• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How often do you call off from work?

• Only when I'm sick... *coughs*

Votes: 195 24.9%
  • Honestly? Like hardly ever. I never call off. So... ZERO.

Votes: 235 30.1%
  • I call off work when I have no choice. Stuff happens in life.

Votes: 332 42.5%
  • All the time, baby! My job doesn't own me! I don't care! I live my life!

Votes: 118 15.1%

• Total voters

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Today was the first day in a long time when I called off from work and I wasn't sick.

A bunch of my friends wanted to go outta town and have fun this weekend. I love my friends but I didn't wanna go because I usually work Saturdays and Sundays. Some of them already have Saturday and Sundays off and some of my friends just called off work. My friends kept urging me and begging me to go. I like seeing a full paycheck so I didn't wanna go but you know what convinced me to call off? I was watching tv and a commercial came on about a old man who wished he had spent more time with his friends when he was younger. Even though it was a commercial, I felt sad for the old guy. I felt like it was a sign that I should go with my friends. Go ahead and laugh but the commercial was pretty emotional and tense. I don't know what the heck it was trying to sell. If I can find it, I'll link it. I also hardly ever hangout with my friends on the weekend anymore. I do feel kinda bad that I don't hang with them as much.

In 2018, I called off from work like every 3 or 4 months. Sometimes I was actually sick… sometimes I had to take care of something and needed to be away from the job… and sometimes I just needed a break from my job.

For 2019, I promised myself to not call off unless it was truly necessary. I managed to hang on until October so I don't feel that bad about calling off. HOWEVER… a part of me does feel guilty. I'm trying to shake off this feeling of guilt and shame from calling off. I know I'm a responsible adult and stuff and missing two days won't cause World War 3 but…. A part of me does have some regret. But another part of me is like, "You're not a slave. That job doesn't own you. It's okay. Relax". I got mixed emotions right now lol

On the positive side of things, I'm in this really nice hotel. I got a suite and MAN! This room is nice and comfy as heck! The bed is incredibly soft yet firm! It feels like…. Uhhh… never mind.

So, I wanna hear from ya'll! How often do you call off from work? Are you one of those people that call off a lot? Maybe you're one of those people who only call off for special reasons? Share!

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Since 2017. Well, it's a long break from work, guess I gotta look for new job soon. Thanks for a reminder.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I very very occasionally take mental health days when my anxiety or depression flare up too much, but mostly I only do it when I'm sick.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Almost never. I have over 100 hours of sick time saved up. (No monetary vamue)

I do try to take at least a week or two during the year to recharge or take a trip.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Not very often at all. Hardly ever, really, although I'm more likely to do it for bullshit reasons than because I'm legit sick.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I work from home most of the time, so if I'm sick I may cancel meetings or trips but I still tend to work. Unless I'm dying of flu or something, and even then I'm likely to take a few calls.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have 22 vacation days and 10 sick days a year and I can't carry over more than 40 vacation year to year so I tend to use all of them. Probably once every couple months I use a fake sick day, I actually have incentive to let the sick days pile up, when I retire they help defray my health insurance premium so I have like 20 of those now. Vacation days I use all of them usually during the year. Get 12 paid holidays as well so overall I don't feel like I need to call out for no reason. If piling up sick days had no value for me though I would 100% use all of them every year, that's what I did at my last job.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
3 days in the last 2 years.

Usually when i'm sick i stay in homeoffice for a day or two so i'm still working when i'm sick.

Jazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe once every 2 years or so? I get sick alot when I come back from vacation from another country so typically that;s my usually call out once every 2 years. Otherwise I don't. Waste of PTO if I don't need to do it.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Not often. I don't recall the last time I just took off work for no reason.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
I make sure I use all my sick days every year one way or another even if I have to bullshit something.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it standard practice in the US for sick days to be paid leave or are they unpaid? We get about 10 paid days a year too and I limit myself to when I feel sick.

They come massively in handy for my collegues that have either been in accidents or are dealing with mental health issues.

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
Not really in my nature to call out sick unless I'm really sick, which is like 3 times a year, or if I have to go to the doctor/dentist. However my job gives 20 sick days and everyone in my office abuses it, so sometimes I do give myself an extra vacation day. I do sometimes take mental health days also, but honestly it increases my productivity the following days

cyress8

Avenger
Whenever I need a break. I work 6 days a week and having only sunday off does not work for me sometimes.
I can work from home also, since I deal mainly with paperwork and ordering shit. Even if off, still get calls to help get something moving.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I run a business, even when i am bedridden i still work. The only time i don't work is when i sleep.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Whenever I need to, but I'm in higher education so there's no one to cover for me when I'm gone. It's just that much work when I get back. It's too much hassle to just blow off work because whatever. Only if I'm nearly dead, the kids are sick, or it's vacation planned way in advance b

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
Roughly 3 times a year on average and at least two of those times I'll actually be sick. Sometimes I have bad headaches though and retail is an avalanche of various noises so I'll call in sick if one's lasted a fair few days to cool off.

I'll only fake a sick call once a year though, if I really dread coming in to work that regularly then I need to quit and find a new job.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever i need it. I don't owe my employer anything.
This. We have set guidelines for how many days off sick we can have in a 6 month period without punishment. I get paid when I am off sick so I milk the system for every day. The CEO of the company I work for makes 6 mill a year so I don't give a flying fuck.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I call in when I'm actually feeling sick. Which is rare.

I don't even like my job, but I'm just not a person who does the whole calling in for no real reason thing.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Usually only when I'm sick, have a doctors appointment, and or an emergency.

Obviously a honor system although if you have actually sick time accumulated it's not like they can take those away . Also generally people won't care since they want the same leeway from their coworkers.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I take big trips so I save my PTO like its gold then I peace out for like 3 weeks at a time. Otherwise some serious shit needs to happen for me to take time off.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe once a quarter or so.

The nice thing about my job is they seem pretty laid back about PTO, so if it's a slow Friday, and I have the bulk of my work done, they have no issue if I want to leave a few hours early.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried a couple of times but things happening had to go in. So I've never successfully called in at my current job. I will work from home if I have something I think I can pass or restrict myself around people.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
UK here and the company I work for basically has unlimited sick pay as long as you don't abuse it.

If I'm feeling ill I take the day off, every now and again I'll take a day or two off for my own mental health to just relax.

I pretty much self manage my work load and it isn't shared with anyone else, it'll be waiting for me when I get back so it's not affecting anyone else.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Average about 3-4 times per year. I've got a young kid so illnesses happen fairly regularly in my family.

I've also got 30 vacation days per year so I use that sometimes when I'm feeling crummy but not symptomatic.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I used to call in 3-4 times a year strictly to have an impromptu day off, which are extremely nice to treat yourself with. Since I've been working from home the past 2 years, I have only called in once because I was so sick I couldn't even sit at my desk at home! While working at home, every day kind of feels like a day off so I don't feel the need to call in. Apparently, all my coworkers feel similarly because call in days are almost nonexistent now between us.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
Once every couple months or so I'll usually take a mental health day, but I won't do it if there's pressing matters to attend to. Sometimes I just need a day to take personal inventory and be depressed in bed or on the couch and get my head together.