommended. I paid $100 for it on Amazon. This thread also has a list of recommended drives as well:

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have any advice other than make sure you get a player that does 24hz with blu-rays.

I bought a cheap UHD BD player that does 24hz with UHD blu-rays, but only 60hz with standard blu-rays. No reason to deal with 3:2 pulldown this day and age.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Get you a blu ray drive for your pc, and an external hdd. then download plex and put all your movies there. Nice and simple.

I use a LG WH16NS60 which is commonly recommended. This thread also has a list of recommended drives as well:

Cosign this. Although, mine does fail to rip certain blu Rays, so I have to restart my computer, then it works. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plex server is where it's at, especially if you have combine it with a Synology NAS. You get better quality than any streaming services. You can use something like MakeMKV to rip the movies. With Plex premium, you can sync to your iPad and watch the movies locally. It's been a game changer for me.

Feb 1, 2018
I use an xbox one x exclusively as a UHD blu ray player/occasional Halo MCC and it does a pretty good job but the stock blu ray app is definitely buggy sometimes

Ideally I'd have one of these instead

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I use an xbox one x exclusively as a UHD blu ray player/occasional Halo MCC and it does a pretty good job but the stock blu ray app is definitely buggy sometimes

And since it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread: both One S and One X support UHD discs (and 4K upscaling of sub-4K content, when output set to 4K). For those without either console, the One S is a lot closer in price to standalone UHD players.

Nov 8, 2017
No, I didn't. There would still be drm attached to it which would need to be validated somehow. There is no reality in which we get drm free movies to download.
Paying one-off fees to rent movies for an unspecified period is not buying digital movies. If what you say is indeed the case, then there is no reality in which I'm paying to watch movies.

If it doesn't work on my Linux Kodi box, I'm not buying it, simple as.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Paying one-off fees to rent movies for an unspecified period is not buying digital movies. If what you say is indeed the case, then there is no reality in which I'm paying to watch movies.

If it doesn't work on my Linux Kodi box, I'm not buying it, simple as.

You haven't thought this through. Any digital movie whether it be streamed, rented, or bought will have DRM attached to it and in most cases you'll have to use their software to launch/play it. If this wasn't in place, people would just freely copy and share files. Do you think they're going to allow that? No. The idea that you'll get drm free content is a fantasy that won't happen and if you don't authenticate periodically, it will have to be tied to the device until it dies. So a company going out of business will suddenly deny you that authentication check that has to happen for one reason or another.

The only way you're going to get this is to strip the drm yourself or rip them yourself. Ripping is the ideal solution since it gives the best quality with flexibility for you to use however you want.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
I use a LG WH16NS60 which is commonly recommended. I paid $100 for it on Amazon. This thread also has a list of recommended drives as well:

Thanks for the info.

Movies are the last physical media in our house.

We're all digital with games, books, and music but we're still buying movies on disc because we don't like the lower quality of streaming, and we watch tons of movies when the internet goes out.

We weren't going to make the jump to 4k but then I made the mistake of buying my husband The Matrix in 4k for Christmas and it was all downhill from there. The Matrix was worth the upgrade for the revised color grading alone, and then you throw in the higher quality and it's crazy. You can see the pores and stubble on Keanu's face.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough, but we already have 100GB+ downloadable games, so I don't see why movies can't also be that big. Alternatively, why can't they offer lower quality options to download for those who need it? As it currently stands, there's literally no option to purchase a movie digitally to download in any format or quality.
Where do you store it? A PC doesn't make much sense for most setups.

Nov 8, 2017
You haven't thought this through. Any digital movie whether it be streamed, rented, or bought will have DRM attached to it and in most cases you'll have to use their software to launch/play it. If this wasn't in place, people would just freely copy and share files. Do you think they're going to allow that? No. The idea that you'll get drm free content is a fantasy that won't happen and if you don't authenticate periodically, it will have to be tied to the device until it dies. So a company going out of business will suddenly deny you that authentication check that has to happen for one reason or another.

