• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Topic title

• Like every 6 months - I must consume

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • 1 year, I buy every refresh

Votes: 51 5.0%
  • 2 years, about average

Votes: 234 23.0%
  • 3 years, little over average

Votes: 318 31.3%
  • 4 years

Votes: 223 21.9%
  • 5 years

Votes: 166 16.3%
  • I still use my Nokia 3310

Votes: 22 2.2%

• Total voters

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
When the last one stops working. My essential ph1 just died on me. So i got a pixel 4a 5g.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Since changing to iPhones every 3 years. I've had 6, 8 and now 12 mini.

I changed every year before that mostly because of hardware or other issues with my Windows Phones. Maybe every 1-3 years before smartphones. I've had an array of SonyEricsson non-smartphones before my first Windows Phone.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every 2 years. I like to get trade in value back on my phone as I couldn't get flagships without it. This way at least I get the phone I want at the same £17 a month roughly while I often find people paying £60+ for last years flagship.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the camp that buys a new phone when the current one starts to become unusable (although I might buy a new phone this year with a fingerprint scan, because of this mask situation). User replaceable batteries being phased off was one of the shittiest moves the phone industry could have made. Imagine how much could have been saved, in money, and for the environment if they were still a thing?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Always been every 2 years but I did a 3 year contract for the current one that I'm a bit over 2 years into, they're already offering to pay off the rest if I upgrade but I've got a Galaxy Note 10+ and I'm honestly still perfectly fine with it

EQLibriM

Oct 27, 2017
usually between 2-3 years, but i want to be better
but my s10's battery sucks major ass and im scared i might sin. its >2 years old now and i dont know how long it will last
also i dropped it within the first week of having it and it has a major crack in the screen for the last two years

perhaps ill try and score a second-hand phone to feel less guilty

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
It used to be every 2 years because I bought phones on contract, but now I buy them outright and I only buy when the previous one breaks or becomes unusable due to old software limitations - which seems to be about 3/4 years.

MajorTom

Nov 5, 2017
England
I used to buy a new phone every year, but I've had my iPhone XS for about 2 years now and I don't actually see any reason to upgrade yet.

It's fast enough and the battery lasts long enough so I don't really have any reason to upgrade yet.

Booker Do It

Sep 25, 2018
I've just upgraded from an S10 to an S21 and to be honest I'm very underwhelmed by it. Can't really tell much difference. Wish I'd just kept the 10.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It used to be yearly when i bought lower mid tier... Then i bought my first high end phone (an LG G7). I would still be using it, except LG gave up on upgrades rather quickly.

I plan on keeping my Note 20 for 3 years in total, literally giving it up only when Samsung stops updating it.

ftchrs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Had my first phone (non-smart Nokia) for 14 years.

Then I went Lumia 620 but firmware updates essentially killed it a year later. Thanks Microsoft you completely sucked at phones.

Then I got an HTC M8—my first flagship (Android) phone. It was OK. Stopped getting firmware updates pretty fast. Thanks Google you completely sucked at phones.

Then I went original Iphone SE, which I'm still rocking, because smartphones, for all their "apps", are some commodity-level shit. Next phone will still be an Iphone.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I only upgrade when my phone dies. I still have an iPhone 8+. It's been perfectly fine so I am keeping it.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
No vote. I used to be the type to upgrade every 2 years, was easily influenced by hype.

My wife and I are now both of the mind that we'll upgrade when the current one doesn't work anymore. We're both still using the iphone 7, and they work perfectly fine for our needs.

Genesis

Oct 27, 2017
Still rocking my Galaxy S6.
Can still live with the performance but the battery life has become an issue(it charges so fast though!).

Ready to upgrade now but I haven't discovered any appealing deals(the major 3 don't seem to try to win you over anymore); my phone is so old and has a slight crack at the top of the screen so the trade in value is close to nothing. Perhaps it would make financial sense next time to trade in the phone wihile it still holds value.

Are there any good deals you would recommend Era?
Maybe buying an unlocked phone and going with Mint?

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I went from an iPhone 5s (got it new for $25 when Virgin clearanced them) to an 11 lol. Hopefully my next one won't be that long but I'm not that bothered.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
I only replace a phone whenever my current one dies. Currently still on an Iphone X which hasn't shown any issues yet despite being like 3 years old.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Starting with the iPhone 3G, I've gotten a new iPhone every 3 years with the exception of last year. The iPhone 8 seemed like it was good for at least another year.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
2-3 years. Unless I break it before that, obviously.

Before I upgraded to the iPhone 11 I had my OG SE from almost launch.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
  • Nokia 3310 in September 2000 (was at high school at the time)
*seven years later*
  • Nokia 5310 XpressMusic in October 2007 (first job, new phone)
*four years later*
  • Nokia Lumia 800 in November 2011 (the first Nokia Windows Phone)
*two years later*
  • iPhone 5c in September 2013
*two and a half years later*
  • iPhone SE (1st gen) in April 2016
*four and a half years later*
  • iPhone 12 mini in November 2020

Average/median upgrade time? Once every four years … 😊

Then I went Lumia 620 but firmware updates essentially killed it a year later. Thanks Microsoft you completely sucked at phones.

