• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Live in Copenhagen and because of a gangwar thing that has been going on there has been something like 7 shootings happening within a mile of my front door in the last couple of years. But I still feel rather safe tbh. The issue has been that two of the gangs in question are on opposite sides of this area and kept meeting in the middle.

Have also had a vehicular manslaughter happen *right* outside my window, and saw a guy get stabbed in the middle of a nearby road. Apparently that fella was buying cigarettes while transporting several kilos of hash. Another customer in the store commented that he shouldn't be carrying around a giant kitchen knife, to which his response was dropping his stuff and chasing/stabbing the guy. The other guy survived, and he got tossed in jail.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I think overall safe, yet there was a shooting that killed a few people a couple blocks down a few years ago. Kinda par for the course of NA I guess. Safety is a bit relative, but it is known to be a really safe, walkable neighborhood.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Argentina, Buenos Aires, I live in a very central part of the city but it's kind of a lottery here, they've tried to rob me about 15-ish times, and once attempted to kidnap me, but I know folks that have never ever been in any of that

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm currently living in rural shithole town in California (Susanville).

It's a town that would be dead if it wasn't for the two state prisons propping it up. The town has a huge crime problem.

So can't wait until April when I can leave this dump.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Lived in Liverpool England, most my life. Mostly safe nowadays, but definitely been some bad times, mostly 10-ish years ago when gang violence spiked where I lived, few shootings, couple stabbings. But never been worried by the people who live here, at worst some dickhead driving round fast on a motorbike that's super loud.

Edit: Oh and it got Gentrified pretty hard.

Last edited:

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
rural Cologne (Germany) suburb for eleven years now. like zero crime. we had one burglary in our street in that timespan and the local ATM was broken open three times.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I live in a village in North West England. Nothing but old people here. One time my 94 year old gran (who was living by herself then) almost got robbed but I arrived as these drifters were there and ran. Think it's because it's known as a "rich" area so they chance it.

Me and my brother were also out on a walk with our family dog at the time (around 7 years ago now) and came across a guy who was with his dogs saying some naked young guy tried grabbing a girl and tried to rape her before we all turned up (girl stayed with us whilst we looked for this guy) and was looking for this guy we said we'd help, literally the next moment after we agreed to help, we all heard some guy run off (who was obviously still on the lookout). Police found the guy and he was convicted for attempted rape, he was only 20 years old too.

Aside from that in my ten years here it's just a standard English village, boring (and safe, for the most part).

Oct 28, 2017
There were more people shot and killed where I lived in West Philly than in any other neighborhood in the country last summer.

I also bought a house in the suburbs last year after 2 teens got shot on the corner of my block.

So homeless, crazy man shot a cop in the head and yelled "ISIS" on the corner of the block as well.

In spite of all that, there were still kids who graduated, got accepted to Ivy league schools.

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017
I live in East Flatbush, Brooklyn. Been here for about 6 years. In that time there's only been 3 shootings on my block, one of which was fatal.

That might sound bad, but it's no where near as bad as when I was growing up in Bedstuy, Brooklyn during the crack epidemic. Multiple shootings happened on my block resulting in fatalities. Some sort of gang fight happened in front of my house one night and when we went out to look the next morning, there was blood, teeth, and a chunk of someone's ear on the ground. My neighbor's house got sprayed with bullets because their son owed some drug dealer money. You didn't have to look hard to find used drug needles, crack vials, and bullet casings on the sidewalk while walking around the neighborhood. You had to have one of those removable tape decks for your car or it would get broken into.

Also, I was a latchkey kid and had to walk home by myself through much of this starting from the 4th grade. There were a ton of creepy burned out abandoned buildings on my way home. This one time when I wasn't old enough to walk home from school alone yet, my mom came and picked my brother and myself. Right across the street from the school, there was car parked with the passenger side door open and a white guy (with the exception of my mother, it was unheard of to see white people in this area back then) in a business suit was sitting in the driver's seat. As we walked past the car, he leaned over the passenger side seat holding out a Hersey's bar, asking my mom if I would like to have it. She just said no thank you and hurried along pulling my hand. I'm 100% sure that guy was some sort of child predator and it's always been in the back of my mind whether or not he managed to abduct some poor kid.