The only way you're going to get this is to strip the drm yourself or rip them yourself. Ripping is the ideal solution since it gives the best quality with flexibility for you to use however you want.
I've thought this through plenty. People copy and share movies anyway, DRM hasn't stopped them and it never will. DRM free movie distribution has already been sussed out (I'm not saying it's been done legally, but the fact that it's been done proves that it's technically viable). And yes, I'm well aware that it's unlikely to happen, but that doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't assert my view that the industry will not receive any money from me until they meet my requirements. One doesn't influence change by staying silent.

The music industry learned their lesson a long time ago and went DRM free, and I've bought plenty of digital music since that happened.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
So I was high and wanted to watch La La Land and my old xbox one basically acted like I fed it a sandwich. I had to reset it three times just to convince it to give up the disc. So now I'm high and sad. What do I do?

I know I very rarely play my Blu-rays. A sane person might go all digital but that ain't me right now. I like my shelf and I like my special features.

But all the available options for playing Blu-rays seem like they suck. Shell out 200 for a new Xbox one and now I have a console just about to become an old console. Wait six months and pay a couple extra hundred on a new console that I don't want to use over my PC. Buy a Blu-ray drive for my PC. I had one a while and the software is crummy and UHD support is non-existent. Or buy a separate Blu-ray player which have somehow never gone down in price and just take up space and an HDMI port.
FYI, and I know the moment is lost to the sands of time, but La La land is free (with ads) on the Vudu app.

OP
OP
PersonAndStuff
Oct 27, 2017
FYI, and I know the moment is lost to the sands of time, but La La land is free (with ads) on the Vudu app.
Thanks. It used to be on Netflix and Amazon Prime and Hulu. Now it's just on Vudu. I hate the future.
I figured out that the issue was somewhat specific to the La La Land Blu-ray not playing well with older drives. But my Xbox One is still not long for this world. It barely works for other Blu-rays.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought this through plenty. People copy and share movies anyway, DRM hasn't stopped them and it never will. DRM free movie distribution has already been sussed out (I'm not saying it's been done legally, but the fact that it's been done proves that it's technically viable). And yes, I'm well aware that it's unlikely to happen, but that doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't assert my view that the industry will not receive any money from me until they meet my requirements. One doesn't influence change by staying silent.

The music industry learned their lesson a long time ago and went DRM free, and I've bought plenty of digital music since that happened.

Of course it's technically possible to release a movie DRM free; that's a silly statement to make because like you said, it's not done legally. The music industry has decline dramatically because of choices made and the movie industry doesn't want to follow in the same footsteps. They have no reason to enable people to make it even easier to distribute movies and content either. Saying piracy already exists isn't a good enough reason for them to suddenly open the floodgates of removing DRM. I'm no fan of DRM, hence I rip my own content to bypass the reliance on it, but I also understand the reality of the situation. Feel free to protest in whatever way you want, but I wouldn't hold my breath over it. What you're asking for just isn't going to happen.

But hey, it looks like there is a new alternative to get high bitrate movies with lossless audio with digital distribution:

www.kaleidescape.com

The Ultimate Movie Platform - Kaleidescape

Kaleidescape elevates every component of your media system with lossless audio and reference quality video for the ultimate cinematic experience.

You're better off with ripping your owh movies off disc though...

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
UHD support does exist on PCs these days but only if you have an Intel CPU. If you're not interested in getting a next gen console, then it sounds like your PC is the easiest way to go and you can just get a UHD drive. Now if you want to actually invest a little time, the ideal thing to do is buy a UHD friendly drive, have a decent size HDD, and rip all your content to play back in something like Kodi so that you get all the benefits of physical with all the convenience of digital and that includes having your extras available. This is the route I've gone and I have my entire physical disc collection available on demand and distributed through the house with the ability to start a movie in one room and finish it in another.

