• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I just visited and signed up to my local library (just moved in to the area a few months ago) and it was the first time I've visited a library in years. I was reminded how many services they offer besides just borrowing books. You can stream movies (via Kanopy), stream music, loan eBooks/audio books, read digitised version of newspapers all for free (and online on your own computer or phone). I even remember borrowing games back in the day (like Sim City 2000). I wonder if the rise of the internet has meant library services are less frequently used these days (though I did see plently of people on computers and browsing books when I was there).

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Got back into using the library a year or two ago. As you said its so easy to forget what they offer. Every library in Ireland got linked up to the same system recently and 90% of the time if I'm interested in a book I can request it and it'll be delivered to my local branch library in a week or two. Digital services like ebooks and comics are pretty limited but their digital magazine collection is great.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, not often at all. BUT, I am still working through a large backlog of books that I bought from several library sales. Hard to pass up on $2.00 hardbacks and $1.00 paperbacks! Maybe I'll go more when that well runs dry.

Also, my local library kinda sucks. My township won't join the main county library system, and they don't have a large selection at all. They CAN borrow stuff from the county system, but it will usually take a couple of weeks for them to get a title, and then you only get it for about 2 weeks, and sometimes they don't want you to renew it, depending on demand.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Infrequently. Mostly ive been using them for lectures from TTC/TGC and Modern Scholar. Honestly im more interested in the store nowadays.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I use their digital magazine library all the time. Beats having those lying around the house and the hassle of recycling. I'd borrow ebooks as well. It's super convenient.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
I use the toilet in one.
Yes!

The local library has nice clean toilets. Worth the few minutes of detour. I've never rented books, but the toilets, yes.

The library itself is excellent. Multiple floors with a large area dedicated to kids. Kindergartens use the place frequently, so maybe the next generation will have positive memories of visiting and use it for its intended purpose. When I grew up it was this dusty place I avoided, so I never ever went there in my teens.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we use the library all the time. Largely because both libraries near us have a wonderful children's section and a couple of time a week do a toddler sing along session too (which we try to take my youngest to). I think we've got about 20 books on loan at the moment, and if you borrow 10 books at once you get a free DVD rental too, which I usually try to take advantage of. Absolutely love them and I think they're a wonderful and essential community feature.

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been in a library in over 20 years. Which is sad, because when I was in high school I actually worked at one!

Dec 2, 2017
All the time. I read a lot and prefer physical books to e-books. The experience of reading a physical book is just different to me.
I borrow audiobooks from libraries as well.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Almost never. I just don't see the need, I am not a huge reader and I can stream movies/tv right from home.

negreenfield

Oct 25, 2017
My wife does often. I use audible and always have a hard time finding what I want at the library for audio books so I've stuck with that. My wife goes almost once a week for books for her and the kids. The ones in my area are all super packed which is great.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a couple of times a week to borrow/return books.

And then there's all the times for various talks, work shops and classes. (Learning to play mahjong, kids LEGO tournaments, Mario kart tournaments, cooking classes, the list goes on).

And then the times to borrow musical instruments or telescopes to play with for a while. Or to borrow home tools. Or party/garden games when I have people over.

So a fair bit.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Essentially never.

That is likely because of my life situation, having finished my schooling but before having kids. Also, while I don't live in a rural area, I don't live in a densely populated city either, so I don't even know where the local library is and it would be a bit of hassle just to get there.

I understand the continued benefit of having a physical location, but in addition I wish all the content could be converted into a digital format that anyone can freely access remotely as well and request if they are residents of that area.

EDIT: In the new area I am moving to, the main city library will be 7 min drive away, so maybe I will use it more.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every week. I love reading, even though I'm disappointed they got rid of a lot of good books to save space for study tables that are mostly occupied by noisy teenagers that don't do any studying at all..

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I never go there but I drive by it on my commute and it's always busy.
🤷🏻‍♂️

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
My local library has a nice collection of children's sound books in a variety of languages so I go there and borrow some for my niece. It is actually really handy because I can't write nor read Chinese but we want her to eventually sing some nursery rhymes in the language so having these books with the songs in it saves us the trouble of trying to search online for them.

For other services, I've browsed their audio and eBooks collections once in a while but I've only actually used it two or three times years ago. When I have the baby and they have the baby group activities I go along. If I need to study for something or just want a quiet place I book a small room and it is great - quiet relaxing and productive while being a change from my usual places.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I spent my childhood in a library, by dint of my mom being a librarian.
But I haven't visited a library in nigh on 25 years now.

Chi-Guy

Alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Every Saturday me and my wife and 12 year old son go. We live in a great suburb of Chicago that has an amazing library system.

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I live about 3 minutes away from my local library and I go there about once a week, they have all the current papers, magazines and board-games in addition to books so it's a great deal for about 30 € a year!
The one thing that kinda sucks that I can't use their e-services with my kindle, they support pretty much all other devices.
I'm thinking about picking up a used tolino for small money so that I can download digital issues as well.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Yesterday, my girlfriend and I went to the used book sale at my local library. She is super into my library, so I'll probably be going there often.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Once every few weeks, I borrow books quite often.

The library system over here is great. Once I even borrowed a hammer drill so I could hang a few pictures on the wall.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Unfortunately, my local library sucks. Practically nothing but pulp and stuff for kids on the shelf. It's an embarrassment. (They don't support Kanopy either, which is annoying.)

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
5 days a week from 8-5 usually.

We just got Kanopy as a service, I'm surprised to see it mentioned here as I hadn't heard of it before a few weeks ago.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Very often, as a student I use the University's digital catalog- its insane the amount of journal subscriptions we have, this stuff is so damn expensive if you're not associated with an institution.

OP
OP
Window

Window

Oct 27, 2017
5 days a week from 8-5 usually.

We just got Kanopy as a service, I'm surprised to see it mentioned here as I hadn't heard of it before a few weeks ago.
Me neither. Just heard about it today when I signed up

Very often, as a student I use the University's digital catalog- its insane the amount of journal subscriptions we have, this stuff is so damn expensive if you're not associated with an institution.
Yeah this is always very useful for research. Though I usually accessed everything online and not from the library when I was at University.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I used to go in every week or two until my new job, where funnily enough I work in a library but not a public one.

Oct 27, 2017
I go to the library about once every other month. I haven't done it in awhile but I have also borrowed books on my kindle through the library.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Well I currently work there, so I'd say quite often. Even outside of that, quite often to find a quiet spot to study or read, or to check out books. I probably have about 20 books checked out from the library currently, lol