• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I swear every game i'm playing lately has crashed on me one way or another. Division 2 crashes for me all the time on DX12, but if i switch to DX 11 all is well. Same issue with Zombie Army 4 on Vulkan than switching to DX12 fixes that. Are games just getting too complicated for our systems?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hard crashes are pretty rare but I do encounter soft-locks from time to time.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Specs? Failing psu?
I had all those 5700xt crashing issues. Getting a gold rated psu resulted in not seeing one since

unless it's RDR2, that game will randomly crash with no correlation to anything else

also make sure you have the latest versions of dx and Vulkan installed. AMD cards get updated vulkan runtimes bundled in with driver updates if you have one

deleting your shader cache files for dx12 and vulkan has also fixed RDR2 on countless occasions, but location varies on games (documents\rockstar games\ forexample)

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Very rare. Red Dead was pretty bad for it when it first launched on PC, discovered it was fine if you didn't have a controller plugged in on startup. Dragon Ball FighterZ has been occasionally crashing which I think is due to a bug when an online lobby is full it fails to switch to a different lobby and just crashes. Haven't had that in the past few days though. Can't think of any other off the top of my head.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Specs? Failing psu?
I had all those 5700xt crashing issues. Getting a gold rated psu resulted in not seeing one since

unless it's RDR2, that game will randomly crash with no correlation to anything else

• NZXT H710I (WHITE) CASE
  • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) MOBO
  • INTEL CORE I9-9900K 8-CORE 3.6 GHZ CPU
  • NZXT KRAKEN X72 CPU COOLER
  • MSI RTX™ 2080 SUPER VENTUS XS OC GPU
  • TEAM T-FORCE XCALIBUR RGB 4000MHZ (2) RAM
  • SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1.0 TB SSD
  • NZXT E850 GOLD DIGITAL PSU PSU
  • NZXT AER F 140 FAN (GREY) 3 FAN
  • NZXT AER RGB 2 120MM FAN (RGB) FAN
  • NZXT USB EXPANSION
There not hard crashes usually jsut soft locks, but it gets so annoying sometimes when it's every game. :/

rein

Apr 16, 2018
Not as many as i used to thankfully. The only games i ever remember giving me a hard time were Fallout 3 and Skyrim on the PS3.

diegdm

Feb 6, 2019
Yesterday DQ11 crashed my entire PC to the point that I couldn't even Ctrl+Alt+Del, or activate the Caps light in my keyboard

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
On pc maybe 1 time a week maybe 2 weeks if I don't use mods or mess with anything before playing a game, on console 1 time a month if I play a lot.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
  • NZXT USB EXPANSION
There not hard crashes usually jsut soft locks, but it gets so annoying sometimes when it's every game. :/

Check your event log immediately after a crash there may be a hardware/software issue here causing the problem that can be fixed.

Also worth running a stress test on the components (like 3D mark or prime95) and software like memtest to check for memory errors and a virus scanner like malwarebytes.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I play PUBG regularly so pretty often, either me or a squad member or sometimes you'll find someone moonwalking through final circle.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Extremely rare these days, the last major crashes was when my hard drive was beginning to fail. Never use mods or stuff which might effect it.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
It is very often when launching the game the first time and it gets stubborn with resolution, full screen/windowed.

Last gen games and older are very annoying with this. Some indie games too. Although I had this problem with The Witcher 3.

EDIT: oh, I meant soft lock. Hard crash? Now that is rare. I had it a few times with Modern Warfare 2019. It seems fixed now, but I don't dare to Alt+Tab anymore. But before that? I don't remember.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
  • NZXT USB EXPANSION

We have similar specs. It's very rare that i get crashes, and when i do it's a server issue (Hunt comes to mind). I just started The Division 2 dlc yesterday and playing in dx12 had no issues.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Very rarely, but if it happens then it is software related (mostly a new update for the game or a new GPU driver).

I have to add that I don't use any fancy SLI/Crossfire, Ultrawidescreen, VR or other things.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Doom 2016 was crashing my entire PC (blue screen) on Vulkan. I had to disable a Steam feature to get it to not crash (WTF Valve!). The feature was shader pre-caching, no idea if it was enabled by default or if I enabled it a long while ago because the description sounded good.

