• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I like to play the new GTA when they are new but that's about it. So that being said I haven't played it in quite a while lol.

I have very little stomach for open world and shooters so that keeps me pretty far from the rest.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a CoD in my life.
Haven't played a GTA since GTA 2 and no real drive to play one.
I did play RDR and enjoyed it for a while.

I played a good bit of Destiny 1, tried Destiny 2 but haven't really dived into it.
Assassins Creed has made a comeback for me with Origins and Odyssey, mildly enjoying the series again but usually not enough to complete the game, I do like playing around with the games for a while tho.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
I primarily play sports games. So very. And open world games have been my jam since Driver 1.

But I also play most everything regardless of genre from indies to AAA stuff.

That being said I don't play much mutliplayer stuff. Especially PC stuff like the MOBA/BRs. So there's definitely a whole side of 'mainstream gaming culture' that I'm not at all privy to.

I mean amongst the Gen Alphas, Roblox is their jam. But how much have us here know anything about it?

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
- I dropped Cod after BO3.
- Don't care about Fortnite.
- Don't like GTA.
- No interest in RDR.
- AC Odyssey was the last straw in the boring Ubisoft world and the DLC disgusted me.
- Destiny 1 and 2 I enjoyed with friends but only for the co-op. They were otherwise boring and repetitive.

So of the games listed really not plugged in at all! That's not to say I don't like Western games, I very much do but I just find a lot of the bigger budget games soulless.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
RDR2 was my GOTY that year so I guess pretty 'plugged in'. I love anything Rockstar does. Assassin's Creed is always great every year too, and I dabble in COD and Destiny every now and then. My favorite games are mostly Western (Sony first party, Halo, etc).

Couldn't care less about Fortnite though.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
codmw is the first cod i bought and played, fun occasionally

ac origins was the first and last so far ac game i actually sat through and played the full game. gonna wait for them to do a cool setting likw egypt was for me to hop in

played d1/d2 but never got deep into them lol
lack of friends most likely

i played rdr1 when 2 launched and had a great time with it
don't really feel like playing 2 yet

never played fortnite

and gta5 i haven't really played since launch but for some reason i kept buying it😭

so kind of plugged in but i'm not buying these games yearly.
esp games like ac lol, would burn out if i did

Aug 10, 2019
Of that list, only Red Dead. Otherwise I'll play some Indies, some Sony first party, and the occasional western AAA if it piques my interest.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I like Assassin's Creed quite a bit. Its story basically fulfills the same psuedoscience silliness Metal Gear and Zero Escape often tapped into, and I find them genuinely fun to play.

I kinda despise GTA on a fundamental level. I liked RDR1 a lot, RDR2 just kinda bored me though and its mission structures feel extremely restrictive to me nowadays.

Most all of Sony's first parties don't do much for me - the only one in recent years I found compelling enough to finish was Spider-Man. Ghosts of Tsushima seemed good but I bounced off it and I'm not entirely sure why (part of it I think was the dissonance of all the characters saying it was dishonorable to be sneaky and then the game giving me way more incentives to be sneaky)

FPS games rarely ever do anything for me and I think I'd have liked Fortnite more if it didn't have the construction stuff.

So yeah I guess at this point Assassin's Creed is like, the only big one.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game for me.

I'm very into whatever Rockstar's next release is. That's the publisher/developer that I pay utmost attention to. I really don't care about CoD, Assassins Creed, or most of the other AAA games. I usually play the Naughty Dog games, I play the major Sony 1st party games (God of War, etc), I usually play Halo or Gears when they come out, but I'm not into those games at all.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I like Rockstar's games but they're not a big priority, I still haven't played RDR2.

I enjoyed the early Assassin's Creed games but they've been getting increasingly bloated with every release and moving further away from their original gameplay. I've nothing against long games but I have no interest in Odyssey or Valhalla, Origins was more than enough of that style.

I haven't tried CoD, Destiny or Fortnite and I don't want to.

Oct 28, 2017
Of the mentioned, not many.

I'm more of a single-player gamer.

