• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
That's how it works in most of these games though, the battle pass is "free" but the premium stuff is there to make it very much in your interest to buy it.

Luke literally mentions them introducing paying for ranks at the end of the season as a "catch -up"

I'm not saying this is a criticism, but it's literally just a standard battle pass, except with gameplay-relevant items.

except if you are a fan of destiny and have been buying the seasons anyway you are literally spending 0 more money on the pass.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
This isn't a typical battle pass. you arent buying the pass you are buying the seasonal content for that 10 weeks. the pass just comes along with it and you get stuff as you rank up. and you rank up fast. it isn't hundreds of hours like fortnite and its just playing the game. and you cant just buy your way into getting everything either.

There is no negative to this.

Interesting to hear, thanks.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of these changes, at all. Destiny was a great casual game that I could pop into every now and then and get my fill before something else released. Now it seems like you'll have to play it constantly, while also having the benefit of giving them more money so you can have the honor of grinding for more useless shit. I'm not out of the game, completely. I just don't like what I'm seeing.

8 hours is what they said it would take for 10 ranks. there are 100 ranks. so maybe 1 hour a day if that. and there are boosts and bounties to boost that even further. this isn't a hundreds of hours system like fortnite.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the modes they take away are then replaced by modes of a similar quality that give a similar level of rewards, I have no real issue with modes being cycled out. At least not any more so than I would with, say, an LTM in Fortnite.

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of these changes, at all. Destiny was a great casual game that I could pop into every now and then and get my fill before something else released. Now it seems like you'll have to play it constantly, while also having the benefit of giving them more money so you can have the honor of grinding for more useless shit. I'm not out of the game, completely. I just don't like what I'm seeing.

destiny being extremely casual friendly is what killed the game in the first place. thank god the grind is back...and its not even that hardcore

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
As long as the modes they take away are then replaced by modes of a similar quality that give a similar level of rewards, I have no real issue with modes being cycled out. At least not any more so than I would with, say, an LTM in Fortnite.
This is more or less what they were hinting at when talking about rotating the events out. i'm all for it because, at some point, it becomes impossible to balance and D2 already has far more to do in it than D1 in its entirety.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
8 hours is what they said it would take for 10 ranks. there are 100 ranks. so maybe 1 hour a day if that. and there are boosts and bounties to boost that even further. this isn't a hundreds of hours system like fortnite.

I suppose that doesn't sound too bad. I'll need to play it to see if I truly enjoy it though, which I will. :-P

WhisperOfMalice

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Question for the Destiny players. I really want to get back into Destiny, would now be a good time to buy the Forsaken expansion? Or would it be better to wait?

Oct 27, 2017
You'd need to buy:
  • The Forsaken Complete Edition ($40 USD)
    • This includes the Forsaken expansion and the Forsaken Annual Pass. It also technically includes the Curse of Osiris and Warmind expansions, but I believe those are already free to current owners of the game now? Someone else will have to chime in on that. Either way, it'll get you everything that has been released until today.​
  • The Shadowkeep Digital Deluxe Edition ($60 USD)
    • This includes the Shadowkeep expansion and all four seasons for year three of the game (essentially the Y3 equivalent of the Forsaken Annual Pass).​
Thanks for the reply. So 100 then...

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I think I know the answer but gonna ask anyways to be safe...got the Deluxe Shadowkeep edition pre-ordered, I'm good then right?

It contains everything right? At least for Year 3...

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the pass idea and the seasonal activity changes. It'll keep me engaged season to season rather than waiting to scoop the annual pass at the end of the year and running everything late.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I think I know the answer but gonna ask anyways to be safe...got the Deluxe Shadowkeep edition pre-ordered, I'm good then right?

It contains everything right? At least for Year 3...
Yes, if you have the Digital Deluxe version of Shadowkeep you'll get 4 Season Passes, carrying you through the next year of seasons.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
ive been watching from afar as i am still prepared to come back for Destiny 3 but uh..yea...things aint looking so enticing fam

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
We have:
Escalation Protocol
Blind Well
Forges (that only one is ever used now)
Reckoning
(Soon) Menagerie

All activities that will basically sit and collect dust/waste space.

Forges, Menagerie, and (to a much lesser extent) Reckoning will always have relevance to the extent that they are a way to get a guaranteed powerful engram in a targeted slot. If you run through all of your other challenges in a week and save those 'till the end, you can target your six lowest slots in order to maximize your LL gain.

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017
ive been watching from afar as i am still prepared to come back for Destiny 3 but uh..yea...things aint looking so enticing fam
Making the base game free...giving non annual pass owner's access to loot they would normally have been locked out of, and giving pass purchasers an additional source of loot...

what could possibly be enticing about that?

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Question for the Destiny players. I really want to get back into Destiny, would now be a good time to buy the Forsaken expansion? Or would it be better to wait?
Forsaken is pretty fucking good, but come in with the new-new. Besides with new light you'll get to experience some of that content yourself and make a decision if you want to buy forsaken or not

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Making the base game free...giving non annual pass owner's access to loot they would normally have been locked out of, and giving pass purchasers an additional source of loot...

what could possibly be enticing about that?
has more to do with how i expect D3 to launch and be sustained at launch, not how they are treating a product they are transitioning into its EOL period.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really wish they would get crossplay implemented sooner rather than later. My friends play on the Xbox, and it takes four minutes to load into the game on that ancient thing. I want to play it on my PC, and while I know they're letting you transfer saves around, I don't want to buy anything twice.

