• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
Hi Era,
I've been replaying Doom Eternal on Nightmare recently, and it has gotten me to think about how often I revisit games and why I do. It dawned upon me that most of my all-time favorite games are ones that I have no particular interest in ever returning to, while only a select few will ever be touched again. Doom is an exception, along with New Vegas and Hypnospace Outlaw (I haven't actually replayed it, but I have been feeling a strange itch to return). But other favorites that I hold near and dear, such as Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, and Disco Elysium are games that I may never play again and will only exist in my memories.
I'm not quite sure what draws me back to certain games, and keeps me from revisiting others. There doesn't seem to be a consistent draw. I consistently enjoy new experiences over old ones, but those old ones keep me coming back every once in a while.
So Era, how often do you replay games? What brings you back to the ones you do replay?

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I don't replay games at all. There's too many and most games don't respect my time enough as it is.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I replay games extremely often. I'm constantly replaying gen 3~5 stuff. What draws me back is the fact that I enjoy playing them, it really is that simple.

I don't replay bigger games as often, though. It's usually shorter or more arcadey stuff.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Very, very rarely. I go back to some older Zeldas and Castlevanias once every few years maybe. There's always so many unplayed games I'd rather check out.

A notable exception was Binary Domain, which I played back-to-back three times. That game was paced very well, aside from some bullet sponge bosses on higher difficulties.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It is weird.
While he is in my top 5, Minish Cap is not even close to my favorite zelda, but it is by far the one i most replayed ...

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I replay the actual games I love a lot, but is rare that I go replay games outside of my absolute favorites if that makes sense.

A new Yakuza port for example like the ones coming out on PC next month means instant replay of these games over all.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
It's gotten quite rare. Usually its down to ports with added content, remakes or late PC ports at a reasonable price.

OP
OP
nemorrhoids

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
It is weird.
While he is in my top 5, Minish Cap is not even close to my favorite zelda, but it is by far the one i most replayed ...
I definitely think there's a difference between quality and replayability. It's hard to put a finger on though. It doesn't even always relate to the pace of a game either, though I think that's a big factor of it.

ichigoww

Apr 22, 2018
I try to replay Megaman X every year.
If I really like a game, I'll probably replay it.
If it's a game I really like, and on top of that it's a short game, chances of me replaying it increase drastically.
So basically love + game length

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's very common for me to replay games. I've replayed some games upwards of 40 times (RE2 remake).

I tend to replay sub 10 hour first person and third person shooter campaigns. I enjoy playing them for the minute to minute combat, not because of challenge.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I play through Mega Man X a few times a year. I play Earthbound every couple years. I've played Sekiro five times so far. It takes a very special game in general for me to play it in the first place. And if it turns out to be a very very special game I'll most likely replay it eventually.

The guy two comments above me gets it.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have 2 games I replay every couple years, FF9 and Chrono Trigger. Outside of that...I avoid it... Sometimes I replay Halo campaigns with friends too

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Think Mass Effect 2, SoulCalibur single player, FFVI, FFX, MGS 3, Indigo Propechy, Chrono Trigger, Detroit Become Human and GTAV are the only single player games I've ever replayed.

But I also don't re-read books or re-watch films, so.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
Resident Evil 4 - The opening sequence trapped in the cabin is just chef kiss good, hoping they hurry up on the remaster

Bioshock Series - Again, opening sequences of all games are strong if I remember correctly and atmosphere is top notch in a setting unlike anything else.

No Mans Sky - I go back to it every so often and wind up putting at least a little time into it just to see what new stuff there is to play with. Always worth it.

SSX Tricky and NBA Street Vol. 2 - I loved the depth of trick customization both these games offered, I believe it's yet to get outdone.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Setting, story, gameplay, and all of the above at once. Doesn't even have to be a good story, just has to be entertaining enough.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
I almost never replay games. I only do it if it's necessary to grab a platinum trophy and the game is like 15 hours max.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhat often, I guess.

If I like the way a game plays, then I'll play it again just because I think it's fun. I still play through the first episode of Doom every now and then because I like it.
Other times, I'll replay a game where I enjoyed the story or world if it has branching storylines or something. Like how I played through Quantum Break again to do all the choices I didn't choose the first time. I really liked that time travel story so I was way into seeing it if it went about differently (actually, Quantum Break is also a game where I just enjoy how it plays too).