AC > I genuinely enjoyed the games from 1+side games+3. AC4 was ... good? Just about the right pace. I played AC Origins and just strongly disliked it. Story, bloat, etc.
COD > Got out of it after college. Not my style of game anymore (no knock).
Destiny > Played the 2nd game for free. Got about 3 hours in with a friend and clocked out. It felt too free to play to me, just not my vibe.
GTA/RDR > GTA 3-SA are among my favourite games. GTA4 was a stepback. GTA5 was great but the story left a lot to be desired. Haven't touched it since I beat it. Next GTA will be fun but they haven't had a great track record to me since GTA SA. RDR1 was one of my favourite games of all time. RDR2 is in my backlog and I'm likely playing it this winter.
Fortnite > No hate, hope everyone enjoys it. Just not my type of game.

For my needs I'm a story focused gamer. Yakuza 0 was a revelation for me. Make me care about the character you got me. I don't know why I identify more with Japanese titles in that way (FF7, KH, Metal Gear Solid). If your story isn't good or I don't care about the character, the game wears out it's welcome very fast. Maybe I can do a 9-12 hour campaign like Doom/Halo and get my fill. But that's my sweet spot for those games where story is a passing thought.

Either way, gaming is in a great space and you can find a high quality game to suit your wants/desires.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I enjoy Assassins Creed games for good solid brainless fun, and I loved the campaigns in all of the GTA and RDR games. I don't have enough time to get good at most online shooters so I pretty much started ignoring COD when the campaigns became shit or lost co-op modes. I have tried both Destiny 1&2 but I hate feeling like I am forced to get on a lot and grind. I want to game in my own time, and not feel beholden. Fortnite has never interested me much, though I've played a couple of hours and watched a little bit of streamers.....

So in general then, if it has a decent single player campaign I'll probably play it, but if online is forced than forget it.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
I rarely grab AAA games anymore. Pretty much the only AAA games I've been playing is Monster Hunter with friends and From Software releases. There are exceptions, but they are far and few in between. My favorite genre, RPGs, usually don't have much presence in that space anymore. And some of the ones that do haven't really appealed to me. With that said, I really enjoyed FFVIIR and am looking forward to FFXVI. Though I bounced on XV.

Most of what I play nowadays is in the indie/small dev space.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Not really into Call of Duty anymore, but I still buy every GTA, RDR, and every other Assassin's Creed game.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
GTA is the only one in that header I play. By and large I prefer Japanese games.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I've played the first 4 Ass Creed games, CoD 2 through 4, and I've tried to play multiple GTA games and hated them all.

I pretty much completely dislike most of these games now besides Ass Creed. I've decided to jump back in with Valhalla. Hope there isn't a bunch of stuff I have to learn about the lore.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Play Warzone with friends. Don't care for COD multiplayer. Played GTAV, enjoyed my time with it, never got into online. Played RDR2 for 120 hours or so and loved my time with it. Never go into online. Might play it again on PC. Tried Fortnite a few years ago and didn't enjoy it. Never owned an AssCreed game.

Right now I'm currently playing: Last of Us 2 (need to finally finish this), Divinity 2 (think I'm going on 230 hours on this), FFXIV, Starcraft 2, Borderlands 3.

Theron

Oct 28, 2017
I have tried all games except Fortnite but are not plugged in.

COD is many years since I have played (probably COD 1 or 2). Used to play a lot og GTA 3 and Vice City but since hardly touched the series. RDR for some reason I never really got into but I have the games (forever backlogged). Destiny 1 I loved and played a lot but kind of fell off on Destiny 2 and have not played it since launch period. Assassin Creed I have been on and off. I liked Black flagg but the games have become so bloated that I never finish them.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what western titles we're talking about. Don't care at all about the games in the topic title. Have played them occassionally and always come away surprised at how poor they are, at their very best I might consider them mediocre, but they rarely get that high.

There are western AAA games I like though, like some of Microsoft's and Sony's first party games or CD Projekt Red, but the vast majority of western AAA feel like committee designed schemes to me.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Never played COD, Destiny, Fortnite and other MP only/focused games.

But I like AC, RDR, GTA...

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I play fortnite with the kids quite a bit, its my sons game of choice. I love the assassins creed games so I'm there for every release. But I dislike CoD / Destiny, mainly because they are online and I dislike the online community ( I only play fortnite with people I know)

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Don't really keep up with any of the Western AAA scene, for the most part. Actually, the only Rockstar game I've ever played is L.A. Noire (and I've got multiple copies of it at my house for multiple systems, love that game), though I'd try RDR 1 and 2 if I had them or got them free or something. Used to play Fortnite, but the grind just killed me and I realized it was making me stop playing other games just to keep up with the Battle Pass, and so I dropped it a while back.