Now that it runs, the game will still crash in the loading screen between missions sometimes but it's better than nothing. At least it's just the game and not a blue screen now.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
It really depends what you play. I play a lot of Early Access games and those crash/lock up with great regularity. AAA titles and full releases though are generally pretty stable these days.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I often get hard crashes while playing Path of Exile on base PS4 and it's annoying.

Otherwise they're pretty rare. The PSO2 beta on Xbox One had a lot of crashes/freezing though for a 7 years old game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I've never experienced a system crash on my PC, but I have crashed Civ 5 once. I thought it would be fun to use IGE to reveal the entire map for a game with maximum opponents and maximum city-states and then I hit next turn to start it. Turns out my 1060 didn't like that because when I hit next turn the game simply turned off and I was back at my desktop.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Very rarely. RDR2 was the biggest culprit, but even that was limited to about 2 crashes during my entire playthrough.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Extremely rarely. I had a few when playing Bioshock 2 Remastered in January. Before that I don't even remember. Looking at my played games list I don't recall any 2019 games crashing

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Sonic Mania crashed loads of times for me on Switch. Other than that it's pretty infrequent. I dont play on PC though.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I feel I've had more crashes on my Switch than my other consoles as of late, especially compared to PC or PS4. I did recently have a crash on Sly Cooper HD port on PS3 that hard locked my system. It froze, the music was still playing, but controller didn't respond and hard to force a hard shut down of the console.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Death Stranding crashed once for me on the Pro and Disco Elysium crashed a lot on my laptop. Besides these two games nothing else has really crashed. Have had slowdown sometimes, and a few freezes that lasted around a minute on my Xbox and PC.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Same amount on console and PC.

Not often. A single game will have an issues every now and then.

PC it will usually take a short time to figure out, console is usually fucked until they patch it.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Outer Wilds on my PS4 crashed like, 10 times. It was so annoying.

Besides that, I haven't seen other crashes in a while.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Very rare for me these days. But I've not been playing much until a few months after release so that might have something to do with it. I miss most of the launch teething issues.

Finnroth

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game of course. From the memory of the last couple games: Bayonetta Remaster crashed roughly every 3-4h. Transistor crashed twice, so probably about the same rate. Death Stranding crashed once or twice, so significantly less, but overall it's common experience on the PS4 games I play.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
While gaming? Very rarely, accounting all my platforms. But sometimes my PC freezes out of nowhere during light activities like browsing or even waking up from idle, it's super fun (I can't replicate the problem, don't have spare parts to test stuff, and sometimes it's months without issues so I just live with it).

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Rarely. RDR2 has been the biggest shitshow recently, plenty of crashes on that. Otherwise crashing has been usually due to unstable overclocking.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I get occasional crashes, but never enough to be truly annoying.
On PC I think I've seen the "Unreal Engine has crashed" screen a couple times in the past few months. Can't remember what game(s) it was for though.
On Stadia I've had Borderlands 3 crash twice during a playthrough of the main campaign, and I think Metro Exodus crashed on me at least once.

For me it seems to be AAA open-world games that give me the most grief (and even then, a crash every 20 hours isn't the end of the world, just mildly annoying). I guess with so many variables to account for its impossible to stress-test everything.

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy had crashes in every game. After he updated the bios it went away.
I think it was some RAM incompatibility thing.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
On PC every now and then. Gears 5 crashed quite a lot for me.

PS4 I had a crash on River City Girls once, can't remember the last time before that.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I'm not entirely sure why you're crashing like that on DX12 in Division 2 though. I haven't had a single crash yet and I'm playing on DX12 as well. Performance has been pretty much perfect for me.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
On Switch, all the damn time. Crashiest console or handheld I've ever seen.

On PC I haven't had a game crash on me since the last time I had a GPU fan break.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm not entirely sure why you're crashing like that on DX12 in Division 2 though. I haven't had a single crash yet and I'm playing on DX12 as well. Performance has been pretty much perfect for me.
I read on Reddit it's a pretty big issue with the base game. Maybe the new expansions fixes it. I'm trying it right now and no crashes so far, but I'm only 20 minutes in.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 5700XT so unfortunately almost everytime I play something it will crash at least once. It used to be worse tho.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Either as a result of an unstable overclock or in some less stable games when changing settings often or alt tabbing a lot (e.g. RDR2). Other than that, it's pretty rare.