• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
So seeing that thread about cars and reading that some people leaving their cars unlocked to deter potential thieves from breaking the windows has got me thinking about this, ERA is a large community we have users from just about every country/major city in the world.

So what I want to know is, how rough is the area you live in, is it rural or a big city? How safe is the area, do you feel comfortable walking around alone at nigh, are law enforcement frequently around due to trouble?

I live in a fairly unremarkable fishing town, it's mostly okay, but with a few trouble spots on a rough estate and there is at least one bar where you do not leave drinks unattended at any time which has a reputation for people getting spiked and drug use, there was a stabbing incident round there last year which was sounded pretty crazy.

Rumour has it that just a few streets over from where I lived someone got murdered in a house over 20 years ago and I often see police in that area visiting one family in particular. Heard chatter about various things but I try to keep to myself, so far I have lived here for five years and fingers crossed no trouble has befallen my family.

Over to you now, ERA, I fully expect big city ERA to come in here and we're going to hear some wild stories. I want to hear about it all.

Last edited:

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I live in the suburbs of Chicago (technically a mile from Chicago proper) and it's a pretty nice area. I live close to bad neighborhoods (within 20 minutes), but I'm rarely there unless I'm on a Chicago Housing Authority project. Even then, it's basically only gang on gang violence, so I'm not too worried about working there.

Oct 27, 2017
I live in an apartment. In my complex my car is very safe. I don't worry about any crime, really.
Out on the street in front, I would never park my car there. I go walking all the time and I can't tell you the amount of mindless vandalism that occurs at night. I just went walking a few days ago and saw where someone bashed in three cars windshields in a row for no reason. Also really stupid, shitty graffiti on people's fences.

Last edited:

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about a mile out of a rough city but it's not an issue cause you would have to walk/bike on an interstate to get to where my complex is. I got my car broken into at a concert a few weeks ago and had zero issues just having a trash bag on my car for a few days while I waited to get it fixed

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a city about 20 minutes outside of Denver. It was just recently voted the safest city in Colorado with a population over 50,000. But there are some people who think I live in the "hood" part because of couple of cars get broken into every once in a blue moon.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Unremarkable ex-fishing town in the north east of England for me. Live down a nice street but there's rough areas a stone's throw away. I would never, ever leave anything unlocked as crime rates are pretty high and you never see coppers walking around.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan. I feel safe even though there are killings every now and then. I just see murder being either super random or personal. There's been about 7 killings near me in a decade, I never switch up my habits even then.

Last edited:

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Currently living close to Rochester. Some crazy people more into the city, but it's pretty average where I am.

Grew up in an extremely rural area tho

Feb 10, 2018
It's low, there is some burglary, anti social behaviour but it's low, there has been recent issues with drug dealers coming in from bigger cities but the crime rate is still low touch wood.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Basic suburbs, not much obvious crime. One time I left my car unlocked and somebody stole my copy of Battlefront out of it but that's it.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'm in an odd spot in my part of Northern Virginia. Two blocks away from me all of the real estate is 50% more expensive than it is where I live, rentals or not. But then another two blocks in another direction is a majority-Hispanic neighborhood that's fairly low-rent by local standards. There's a huge diversity of incomes in a 20 minute walk from me. I can see far from my high rise, though, and don't see cop cars in the poorer neighborhood very often. Worst I've seen is one night when I was walking to 7-11 and some guy was trying to hawk what looked like stolen jewelry (couldn't quite tell since he was speaking Spanish).

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in an incredibly middle class village adjacent (effectively within the boundary) to a big UK town <1hr outside London. Feel very safe out at night.

There's only a couple of pockets in the whole town I'd be a bit concerned about being in after dark tbh.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Small town in rural Germany. Sometimes it's too dry because of a lack of rain.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Myrtle Beach is pretty garbo, but there are a lot of pigs around to maintain it. Where I work is a particularly bad area full of homeless and junkies. A strip club near me just got busted for being a prostitution ring after just having a shooting a month ago. A lot of those around here.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
houston in the loop. can get scary quick even in the affluent areas, i guess due to lack of zoning.

if i don't get my workout/errands done before noon i don't bother at all.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
I live kind of close to downtown Oslo and it's generally a quiet area. At the same time there's been a few shootings around here in recent months, and stuff like break ins and burglaries is always possible. There's an odd junkie around here and there but they're mostly harmless. Personally I feel safe.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Seine-Saint-Denis, a.k.a "le 93" (North-western suburb of Paris).

Not a great place to live honestly, but I was raised there so I'm used to it now.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How rough is it? Lets just say the mcdonalds has a bowl of nails on their breakfast menu.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I live pretty north up in Chicago near the top end of the city. My neighborhood is right south of a college campus so it's kind of mid-level? There's some rough patches but I also live about a block from a massive middle school. 99% of the time it's a really nice neighborhood but every so often (we're talking like 3 times since I moved to this part of town in 2016) some of the gang activity flares up for a brief second.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Laveen / South Phoenix AZ.

There is probably 3 or 4 videos a day posted on Ring that shows people walking up to vehicles and checking doors. Lots of stolen packages videos. Gunshots and the ghetto bird a couple nights a week.

I also had a group of guys walk right up to my front door and attempt to open it after a few doorbell rings. They assumed no one was home and made their move. I was able to yell at them through the door and they took off.

I know crime is everywhere to some degree, but I'll definitely be moving from this area when I'm ready to buy a home.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Suburb of Phoenix Arizona. Not rough at all. Based on nextdoor app I guess we get the occasional thieves checking for unlocked cars and freeway off ramp panhandlers trying to steal bikes

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I live in a nice area in Fairfax county in a gated apartment complex. Minimal crime although someone did jump the fence and steal a bunch of airbags from some cars.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Suburb of SLC. I'm out of the way, by a mountain, though. There's very little crime out here... it's really nice. I couldn't imagine having to stress about people breaking into my truck every night. I also have a garage, so someone would have to make a lot of noise breaking into my house or garage door to get anywhere.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I live in a well-off retirement area and it's suburbia, so it's pretty safe.

