• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Thrown out of the family home just before I turned 18, lived homeless for a few months and got given a council home eventually.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
My parents tell me rent is dead money.
My father believes that house prices always go up. (I think he's a fool)
They also acknowledge that the housing market is somewhat unaffordable for new buyers.
These reasons are probably why they don't mind that none of their kids have moved out. Hell, My sister is older than me, and even has a masters degree and a stable job and she's still here (No partner though). I'm pretty sure that my mother simply prefers having us around anyway.

I've gotten into arguments about the housing market quite a few times with my father.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
When I was 26 and I wish I could have moved sooner.
One of the best days of my life. Getting away from family that sucked all the happiness and well-being out of you, really takes its toll.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
26, but I was in major debt before then so I didn't want to move out while being in that. Also I saw no sense in paying $1000 a month for a studio apartment.

Could I have moved out years earlier and moved in with some buddies and lived in basically a 2 story frat house? Absolutely, but there was no way I was doing that. I don't share space unless it's a girlfriend.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
25 when I finally got a Dorm room (they are like mini-apartments here, so no sharing). I live in a huge city with multiple colleges, so moving out seemed kinda pointless.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
18 when I went to University but I never really went back besides holidays. I left the UK when I was 19 and haven't lived there again since (26 now).

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
22 or 23. I had just landed a job as a temp-to-hire contractor for my current career. Those years were wild with change.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
18, if I remember correctly. Moved quite a ways from my hometown, which was both terrifying and liberating.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I'm 28, moved out for University but returned home while looking for work. Then my mum took ill with Alzheimer's and I've had to stay home to care for her and support my dad.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
18. I went travelling for the year. I worked a ski season in Canada, and then went travelling around SE Asia for a few months. When I got back I went to uni 5hrs away.

I have lived back at home for a few months at a time after uni etc but have not moved back long term since I left.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I was 24 when dropped out of college, left Baltimore ,MD, and moved to Florida with only then possibility of a job interview down there. It ended up being one of the best decisions I ever made.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston

Moved back at 22 for a couple of months while looking for a job, and once again for a couple more montbs after a cross country move for a job at 28, but once I got an apartment I was out. never planning on it again

Last edited:

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
That was 2 years and a little ago so... 25 going on 26? I live in Germany though so customs on that front might be different. For one, a lot of people already move out for their university years (and not into dorms either just regular apartments sometimes shared with roommates), I just didn't because I lived somewhat close to the uni and was able to save up money for a semester abroad that way (i am not counting that semester as me actually moving out btw).

Then after my studies when I found a job it was rather close to my parents' house too and it was a limited time contract at first. But they told me they would offer me a fixed position if I did well my first year, which they did, and then I moved out cause I had the financial security to do so. Once I decided on moving out it all happened rather fast, landlords/ladies love people working in government institutions as tenants because they have job security = punctual rent always.

That being said I always paid my parents monthly from my part time job earnings for food and lodge ever since starting university. Not as much as i would pay a stranger ofc, but I did compensate them.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
19. I not only moved out, I moved out of my home country and came to US. One of the most challenging phases of my life. You really don't know what you got till it's gone.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

I moved out when I was 23 during the beginning of this decade straight after finishing my master's degree to start a new job in the city. Went pretty smoothly but had to use most of my savings that I collected when working part-time during my studies (parents didn't provide me with any financial support). Thankfully, the job I went into enabled me to recoup my losses within half a year.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
embarrassingly i was 27 and still penniless but i was so determined to not be 30 living at home i was like "fuck it, i'm making this happen". dropped out of school, got a manufacturing job and couch surfed/lived in dicey apartments for like half a decade. in the end it actually worked out well for me but... man... that was one rough ride

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
18. Then moved back when I was 21 after Uni.

Then spent 5 years living at home and hoarding pennies like a miser in which I nearly killed my parents and they nearly killed me.

Then I got a mortgage. Worth it.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
18, but I come back every weekend to work in the restaurant of my parents and I stay there between semesters. I will come back for a few years (2 or 3) after I get my Masters diploma. Just 1,5 years hopefully...

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I moved out at 27 in 2014. I just graduated from a long ~9 year college run between getting an Associate and Bachelor degree (couldn't afford full time semesters), and had a good job lined up. The job was 2 hours away, so there was no way I could make that commute daily.

