• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How often do you call off from work?

• Only when I'm sick... *coughs*

Votes: 195 24.9%
  • Honestly? Like hardly ever. I never call off. So... ZERO.

Votes: 235 30.1%
  • I call off work when I have no choice. Stuff happens in life.

Votes: 332 42.5%
  • All the time, baby! My job doesn't own me! I don't care! I live my life!

Votes: 118 15.1%

• Total voters

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When I'm really sick, or if I can't make it into work because the trains are fucked or something.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think I've been off ill once in the last 2 years. I was allowed to work from home for the last week and a half though because I would have had trouble getting in otherwise.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had a sick day in as long as I can remember.. hard to put an actual number on it so I'll say 5 years.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm not a lazy waster and I don't abuse my good company sick pay. I'll be off if I physically cannot make it to work or I'm under GP or occupational health orders. I've not had a day off sick since 2016.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only when I'm sick but feels good knowing I have no ridiculous quota of sick days.

If your sick you're sick.

Oct 26, 2017
It's been years, but that's due to...

A: I haven't actually been properly sick for years.
B: My work gives good payed holidays (about 7 weeks a year) so I generally don't feel I'm lacking for time off.

I can and do call in when I'm genuinely ill, but I seem to have been on a good run for the past few years.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
If i'm too sick to concentrate or it's impossible in some way to get to work, such as extreme weather like a heavy blizzard or similar, I'll call in. Otherwise, I'll show up. And for the latter, I might still give it a try first.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
On average, maybe once or twice a month.

I get around 21 "do whatever you want" days per year (not including sick leave) so I take them occasionally.

Last edited:

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
When I'm sick, when I need to or when I feel I need to.

At my workplace, everyone is considered to be responsible enough to know when they need to take time off. And even if it's not needed, everyone is considered to be responsible enough to know if they can take time off. That's how it works for vacation time as well.

And literally no one abuses it.

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
I do it like 4 days out of the year. Every 6 months were allowed up 3 undocumented sick days. Anytime after you need a med note. So I end up taking a day when I'm not up coming in.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
When I need them, for myself or something with the kids. I get pays 10 sick days a year even if I don't take them so it is a nice bonus check before Christmas

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I work for myself now, but when I was in an office, I generally used every day that didn't carry over. If they're not gonna let me stack them for vacations/emergencies, I don't really feel obligated to work myself to the bone...

granted I wouldnt just like call out and fuck people over, I'd plan around light times of the year.

Man, freelancing is so much better lol.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
In the past three years I've done it twice. Both times I was dying.

As a kid I used to fake being sick to stay home from school all the time. I feel really bad about it now.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
For the first year I didn't do it once, now I'm sort of doing it sometimes where I work from home every couple of weeks or so because I have an interview for a different job, or if I'm feeling kind of sick.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I would guess 3-4 days in the last 10 years? One day for my appendix and a day or two when I got the flu.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have sick days, just one batch of PTO. I'd rather save it for vacations, so I only call in sick if I really need to.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I get sick every year without fail for the most part but usually once a year. Other than that maybe a few partial days if I have an appointment I can't schedule at a better time. And I try to take legitimate vacations with my accumulated hours once a year!

At my last job I probably definitely "faked" some sick days but it caused me a ton of anxiety and I had to give myself breaks to not lose my shit.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Only when I'm seriously ill.
I've worked from home on rare occasion when I'm well enough to work but concerned about spreading something to the office.
Haven't had a no kidding unplanned day off work since a brochitis incident in early 2015.

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017
I work for USPS. I transferred not too long ago from a post office station to a processing plant. In the two years I was at that particular station, I called out approximately 52 times. The majority of those call outs were because I didn't feel like going to work out of boredom (I would do 12 to 14 hour shifts 6 days a week, but because I worked alone overnight with no supervisor for the first half of my shift, I would sleep 4 to 5 hours during each shift). Never got in trouble.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I take mental health days because I'll flare up in my symptoms. I'm also a manager of a food location so taking a sick day is pretty much mandatory if you don't feel well.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I only call in sick 2-3 times a year when I am either actually sick or my kids are. I do regularly schedule me days off (I take one every other month) and we go on a couple of vacations each year. I definitely make sure I use the days that I am given but I don't think I have ever called in just because I wanted to skip work that day.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I hadn't been sick for over 2 years straight at my last job (3 people in a small office but dealing with the general public).

Now I work in a biger office around 30+~ people and I'm pretty sure each time I've been Ill is because it's from someone else who's been ill, sharing desk spaces etc. I use my own keyboard and mouse and clean the desk each start of shift now but some people coming to work ill is annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Once they moved away from having separate Sick and vacation to one bank called PTO, people don't really call out.

Also I work from home, much easier to work from home while sick compared to if you needed to make the commute and everything

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I worked when I was sick to get a day off during my exams. Life is great

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly 6 times a year. My company has a policy of 6 sick days a year, and it's a use it or lose it policy. It's separate from our PTO pool.

It is the unofficial policy of the office that people are allowed to use it whenever they want, so typically near their anniversary date, employees suddenly start taking 3 day weekends just so they're used up before the roll over.

idlewild_

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe a day every 3-4 months, we have unlimited sick leave so it's never an issue if you're sick or need a mental health day.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
For a long time I only called in when I was sick or had no other choice due to other things in my life. But the past few years I have taken a couple of days off here and there just for mental health and to relieve some work stress. You have to do that every now and then because it really helps your sanity if you feel overworked. I get 10 paid sick days a year, so use them or lose them.