• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bi0g3n3sis

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
6GB/s is not typical otherwise Microsoft would have advertised that. On the other hand, they confirmed that 4.8 is conservative, so between 4.8 and 6. The posts you quoted have me saying 6GB/s is possible but I've almost always added that typical is between 4.8-6

Now it's not typical. OK
Conservative based on what? 4.8 GB/s is included with all BCpack crap and general purposes compression, 6 GB/s ( sorry, maybe 6.5 GB/s ) is theoretical max. I think really you need to stop doing this over and over.

OP
OP
platocplx

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Now it's not typical. OK
Conservative based on what? 4.8 GB/s is included with all BCpack crap and general purposes compression, 6 GB/s ( sorry, maybe 6.5 GB/s ) is theoretical max. I think really you need to stop doing this over and over.
yeah I agree. like this is wild now lmao.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
They explained it the UE5 demo limitation is not Nanite or assets quality it is only 4.5 ms before optimization currently it is running faster They have three 8k textures per assets, 16k shadow maps textures, assets with billions of polygons, display 20 millions polygons on screen in the demo and the PS5 can render it at 60 fps. The limitation is not Nanite but Lumen the GI system, they explained it but they think they can optimize it and the target is 60 fps at the same quality for the demo.

After they explain too the assets they used are too big on disk for a game. This is Mandalorian level of assets quality.

EDIT: From a RAD tool games guy company doing the oodle kraken and texture product read the full thread

After is does not means been as fast as PS5 is mandatory but like he said even in steaming the higher the better and less wok for devs. But PS5 will be better with loading, portal or crazy setpiece, imagine Thor against Kratos fight. The unrealistic 20 gb/s can be useful fo loading, if you have 10GB to load it is only half a second. Loading is never too fast.

What is dawning on me now is that the moment I/O speeds skyrocket, the SSD size is going to become the new bottleneck. To reach its fullest potential, a Skyrim or Final Fantasy-scale next-gen game could easily use hundreds and hundreds of gigs on assets, even post-oodle compression.

I wonder if Sony will have any limits on the size of games. I assume not, but what's to stop a future CoD or GTA from being 500GB big?

I hope the absolute mad lads do it.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
They also said 6.0 is just an estimation based on expected compression from bcpack as well as xva/sfs/io. If I'm not mistaken, 4.8 is based on bcpack entirely and also just an assumption. That of course doesn't mean they can't be higher.

Okay I did not know this. The texture compression on these systems is incredible.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Now it's not typical. OK

It's a receipts based world we live in. Before you twist my words again. All I said is XSX is typically between 4.8-6GB/s and 4.8GB/s is conservative(thus you'll typically see higher numbers). It can also go higher than 6GB/s under ideal circumstances. The max of that has not been verified in the same way Sony has with their figures.

PS5 is currently rated at 8-9GB/s but we now know with Oodle, they're aiming for 2:1 on average which is 11GB/s and under ideal circumstances up to 22GB/s.

Thats all I said before you twisted my words to say "6GB/s is typical on XSX". I don't think so. I understand the PS5 SSD is significantly faster than the XSX, its a fact, everyone knows that at the end of the day. The other truth is what really matters are the typical numbers, we know the engineers working on Oodle have stated will be on average 2:1 which is 11GB/s.

Thats all. It's still impressive it can go all the way up to 22GB/s under ideal circumstances but with RAM of about 16GB and between 13-14GB for games if there is a working set of 11GB then the system will be more than capable at the average rate of 11GB/s.

Last edited:

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
What is dawning on me now is that the moment I/O speeds skyrocket, the SSD size is going to become the new bottleneck. To reach its fullest potential, a Skyrim or Final Fantasy-scale next-gen game could easily use hundreds and hundreds of gigs on assets, even post-oodle compression.

I wonder if Sony will have any limits on the size of games. I assume not, but what's to stop a future CoD or GTA from being 500GB big?

I hope the absolute mad lads do it.

The price of NAND has been dropping steadily and with Sony's approach you'll be able to get a 2TB SSD at a reasonable price soon. Already a 980 pro with 7GB/s PCIe 4.0 m.2 is at $229. Otherwise this is a gen where we keep 8TB HDDs on hand. Also, with lower NAND prices consumers will hopefully get a 1.6TB version of the PS5 in a year or two.

bi0g3n3sis

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
It's a receipts based world we live in. Before you twist my words again. All I said is XSX is typically between 4.8-6GB/s and 4.8GB/s is conservative(thus you'll typically see higher numbers). It can also go higher than 6GB/s under ideal circumstances. The max of that has not been verified in the same way Sony has with their figures.

