• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How should Capcom approach the Versus series going into next-gen?

• Try again with Marvel, they seem to have learned their lesson from MvCI.

Votes: 95 21.1%
  • Return to another company that did a Versus game with Capcom before (Ex: SNK, Tatsunoko, etc.).

Votes: 54 12.0%
  • Team up with a new third party company like Blizzard, Square-Enix, or Shonen Jump.

Votes: 49 10.9%
  • Make Project X Zone into a Versus fighting game (basically Sega vs. Bandai Namco vs. Capcom).

Votes: 49 10.9%
  • Cross over with a first party company (I.E. Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft).

Votes: 28 6.2%
  • Go it alone, do Capcom All-Stars.

Votes: 150 33.3%
  • Don't bother bringing back the Versus series at all.

Votes: 26 5.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Are we still doing this? Capcom's side was equally:
1) Shitty
2) Rehashed from the previous game, and
3) Lacking in females

as Marvel's side. That's Capcom's fault.
My point was that Marvel likely had an equal gender ratio policy, similar to their "No shared VAs across both sides" rule.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
My point was that Marvel likely had an equal gender ratio policy, similar to their "No shared VAs across both sides" rule.
They didn't even care if both sides had the same amount of characters (in fact the character select screen ended up looking terrible) and Capcom also ended up having more female characters than Marvel anyway. These excuses to try to get the blame away from Capcom need to stop.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
4/10 new characters were women.

6/36 of the roster were women.

Yeah. That's a problem.
I beleive the ratio of male ot female characters, not counting non-humanods, is better in MvCi's case compared to UmVc3 which introduced many female characters.The total number is lower 12/54 compared to 6/36 but the ratio is higher.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
voted for capcom allstars just for the safety but frankly i could rock with any of those options
i dont really care who's in it, i just want a versus game in the same vein as mvc3

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is cheaper for capcom to do a capcom all star and the demand is there.

Which means they will do a capcom vs shonen jump that will never get out of japan or something stupid like that

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not a problem, it's a preference. Most people don't care about petty things like this.

Yes, it's a problem. Like, imagine if the next MvC did almost zero characters from outside the MCU. No X-Men, no anything. Only the safest of shit. That's preference, but it's still a problem, and it was when MvCI was made too. Drawing an arbitrary line that says that franchise representation is important and gender is not is stupid af.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
No, it's not a problem, it's a preference. Most people don't care about petty things like this.

Nope, don't care .. it is just 1/3 of the reason people choose a main

Perceived Strengh
Playstyle
and
Character

And dude even mentions that perceived strengh is mostly just for pro players.

And it is not a "sjw" thing either
We have people who care about representation, we have people who like the women characters that already exist and can be used and we have even the people who wants bouncing boobs getting more boucing boobs.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Marvel and Capcom relations have yet to worked in Capcom's favor after mvc2. Plus when the contract is up, they can no longer patch the games or sell them digitally. They're better off doing Capcom Fighting Evolution 2
How much longer is Disney signed with Capcom? When was their contract signed? When is it up? And internally, is Disney confidant they can tackle the fighting genre on their own, or are they content to hang it up for good on the vs. fighter format, and by that I mean all possibilities, 2D and 3D.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
honestly I voted for partner with a console developer. But at the same time I'm also of the thought that it might be time to shelve the vs series for the foreseeable future.

Oh and for the record no I don't think Capcom all stars is a viable Option lol.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Why not? Every major game capcom released in the past year has been a huge sucess so it is not like they lack the money for it
I think what he means is that Capcom as a whole probably can't push a Versus game on their own in terms of brand appeal. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think what he means is that Capcom as a whole probably can't push a Versus game on their own in terms of brand appeal. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

This is absolute nonsense if it is the reason ... Capcom is pushing RIGHT NOW a (not that good) fighting game with just one of their franchises ... why adding MORE franchises would make it less pushable ?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
This is absolute nonsense if it is the reason ... Capcom is pushing RIGHT NOW a (not that good) fighting game with just one of their franchises ... why adding MORE franchises would make it less pushable ?

The idea is that people aren't convinced that Capcom characters have the brand power the same way Nintendo does.

I personally think Capcom is the ONLY ones with IPs strong enough to make their own All-Stars next to Nintendo.

MachGao

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I think All Stars would do fine if the presentation was actually good this time around and not a dumpster fire like Marvel Infinite's.

That alone can get people talking and spreading good word of mouth.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go Marvel vs. Nintendo vs. Capcom

Honestly, I'd accept Marvel vs. Nintendo, but just get Sissel & Lynne and Phoenix Wright (And somehow get Bayo, maybe Sonic buy if you do bring Jack Frost).