I don't think I've seen any senior gangs shuffling around. Biggest thing you have to worry about here is Granny running you off the road in her Buick.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Live in an apartment in one of the newer areas of saskatoon, saskatchewan Canada.

The city actually has one of the highest crime per capita rates in Canada but compared to larger US cities it's nothing. I feel comfortable walking alone at night almost everywhere and have even spent 2 hours walking home from a bar late at night by myself rather than pay for a taxi.

That said there are definitely areas of the city you should avoid and I imagine o wouldn't feel nearly as safe as a woman. Oddly enough my apartment building has had a couple incidents in the 10 months I've lived here. We had a sexual assault occur back in the summer when someone broke into a womans apartment on the floor below me and we also had a major drug bust happen on that same floor a couple months ago. Maybe something is up with that floor in particular.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Small city, very low crime in Utah. As recently as 20-25 years ago, a lot of the places nearby were just farmland and there's still farms(Got more developed starting in mid to late 2000s).

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Car break in is common even in some of the nicer area. The criminals aren't only targeting rough area

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live in some little out in the middle of country roads village from the past. It's literally 3 roads and even has a red telephone box. Can't imagine any crime happening here.

Where I used to live? Well this happened a literal 4 minute walk from where I lived.

www.bbc.co.uk

Harold Hill stabbing: Jodie Chesney, 17, dies in park attack

Jodie Chesney's grandmother said in a Facebook appeal the stabbing had been an "unprovoked attack".

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I live right next to a town center so while we hear a lot of drunks going past the house, anyone trying to break in would be extremely visible. Plus a cop car goes past my house like every 10 minutes.

Someone got shot dead like 2 years ago, someone got raped a few months ago, but there isn't a lot of violent crime generally.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I'd feel okay walking around alone at 3 AM, but I wouldn't leave a backpack in my car because someone would likely smash the window to get it. Even those are pretty rare for locals, most of them happen in a nearby park because tourists leave lots of stuff in their cars.

Most other reported crimes are things like domestic violence, shoplifting, vandalism (tagging), etc. There's rarely the kind of stuff that'd make you feel unsafe walking down the street.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I live in a small suburb with fewer than 100 homes and a very weak, almost non-existent HOA. Since these aren't particularly expensive, fancy homes they tend to attract a lot of working class goobers who don't like HOAs and especially don't like investing time or money into things that aren't their trucks, mud buggies, and weekly crawfish boils.

So a lot of the yards are weed-infested and/or dead, most of the homes haven't been painted or at least rinsed off since they were built, fences are rotting and falling apart, and there's trash everywhere.

I grew up in a dilapidated trailer park so I take a tremendous amount of pride in my home and property, and it really chaps my ass to see a bunch of able-bodied dickheads who clearly have money neglect theirs.

Vyrance

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I live in Fort Pierce, FL and it's considered 1 of the 100 most dangerous cities in America, but never had a problem. Really cheap too

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I live in a smaller city plagued with the 'new' sensation that is meth. It's becoming a place where most people are so obsessed with drugs and collecting childcare they don't seem to care about keeping a job or being a good human being.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
I've always lived 20 mins away from Camden NJ. The neighborhood I spent my first ten years was rough. Crack pipes, needles, and some ill tempered children. I got beat up and my friend got a fist sized rock thrown at his head.
Moved in 94' to a fairy rural area 15 mins away and not goddamed thing happened. Aside from my uncle...yea my uncle brought the cops one night.
Been living in my current residence for ten years (again, 20 mins away from Camden), and no incidents to speak of.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm in the middle of nowhere. The worst we have to worry about is all the pillheads and methheads. Opioids and meth have basically destroyed the area. You really have to keep an eye out on your home and possessions. They won't think twice about robbing you blind so they can get their drugs. My parents own a small business and a few months ago, an employee broke into the building where we keep everything and stole thousands of dollars worth of tools. The police arrested him and he admitted the traded them to his dealer for drugs.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I live on the northern boundary of the City of Chicago and its pretty chill up here. Some rough spots in Rogers Park from time to time, but nothing too bad. The Red Line is awful, but it is what it is. I usually opt for Metra if I'm coming home from downtown late at night.

I spend a lot of time at work in Englewood and Garfield Park, and I have seen much more than I'd like. I don't enjoy those days, but I try to not be too prejudiced with my attitude when I enter those places. There are tons of very nice people in those neighborhoods, and I've never personally been targeted. Just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Family oriented neighborhood near downtown seattle- almost no violent crime but absolutely absurd levels of car prowling and package theft and burglary.

wife continues to get her car broken into because she absolutely cannot get it through her head that yes a heroin addict will absolutely smash your car window for a dime and two pennies, or to see what's in an empty grocery bag or because she keeps leaving stuff in there that she regards as useless and therefore invisible to scumbags and addicts.

Our car prowlers also insist on using cars to shelter from rain and smoke a few cigarettes.

the former I have some modicum of empathy for but the latter drives me insane. I sleep very lightly so I've chased a few of them over the years.

as an immigrant though I still think of America as safe relative to rough parts of my own country- but the complete saturation of the country by guns makes the outcomes of the lesser amounts of physical assault much more catastrophic.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I live in a upper middle class neighborhood so I feel pretty safe. Though where i go to meet for work is really sketchy at. I drive all over the city and there is tons of sketchy places I visit for work.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Gangnam District of Seoul. It's about as safe as you'll ever be in a massive city sans Coronavirus.