I can attest to this, as my Nokia Lumia 800 only lasted me about 20-odd months because they killed Windows Phone 7.5 so quickly, due to them swiftly moving onto Windows Phone 8, thus there were no more firmware/security updates. Plus, the App Store was atrocious.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have an iPhone 7 Plus that works flawless still - which was bought new. I have not even thought about upgrading

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Until it's too slow to use whatever apps I use. Droid x (2 years) Samsung Galaxy S2 (2 years), Nexus 6 (4 years). Using the Pixel 3A right now and I don't see myself moving from this phone until it's a brick. The features on these things are pretty much set, so malfunction is probably the only thing that'll get me to upgrade.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have an iPhone 7 Plus that works flawless still - which was bought new. I have not even thought about upgrading

Same, but my battery is getting to be pretty shit at this point. I work from home though, so it is plugged into a charger 90% of the day. It drops pretty fast when using it though. I bet it has 4-5hrs max life in it.

It will get me through until the fall when I'll finally upgrade to whatever the newest build is.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I'm an idiot and keep falling for androids so every 2 years the phone is in awful shape so I have to upgrade. Well no more of this, I'm getting an iPhone 12 next month and I'm done with android for good.

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
4+ years, though I had an incident which forced me to replace my last one.

A large deep scratch on the screen made a part of the screen unresponsive.
That was a bummer.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Every 2 years. I can usually trade my iPhone in for $700+ so it doesn't make much sense to keep it

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
I used to be someone who upgraded every year, but with the purchase of my iPhone 11, I decided to stop that and just wait until it stops working. My battery capacity is at 85% and I'll try to replace the battery if it gets worse (before buying a new phone).

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I've currently got an iPhone XS Max and I very well may just hold onto this thing until it's no longer eligible for the latest iOS release. iPhones no longer impress me all that much anymore with their "innovation". An exception however might be if/when Apple releases their folding iPhone.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the promos around the time my 2 years is up. If I can trade for a free new flagship phone I generally will.

I got a free s21 and just traded my wife's iphone 8 for a free iphone 12.

So we should have an 21 and iPhone 12 for 2 years, then depending on if those qualify for free new galaxy/iPhones I'll trade them in.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I try to go every two years.

The only exception was my Note 10, as I got it at launch and upgraded when the Note 20 released as I was having issues with my web browsers randomly locking up.

I'm planning on keeping my Note 20 for a few years, as I'm perfectly happy with it (and as a Note user, I want to see what direction Samsung goes with their phones, the Note line and the S-Pen).

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Last Fall Verizon was giving $415 trade-in for the 2-year old iPhone XR towards the new iPhones. If they do that again this Fall for my iPhone 11, I'm definitely upgrading (which will be 2 years). You'd be dumb not to in that case... plus Verizon has their "device dollars" thing which I'll have around $300 worth in November so I'll have $715 towards a new phone. I'll basically get a free upgrade.

Seems too good to be true... something will happen like they won't offer that generous trade-in again or the Device Dollars won't be eligible in combination with the trade-in or some crap OR they'll make me upgrade to some more expensive 5G plan I don't want.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Every 4-5 years. Recently upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S6 for an S20 FE. While my old phone still worked the battery would last maybe 4 hours, so it was time to upgrade. Before that I upgraded from some lower tier pre-paid Samsung model to the S6. Maybe owned 3 other phones before that since 2004. I only use my phone for like 3 or 4 things (phone calls, Facebook messenger, an alarm clock, and occasionally reading reddit/resetera when I'm away from my computer), so while I like to have a nice phone I hardly need the newest and best. I can't understand needing a new phone every year or two unless you're really really into phone games and/or it's your primary way to access the internet. Otherwise, imo, that's a lot of money that could be spent on better things like PC parts, a nice(r) tablet, or games.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
When it no longer holds a charge or becomes too slow to do anything. I average about 4-5 years or so. I never really understood the need for constant upgrades when I'd just be using the same apps anyway.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Roughly 3-4 years. By year 3 even with lite use the battery is not what it was. Plus you seem to have meaningful performance upgrades by then.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Like every 6 months to a year. I can sell the old phone and get a new one for almost nothing so there's no reason for me not to upgrade

Oct 28, 2017
About every 3 years. But my 2 year old Galaxy S10e has been super janky for the past few months and I'll probably get the newest iPhone this fall.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever there's a good deal from the carrier. (in this case verizon so rarely)

Got my iphone 7 for free with a trade in of iphone 5s and two year agreement.

Got my iphone 12 mini for $5 a month for 24 months with a trade in of that iphone 7 and two year agreement.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
every 2 years. I got the Pixel 4 two years ago and I'm hyped for the Pixel 6 later this year.

Oct 27, 2017
when i feel like something new is out that is an improvement to what I got. I upgraded from the Google Nexus 6p to the Pixel XL, then from the Pixel XL to the OnePlus 6 then from the OnePlus 6 to the OnePlus 7 Pro. Every time was because the new one had some kind of better feature of design that I wanted at the time.

Currently there hasn't been a phone that improves on the OP7Pro in the terms that I want, so I've stuck with it and will stick with it until something comes along.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
2-3 years. Had my current phone for two years.

It works fine, however, it's not getting updates anymore, and hasn't had a security update in over 1 year.

Last edited: