• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I change whenever my phone gets too slow or enough compatibilities crop up. My first smartphone was a Galaxy S2 in 2011, and that lasted me until 2015, when I got a Galaxy S6, which I'm still rocking today. Got no reason to change yet.

Before smartphones, the only phone was a Nokia... I wanna say 1600. Got that as a Christmas gift the year it came out, IIRC.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
After 5 years of using an iPhone 5s I got an iPhone XS.

That's the cool thing about iPhones, they run great and last for a looong time. Could have used the 5s even longer, but it was time for a bigger screen. iPhones are expensive, yes, but extremely future-proof.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Every 3 to 4 years. Never before the phone is paid off. And it's usually only been after the charger port is fucked up.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Currently rocking an iPhoen XS Max, I usually upgrade every year and sell my hold phone to recoup most of the cost. Worth it to me, though I fully admit it's dumb.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I used to get one every 2 years but then the prices of iphones went silly so now I get my dad's hand me downs (I'm 36).

I currently have an iPhone 7. Hopefully he is upgrading next year so I'll get the Xs

On a tiny contract now too thanks to the hand me downs - I pay just £13 a month. I'd baulk at anything over £20 now.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
I'm on a Galaxy S7. Before this, it was every 2 years but I'm gonna keep this one until it becomes a pain to use every day.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
New iPhone every year. No reason not to upgrade since it's the same monthly payment.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I went from an iPhone 5s, to a Samsung Galaxy A8. So.. not much though the Google Pixel 3 is really tempting me. (I want a phone with a good camera that can be used at night.)

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
It used to be every two years but now I hold out as long as I can. I currently am on a Pixel 1 XL. I actually didn't even buy this one, Google replaced my Nexus 6P with the Pixel XL. I had planned on upgrading my 6P to the Pixel 3 XL but getting the Pixel XL pushed back my plans to upgrade for another year so possibly the Pixel 4 if it looks like a good phone.

I feel I could wait another year with the Pixel. I have zero issues with it but it is only 6 or so months old.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Every 18 months or so I tend to buy a new one. Currently a Galaxy s9 edge or plus whatever the higher model is called that I've had for a year I think.

I'll probably buy a new one in another 6 months or something, no real hard rule I just upgrade whenever I get bored of my current handset.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
New iPhone every year. It doesn't make sense not to upgrade.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Every 3-4 years, then I get a phone that is at least a gen old. I have an S8+ right now, which I got several months after the S9 came out and snagged it for like 450~~.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
When something gets too broken or slow. Last phone upgrade was cause my camera was inconsistent. One before was because it couldn't run Pokémon Go - which was a sign it was time.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
It used to be every two years but now I hold out as long as I can. I currently am on a Pixel 1 XL. I actually didn't even buy this one, Google replaced my Nexus 6P with the Pixel XL. I had planned on upgrading my 6P to the Pixel 3 XL but getting the Pixel XL pushed back my plans to upgrade for another year so possibly the Pixel 4 if it looks like a good phone.

I feel I could wait another year with the Pixel. I have zero issues with it but it is only 6 or so months old.
My issue with my Pixel XL was the battery life not being great, and the same goes for my Pixel 3 XL, I really hope Google don't chat breeze about how AI is going to solve this, put a larger battery in the Pixel 4 phones you idiots.

bagomagik

Jan 8, 2019
Moto G (2013)
Moto G5 Plus (2017)
And I just got a Google Pixel 3a XL this week. I would've held on to that G5 for another year at least but my dad's phone broke so I upgraded and gave him my old one. So far this Pixel is pretty nice.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
From the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 5, I bought a phone every two years. But with the iPhone 5, I used it from 2012-2018. Unlike the 3G and 4, I bought the 5 unlocked from Apple. Last August, I ended up getting an iPhone 8.

I used to care about getting bleeding edge stuff but after the near 6 years with the 5 made me not care as much anymore.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every other year for me. I buy my phones outright as well. Bought a Pixel XL back in 2016, and bought a Pixel 3 early this year. My next phone will probably be a Pixel 5 XL or something along those lines. Definitely getting to the point of diminishing returns though. I could see myself owning the Pixel 5 for 3-4 years.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
My last iphone lasted five years and finally upgraded this year because I wanted a faster chip. Was working perfectly when I traded it in.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I usually get a new phone every 2-3 years. I used to get them every 18 months or whenever I could, but since the last ~3-4 years, phones have been really stable and I don't need the newest model anymore. I had a GOogle Pixel XL for ... 3 years or so, and then updated to the Google Pixel 3 (non-XL) about 3 or 4 months ago. I'm able to wait for them to go on sale and trade in my old devices, where as a 5 years ago I had an inordinate need for the latest device as soon as it came out or I'd get this anxiety about my phone being obsolete soon.

