• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Fell out of modern Western AAA last gen (PS4/XBO now, huh) though I still keep up with it because they make it impossible not to lol. Really play mostly Japanese games now, both old and new, and old Western AAA.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I like GTA, RDR and Assassin's Creed. Which means I like third person games with a story.

I don't play multiplayer shooters and despise COD.

So I guess I'm 50/50?

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I got rdr2 because I have a decent computer now and I want to know how it plays. Outside of that, I only get free stuff.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just played the single player of GTAV and RDR2. The rest are not my kind, I don't have any of these games.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
About as unplugged as can be. There are some western AAA titles I love (Horizon was probably my GOTY in 2018), but I bounce off all of the titles you listed. I mostly play retro titles these days.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I want Bethesda's Starfield and CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077 to be good just because I want more space-themed and cyberpunk games, but I largely dropped AAA games in general a decade ago.

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely play Western AAA games aside of the DOOM games and I will be playing Spider-Man when I get a PS5. That's pretty much it, most of the stuff I play are Japanese games and indie stuff.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like these games are amongst the most popular in the last 5 years or so. I personally couldn't get into these games/series. I'm not against Western games. I love Bethesda's output and play tons of western games in indie space. I also adore Sony's western studios, with ND being my fav there. And Spelunky 2 and Hades are my current obsessions.

But it does feel like I'm missing a big part of the gaming zeitgeist not caring about these series.

What about you?
I can speak for Destiny 2 that I simply adore. Give it a chance, now is a good time to drop in. Also I grew up playing japanese games that still love and play.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I never completed a single one of the games in the thread's title... in fact from those I only played GTA 1 and 2 (so really not the AAA ones) and about 2 hours of AC Black Flag. So I don't think much.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
CoD: Is good sometimes to run through the single-player, but I only do it every 3-4 years or so. Last one I played was WW2. Little interest in playing any others. I think I have to be in the mood for it. I'm one of those people who mostly cares about the campaign, and the other stuff is nice but it doesn't keep me playing for long, if I even touch it to begin with.

Destiny: I liked the first one, but the second lost me entirely. The first had this *vibe* to it that I feel the sequel lacks, but I truthfully haven't tried it since launch. Perhaps when the PS5 version hits, I'll give it another go.

GTA/RDR: I love these, buy them at release, and devour them over the next week or two. Every time. Don't see this changing much for me. I see the complaints people have, but there's just something about these games that always wins me over. The stories are fun to play through, and in terms of detailed open worlds, Rockstar is one of the best. I'm always down to see what they have to offer.

AssCreed: I really tried with this series, loving the first two, but after that it lost me entirely. Every once in a while I try one out and it seems decent, but I feel like I've missed so much that it cuts into my enjoyment a little bit. Perhaps I need to remedy this by sitting down and just making myself get through one, and then see how I feel about the series after that.

Fortnite: I didn't like this to begin with, but my girlfriend insists that I play it with her every so often, and it's really grown on me. It's a very fun game. The way they've turned the game into a weird experimental platform is something I dig quite a bit. Had a lot of fun during the Travis Scott events in particular. Personally, though, I don't care to build whatsoever, and spend most of my time focusing on gunplay.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
My pulse is in the immersive sims. Dishonored, Prey, and Deus Ex which I'm still mourning I'm always excited for. Assassin's Creed I keep track of but I do a lot of review research before I buy one. Used to really love the Sony AAAs but I didn't vibe with them as much this gen.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Not very. In the past 3 years, I've mostly just played competitive multiplayer games. Mostly Overwatch, but also some CSGO and now Valorant. Those 3 games make up probably 85% of my gaming time over the past several years. Its also a reason I don't give a shit about the new consoles.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
AAA Western games definitely aren't my jam. There are a few exceptions, like Uncharted and Spider-Man, but that's really it. The way the characters look and animate, and the stories/worlds that they're set in usually don't click with me.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I've ever considered Fortnite an AAA game, is that the consensus? Always seemed like a very lucky A game that made it big.

I have played most of the Assassin's creed games, the rest don't really interest me.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I've played all of these series before at some point but most of them I checked them out for a few hours and decided I didn't like any of them.
I did like some of the older Assassin's Creed games tried to play Odyssey but found it boring after 10ish hours

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Of those games you've mentioned I played Destiny quite a bit but stopped years ago. Still need to finish RDR2. Don't play COD, GTA, Fortnite, AC.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Used to play some Destiny 1. Consistently tempted by Assassin's Creed (love the historical settings) but have only ever finished the very first one. I think I own like 8 of them through PS+/GwG.

I own RDR2 and would like to play it sometime but haven't.

Never play GTA, Fortnite, or COD (since 4).

SmittyWerbenManJensen

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Barely.

I find most western big budget games to be dreadfully boring and not worth my time, mainly due to the poor gameplay. Destiny 2 was fun with some friends for a while, but I really hate Ubisoft open world games and most Rockstar stuff (I played and finished RDR2 but only for the story; I do not like GTA).

I would much rather play a good indie, Nintendo exclusive, FromSoft game, or AA game that is actually fun and has good gameplay.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say about half and half, i guess. I keep tabs on them of course, and I'm a big fan of Fallout, for example. I really like the CoD campaigns usually, and I've been slowly getting into Assassin's Creed. On the other hand I don't really like how a lot of western AAA tends to mean multiplayer, so stuff like Destiny and Fortnite don't do anything for me.