I was living off of student loans for a couple years at this point since I quit my retail job to focus on school. By this time I had $1k to my name, and my grandparents offered me $1.5k to help move. My girlfriend (wife now) quit her job and moved with me.

It was a pretty painless experience, and the freedom has been incredible. My home life with my family has been a real struggle and stressor since 2010, so the ability to move away was a huge weight lifted from me and the best thing that could happen for my health and well-being.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
18. It sucked at first, though liberating. I returned home a week here, a week there, to surf pop duke's couch.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Back in 1993. I was 18, and it was about 4 months after I graduated high school. I moved into an apartment with a friend because we both had shitty jobs but wanted to get out of our parents homes asap.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
My parents tell me rent is dead money.
My father believes that house prices always go up. (I think he's a fool)
They also acknowledge that the housing market is somewhat unaffordable for new buyers.
These reasons are probably why they don't mind that none of their kids have moved out. Hell, My sister is older than me, and even has a masters degree and a stable job and she's still here (No partner though). I'm pretty sure that my mother simply prefers having us around anyway.

I've gotten into arguments about the housing market quite a few times with my father.

Jesus your situation continues to mirror mine, except my sister is actually a little younger and does have a partner. But even the master's degree part lines up.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I moved out after graduating college so like 22, but I had to move back with my parents for another year after initially moving out

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Moved out at 23, came back at 27 cause I lost my job. Dad died by 28, and I didn't want to leave mom alone so we moved to an apartment together. Stayed until 31 when I met my now wife, moved in with her.

TojoT

Oct 30, 2017
At 18 for university. Was supposed to move out at 15 for high school (as many of my friends did), but family ended up moving to the city the same year.

It went well for me. I worked during holidays and had good student loans and grants to make it fairly comfortable. I'd been helping out at home (laundry, cleaning and dinners) since I was 10 so I didn't have any trouble transitioning.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
When I was 18, for college. At least where I went to school it was definitely the norm to move out for college.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I moved out when I was 16 with some friends. It was shit; nobody cleaned, nobody had any experience living with others, the flat was a right dive. So I moved back in with my family, and then moved out for good at 20.

The added maturity helped a lot. In the time between 17 and 20 when I lived at home I asked my mam to let me do my own washing, I started to buy my own food and had my own shelf in the fridge, I cleaned a lot more, etc. So the second time, it was good.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I think I was 25, because I stayed at home while I was in college. After that I moved in with my wife (who was my gf at the time) and the rest was history.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
18 years old, moved out in 2006. Best decision of my life. Getting away from my family and having to figure shit out for myself was a life changing experience.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
31 years old, going on two years ago.

Went very smoothly, in no small part due to my parents only living a five-minute drive away. Had plenty of help moving, getting set up, etc.

If I could give people a single piece of advice, it'd be to live with your parents for as long as you can (whether that means as long as they'll allow you, or as long as you can stomach it). There'll never be a better way to save money.
[/QUOTE

ok, this person gets it.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
18 in 2010, had to move back for about 3 months in 2014 but other than that it's been pretty smooth.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I moved out when I was 17 under the guise that it was temporary. When I turned 18, I revealed that it was not temporary. Then later that same age I moved back in because lol money, so it actually was temporary. Then I moved out for good when I was 23 because I had gotten my first real job.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
21 and it was amazing and I miss it. Moved back in at 26 as I got divorced with a six week old. I'm still here at 28 though as I'm moving overseas next July and there's no point moving out just to move again. It's hard though and I really don't feel at home here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
18 when I joined the military. After my six year enlistment, I moved back in because I started school and I'm saving money to buy a house.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
22 for grad school. My undergrad was a 5 minute drive from my mom's. Ended up moving from Latin America to NY at 22, it went really smoothly. My parents were amazing at preparing me for life.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Never really, I think. At university I came back home every week-end, and later once per 15 days. I worked for 2 years but that wasn't really moving out, I came back during holidays...Then I was fired partly because of health issues. I stayed unemployed for 9 years due to mental health and living in a place with high unemployment rate. Then one year ago most of my family died and my mental health got worse. I often apologize to people I lost for failing or not being the exemplary child who succeeds.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
18 never looked back. Went from Midwest cities to the Bay Area in the years since