I've been doing this for years (dvd, bluray and now 4K). I find it a lot more convenient than going through my collection and inserting/ejecting discs. I can cycle through the menus and bam watch what I want instantly. I have chewed through a few disc drives on the computer - the most recent started failing to read discs inside a month of owning it (my fault for wearing it out so fast after backing up 200 movies!).

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
question: should I continue building a blu-ray library in the wake of 4K? Feel like it isn't as big a jump like dvd to blu-ray.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i've used a PS4 as my bluray player since 2015

i used to own a standalone but it broke like a year after i got the PS4. after that playing movies there was good enough for me.

now i'm waiting for PS5 for the 4K Bluray upgrade since that should replace the PS4 if BC turns out well.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
question: should I continue building a blu-ray library in the wake of 4K? Feel like it isn't as big a jump like dvd to blu-ray.

Just buy the 4K version to future proof yourself. I've been doing that for awhile since the cost difference is small, and it comes with a blu-ray anyway. Plus the big difference is HDR and not resolution when it comes to UHD movies.

n0rb5

Banned
Feb 17, 2020
killafornia
I understand high definition(720p/1080p) and ultra 4k(2160p) but I can honestly say I have never watched anything on "Blu-ray" can someone explain the difference between high definition/4k to Blu-ray?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I understand high definition(720p/1080p) and ultra 4k(2160p) but I can honestly say I have never watched anything on "Blu-ray" can someone explain the difference between high definition/4k to Blu-ray?

Blu-ray discs tend to be 1080p video but how it differs from say Netflix or most other sources is the video is much higher quality because it's a higher bitrate. Often people focus on resolution but it's the combination of bitrate and resolution that really makes up the quality of the picture. So because the video bitrate is higher, the image quality is better. Bitrate is usually lower on something like Netflix to make the data size smaller which makes it easier to stream across a wide range of network connections. Another thing is Blu-rays often have lossless audio tracks where as most other sources have lossy audio. So the video and audio ends up being better on Blu-ray. The same general differences apply when looking at UHD Blu-ray movies too; higher bitrate video and lossless audio quality.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Standalone player all the way for me. The gaming consoles did well in a pinch if for some reason the dedicated player busted or had issues with the sound (some older players had issues playing Atmos mixes without adding delay), but a dedicated player is how I have been doing it since late 99 for all my physical media. Which I have a lot of.

Right now using an LG UBK90 UHD player on the main tv downstairs. Upstairs on the old plasma have a Panasonic BD35K for blu ray discs. Other bedroom has a slightly older Panasonic disc player just in case on that cheap LCD TV.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bolded is my biggest problem. I have zero interest in streaming services; I just want to purchase media to keep on my media server and play on my my Kodi HTPC that's connected to my TV. I'm really not that fussy about quality. My vision is terrible anyway; I can barely even tell the difference between 4K and 720p on my 55" OLED. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

I know I can rip Blu-Rays myself, but that involves the additional expense of buying a Blu-Ray drive that I otherwise don't need, as well as the manual effort of figuring out how to rip the movie and actually doing it myself.

Man this is me too. I've been researching NAS and how to digitize my physical media for like two years now and I just can't pull the trigger.

I could just go digital only but I've got like 20 years of DVDs/Blu-Rays now and I really don't want to have to buy all that again. On top of that, what I really don't want is locking myself into a particular digital store and all that it entails.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally waiting on the next-gen consoles to jump on the 4k machine but man, just 1080p blurays sure give UHD steaming a run for their money.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Man this is me too. I've been researching NAS and how to digitize my physical media for like two years now and I just can't pull the trigger.

I could just go digital only but I've got like 20 years of DVDs/Blu-Rays now and I really don't want to have to buy all that again. On top of that, what I really don't want is locking myself into a particular digital store and all that it entails.
Darknight , help some people out!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just rip them to a Plex server. NAS is probably the cheapest, but I love the simplicity of my Mac mini/Drobo setup.

Just to clarify though, iTunes does let you download your movies. Downloading is kind of the point of iTunes. The option to stream is fairly new in the grand scheme of things. There is DRM, but there are stripper programs out there to get around that if you want.

