• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
She's 3rd billed behind Wood and McKellen on all three films.

kwGR2VB.jpg

W0L9d5m.jpg

Cbe3zrO.jpg

Note: This is not a comment on her acting ability. I thought she was a great Arwen. It's just that she was barely in these movies, especially the 2nd and 3rd one.

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
She's the female lead. Not that there's a lot of competition, but that was almost certainly the core of the contract negotiation on that.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
she was one of the bigger stars in the film at that time, so it was probably part of her contract.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She's a pretty big name (or, well, was) and probably had a damn good agent.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
how come gollum from the first movie is on the 2nd movie's poster

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Mortensen was a name in a couple things, Bloom was nobody. Blanchett had a fairly small role. Tyler was basically the lead female.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know but even as a kid it bothered me. I never liked her on screen and I have never seen a movie where she ever performed well. Blanchett and Miranda Otto deserved higher billing but I guess nepotism gets you places.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Armageddon.

She was more of a name then pretty much everyone but McKellen and Blanchett.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
She was a bigger name than the rest of 'em. It's all about star power.

If you're wondering about Viggo, he was like a last minute replacement hire when the original actor cast as Aragorn didn't pan out. Still good enough to be in fourth place I guess. :p

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you're wondering about Viggo, he was like a last minute replacement hire when the original actor cast as Aragorn didn't pan out. Still good enough to be in fourth place I guess. :p
Also, at the time he was basically a nobody. Can't think of anything I'd seen him in before that - the devil in Prophecy?

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
how come gollum from the first movie is on the 2nd movie's poster
If I remember correctly, they were keeping Gollum's appearance relatively under wraps until he actually showed up on the big screen in Two Towers.

Gollum was a big VFX achievement and the first time a lot of people saw him properly was on a cinema screen.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is I once helped jump her and Steven Tyler's SUV in a roche bros parking lot and they seemed pretty damn nice and chill at the time.

Mar 3, 2018
Is name placement a big thing in Hollywood? Honestly never paid much attention to names on posters as I like to just see how the artwork/picture looks.

May 24, 2019
Is name placement a big thing in Hollywood? Honestly never paid much attention to names on posters as I like to just see how the artwork/picture looks.

9Yzcj3G.jpg

McQueen, Newman, and William Holden all wanted top billing. Holden was refused, his long-term standing as a box office draw having been eclipsed by both McQueen and Newman. To provide dual top billing, the credits were arranged diagonally, with McQueen lower left and Newman upper right. Thus, each appeared to have "first" billing depending on whether the credit was read left-to-right or top-to-bottom.[SUP][22][/SUP] This was the first time this "staggered but equal" billing was used in a movie although it had been considered earlier for the same two actors regarding Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid until McQueen turned the Sundance Kid role down. McQueen is mentioned first in the film's trailers. In the cast list rolling from top to bottom at the film's end, however, McQueen and Newman's names were arranged diagonally as at the beginning; as a consequence, Newman's name is fully visible first there.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Aerosmith threatened to release another power ballad if she didn't get a high billing.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was Paltrow's lover in A Perfect Murder and was in GI Jane. That's about all I knew him from before.
Not exactly blowing up, but yeah, I do remember those.
Funniest thing about being excited for this back then was all the times you had to say "he's the guy who played x in x!" because no one knew any of the cast.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about the LOTR trilogy is a miracle. The fact that they are as good as they are is a lightning in bottle type of situation.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the time she was one of the biggest names in the films. Still is, tbh. That cast isn't exactly brimming with A-listers.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
These movies are so damn good, I can't stop myself from rewatching them

Disco

Oct 25, 2017

Jackson did amazing with the trilogy but whew imagine how much lesser this would have been with Stuart Townsend remaining as Aragorn. Huge game changer replacing him

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Liv Tyler was kind of big back then. Or at least up and coming enough to justify the billing in the early 2000's.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I was 17 when the first Lord of the Rings film came out. The only actor/actress in the film I knew before watching was Liv Tyler. I suspect that's why. Must be some marketing purpose.

I watched X-Men before but didn't make the connection until later lol

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
LOTR doesn't have a lot of female characters, that's why Arwen's role was expanded a lot in the movies. She probably got a top billing mostly because marketing needed some female lead for the posters and there wasn't much to choose from, especially any with name recognitision (expect Cate Blanchett).

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
LOTR doesn't have a lot of female characters, that's why Arwen's role was expanded a lot in the movies. She probably got a top billing mostly because marketing needed some female lead for the posters and there wasn't much to choose from, especially any with name recognitision (expect Cate Blanchett).
And even Blanchett only had art house cred at the time. She wasn't recognizable to the average movie watcher.