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just do a Capcom versus game. They don't need the Marvel license or whatever, their character roster is huge. Then we could get more obscure picks and characters that should have been in MvC like Gene or Asura.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The idea is that people aren't convinced that Capcom characters have the brand power the same way Nintendo does.

I personally think Capcom is the ONLY ones with IPs strong enough to make their own All-Stars next to Nintendo.

While I do agree with you, i find it funny how there is only "cannot be smash bros" and "can be smash bros" in these discussions.

Like if Capcom vs Capcom does 30% of the sales of smash it already surpassed SF5 by almost a million. And I believe Capcom brand power is MUCH bigger than 50% of Nintendo's

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
While I do agree with you, i find it funny how there is only "cannot be smash bros" and "can be smash bros" in these discussions.

Like if Capcom vs Capcom does 30% of the sales of smash it already surpassed SF5 by almost a million. And I believe Capcom brand power is MUCH bigger than 50% of Nintendo's

True power is being able to get fighting game players to try out a card game with just your characters alone.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
True power is being able to get fighting game players to try out a card game with just your characters alone.

Fighting game players will eat anything capcom shits.

What they should focus is doing it to anyone else, which is why my vote for Capcom vs Capcom is to be made as a smash clone.... to reach an even bigger casual audience and make them interested in more traditional stuff. And maybe make some fighting game legends respects smash more in the process xD

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
The idea that a Capcom All-Stars fighter not being able to stand alone is baseless and kind of obnoxious discussion gatekeeping to a degree Neoxon. If they market the game properly, has good presentation--and if it's a good game, it'll do well.

We have no past successes or failures for a Capcom-only title to use as a base for today's market. And using Capcom Fighting Jam/Evolution as an example (which some people do for whatever reason) would be false equivalency.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Why not? Every major game capcom released in the past year has been a huge sucess so it is not like they lack the money for it
Not a money thing. I just think that outside of 4 IP's they lack the pull to host a vs game on their own. Unless we wanted a game where it would mostly be MH, RE, SF, and DMC. Most every other IP they have has been wasting away as of late. And if we are also being honest I don't know how much of a pull SF is when you do a vs series against yourself.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
More female characters. The DMC series alone can give you Lucia, Trish and Lady. And Resident Evil characters are all dumb and derpy in a fighting game. It doesn't matter who you choose (since it'll just be gun play with basic brawling) So choose Claire over Chris, Ada over Leon etc. etc.

They better have DMC5 Dante in there. Getting tired of DMC3 Dante's moveset.

I would say have Nero, Vergil and V, but that may tip too many male characters over female characters.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Not a money thing. I just think that outside of 4 IP's they lack the pull to host a vs game on their own. Unless we wanted a game where it would mostly be MH, RE, SF, and DMC. Most every other IP they have has been wasting away as of late. And if we are also being honest I don't know how much of a pull SF is when you do a vs series against yourself.

People who like those characters aren't going to stop liking those characters because they haven't had a new game. If anything they'll be more motivated to support a game with those characters in it.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
More female characters. The DMC series alone can give you Lucia, Trish and Lady. And Resident Evil characters are all dumb and derpy in a fighting game. It doesn't matter who you choose (since it'll just be gun play with basic brawling) So choose Claire over Chris, Ada over Leon etc. etc.

They better have DMC5 Dante in there. Getting tired of DMC3 Dante's moveset.

I would say have Nero, Vergil and V, but that may tip too many male characters over female characters.
Trust me, I've been pushing for more women in fighting games for years, but Nero & Vergil are basically inevitable in the next Versus game (V as well, to an extent). And while I can get behind your Claire idea, I'm not sure if Capcom would go for Ada over Leon. Then again, they aren't like Sakurai in terms of his main-characters-first mentality, so maybe.

I think the problem is that Capcom as a brand isn't as strong as, say, Nintendo as a brand. If the average joe saw "Capcom All-Stars" on the shelf, they may not be as inclined to get it at a glance. Perhaps it would help if it was called "Street Fighter vs. Capcom", something to capitalize on the more well-known properties.

As for your point earlier, I avoided using Capcom Fighting Evolution & the like as

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Trust me, I've been pushing for more women in fighting games for years, but Nero & Vergil are basically inevitable in the next Versus game (V as well, to an extent). And while I can get behind your Claire idea, I'm not sure if Capcom would go for Ada over Leon. Then again, they aren't like Sakurai in terms of his main-characters-first mentality, so maybe.

I think the problem is that Capcom as a brand isn't as strong as, say, Nintendo as a brand. If the average joe saw "Capcom All-Stars" on the shelf, they may not be as inclined to get it at a glance. Perhaps it would help if it was called "Street Fighter vs. Capcom", something to capitalize on the more well-known properties.

