• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hazmat

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
I was 14 and broke my pinky playing catch with a seven-year-old family friend. I'm very tough.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Broke my arm when I was 4 years old. I tried to climb on the back of my mom's bike and fell of the other side. Had to be surgically set, still have the scar.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
I think I was under 6 years old. Anyway, a bunch of the kids in the neighborhood thought it would be fun to go down the downward spiraling slide sitting on trashcan lids. So of course I did it too.

I went down super fast and hit my arm on the corner of the slide as I went down. Not just breaking it, but (from what I recall) making it look like a Z in shape.

My memory is probably wrong on the shape since it was so long ago, but I do recall thinking that at the time.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
9 or 10 years old.

Fell off a monkey bar, fractured my right wrist.

Had to learn how to write with my left hand for a few months.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I was 3. I jumped off a rock in the front yard at "day care". The older kids were doing it and it wasn't even that high in retrospect. I'm sure the family wasn't registered or trained to be a day care but this was the early 80s.

I remember crying for awhile before an ambulance arrived. The mom was splitting peas on the porch and the dad and son were chasing a pig in the back yard. I finally threw out the cast earlier this year. My mom kept it for years but she passed and I didn't want it anymore

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I broke my finger at 35 during a rowdy new years eve party, i was dancing like a madman and slammed my finger into a chair, i was too drunk and stupid to care so i tried to bend it straight and and just kept on partying, and the day after i was too hungover to go see a doctor, it took me a couple of days before i finally got my dumb ass off to a hospital, all of that was very stupid since i had to have surgery twice to fix the damn thing properly, it never healed right and it is still a bit crooked five years later.

This was all very stupid of me even more so since i am a doctor and really should know better than to ignore a bad fracture.

I still don't know how i managed to go 35 years without a single fracture considering all the stupid shit i have done.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Never broke a bone so far thankfully. Fractured some ribs when I was a tree surgeon years ago, which was the result of a roped branch swinging round the tree and smashing me in the chest which sent me flying. I was roped in so it's not like I hit the ground or anything, but yeah, still hurt like fuck for a while.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Broke the tibia and fibula in my right leg when I was six after falling off my bike. Worst part was that it happened at the beginning of summer, and I had a full cast that prevented most fun activities.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I was 33 or 34. Was playing with my (only at the time) daughter, jumped on the couch to put a blanket over me to "hide", my left leg slipped and my second toe hit the ground just wrong with enough force. I knew it instantly and I still can't believe how I just didn't start dropping f bombs in front of my daughter. My wife didn't believe me it was broken until later that night when I showed her my mostly black and blue toe that was about the size of my big toe.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I was 23, a guy broke my cheekbone with some punches, now it's all titanium. Please don't punch anyone, especially for no reason.

Dr. Alu

Dec 7, 2017
- In school in parallel bars and lost my grip. Broke the central bone in my central left hand in an attempt to shield my head during falling
- right small toe to connecting with a door frame while rushing down stairs
- Metatarsal bone broke due to being tackles on a shooting attempt playing football (soccer) on an uneven public football field - kicked full power into the ground

AngryPuppy

Oct 27, 2017
In my early to mid twenties I was getting a lift to work and realised I'd forgotten something after we pulled out of the driveway, wallet or work pass or something. Went back into the house to grab it and bounded down the stairs, went over on my ankle and heard a loud crack. Got my shoe off and my ankle had swollen to twice the normal size. I thought I'd broken something but apparently it was just a bad sprain, although the tendon had 'shaved' the bone.

Then at 33 I was at a christening, there was a buffet at a local bar after. Bunch of kids running about including my two year old, and I was trying to keep them in the little area we had - there was an open archway to the rest of the bar and an open shot to a busy parking lot. After a fair bit of this I left someone else in charge and went to get some food, when my kid makes a break for it. I go to catch her and end up slipping, my foot goes out from under me and I end up horizontal in the air and come down hard on my right hip.

Managed to get up onto a stool but couldn't put weight on my right leg, so we went to A&E and sat there for 7 hours before getting seen and it turns out I've broken my hip. I wasn't in terrible pain so didn't mind the wait, I figured in terms of triage a broken bone can wait. Apparently though they like to deal with broken hips within 24 hours, because there's blood flow to the end of the femur that can be interupted and cause the bone to die and become necrotic.

Couldn't get an operation in the middle of the night but next morning I got a pin and plate put in. Have been back for a few xrays since and it seems like the bone is healthy so looks like blood flow isn't a problem. Did find out later I have lower bone density for my age than I should have, had a few blood tests to determine cause but nothing panned out. Basically on doctors order to eat as much dairy as I can and take supplements.

Steenbock

Nov 1, 2017
So, there used to be an indoor amusement park an hour or so from my house called "Old Chicago". It was essentially a warehouse filled with rides and attractions, making for a crowded, noisy environment. Needless to say, it was a place that every kid wanted to visit.