Now I just don't care. I'll stick with this one for as long as it works.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Depends on battery life. I had OnePlus 3 for 3 years, got new Xiaomi Mi8 for 300€ this year. Can't see myself switching phone until battery is beyond broken, which will probably be next 2-3 years.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Every year or so. I was going to keep my OnePlus 6 for a while. but they chose me to be one of their lab reviewers and gave me a OnePlus 7 Pro, so I can't complain

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I have a XS Max and upgrade basically every year. Idk what to do with my money so fuck it. Switched to iPhone last year and like it a lot better than the Android devices I was running before.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to do every 1 - 1.5 years on average. Went iPhone 4 - iPhone 5 - iPhone 5s - iPhone 6s+ - iPhone SE - iPhone 7+ - iPhone 8 in like a 5-6 year period. Had the 8 for over a year now and have no plans on upgrading until it becomes unusable. I'll do a battery replacement sometime next year, but for now it runs great and I have no use for most of the features in the Xs.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I use an iPhone 6s+. I still love it. I love that it has force touch and a home button. If I had to get a new one I'd probably get an 8. Maybe they'll come out with something new that entices me, but I don't like the look of the X.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Still on a 6S. Used to upgrade more often but then switched to a SIM only contract and it's amazing how the allure of a new phone vanishes when you have to buy it outright. Plus the 6S is still going strong.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I get a new iPhone every two years from work, it's currently an 8. My personal phone is an S8+ that I'll upgrade when it stops working. It's held up much better than some of my previous phones which always seemed to crap out after 2 years.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got a Galaxy S8 and I will continue to use it as long as it/the battery works.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I try to hang on to them for 3 years or so. Basically long enough to pay it off and then have some time with a cheaper than normal phone bill.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Every 2-3 years I upgrade to a new mid-tier phone. Currently using the Essential Phone (that $299 Amazon deal was too good to pass up), before that I had the One Plus X.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
used to be all 6 months and then cooled it to once a year but honestly i think we solved phones and there's really no reason to upgrade anymore. everything is still blazing fast on my S8 and i will only upgrade once it dies.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I'm destitute, so I don't get "new" phones, unless my boyfriend gifts it to me. Current device is his old iPhone 6, which he was kind enough to give me a couple years ago when he upgraded to 7 (now on 9).

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8. I've had it since last September.
My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy S4. I had it for 4 years before it became virtually unusable.
My phone before that was an HTC Evo Shift 4G. It was a hand-me-down that I got rid of after a year due to its poor battery and small storage.
The one before that was a Sanyo VI 2300 flip phone. I had that for 7 years.
I don't know the model of the one I had before that, but it was my first cell phone, which I had for 3 years until our dog wound up chewing off the charger cable, and for some reason replacement cables wouldn't fit in.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
About every 4 years. I was tempted to upgrade from my iPhone 7 but I want USB-C and with a battery case my iPhone easily lasts all day even with heavy use.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Usually 2 - 3 years. My HTC 10 is now 2 1/2 but shows signs of dying and i just bought a new Xiaomi Mi 9 rather cheap (360 €) from Amazon. You can get them cheapter from Banggod, Gearvita and other China traders but if something happens, it's a pain in the ass.

Really nice phone, especially compared to a Samsung S10 and the price it goes for.

optimiss

May 17, 2018
Every 3-4 years.
  1. IPhone 3G
  2. Samsung Epic 4G (Galaxy S)
  3. Nexus 4
  4. OnePlus 3
Almost shelled out for the OnePlus 7 Pro but decided to wait one more year. Battery is on it's last legs though.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every 3 years or so, but my one plus 3t is still working like the day I got it so I feel like I'll wait another year or two. Don't really see a reason to upgrade.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every 2-4 years, and I just get whatever is cheapest or free or whatever. About due for a change actually - was thinking about picking up a cheap Chinese phone but I figure that's probably not a great idea at this point. So I'll try and find something else under $200. Maybe wait until Black Friday.

Almost never? It's been...12 years since I last got a new phone. I had a flip phone for years, then when I got married my husband insisted I take his old iphone. After that one got smashed a few years later, then I got his other hand-me-down. After this one becomes unusable I might go back to a flip phone if I can find one.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think it's an iPhone 5, but maybe a 4 I can't tell the difference. Only use it as a telephone so no intention to upgrade..... ever! lol