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Never when I was younger. Often now that I'm older. Not sure why... I could cynically say something like there are less good games nowadays but I don't actually think that is true. I actually think the opposite.

I think I value familiarity with the system and mechanics as being a really positive thing nowadays. Also in story based games, that are older, I truly find I've forgotten a lot of shit. It sometimes shocks me how much so.

I've played Mass effect many times but can't wait to play the remaster for example.

DiddyMSU

Dec 29, 2018
I almost never replay anything from the past 20 years. When I do reply a game its from the NES era. Even then I find I will play a few levels, smile and bounce.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Very rarely these days. I just finished Miles Morales and so many things are locked behind new game + that I won't experience because I just don't care enough. Too many games, little time. Aside, I'm not a fan of locking things behind new game +.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Mostly never. Unless it's a rare game that I haven't played for 10+ years, that I absolutely want to replay and is remade/re-released.

As said by others, there are many other games to play. Also, you can't play a game for the first time twice (eh), so it never feels the same.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I almost never replay games as I lose interest really quickly when I try but there are a couple of ones I do replay and they are Ninja Gaiden Black, NG2, Half-Life 2 and the episodes, Dishonored 1&2, and RE4.

I replay them because I think they are incredible games and I never lose interest in the gameplay.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
If I play a game and really enjoy it, I'll almost certainly replay it at some point in the future. I've completed most of my favorite games at least four or five times.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I did multiple replays of Fire Emblem: Three Houses for the different paths and put it on Maddening. I'll also replay a game when New Game+ makes it quick to see the ending.

That's it for me.

Last edited:

Alark

Mar 16, 2018
I often replay my favourite games. After having a child I've had much less time to play games so I'm only playing new games if I know they are really good. I'd much rather spend my free time replaying my favourite games since I know I'm going to enjoy them and it won't be a waste of time. Especially DMC and Souls games I tend to replay often.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Only old-school games - NES SNES 64 GCN nothing really past that. Maybe Mario Galaxy counts as Wii.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I think there is a lot of value to replaying games. On your first play, your mind is always focused on what's new, what's next, etc. On future plays, you know what's coming so you can better analyze different elements of the game and how they ultimately come together.

At least for me.

I mostly replay Zelda games, 3D platformers, Super Metroid, and the Uncharted trilogy. I grew up with them and I've enjoyed broadening my appreciation for them with age.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I replay games very often tbh. If I really liked it once, chances are that I'm gonna really like it twice.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
i've played demon's souls about 4 times through, plus a few experiments with builds that i didn't go all the way with

i just kept having things i wanted to do. that's generally the reason

i replay resident evil games because i enjoy the gameplay and have a lot of affection for the franchise. that's my most replayed series for sure

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Generally no. Fromsoft games are about the only ones that I'm interested in returning to at some point in the future. Over the last decade I've replayed some games from my childhood <10 years old like all the PS3 platformer remasters, and recently going through Kingdom Hearts. But they're essentially new games to me at this point because it was so long ago.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Almost never. There are far too many games I want to play for me to go back to something I have already completed. I am now making a point of deleting immediately any game I finish. This does not hold true for multiplayer titles. I keep at them until the new, very slightly improved version is released and then buy that (and delete the old - Call of Duty type games are in this category).

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I have replayed only two games this year. I rarely, if ever, replay. Unless I am working on something or researching a game it is likely I won't ever replay it.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I rarely replay games. But the few that I have are generally strong co-op games, like Halo.

I've replayed a couple of Naughty Dog games. And I will also replay action games like DMC or Ninja Gaiden.

But generally, I'm always on the lookout for something new and only replay if I am really bored.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Pretty often. I have a set of games I replay on a fairly regular schedule... Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro I replay at least once per year (minus DS2). Hollow Knight and Alien: Isolation once every ~1-1.5 years (I did 3 playthroughs of HK this year to finish off the platinum). Final Fantasy IX and Tactics every ~1.5-2 years.