I done recommend iTunes copies though. Low bitrate, lossy audio.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty gung ho about ripping to a media server (have a Synology NAS) but to be honest most of my higher quality viewing now is of 3D blu-rays and they just wont work over Plex. Also ripping 4k uhds seems like a pain and I havent bought a uhd blu ray player for the PC yet so its back to an actual disc player, many of which are really full featured nowadays. Currently I use a Cambridge CXUHD and a Xbox One X in the den.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019

Sometimes 4k is too much detail. You will be able to see the pores on an actor's face. Makeup and wigs look more obvious. I really like costume design and in 4k you can see a lot more detail.

But landscapes are glorious. Certain shots look so good you won't believe it.

HDR makes a huge difference.

I'm not buying all my blu-ray discs again in 4k but I will upgrade my favorites.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Your OP doesn't make it clear if you just want a Blu Ray player or a 4k Blu Ray because you mention the lack of UHD support on pc?

Because if it's just a standalone Blu Ray player you need they are ~$50 now.

Nov 8, 2017
Of course it's technically possible to release a movie DRM free; that's a silly statement to make because like you said, it's not done legally. The music industry has decline dramatically because of choices made and the movie industry doesn't want to follow in the same footsteps. They have no reason to enable people to make it even easier to distribute movies and content either. Saying piracy already exists isn't a good enough reason for them to suddenly open the floodgates of removing DRM. I'm no fan of DRM, hence I rip my own content to bypass the reliance on it, but I also understand the reality of the situation. Feel free to protest in whatever way you want, but I wouldn't hold my breath over it. What you're asking for just isn't going to happen.

But hey, it looks like there is a new alternative to get high bitrate movies with lossless audio with digital distribution:

www.kaleidescape.com

The Ultimate Movie Platform - Kaleidescape

Kaleidescape elevates every component of your media system with lossless audio and reference quality video for the ultimate cinematic experience.

You're better off with ripping your owh movies off disc though...
Yeah, I acknowledged in my previous post that it's unlikely to happen. As far as I'm concerned, that's their loss more than mine.

I don't think NAS is really necessary? I host my media from a collection of internal and external HDD's connected to my normal desktop PC, which is now six years old, and wasn't particularly high end even when I bought it. I just use Samba on Linux (Windows File Sharing server) to expose the media to my Linux-based Kodi HTPC. I've never had any performance issues doing it this way, so I don't really see what advantage there is to using an expensive dedicated NAS.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017

Do you have any particular need for all the high-end audio outputs on the UB9000? I ask because the UB820 is basically the same except for fewer audio outputs (HDMI and multichannel analogue, so it drops XLR and dedicated stereo), and lower build quality, but for half the price. The 820 is what I have and it's a brilliant player.

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
You can always rip the disks to your computer, then use something like Plex to stream them uncompressed. Assuming the streaming source can direct play what you're trying to watch.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Sometimes 4k is too much detail. You will be able to see the pores on an actor's face. Makeup and wigs look more obvious. I really like costume design and in 4k you can see a lot more detail.

But landscapes are glorious. Certain shots look so good you won't believe it.

HDR makes a huge difference.

I'm not buying all my blu-ray discs again in 4k but I will upgrade my favorites.

Yeah, if that's the case I'm OK with not upgrading current blu ray discs. I'd get the 4k edition of a film if I don't have it already since it comes with the BD.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if that's the case I'm OK with not upgrading current blu ray discs. I'd get the 4k edition of a film if I don't have it already since it comes with the BD.
Blu-ray.com usually has pretty decent reviews of both the Blu-ray and 4K UHD releases of movies which give insight into which are truly worth picking up in 4K versus just grabbing the Blu.

Feb 1, 2018
Do you have any particular need for all the high-end audio outputs on the UB9000? I ask because the UB820 is basically the same except for fewer audio outputs (HDMI and multichannel analogue, so it drops XLR and dedicated stereo), and lower build quality, but for half the price. The 820 is what I have and it's a brilliant player.