Well, in seventh grade, we got to go there; but it wasn't as much fun as I had hoped. Workers were moving some very large, very heavy containers through the crowd, and I didn't hear one of them coming up behind me until the last second. I wound up _almost_ getting out of the way, but my foot got run over.

Kind of ruined the day. All I really remember about Old Chicago was the big container nearly running me over, and spending a lot of time sitting in one of the back rooms of the facility while the adults worked out what was going to happen next.

I wound up with a hard plaster cast up to my knee for a few months and a permanently damaged foot (not sure if it was fractured or broken, TBH). The little toe on my left foot has its middle bone tilted at a 45-degree angle, the medial (?) bone behind my big toe sticks up higher than it should and severely pinches a nerve whenever I wear shoes that are even slightly snug (I have to avoid even having laces cross that part of my foot).

It's been an ongoing irritation, but OP's story reminds me that things could have turned out a lot worse.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was around 6 or so. We'd moved into a new place and were watching fireworks out the back door but the porch hadn't been built yet. The door swung open more and I reached out to get it and fell out and broke some ribs on a rock. I'm not sure there's a good first bone to break, but I do know that that is a pretty shitty one.

And since then I've only ever broken a toe and my ribs again.

Oct 27, 2017
Fractured my left fibula playing football when I was 13. Kid leaped and dragged me down from the collar which made be fall back with my leg trapped underneath. Didn't actually hurt that bad until I had to get my leg measured for the cast. Doctor did not handle me lightly.

Sneijder

Oct 28, 2017
Cologne
I was 7. On Sunday at prime time they aired Cliffhanger, I couldn't watch it but had seen the commercials for it and was stunned. So Monday in school, we got 15 minutes to do what we want and the teacher brought some ropes with. And there was always these climbing frames in our School gym.

so what did I do? Got on the frame, made some knots with the rope and screamed I am cliffhanger. Bad thing was,I didn't know how to make a proper knot so the rope was loose and I fell down and broke my arm 😭😂😂

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Age 41, broke my ankle in a motorcycle crash at the racetrack. I still have 9 screws and a plate in my ankle.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
29. Riding a longboard in a bike lane. Car snaking through rush hour traffic drove into the lane without looking and I clipped the front of his car and went shoulder first into the ground at 35. Exploded my collar bone and smashed my head on the pavement. He waited until I started to get up then fucked off.

Got sent home from the ER with a bunch of prescriptions and a phone number for a surgeon to call the next morning. Had to beg them to see me that day because otherwise I would have had to wait a week just to have it looked at, meanwhile I had bits of bone trying to stab through my shoulder and neck. Ended up sleeping in a chair for 2 nights until they could get me into surgery. Cost me a few thousand in medical bullshit and I eventually just stopped paying because I would get new bills every week and I had no idea what anything was even for because it would just say things like DRUGS on it. I have a hilariously gigantic folder full of them. Total billing to my insurance was over $100,000. Luckily the closest hospital was one that worked with my insurance. If they had sent me to the wrong kind of hospital I would have had to pay significantly more. It healed alright, but I have a big metal plate in my shoulder and if I wear a backpack the circulation to my arm gets cut off. Hopefully that will go away when I get the plate removed.

American health care is insane and I am glad I left back to a first world country.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
33, driving a bike never saw the pothole and just landed over my right arm. I had a cast for at least a month. Fractured elbow.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
4 years old. My 11yr old brother accidentally jumped on my left leg on the trampoline. Took them two weeks to take me to the hospital since they thought I was being dramatic. Was broken in two places.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
10 years old and I didn't go small with a finger or anything. Compound break of my femur. Three weeks of traction and a body cast after. Go big or go home! It was so soo soooo painful.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
I was in first grade (so... five or six years old?) and fell from the top of a Jungle Gym (this one was a geodesic dome). Landed on the ground flat on my left palm and my got a compound fracture and my bone shot out near my elbow. Time slowed down, it was so weird. I don't remember any pain. Had a sweet cast and the teacher made my class make this huge get well card with individual wishes from each of my classmates. I still have that. Also it being the mid-70s they weren't so great at the cosmetic part of surgery so I still have an awesome Frankenstein scar about three inches long and you can see where each stitch went in. Also they put in two pins but could only recover one. Still acts up when it is cold outside.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
35 and i have never broken a bone.

bet it's going to really suck if it ever happens.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
About 15.

