• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you know a pony wasn’t a baby horse?

• Yes

Votes: 371 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 299 44.6%

• Total voters

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't remember a time I didn't know this. Guess someone explained it to me when I was a kid. And by kid I don't mean a baby goat.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, c'mon, guys... These PONIES were adults with JOBS.
cicbnfhntp1vzxpovwcj.png

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't remember, maybe 9 or 10?
Also don't know people are kidding here or not with votes and those posts! :|

Sep 14, 2019
But... So... Are baby horses just called baby horses?

What about Ponyta and Rapidash?

Ponyta is a younger Rapidash!

The world doesn't make sense to me anymore!😩

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
tuna thing is weird but pretty reasonable if your only exposure to the term was the canned meat itself - especially since sardines are very much "fish spam"
Oh, trust me... it makes perfect sense for this guy to be unaware regarding such things, I have no idea whether or not that is the case but I've been very much convinced he's a high-functioning autistic person from the very first day I met him. He loves mathematics, high fantasy and science fiction novels and board games and is extremely knowledgeable about these matters. Anything else he's often clueless about. The tuna thing came up because there was a "tuna boat" as a part of a board game we were playing in our weekly board game meet and he though the idea was silly which caught all us by surprise when he explained why. The pasta thing came about one one of the members of my board gaming group started on her path to veganism and a guy was saying he could never give up meat as he didn't like vegetables to which Mr. Pasta Tuna Math Guy promptly replied that he was wrong as he had notice Mr. I-don't-like-vegatbles Guy almost always had pasta for dinner in our monthly events and pasta was a vegetable. Again, stunned us all.

There's a ton more stuff like this... for example, when we won the 2016 UEFA Euro competition he completely failed to notice it, despite living right next to one of the places where the celebrations were held (check this video, he lives on the yellowish building you see on the right there at the 03:50 mark in the video right next to the huge crowd and this kind of extremely intense celebrating went on for almost two whole days before subsiding).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Probably like 10-15 years ago at least. I always assumed this was one of those "fun facts" most people actually knew.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They're also measured in hands, and in addition to ponies there are minis and cobs. Males are stallions or geldings, females are mares. All babies are foals, but males are colts and females are fillies.

The horse world is full of interesting nomenclature.

That's what I don't get, what's a miniature horse? Like how can you ridicule someone for knowing what a foal is but not knowing a pony isn't the same thing when they have things like miniature horses that aren't considered ponies.

Like Lil' Sebastian was a miniature horse, right (poor Ben)?

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
didnt know it exactly,

but i always thought it was a reason why they were called different than horses.

also a baby horse is like a lot taller than a pony.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
when I was very little, about 5 or so.. I am legit surprised people didn't knew this.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Honestly can't remember. I grew up rural, so there were all kinds of horses in the area. Some were ponies. They were different kinds of horse. Some where foals. They were baby horses. And some were pony foals. They were adorable baby horses.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, trust me... it makes perfect sense for this guy to be unaware regarding such things, I have no idea whether or not that is the case but I've been very much convinced he's a high-functioning autistic person from the very first day I met him. He loves mathematics, high fantasy and science fiction novels and board games and is extremely knowledgeable about these matters. Anything else he's often clueless about. The tuna thing came up because there was a "tuna boat" as a part of a board game we were playing in our weekly board game meet and he though the idea was silly which caught all us by surprise when he explained why. The pasta thing came about one one of the members of my board gaming group started on her path to veganism and a guy was saying he could never give up meat as he didn't like vegetables to which Mr. Pasta Tuna Math Guy promptly replied that he was wrong as he had notice Mr. I-don't-like-vegatbles Guy almost always had pasta for dinner in our monthly events and pasta was a vegetable. Again, stunned us all.

There's a ton more stuff like this... for example, when we won the 2016 UEFA Euro competition he completely failed to notice it, despite living right next to one of the places where the celebrations were held (check this video, he lives on the yellowish building you see on the right there at the 03:50 mark in the video right next to the huge crowd and this kind of extremely intense celebrating went on for almost two whole days before subsiding).

I bet he's great at math tho

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
I learned at a young age that ponies are the Chihuahuas of horses.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe ...11-ish? +/- 2 years?
I had Zoobooks as a kid and I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in there.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I bought a horse in a nightclub at 2am a couple of years ago, but it turned out to be a pony. I learned the difference within a few weeks of that, though I knew a baby horse was a foal.

He jumps as high as any horse, and there is only 1cm difference before he would be considered a horse anyway, so I just refer to him as a horse usually. Besides, saying you bought a pony in a nightclub makes for a much less fun story somehow.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A pony walks into the bar and coughs noisily.
The bartender says "that doesn't sound healthy, do you have a cold?"
The pony replies "I'm fine, I'm just a little horse"

Jan 10, 2018
So ponies are just a small breed of horses?

I never call a baby horse a pony but I kinda thought they were the same. Or maybe not... Honestly, I'm confused.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
I knew this one but if you need proof that I'm still an idiot, I thought narwhals were made up fairy tale animals until like age 19
I basically believed they were sea-unicorns
I learned narwhals existed because of the meme song. They don't teach about them in my country and I'm sure that if I go and ask people about them very few will know what they are.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It actually was back when I first started watching My Little Pony, in 2011. It was when they showed Granny Smith and Mayor Mare, both elderly ponies with gray hair*. I was like, "Woah, old baby horses? This shit's wild." But then I had an inkling in the back of my mind and looked up what a pony actually is.

* Mayor Mare was later revealed to be dying her hair gray and it's naturally pink.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It actually was back when I first started watching My Little Pony, in 2011. It was when they showed Granny Smith and Mayor Mare, both elderly ponies with gray hair*. I was like, "Woah, old baby horses? This shit's wild." But then I had an inkling in the back of my mind and looked up what a pony actually is.

* Mayor Mare was later revealed to be dying her hair gray and it's naturally pink.

So, serious, important question, is Celestia not a pony? (I think her sisters or whatever are also a bit bigger than the normal Pony)