I've heard about this model but did not know it had the same HCX image processor- that was my main selling point. I appreciate build quality but if the unit's just sitting on a shelf so I suppose it's not that necessary. Thanks for letting me know!

I found an open box 9000 on ebay for 750 tho hahaah too tempting

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I acknowledged in my previous post that it's unlikely to happen. As far as I'm concerned, that's their loss more than mine.

I think the reality is it's their gain rather than their loss. Their loss would be if they removed DRM and made it even easier for people to pass movies around. But if you really want full quality movies that are digitally distributed, check out Kaleidescope.

I don't think NAS is really necessary? I host my media from a collection of internal and external HDD's connected to my normal desktop PC, which is now six years old, and wasn't particularly high end even when I bought it. I just use Samba on Linux (Windows File Sharing server) to expose the media to my Linux-based Kodi HTPC. I've never had any performance issues doing it this way, so I don't really see what advantage there is to using an expensive dedicated NAS.

Necessary, no, but certainly is useful for ease and a number of other reasons such as easy hot swapping hard drives and upgrades for hard drive maintenance purposes, lower power consumption than using your typical PC, easier to setup setting up a centralize database for Kodi and other plugin software, and so forth. If you're just using your main PC to distribute and setting up network shares, you've created a glorified NAS anyway. There's plenty of advantages and reasons for getting a dedicated NAS but it is certainly not necessary.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Since there's a lot of ripping video collection talk, I'll ask here:

What's the easy solution for ripped DVD 480i content?

Plex doesn't handle straight MakeMKV DVD rips well. Do you deinterlace them via Handbrake (losing some quality in the process); if so, what settings do I need? Or is there a decent app that handles playback well (like going through a DVD/blu-ray player would)?

FWIW, last time I tried this was the Plex app on FireTV, and the Plex windows app; neither handled these rips well. Blu-ray rips looked great, no interlacing to worry about.

Oct 27, 2017

Plex doesn't handle straight MakeMKV DVD rips well. Do you deinterlace them via Handbrake (losing some quality in the process); if so, what settings do I need? Or is there a decent app that handles playback well (like going through a DVD/blu-ray player would)?

I haven't had any issues lately with Plex handling my straight DVD rips. They've really stepped up their MPEG2 support lately, so I haven't had to transcode much.

That said, when I do have to transcode then I usually end up doing a few really short encodes at different settings (like just chapter 1 or something) to see how it handles that particular rip. Sometimes the default settings work great, but other times they cause a weird jitteriness to the picture. Other times one setting might work great with that particular video, but looks like crap on another. With Mythbustes and their super crappy DVDs I ended up having to leave them interlaced when converting to H.264. None of the deinterlacing I tried with those looked good.

As for encoding settings, I've found that H.264 with a quality setting of around 17-20 and encoder set to slower ends up getting a pretty good quality video. If you do A/B testing with single frames you might see a difference, but it's pretty small. You can get closer, but file sizes start getting big faster than the quality improvement does.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I haven't had any issues lately with Plex handling my straight DVD rips. They've really stepped up their MPEG2 support lately, so I haven't had to transcode much.

That said, when I do have to transcode then I usually end up doing a few really short encodes at different settings (like just chapter 1 or something) to see how it handles that particular rip. Sometimes the default settings work great, but other times they cause a weird jitteriness to the picture. Other times one setting might work great with that particular video, but looks like crap on another. With Mythbustes and their super crappy DVDs I ended up having to leave them interlaced when converting to H.264. None of the deinterlacing I tried with those looked good.
It's been a few years since I tried it last. I may have to give it another shot. Which app are you using for playback?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

FWIW, last time I tried this was the Plex app on FireTV, and the Plex windows app; neither handled these rips well. Blu-ray rips looked great, no interlacing to worry about.

Plex doesn't handle deinterlacing? I would have thought it would. I just use Kodi and let it deinterlace the content.