• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Do you own your house? Rent an apartment? I'm coming up on 30 and every time I hear people younger than me owning a house it makes me self conscious for some reason.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I'm 40 and have a mortgage on a single-family home. This is the third house I've purchased since I first became a homeowner at 24 (sorry, OP). I live in Indianapolis, so home prices are stupid cheap compared to a lot of the US.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
34. No interest in owning a home to live in. Typically stay in high rise apartments/condos, currently deciding which city to move to next, will then find an nice apartment there. Don't be self conscious dude, owning a home is a huge burden.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
28 and living in an apartment at the moment with my SO. Can't really afford a house, but we are going to try to start looking soon hopefully.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
We bought our first house when I was 25, moved into a second one when I was 29. I'm 33 now with no plans of leaving said house.

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a townhouse in my later 20's (It was much cheaper than an apartment and only had to put a tiny bit down as a first-time homebuyer). I sold that for a 40k markup after 5 years and bought a house around the age of 33.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
33 and own a Town House in Roswell GA (north of Atlanta).

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 33 and uhhhh...

TthVQgB.gif

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
33, suburban homeowner.

Don't feel insecure. I enjoy homeownership but there's major upsides to not being tied to a mortgage.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Mid 30's, rent. DC area is not great for buying unless you want to commute or have like a million dollars laying around. Also, I'm 3 blocks from work, 4 blocks from the metro and right in a downtown area with everything I need. Haven't driven in 3 years. And I found a steal so my rent is low and includes utilities.

Will buy eventually but for now renting is great.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
In my 30's and own a house, don't feel rushed OP, it's not exactly a dream. There's a lot that I miss about having an apartment or even just renting a house.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
33, and have 5 mortgages.

House we live in, small cottage in the mountains, and 3 rental properties.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
31, selling my condo that ive owned for 3 yrs and currently living in a brand new apt complex closer to work. Will be nice to not have a mortgage for a while lol

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
34. No interest in owning a home to live in. Typically stay in high rise apartments/condos, currently deciding which city to move to next, will then find an nice apartment there. Don't be self conscious dude, owning a home is a huge burden.

31. Pretty much this.

Oct 30, 2017
26. Living in my childhood home with my sis after our parents moved out (dad owns it though).

It's cool but I'd swap it for a smaller place, living alone, closer to the city in a heartbeat.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
39. Own a single family home. I was 33 when we bought our first house, but we had to live in a crappy apartment for several years to afford it. And we still needed help from relatives for the down payment on the second house.

Feb 21, 2019
30's loft downtown in a major city (renting). I live well below my means on that and invest the surplus cash.

Owning a home is not the best thing you can do for yourself financially but it depends on your situation, needs, etc.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
22 and with my parents for the summer, then living in university-owned housing for Law School because it's cheaper than actually finding an apartment in NYC

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
32; bought my house (3bed/2bath ranch with basement) in 2009 and refinanced to a 15 year mortgage at the end of 2017.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since graduated college, only rented.

Recently did a quick move to Washington for a job and we were renting a house along with another couple (their previous housemate moved out)

That couple actually ended up buying a house and invited us to be housemates, so we pay rent to them now. P good set up, not gonna lie.

Don't forsee us owning a house any time soon in the Seattle area.

EDIT: 26

Last edited:

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
30 I rent a 2 bedroom by myself. Being able to own a house seems like a fantasy, I dunno how in the world people afford them.
Buying ended up being cheaper per month than my rent was. It was getting and saving any type of down payment that was the hard part.

Honestly it was frightening how quick and easy it was for a mortgage company to let me owe that much debt so quick.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
27. Renting from and rooming with a friend in one-half of a duplex. Up until a few months ago we were living in an apartment.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I'm 32 and own a house, 3 bed 2.5 bath. Right now it's just me but my mortgage is actually about as much as I was paying before for a 1 bedroom apartment. Utilities are also cheaper.