As for your point earlier, I avoided using Capcom Fighting Jam & the like as

I don't know. I thought Nero was going to be a shoe-in for UMVC3 or MVCI, but he never showed. Dante and Trish are a lock in though. Since they have already been translated into a fighting game before. But I'll disappointed if it's DMC3 Dante, I'd even take DMC4 Dante just so its something different. We've had DMC3 Dante for two fighting games already.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California

It doesn't need to be Smash brothers today. Nor does it ever need to sell as well. The constant comparison to modern Nintendo is pointless. Even they (Nintendo) had to start somewhere. Better late than never for Capcom. They have an opportunity to make their characters more important for the future, and no better way to do it than to establish a franchise with a quality game.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Nothing is as strong as the Nintendo brand but if there's any other company that can pull off an All Stars it's Capcom

....And Square Enix I suppose

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't know. I thought Nero was going to be a shoe-in for UMVC3 or MVCI, but he never showed. Dante and Trish are a lock in though. Since they have already been translated into a fighting game before. But I'll disappointed if it's DMC3 Dante, I'd even take DMC4 Dante just so its something different. We've had DMC3 Dante for two fighting games already.
But Nero didn't really come into his own until DMC5, which basically solidified his place as a DMC mainstay. When we get another Versus game, Nero is probably gonna be at the top of most people's wishlists.

It doesn't need to be Smash brothers today. Nor does it ever need to sell as well. The constant comparison to modern Nintendo is pointless. Even they (Nintendo) had to start somewhere. Better late than never for Capcom. They have an opportunity to make their characters more important for the future, and no better way to do it than to establish a franchise with a quality game.
They also need to get on reviving more of their franchises. As mentioned before, Capcom let too many of them rot over the years.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well yeah. But so did many other companies--including Nintendo.
I'd argue that Nintendo still has that problem to an extent, though Sakurai has sort of circumvented this by drawing more from third party franchises. Obviously I don't expect Capcom to go that far if they were to go it alone, but Nintendo still had a somewhat-decent library of active franchises to pull from early on (outside of choices intentionally made for retro appeal like Ice Climbers & Duck Hunt).

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I'd argue that Nintendo still has that problem to an extent, though Sakurai has sort of circumvented this by drawing more from third party franchises. Obviously I don't expect Capcom to go that far if they were to go it alone, but Nintendo still had a somewhat-decent library of active franchises to pull from early on (outside of choices intentionally made for retro appeal like Ice Climbers & Duck Hunt).
Capcom will be fine with a solo fighter is my point. Their competitors are irrelevant. It's up to them whether or not they can make the idea succeed.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Capcom will be fine with a solo fighter is my point. Their competitors are irrelevant. It's up to them whether or not they can make the idea succeed.
My overall point has been not that they can't do it ever, but rather that it would need to be a lower-budget title along the lines of Killer Instinct. To use your example from earlier, even Smash didn't start off that big. The difference now is that it wouldn't be full price & would be able to be expanded upon after the fact via DLC. If it succeeds, Capcom can grow Capcom All-Stars as a brand from there.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
They also need to get on reviving more of their franchises. As mentioned before, Capcom let too many of them rot over the years.

LOL.

Capcom is a Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, occasional Esports developer. It took them 11 years for them to 'revive' Devil May Cry.

We'll see how DMC5 has sold come August 1st, (capcom's fiscal report) but even if it broke 3 million - that's a fucking joke compared to Monster Hunter World.

What reason does Capcom have for Dino Crisis and/or Onimusha when they can just put out more Monster Hunter content.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
My overall point has been not that they can't do it ever, but rather that it would need to be a lower-budget title along the lines of Killer Instinct. Even Smash didn't start off that big, the difference now is that it wouldn't be full price & would be able to be expanded upon after the fact via DLC. If it succeeds, Capcom can grow Capcom All-Stars as a brand from there.
Doesn't matter how they execute it. As long as it's a good game, that's all that matters to me. I'm inclined to agree with you that the KI format makes sense, however, I don't think a full-fledged title will necessarily be a failure either.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Capcom VS Square Enix could be really good. There would be a lot of roster space for some deep cuts.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Capcom VS Square Enix could be really good. There would be a lot of roster space for some deep cuts.
Between Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, NieR, Just Cause, & a bunch of other IPs, there's plenty of room to come up with a solid Square-Enix side of the roster. I'd imagine that Sora would miss the boat, but his inclusion would require Disney to sign off on it.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I want a new MAHVEL, a Nintendo vs Capcom, SEGA vs Capcom, ARC SYSTEM WORKS vs Capcom, a new Capcom vs SNK, or hell the mad dreams of Marvel vs Capcom vs Nintendo or Nintendo vs SEGA vs Capcom...

I went with Capcom All-Stars. Oh sure it'll probably be titled Street Fighter vs Resident Evil and a Bunch of Other Guys, but in terms of financials and overall potential that's probably Capcom's best bet for a new successful crossover Vs. game.