Perhaps not quite what you mean, but I'm not sure actual crossplay could ever work in a satisfactory manner. Right now on console I have 30-60 seconds of standing around at the start of any group activity, because I have an SSD in my PS4 Pro while other players do not. A PC loads a ton faster than even that, but then after crossplay all PC players would be waiting around for base XB1 to load in to a crucible map every game? It would suck lol.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
Perhaps not quite what you mean, but I'm not sure actual crossplay could ever work in a satisfactory manner. Right now on console I have 30-60 seconds of standing around at the start of any group activity, because I have an SSD in my PS4 Pro while other players do not. A PC loads a ton faster than even that, but then after crossplay all PC players would be waiting around for base XB1 to load in to a crucible map every game? It would suck lol.

I didn't even think of that. Well, here's hoping the SSDs in the next set of consoles get all of this fixed.

BTM

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back into Destiny and was about to buy the old annual pass in order to do more managerie runs, and all the other stuff with that, but now I'm wondering if that'd just be a waste of money. Will I be able to do more than one Managerie if I get the Deluxe Shadowkeep expansion or will I need to buy the old annual pass?

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
how can d2 be "eol" if d3 is probably 2-3 years away
Because they compared it in scope and nature to Rise of Iron, which was the EoL update for D1. And in the same interview said "they can't grow the game indefinitely forever." I'm not saying this is the last expansion or addition to D2. I'm simply saying I don't expect another "Forsaken" or TTK type expansion to come to D2, as it is nearing EOL status and I assume them to be working on D3 for launch in say 2021.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Because they compared it in scope and nature to Rise of Iron, which was the EoL update for D1. And in the same interview said "they can't grow the game indefinitely forever." I'm not saying this is the last expansion or addition to D2. I'm simply saying I don't expect another "Forsaken" or TTK type expansion to come to D2, as it is nearing EOL status and I assume them to be working on D3 for launch in say 2021.
The comparison to Rise of Iron is in order to set expectations for the expansion's size, not to signal that the game is in its final stages my dude. If anything the changes are being made to form a strategy for Destiny 2 to be around for years.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm really interested in the seasonal progression mechanic. Seems kind of like WoW artifacts but on a smaller scale. I usually stop playing when I feel like I'm not progressing so I'm hoping this lights a new spark for me.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
The comparison to Rise of Iron is in order to set expectations for the expansion's size, not to signal that the game is in its final stages my dude. If anything the changes are being made to form a strategy for Destiny 2 to be around for years.
Let me put it this way. I expect destiny 3 in 2 years. Shadowkeep is the big update for 2019. And I'm assuming there will be a "main" fall update for the game in 2020. And then the 3rd game will launch in 2021.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This might clear some stuff up
i mean, i dont expect it this year (or next really) but theyve already stated D2 is basically on EOL status so it probably wont be that long. probably a year after launch like D1
i somehow doubt they will even come out with D3 until there is enough people on all the consoles next gen. With no garuntee Sony would do crossplay it wouldn't be worth it to drop it until like 2022 probably at the earliest.

They only just now got control to do what they want and we are seeing that with the seasons and new light.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
"That's why we've added 100 ranks to earn each Season, with Free and Premium track rewards, plus a UX design that's intuitive and familiar if you play other games. Unlike those other games, you'll make progress by earning XP doing the things you're already doing in Destiny—defeating monsters and completing bounties and activities. This is about a new additive layer of predictable rewards for just playing the game."

good that i am not into this game anymore, 100ranks to grind, free and premium awards...yep, that sounds like standar F2P nonsense to me.

the "grind for the grinds sake" turned me off big time from this franchise and now they are doubling down on it. completely unappealing and just made to keep people in their hamster wheel.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Glad we've got the classic dphex 'negative opinion on the game they won't play' checked off, albeit a little late.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd normally be annoyed by a battle pass but it seems a lot better than the last three seasons were. Season of the forge felt like paying for basically nothing but a couple drops

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
If I can repeatedly earn enough currency through the 100 ranks to pay for the next battle pass, as with Fortnite, then I'm pretty sure I'll go for this.
Everyone gets the top track, the bottom "premium track" is for annual pass holders only.

BTM old for Y2 content (forge, drifter, opulence)

Last edited:

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
This is great for people who have stuck with this game through everything, but I still have yet to see anything that makes me want to come back. I quit after the first two DLCs and seeing that's all the content going free doesn't help since I'm still in for a $70 investment to get caught up.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is great for people who have stuck with this game through everything, but I still have yet to see anything that makes me want to come back. I quit after the first two DLCs and seeing that's all the content going free doesn't help since I'm still in for a $70 investment to get caught up.
If the critically acclaimed Forsaken didn't entice you I don't know what would at this stage, with regard you finding a hook with Destiny to get hyped on.

Currently it's $100 to get everything currently out for Destiny, Shadowkeep (the next major expansion) and all the content drops for the next year.