All the other stuff? Not interested at all. I mostly just stick to Japanese-developed games since I like the aesthetics and style of those more (I'll admit, I like my characters to be pretty lol, and I like some of the campiness - intentional or not - in a lot of Japanese games), and the Western games I do play aren't usually the big AAA titles (like, for instance, I loved SOMA with all my heart). The only pure Western game I actively keep up with over a long span of time is The Sims.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Of those you've listed, I've played:

CoD up through Modern Warfare - the games then became too expensive to be worth it for their SP campaigns so I've forgotten about them.
GTA: I think I played a little of San Andreas (and maybe 3?). I didn't care for them at all. I can't remember my exact reasons, but FWIW, Saint's Row appealed to me much more than GTA.
AssCreed - I played them through 4 when I got tired of how formulatic they were. Tried Origins and Oddyssey since they changed them up. However, I quickly realized that as much as I like just roaming the world, nothing else was good enough to keep me entertained.
Red Dead - played some of 1 and wasn't feeling it for some reason. I may try 2 out at some point.

Of the rest, I haven't given a second thought about Destiny or Fortnite.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
No interest in service games, otherwise I play most major first party stuff.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I love Western RPG's. My favorite genre by far, so I'm really plugged into that side. I really like Western Action games like Assassins Creed, Red Dead, God of War, Dishonored, what have you, a whole lot. I like a lot of Western strategy games like XCOM, Slay the Spire, Into the Breach, etc.

I don't like Battle Royale games, loot driven games, or most multiplayer shooters regardless of regionality, so I'm not really "plugged in" to that whole scene.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'll be honest and admit I used to despise the Assassin's Creed series. I had played the first one back in 2011 or 2012 and found it to be extremely repetitive and frustrating, which made it hard for me to understand why it was so praised and how anyone could want yearly sequels for that.

Fast-forward to 2019: The Ezio Collection goes on sale and I buy it because the price is really nice and I'm thinking maybe I should give the series a second chance. And then it clicks. Kinda. I never warmed up to Ezio, but he did become a more interesting character as his story moved forward, and the gameplay ended up being quite addictive with its cycle of completing the activities of an area and advancing through the main plot to unlock more areas with more stuff to do. I ended up playing the whole series, from the first to Odyssey, and now I sort of love it as a comfort food type of game.

Far Cry is another series that I like a lot, but I only care for the main titles and don't care much for the spin-offs.

I enjoy GTA and RDR. Their worlds are big and detailed in ways that make me glad just to be able to roam around and do dumb stuff. That said, I wish Rockstar would both trim the fat from the stories they want to tell, making them more focused, and improving on their mission design so these parts would be more flexible. I also think they really dropped the ball with GTA5's characters and plot.

Call of Duty is a series whose games I enjoy but would never pay full price for. Their campaigns are fun, some of them are really great, but if there is a series that I wouldn't care at all if it simply disappeared, this is the one. Never tried its multiplayer, never will.

Destiny is like a drug to me. I played it for a total of about 2400 hours in a year and a half, and decided to quit it cold turkey when I realized how damaging it was being to my social life. When Destiny 2 came out, I played it for two days before deleting it. All the addictive elements were there, and I didn't want to risk going down that rabbit hole again. I'll give it another shot when my Series X arrives, but I'll try to play it more casually and keep away from PvP and co-op activities.

Fortnite never had any appeal to me.

Arkane, id software, Machine Games, Tango Gameworks (does it count as Western?), and, to a lesser degree, Bethesda, are all devs whose output I love.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
The last Call of Duty I played was Modern Warfare on the PS3.

The last GTA I played was 4 on the PS3, but I barely played it.

The last Assassin's Creed I played was II on the PS3.

Never played Destiny.

Never played Fortnite.

Never played Read Dead Redemption, but I bought it back in the day.