Saving a basketball from going out of bounds on a slightly elevated public court. Tibia and fibula.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
i was either 13 or 12. i was doing silly 80s freestyle moves on my bike

fractured my right arm

i've broken some toes since, but fuck it what can you do

Mar 3, 2019
Was 15 when I broke my collarbone twice within 6 months playing soccer and football. Got the all clear from the doc after 6 months to resume sports, then immediatelly broke it again lol. First time got an experimental titanium rod which was awesome, recovery time was 4 days no pain meds, no sling. Second time I bent a rod had to wear a sling for 6 months and that's where it's at now. One side is slightly shorter than the other so shirts sometimes fit weird

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
5. first time leg I broke, I tripped and got my leg got in between trampoline springs and tried to get myself out and twisted it wrong.

second leg I broke happened less than a year later where my middle sister threw me into a wall and it broke from the impact.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Broke my leg when I was five or so by jumping off a chair and doing a badass ninja kick in midair.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Just curious, but did you quit riding motorcycles or did you change the way you ride if you didn't quit?

I quit cause I couldn't afford another. At this point I don't miss it as much but I did miss it a lot abd had quite a few dreams that some how I still had my first motorcycle at least (mine got totalled in the crash).

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Knock on Wood

I'm 38 and never have.

Played soccer for 14 years, including for a Clemson travel team. Played American football for 4 years including a short stint in the IFL.

Also took taekwondo in my teens and did some dirt bike track solo racing...with some nasty wrecks.

Would think I'd have done so at one point.

Worst thing I ever did was dislocate my arm, which was literally popped back into place by a team doctor in the 90s, and take a layer of skin off my right calf in a dirt bike crash (tons of blood). 🤯😆

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
10 during PE. Was running across the field when I punched through a small sinkhole. Broke all of the metatarsals in my left foot and broke my jaw. One good thing is I've got a radar for rain now, my foot is sensitive to the pressure.

Last year I almost broke that same foot while free running. I twisted the ankle so badly it still hasn't healed right.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
10, broke fibula. Dared, DOUBLE dared, to do a back flip off a two story school gym. I was told by a 16yr old that the two feet of snow would keep me from getting hurt. Yeah, I didn't back down from the dare.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I've broken 12 bones in total.

First time was collarbone, arm, wrist and hand all at once. Caught some huge air on my bmx bike but the landing didn't go well. Spent the summer in all kinds of slings and casts.

What to do with an entire summer vacation and a crippled upper body? Well take up skateboarding of course! Which I then proceeded to break my ankle.

It must be hard as parents to let your kids take up extreme sports when injury is all but guaranteed.

BombStrike

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I must have been really young because I don't remember it myself, but from what my parents told me I once read across the room onto a couch that fell backward breaking both my arms as they got trapped under it...

The next time was when I was ~8yo, I really enjoyed climbing the roof of our barn using a gigantic stack of firewood on the side of it, one day as I was coming down the stalk at the bottom of the pile gave way and I went down with several tons of firewood miraculously breaking only my right arm...

Jan 10, 2018
Last winter. I was rushing towards a buss stop to catch a bus and I started sliding on an ice patch that was covered by snow. In order to keep my balance I shifted all my weight to the right side and started flayling with my arms. The fibula bone couldn't handle the pressure so it snapped, and then the rest of the ankle broke in several places as it no longer had any support. They fixed me up real good with an implant and a lot of screws and it has taken almost a year to be able to walk normally. I'm still a bit stiff and it hurts if I put my foot in fixed positions for too long, but overall it's fine. Doctors said that I can expect a full recovery after about two years of exercise but there's no garauntee I won't have some repercussions for the rest of my life. As long as I can walk I'm perfectly happy; it could've been so much worse.

EFC33-CF2-FF21-49-A8-99-F0-2-ED3-D6-BD9-F90.jpg

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I was in the third grade and swinging on a swing. I swung high and jumped out and pretended to "Transform" like Optimus Prime. I must have passed out when I hit the ground and I looked over and my forearm was hanging lifellessly from my elbow. I snapped my forearm and it was brutal.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Was fucking around on a skateboard, rolling around on the road by laying on my stomach. Got some momentum and then this girl who liked me decided to jump on my back, my hand hit the pavement from the impact and we ran over my pinky with our combined weight. Pinky go snap.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Made it to 31 before I decided to mountain bike down a ski hill in the summer which resulted in me hitting a rock that sent me flying head over heels and landed on my shoulder which destroyed my clavicle. Needed surgery and have a plate and a bunch of screws in my shoulder to this day.

I had to hobble back to the trail head with my bike and called for an ambulance (which included an $1800 bill btw 🙄).

Might have killed me if I didn't have a helmet on tbh. Moral of the story is to not be a dumb ass.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
When I was seven, the summer after first grade, my friends and I would ride our bikes up and down the sidewalks. One sidewalk had a massively overgrown tree that we'd just go around. But that made it a blind spot. Another kid and I collided and I caught a handlebar to the chest, breaking my sternum and cracking two ribs. I'm 34 and I still have issues related to that.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Blocked a full power straight shot from my 4th grade crush and fractured my wrist from how hard the impact of the soccer ball was.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
At 37

I had a bike accident and fractured my collarbone. 4 months of no gym was far worse than any of the pain.