There are plenty of one-offs as well. This year alone I replayed Ori and the Blind Forest, DOOM, The Talos Principle, Super Mario Galaxy, WoW Classic, Journey, Shadow of the Colossus (2018), and Dead Space.

Replays probably account for ~20% of what I play in any given year.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I replay games where you can improve your skills... Like recently Bayonetta, I replayed all the missions over and over to get a Platinum trophy on each (Normal difficulty). It feels really satisfying when you get it right finally.

Same thing with Doom Eternal actually. I've replayed the campaign a ton, and now the DLC a couple times. Finally beat the DLC on Nightmare. Getting better at games with really good gameplay is more interesting to me than playing a new game with average gameplay.

Also replayed Sekiro and Death Stranding this year... Now DS isn't really like those others, it's just a game to relax to mostly haha

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, I probably replay games that I enjoy, single player or multiplayer, more than I do play new games in any given year. And I probably replay single player games I really enjoy more than play any other game, except maybe whatever multiplayer has me enraptured at the time.

Mainly, I replay games that really succeed synergistically on most core levels that comprise what a video game is, namely strong (and usually primarily simple) mechanics paired with very strong art directions that reinforce the game's mechanics. Games that are audio-visual and tactile delights for me are what both interests me in games primarily/outright, and are what I tend to replay (and just play generally).

Tight gameplay. Great, timeless visuals. Great sound design. All of it goes hand in hand.

Most Mario games are good examples of this kind of game/what embodies what I look for in them. Feels good to move in, look around, listen, absorb and immerse.

Some games from Nintendo (mostly Mario focus, but can vary), Naughty Dog and Insomniac's games since the original PS (especially from that era), the Resident Evil IP (mainly when Mikami and Kayima were steering things), Halo as an IP, a ton of Rockstar Games' library are typically the games I replay the most. Games that have core focuses on very strong art direction, good/interesting mechanical game feel, and moving objects/characters within a 2D or 3D space are the games I replay most. Ones that are taut in their design and not overly bloated/burdened on systems/items/menu surfing and are more about existing within and being immersed in a virtual space.

The two game series I've probably replayed the most are the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon games on PSX. Why? They basically hit all of the core criteria I'm looking for: good art, I like how they feel, they are brisk/breezy with very little fat.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I replay games for a variety of reasons:

trophy cleanup/plat run
seasonal reasons (silent hill for Halloween)
nostalgia (FFVII for xmas)
random urges

I'd say the number one reason is trophies/ plat run. I'll often put a game down after a first playthrough so I have more incentive to revisit it years later for the plat/100%.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I don't replay a ton, but the only thing that does it for me is killer gameplay. I don't really need to hear a story again, (and second play through will skip if it's an option) don't really need to hear music again (other options for that), etc. but absolutely amazing gameplay is something I will come back to experience.

Also I find myself coming back to relaxing games often. I have a stressful job and a lot of times I just want to unwind with something simple and mindless. That's why I've replayed the gnomes garden series and katamari series so much. I can kick back and do some stuff without really thinking. I don't "always" want to be experiencing a AAA game and deep story.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
There are a lot of reasons/excuses:

1) Replay cause you're dumb and you forgot what happened and a sequel is coming:
For example gonna have to replay Horizon Zero Dawn to jog my brain before Forbidden West comes out. I also just really think it's cool.

2)Revisiting a game yearly because it's cozy.
UC4 is a game I play yearly because I love going on that adventure.

3)Festive Holiday Games
Mostly applies to Halloween where I try and replay REmake, Bloodborne, etc.

4)A shiny remaster comes out... ooh shiny!
Playing Spider-Man remaster right now to see the raytracing. And falling in love with the characters again.

5)To appreciate... again!
Like a good movie you can play it again and find things you missed or see that the game hits you differently. In Spider-Man there was a whole sequence that I forgot about, just cause a lot has happened between then and now smh.
Sorta want to play TLOU2 again but between an PS5 version possibly coming out and my backlog, I'll hold off

I would honestly replay more games if the backlog wasn't always breathing down my neck.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I don't like replays. I won't do it for higher difficulties or different endings. Reasons:
  • I don't have time.
  • I don't want to get burned out by singleplayer games.
  • I have a good memory. I'll instantly remember the campaign of games that I finished long ago and make my second run a dread.