Western AAA games used to make a large part of what I played, but I've definitely drifted towards Japanese games over the last few years. It's that drift especially that's made me stay with Playstation instead of switching over to Xbox this gen. Something like Persona 5 Royal for example, I'd definitely make time for.

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played a COD game since Advanced Warfare. I tried a demo of Destiny and hated it. I haven't played an Assassins Creed game since 3/Liberation. I tried Fortnite once and hated it.

GTA I always get day 1 and love it's pretty much guaranteed to be my GOTY when it releases. Couldn't stand the multiplayer in V though. RDR2 was amazing. Basically Rockstar AAA I still love. Most of everything else I just don't care anymore. There's the occasional exception of course.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I've ever considered Fortnite an AAA game, is that the consensus? Always seemed like a very lucky A game that made it big.

I have played most of the Assassin's creed games, the rest don't really interest me.
The amount of money they invest in it--cross promotion with Disney and such. Absolutely. Heck, they went to court for it lol. That's not cheap either.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
My Western AAA interests are more "PC-focused" with games like Dishonored, Prey, Deus Ex, Half-Life, Civilization, XCOM etc.
"Console-style" Western AAA games are too focused on "cinematic experiences" which I have little interest in - for the most part, or GAAS grinds.
I do play a lot of smaller/indie Western games though.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'll hateplay GTA/RDR when they come out, but couldn't care less about the rest.

It's pretty much all exclusives and indies for me. Maybe a Capcom or Squeenix game from time to time.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I haven't played a COD title since Black Ops 2, an Assassins Creed since Black Flag, GTA since Vice City, never played Fortnite, didn't bother with RDR2. I'm mostly Nintendo, indies, and Sony first party nowadays with some retro thrown in.

patroclus

Oct 17, 2020
Washington
Occasionally ill branch out to play these, but only when there's something that stands out to me. Like for example, AC odyssey i played because i liked the setting (and i received it for free from testing google stadia) otherwise i wouldn't have played it and i played destiny 2 for a few months after they released it for free. Is there a theme here, that i only play them when i can get them as cheap as possible?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I used to play CoD when it reliably had cooperative campaign modes, and then I play AAA western RPGS (Bethesda, Bioware a few years ago, CD Project), but other than that, extremely rarely.

I did dip my toes into Division 2 because a friend was playing it, but I haven't kept up with it once he stopped.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Used to play all of those, completely abandoned cod after 6 and abandoned assassin creed after odyssey. Didn't like destiny and stopped playing fortnite after a few months.
I'll still buy gta6 day one though, if it's ever getting made.
I still like Sony's western studios such as sucker punch, guerrilla, insomniac and Santa Monica though. Naughty dog is also improving in term of gameplay, maybe I'll enjoy their next game more.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
COD - Fuck em.
Destiny - I enjoy PVE. PVP not so much. Talk to me again when the 120 mode comes.
GTA/RDR - Played the campaigns and bailed
AssCreed - I enjoy the games but I'm not in a rush to buy them day 1
Fortnite - I play Rumble every so often. Did like 2 Battlepasses but not sure if I'll get back in that much anymore.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
AAA 3rd party output has been getting worse for the last few years. I can't think of a AAA game not 1st party that gave me anything like as much pleasure as a 1st party title.

The situation is pretty bad right now, so much so the majority of my PS4 collection is 1st party.

So nah, not missing out on anything overall.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't considered any CoD game of recent years to be anything close to goty material. They're still decent fun, but they're sale titles for me now. This series just screams "disposable" to me.

RDR2 was great and an honest must play. I can't stand GTA 5 and its online, but the campaign is decent. Just not my favorite in the series.

Destiny 2 is awesome when Bungie isn't screwing shit up.

Loved AC:O, it was the only Assassins Creed game I've played.

Don't like most battle royales unless it's called Apex.

What games do you actually play OP? I just play whatever interests me, and I typically play a wide net of genres. I am currently playing P5R, Demon's Souls, AC: Valhalla and Crash 4, played AI: The Somnium Files and Danganronpa 1 and 2 earlier in the year, and other big hit titles like DOOM Eternal, TLOUII, and Ghost of Tsushima. Considering doing an Indie month on Switch and checking out Trails in the future. I don't like limiting myself to one specific "net" when gaming. I look at all titles under the same lens and I find myself enjoying games much more playing games in my comfort zone and branching out occasionally.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Zero interest in any of the series cited aside AssCreed, which i'm a big fan of the ship focused games. Never tried Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla, don't really care that much but i would try them in a game pass or similar stuff.

But if Valve releases a new Half Life, Left 4 Dead or Portal, i would be hyped af.

A new Deus Ex would also make me really happy, if that counts.

I still play LoL once in a fullmoon. Always feel like i'm wasting my time tho.

Aside that, i'm full on indie/japanese stuff.

Last edited:

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like these games are amongst the most popular in the last 5 years or so. I personally couldn't get into these games/series.
(...)
What about you?
Sameish. I've dipped my toes into all of those franchises (except Fortnite) to see what they were about, but never became a series fan. At most, I've enjoyed a handful of the single-player campaigns (Destiny 1 & 2, AC:BF, COD:MW1/2,BlOps) enough that I've finished them. Bounced off another handful, and have a few in my backlog waiting (I'll get to you one day, GTA V).