PS5 is currently rated at 8-9GB/s but we now know with Oodle, they're aiming for 2:1 on average which is 11GB/s and under ideal circumstances up to 22GB/s.

Thats all I said before you twisted my words to say "6GB/s is typical on XSX"

2 times. LOL I've never twisted your words because you literally said ''typical above 6'' few pages ago. Under ideal ideal circumstances it can go below 7. That's it and you should accept it and move along with that. For your sanity and others (like one member said in other thread) don't go any further. You've been corrected numerous times.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
2 times. LOL I've never twisted your words because you literally said ''typical above 6'' few pages ago. Under ideal ideal circumstances it can go below 7. That's it and you should accept it and move along with that. For your sanity and others (like one member said in other thread) don't go any further. You've been corrected numerous times.

You're lying. where in the last few pages did I say the lie you're attributing to me, this phrase ''typical above 6''. At this point I think it is you that believes that. As I have said consistently between 4.8 - 6 for XSX and now we know with Oodle, on average 2:1 ratio is possible for PS5. So 11GB/s on average for PS5. Stop your lies. if you want to believe the XSX can typically go beyond 6GB/s then say so don't accuse others.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Thread Ban (Permanent) - Hostility & constant back & forth

And here is a post from April this year where I said 6GB/s is not typical. So yeah no reason to resort to twisting and lying about what I've said previously.

fair enough. There's no point using the 22GB/s and the 6GB/s hasn't been shown to be typical. I agree that 4.8GB/s and 9GB/s are better figures

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand any of this "Oodles" things as I almost misread them as Noodles supercharged with the IO system. 😄

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
There's no way of knowing of what the unreal 5 engine does with those at runtime though. If you've set the resolution to be 1440p instead of 4k then surely the engine will reduce the max resolution of the megascans to save space?
There is most likely a Nanite specific format which is compressed in way or another to save disk space and most likely data is in nice format for memory as well.
Expect it to load what is needed to memory in some way. (Think virtual textures.)

If what is above is true, rendering in lower resolution should allow slightly smaller memory usage runtime.
How fine grained the loading is and what possible artifacts are when object and display resolutions do not match is unknown. (I expect slight smoothness of object surface before all data is loaded, with very slow drive this could take few frames. (IE. On Ps3.).)

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I disagree. Most in this thread would understand that it's impossible for memory to be entirely composed of texture data, even without the OS reserved portion. It was simply a comparative remark for frame of reference.
I don't think everyone knows this.
In theory the new machines can load in areas much nearer to the player as the SSDs are quick enough to pull in information fast enough to appear instantaneously as needed. This could lead to much more detailed worlds beyond what just a jump in GPU power could provide
The new Open world games will be something to behold. I am so excited for next gen RPG :)
- SSD in the PS5 is like a slower version of RAM. You don't need to organise data - you aren't limited by seek times, you can pretty much just access any of your game data at any time.
Nah, bandwidth isn't everything. RAM has much lower latency for instance iirc.
For crazy setpiece maybe we will see DBZ, Man of Steel final fight level of destuction in the next God of War where a boss fight punch send you at the other side of a realm at high speed destroying some of the scenery like a mountain
I want this to happen.
I was going to make a joke about next Bethesda game finally having no load times to get into a building, but then remembered the whole buyout situation... so yeah. How about Witcher 4 without loading times!?
lol? You don't need to swap out 13,5GB everytime you enter a building, therefore you will be able to do stuff like this on Xbox. Developers worked around much bigger constraints before.

PS5 SSD is stunning and I can't wait to see what PS studios can do. But can we stop treating Xbox SSD like a slow ass HDD? And can we stop pretending next gen games will swap out 13,5GB every second?

Up to 17.38 Gb/s they say? Dunno how it can even exceed the whole PS5 VRAM amount.
Iirc, didn't Cerny mention 22Gb/s during the PS5 presentation, What happened to that?
22GB/s is the absolute theoretical best case. For games depending on the data you are looking at 11GB/s average. That's not to say devs can't reach 15GB/s or higher for textures. But it depends on the game and data within a game.

bi0g3n3sis

Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Thread Ban (Permanent) - Hostility & constant back & forth
You're lying. where in the last few pages did I say the lie you're attributing to me, this phrase ''typical above 6''. At this point I think it is you that believes that. As I have said consistently between 4.8 - 6 for XSX and now we know with Oodle, on average 2:1 ratio is possible for PS5. So 11GB/s on average for PS5. Stop your lies. if you want to believe the XSX can typically go beyond 6GB/s then say so don't accuse others.
And here is a post from April this year where I said 6GB/s is not typical. So yeah no reason to resort to twisting and lying about what I've said previously.