Despite all of that, thankfully none of my siblings ended up dead or in prison like so many of my childhood friends and classmates.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
West Edmonton. Very dangerous - just look at yesterday:

Y3u20t5.png

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
There is lots of drug addicts and drug crime in my city. Just recently my dad had a junkie break into his car and stole his wallet. Thankfully he did get it back. Murders are rare though and assaults uncommon.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Hella dodge by reputation. There's even been shootings here in the past couple of years. I've been victim to two break-ins and one attempted break-in in the time I've lived in the area. The last one was about 5 years ago. It doesn't seem to be that bad unless you hang around dodgy people. I think people from other suburbs would be scared of the most innocuous shit, though, and probably with a healthy dose of racism.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the suburbs in an upper-middle class area of Queens, NY. Nothing violent happens here. I'd have to go back like 5 years to think of someone breaking into someone's garage a few blocks over and like 7 years back when someone left their car running and some kids took it for a joyride.

I've mentioned it a few times, that I have cameras all over the outside of my home with notification alerts that go to everyone's phones. But they're more of a "to make sure people got home safe" measure, than a "make sure people are safe in the home" measure.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a while, in NE Ohio, I was living in a pretty bad area of town, in my childhood house. The neighborhood didn't start bad but white flight and a bad economy kinda changed things. I'd hear gun shots frequently, and police and ambulance sirens all the time. Right before I moved, a vacant apartment across the street was arsoned and the ashes reached to my house. I remember during high school, my neighbor's uncle, who I think was a drug dealer, blew off a shotgun on New Year's, several times. Scared the shit out of me, but probably back that I thought it was cool too, since I was a teenager. My city used to be a pretty big steel city, before my time, and has gradually went downhill since the 70's.

Thankfully, my family was able to afford to move to the suburbs back in 2011, and it's totally different out here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Ive been living in basically gentrified downtown Brooklyn for a couple of years? Irony is that even though its technically a nice neighborhood I feel less safe. The major public transportation hub is here and as a result there's always a bunch of random people walking around who are really destitute/mentally ill etc. It's a shame. Hell, this post reminded me; my fiance saw a dude try to shoot someone outside of our window :( But a five minute walk away?

patch.com

Park Slope Land Is Second Most Expensive In The Country: Report

Two portions of Park Slope made it onto a list of the top ten priciest one-acre plots of land in the country.

In contrast my old neighborhood two miles away had literal drug dealers hanging outside of my apartment and on the corner but they were also a part of the neighborhood..lived close by in the projects etc. As a result they were very respectful and would look out for their neighbors unlike what the television tries to sell you 1)cause obviously it was their home too 2)random fucked up crime would have the cops at their doorstep effectively killing how they make money.

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Not rough at all. It's Taiwan so it's safe at all hours pretty much everywhere in the city

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
SpotCrime's Allegheny County, Pennsylvania crime map shows 341 assaults, 12 shootings, 44 burglaries, 338 thefts, 40 robberies, 87 vandalism, and 528 arrests over a one month period. The previous month crime map in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania showed 350 assaults, 22 shootings, 47 burglaries, 310 thefts, 43 robberies, 92 vandalism, and 528 arrests.

According to the reports SpotCrime receives from local police agencies, crime overall in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania is currently down by 0% when compared to the previous month.
Dunno if accurate, but...

tenor.gif

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
North Jersey town 30 mins far from Manhattan. The most peaceful place I've ever seen. Never heard a problem the last 6 years I've been here. Except for the neighbor town Paterson, oh boy that place depresses the fuck out of me. Thankfully I rarely get to drive around there.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Montreal here. My Area used to be more dangerous before i moved in. But ever since a couple years back the government has been trying to clean up all the drug addicts and homeless on the streets and now its a much more affluent neighborhood with an occasional crack head still walking around. Its a very nice neighborhood, and it makes it hard to believe that this place used to have a huge drug problem. It still has the stigma from what it used to be, which is why rent is so cheap. I dont care though, cuz its super close to downtown and I love it here, dont see myself moving anytime soon.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Pretty rural section of Arkansas. Nothing much happens here. No violent crime to speak of, not much theft. I wouldn't hesitate to leave my car unlocked or house doors unlocked. Drugs are a bigger issue then violent crime or theft, although I suppose one will eventually nlead to the others.

Nov 17, 2017
Someone got shot up a few yards from my front door as I was getting home from work. There was also a driveby shooting about 6 blocks from me. My city has a lot of gun crime unfortunately, drug deals/addicts and you even have to watch out for packs of teens looking to hurt people.

