• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So, I'm working on a project that has me tasked to pull personal emails online for certain organizations by checking LinkedIn and googling a person's name plus the word "email" itself after it.

But how effective is this with privacy settings being what they are in 2020?

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Who is asking you to do this project, sounds pretty suspect unless I'm misunderstanding your explanation.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Who is asking you to do this project, sounds pretty suspect unless I'm misunderstanding your explanation.

So I'm trying to gather not for profit organizations to send out the message of the org I work for. But Googling someone's name plus "email" seems useless, and besides calling and asking, I can't think of any other way.

Deleted member 2550

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would you even verify it's them even if google returned results with their name and an email?

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whatever enterprise you're in, I'd imagine was competent enough to subscribe to a listing service rather than letting people loose with google-fu.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
So I'm trying to gather not for profit organizations to send out the message of the org I work for. But Googling someone's name plus "email" seems useless, and besides calling and asking, I can't think of any other way.

Ah ok, so you're trying to get individual email addresses of people who work for specific organisations?

Honestly I'd say you're better off calling the company explaining and asking if they have an address that would deal with these sort of enquiries.

If my company receives unsolicited emails attempting to offer us a service etc. they are usually ignored, best case scenario we reply back and tell you who to direct the query to worst case we complain to the ISP/ESP that your email originated from for spam.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's probably a reason why people are not posting their private email address online, dunno.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to search for peoples' email online automatically probably hasn't worked since 1998.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So instead of calling and asking for information...you decide to go about it in a really inefficient way? Cool.

edit: I am sorry, meant to type; COOL.

Oct 27, 2017
Is that illegal? I would assume that this is how the many personalized solicitation emails I get at work are discovered & sent. Not that hard to do name + company domain.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you're asking how effective it is when you could literally try it out for yourself and see if you get a bounce back

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ah ok, so you're trying to get individual email addresses of people who work for specific organisations?

Honestly I'd say you're better off calling the company explaining and asking if they have an address that would deal with these sort of enquiries.

If my company receives unsolicited emails attempting to offer us a service etc. they are usually ignored, best case scenario we reply back and tell you who to direct the query to worst case we complain to the ISP/ESP that your email originated from for spam.

yeah thanks i'll try this out!

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There's a reason why lead generation is so tricky and expensive, emails are not up for grabs.

Also, it's asking for trouble, gathering then sending emails against the users' content is against GDPR.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depending on your region and industry there are official services you buy targeted email lists for e.g. in Australia it's ADMA based marketing companies. You specify demographics, regions, roles etc and pay cents/fractions of a cent per email based on those metrics. Australia has a decent opt in system with strict privacy laws adhered to as well, perhaps your country/target market is similar. You'll need to find an association that deals in this then approach one of their partner/membership companies to do this professionally for you. Saves liability and time as well as hit rate etc.

Otherwise jump on the phone and make your own lists, just get approval and the right contact person first.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I can tell you that if you ever publish an academic paper with your email address on it, you will get random Chinese students spamming you with requests for post-doc jobs until the end of time.