OK, one more time. You literally said 4.8 and 6 GB/s is typical ( screenshots provided below from page 6 and 7 ) even if members tried to correct you previously. If you quoted your own post from April which of says otherwise in the end ( AFTER when you've been corrected on page 17 after few pages of discussion ), why you've 5 months later said same wrong things again ? Logically you wouldn't, but you did...AGAIN!

Now you trying to backpedal and accusing me for saying lies. I mean WTF? I'm out of this

xQPSAe0.jpg

VqMO4U0.jpg

ovlplvw.jpg

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
lol? You don't need to swap out 13,5GB everytime you enter a building, therefore you will be able to do stuff like this on Xbox. Developers worked around much bigger constraints before.

PS5 SSD is stunning and I can't wait to see what PS studios can do. But can we stop treating Xbox SSD like a slow ass HDD? And can we stop pretending next gen games will swap out 13,5GB every second?
22GB/s is the absolute theoretical best case. For games depending on the data you are looking at 11GB/s average. That's not to say devs can't reach 15GB/s or higher for textures. But it depends on the game and data within a game.
I believe in Todd and Bethesda Studios next game to slow down whatever IO wizardry (ie PCIE3 throughput on Xbox, still really fast as mentioned) that any Xbox engineer can provide. :P

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
OK, one more time. You literally said 4.8 and 6 GB/s is typical ( screenshots provided below from page 6 and 7 ) even if members tried to correct you previously. If you quoted your own post from April which of says otherwise in the end ( AFTER when you've been corrected on page 17 after few pages of discussion ), why you've 5 months later said same wrong things again ? Logically you wouldn't, but you did...AGAIN!

Now you trying to backpedal and accusing me for saying lies. I mean WTF? I'm out of this

xQPSAe0.jpg

VqMO4U0.jpg

ovlplvw.jpg

"typical throughput is above 4.8GB/s and 6GB/s is possible. "

"typical throughput is above 4.8GB/s"

"6GB/s is possible."

"6GB/s shouldn't be typical."

These have been my statements. You misconstrued what I said in those other posts. In the one where I said "6GB/s is likely the max typical throughput", I was referring to what Mr Fox had said about 6GB/s being the theoretical max. So you're picking that one equivocal sentence and ignoring all the other times I've said I don't expect 6GB/s to be the typical throughput.

fair enough. There's no point using the 22GB/s and the 6GB/s hasn't been shown to be typical. I agree that 4.8GB/s and 9GB/s are better figures

I don't think 6GB/s is typical. James Stanard of Xbox said 4.8GB/s is conservative but to expect 6GB/s to be typical doesn't make sense as well. Why did you think that?

When I said " 4.8GB/s is conservative, the typical speed you'll experience is above this and between 6GB/s."
I mean't between 4.8 and 6GB/s. Not above 6GB/s

Last edited:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I wouldn't want to pass too many judgments or make too many assumptions, but he was looking at data in general rather than texture data specifically, and tbh, I would guess he was offering numbers that his IO/compression team gave him - I don't think he's necessarily an expert in the field himself. And they likely offered figures that were independent of tools/data that you weren't necessarily getting out of the box at that time, (pre Oodle Texture licensing). So it was conservative, but I wouldn't stretch to unprofessional. His target audience (devs) would know what better texture encoding would mean.

I don't think he was necessarily anticipating that consumers would latch onto those numbers too preciously, in apples:apples comparisons with other systems or whatever.

They said on average 11 GB/S with all type of data but it can go higher depending of the texture set. It will change like in Racthet and clank from level to level I suppose. I never said it will be 17 GB/s all time. I said it can peak to there. On R&C Rift Apart some portal load faster than other, it will be the same depending of the set of texture to load.

It will vary from level to level in the same games. This is compression. Sometimes it will be 10 GB/S other time it is 13 GB/s. This is the reason some portal load faster than other in R&C Rift Apart.
Well, it's really great to see that the PS5 could achieve even better throughput numbers than we previously thought.