• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you know a pony wasn’t a baby horse?

• Yes

Votes: 371 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 299 44.6%

• Total voters

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

My friend sent this to me yesterday which blew my mind and then led to me learning far more about equines than I had ever really bothered to in almost 30 years (in fairness, I thought it was like a toddler horse).

I'm now scared about how many assumptions I have about the world that are wrong. (I will say, I think late 80's/90's cartoons could have done a better job because a lot of my friends weren't aware of this either)

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Apparently it took me 32 years to figure it out, as of this minute. So, that's my new thing learned for the day.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This was me a couple years ago... I didn't realize there was a distinction. Dating someone that grew up with horses brought a lot of new things into my life.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno, but young, OP. What did you think a Shetland Pony was? A baby-baby horse?

However, I won't even admit how old I was when I realized a toaster darkness dial was a timer, not an energy regulator.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Considering that the word "foal" isn't an uncommon one to come across, I'd say I was probably pretty young.

This sort of stuff reminds me of an extremely unaware friend/ex-teacher of mine who's a 42 year old math genius but has really weird gaps in his knowledge, like thinking pasta was a plant and thinking tuna was essentially the fish equivalent to spam or corned beef and not an actual specific fish.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't have horse-related conversations enough in my life to feel bad for not knowing this.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I knew they weren't babies, but I had assumed pony was a term for a young horse, children, or teenagers if you will. Like horses were foals, then ponies, then full-grown.

Guess you learn something every day.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Quite young. My mum worked at a stable when I was a kid and I used to ride a horse, so I knew what a foal was.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I blame Pokemon.

How you gonna have Ponyta evolve into a full blown horse?!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno, but young, OP. What did you think a Shetland Pony was? A baby-baby horse?

However, I won't even admit how old I was when I realized a toaster darkness dial was a timer, not an energy regulator.

what about the frozen button? Doesn't that do low power for a bit to help defrost? Or does it just add 10% to the timer?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that the word "foal" isn't an uncommon one to come across, I'd say I was probably pretty young.

This sort of stuff reminds me of an extremely unaware friend/ex-teacher of mine who's a 42 year old math genius but has really weird gaps in his knowledge, like thinking pasta was a plant and thinking tuna was essentially the fish equivalent to spam or corned beef and not an actual specific fish.

tuna thing is weird but pretty reasonable if your only exposure to the term was the canned meat itself - especially since sardines are very much "fish spam"

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Fuckin' what, now?

I mean, I knew a foal was a baby horse. But I also figured a pony was a baby horse, just maybe a different name for it.

Damn.