You definitely have to learn what areas to avoid and what times to not be in certain places plus general street smarts and special awareness to protect yourself.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Very safe. I ordered a TV once and the delivery people just fucking left it at my door when I wasn't home. I came home to a huge tv box just leaning on my door, and no one had touched it.

I took it as proof that I lived in a good neighborhood, though I didn't exactly want to test it that way.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Old area within Houston turned into a hotbed of nightmares in the last couple of years.

There was at one point a car accident that occurred front of my old house - while the two cars/people were waiting for the police to come or w/e - the guy in the back called a buddy and he came and took...........no joke a literally assault rifle, one you would see in video games or during war....dude must have been at least in early 20s if that....

Ever since I saw that, I knew it was time to move. (This was like few years ago).

Thankfully I dont live anywhere near there anymore.

Current place is outside of Houston and its safer than the last place but honestly its good to be aware of your surroundings regardless of where you are cause you never know what will happen and when.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Old area within Houston turned into a ghetto in the last couple of years.

There was at one point a car accident that occurred front of my old house - while the two cars/people were waiting for the police to come or w/e - the guy in the back called a buddy and he came and took...........no joke a literally assault rifle, one you would see in video games or during war....dude must have been at least in early 20s if that....

Ever since I saw that, I knew it was time to move. (This was like few years ago).

Thankfully I dont live anywhere near there anymore.

Current place is outside of Houston and its safer than the last place but honestly its good to be aware of your surroundings regardless of where you are cause you never know what will happen and when.

And how did it turn into a 'ghetto'??

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
And how did it turn into a 'ghetto'??

My bad , edited my post - I used the wrong word (had to google it , didnt realize the word refers to minorities - I mean there's always been minorities living in the area even before the place got bad and I'm in a minority group too) but it turned into a hotbed full of gang activities, shootings, break ins, which became a almost daily thing - place had a complete change with all the big stores replaced by shady third party stores that had bars on it....just wasnt safe.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Two stations away from Osaka Station in Osaka, Japan. Never ever felt in any degree of danger.
The worst I've ever had after 14-ish years is someone cutting through the saddle (seat) of my bicycle. It sucked because while I can still use it like always, during rainy days water gets inside the and through the foam, so even after the top dries there might still be water inside. I need to get a new one...

I'm from Madrid though, and back some 15 years ago it felt more dangerous than now (now every time I've been there it's been super safe). I remember I got mugged once and my GBA got stolen, but both times it was problematic students from a school nearby that closed a while ago. And even then, at the times it didn't feel dangerous, just two events that happened quite unexpectedly.

Last edited:

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a upper middle class suburb. The only "crimes" are stupid high school kids doing stupid high school things, like what I did when I was in high school.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
I live in the middle of north Chicago. My neighborhood is literally called North Center. It's the city, so things can happen (my place got broken into about 7 years ago), but I generally feel very safe walking around at night.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Two stations away from Osaka Station in Osaka, Japan. Never ever felt in any degree of danger.
The worst I've ever had after 14-ish years is someone cutting through the saddle (seat) of my bicycle. It sucked because while I can still use it like always, during rainy days water gets inside the and through the foam, so even after the top dries there might still be water inside. I need to get a new one...

I was like, "hey, that's near where I live" and then I realized who you are, lol. *waves*

Yeah, in Japan you have to go out of your way to look for unsafe areas, and even then it's nothing compared to shady neighborhoods in the US or Europe.
The worst thing that can happen here is some old drunk dudes trying to strike up a conversation with you because you're foreign.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I live in a shady part of town the past 5 years, I could move but it's really close to the water and the beaches. Don't want to give that up. I don't fuck with the dealers and the gang members and they don't fuck with me.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I was like, "hey, that's near where I live" and then I realized who you are, lol. *waves*

Yeah, in Japan you have to go out of your way to look for unsafe areas, and even then it's nothing compared to shady neighborhoods in the US or Europe.
The worst thing that can happen here is some old drunk dudes trying to strike up a conversation with you because you're foreign.
Oh, hey! :D
Yep, that somewhat annoying drunk people trying to talk to you is one of the worst things that might happen is quite telling :P

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, crime stats are publicly available for my area so I can tell you.

Per 100,000 people in a 12 month period:

Assaults: 515
Homicide: 0
Robbery: 11.4
Sexual Assault: 74.8
Theft: 1628.5

Can even tell you that the rate of sexual offences committed by women is 2.8 and 44.7 by men.