I stopped buying or even really paying attention to games and series I don't have an interest in.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I play anything that isn't top-down, 2D or a simulator. AAA is all up my alley.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Really fallen out of alignment with the major AAA space. GTA is really the only one of those listed I can say I got into and that was like 7 years ago

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I play some of the single player ones like AC, GTA, RDR 2 but I never touch the online modes or GaaS/DLC elements.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
pretty much 0, western AAA no longer interests me aside from a few select sony first party titles and the odd DOOM/GTA title every now and again.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Very unplugged.

Generally, I only enjoy singleplayer experiences, so fortnite, CoD, overwatch, and many others don't interest me on that basis alone From there, there's a multitude of reasons I skip out. For Assassin's Creed, I'm always literally confused what version I should buy or how easy it is to avoid microtransactions, so whenever I do think of buying it on sale, I never do. I do play Sony's first party output from time to time, but they're never system sellers for me and uhh I think that might be it?

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Very, *very* unplugged.

Assassin's Creed I liked, but I burned out on it when beating Brotherhood because of how frequently new games in the series were being released and never got back to it. Rockstar games I also liked, but I always feel those games are padded too much, and I almost never ended up finishing them, so at some point I ended up not buying them anymore either.

I've also often had a hard time getting into western RPGs, so I've always felt a bit left out when it comes to excitement surrounding BioWare or Bethesda games. Although, I guess people have been unimpressed by BioWare games for a while now.

Also not a big fan of FPS games outside of local multiplayer unless they're super arcadey, like Doom.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I find that I mainly play Japanese games (exceptions for like, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider Man, maybe Control some day), so yea I'm definitely not a part of the gaming Zeitgeist this forum usually thrives in. Tho as I kept adding games to my parenthetical there it's more western than I had thought, but more like... one-off western games, less the big huge AAA ongoing ones. Def none of the ones mentioned in the OP.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Don't care about CoD or Destiny. Red Dead 2 was absolutely incredible (but it didn't hit the same highs as 1 did imo). Assassin's Creed is pretty fun.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'll pop into the occasional mega-budget western game when I get the itch, or I'm curious about the zeitgeist. Popped into Fortnite from time to time until Epic got on my shitlist, played lots of Skyrim, installed GTA V on a whim -- it scratched the itch but I deleted it a few days later. I think the last one to stick was Doom in 2016.

It's a broad generalization, but most of the time, these games just don't stick for me. Of course there will be exceptions, but I often compare them to empty calories. Also, I'm just not super into the homogenized Michael Bay Lite aesthetic that many lean into.

My gaming diet is largely indies from all over the world, retro stuff, mid-budget weird Japanese things, and Nintendo. I'm pretty happy with that.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I finish like 1 AAA game a year (this year it was Eternal DOOM)

The majority just suck. I have played enough games that I know I won't like them, without even playing them. I know it sounds stupid, 'how can you judge a game without even playing it', but modern AAA games are so homogeneous and same-y that it's easy to tell. It's why I've opted out of PS5 this gen, Sony's offerings don't interest me anymore.
Moreso, AAA games nowadays tend to be clearly obvious time wasters. There's many more interesting games to play instead.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Red Dead Redemption and GTA none of those franchises interest me.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Very unplugged. Its mostly just Sony's output and a couple games here and there that interest me.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I was out of it almost entirely until the last year or so. Got into CoD and some of the Sony exclusives. I had a hunger for some high production values. I loved Horizon, mixed on the new CoD. Thinking of trying the new Assassin's Creed, mostly because of the historical setting.

I've tried Fortnite a few times and it never sticks with me. I don't really vibe with the basic gameplay loop.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
The newest Modern Warfare is tops, a great shootbang. Played Black Ops 3 a lot when I first got my PS4 and really liked it but wall running is my fantasy soo... Infinite Warefare is underrated and the new Black Ops based on what I played of the beta is godawful.

Destiny is my crack and I've been on it for a while now.

GTA5 was fun when I first got my PS4, never finished the campaign and I didn't really play the online enough to do any decent with it. Played RDR2 and didn't finish it, in fact about 30-40 hours in I started to truly hate it... But I respect it as a piece of work.

Fortnite is surprisingly decent, downloaded it again when it had its latest update and somewhat enjoyed a couple of games. Thing is, I'll never be good at building so it's not for me.

Assassin's Creed is actually my kryptonite so I'll never touch one again.