• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How often do you play video games without distractions?

• I always play without a distraction

Votes: 539 48.3%
  • I sometimes play with a distraction

Votes: 491 44.0%
  • I always play with a distraction

Votes: 87 7.8%

• Total voters
Dec 2, 2017
When I say just play video games, I mean play without constantly checking your phone, listening to a podcast, watching a tv show, whatever. Cos it's something I'm trying to do more of recently, which getting a gaming headset has really helped with.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
all the time.
unless the game has too many cutscenes in which case i pop out the phone

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
All the time. I sat and played through the entirety of Sonic 1 last night only stopping to pee. No ones texting me anyway.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I always do. For me, gaming is one of the few things I can do without checking my phone anxiously all the time.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know why I'd be constantly checking my phone if I wanted to play a game, and I've never understood why people play games and watching TV simultaneously, I guess the idea is that two boring things that can't hold your attention at the same time somehow become worthwhile?, but I definitely listen to podcasts or music while playing games pretty often.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Several years ago I decided that if a game wasn't holding my interest without something else to held out, I probably shouldn't be spending time on that game.

I won't say I hold to that 100%, but I think it's safe to say 95% of the time I am focused on a game and only the game while playing.

*edit* strangely I'm most likely to look at my phone quickly during cutscenes, less interested in story details as time goes on

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually stopping to check discord/twitter/ERA like every 45 minutes if I'm in front of my screens at home. If a game captivates me to do multiple hours without checking in on social media its a miracle tbh.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Don't have a phone, never listened to a podcast, don't have cable/streaming soooo~ I'm basically never not "just playing" while gaming.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Depends on what I'm doing in the game. I might have a sport or YouTube video in the background if I'm grinding levels in an RPG or doing cleanup work on a 100% run of a game.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
It depends. I'm a big game multitasker if it doesn't require my full attention (animal crossing or doing the boring parts of a sidequest I usually have tv or a podcast going on in the background).
Story based stuff I am better at, but still tend to check my phone ever once in a while unless I'm REALLY into it—Usually when shit is popping off in the game.

Don't have a phone, never listened to a podcast, don't have cable/streaming soooo~ I'm basically never not "just playing" while gaming.

You don't have a phone period? Or you don't have a smart phone or??? I'm just curious figured phones were basically like a necessity in 2020 and conceptually can't get my head around this lol

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. Single-player, story-heavy game that I'm going through for the first time? No distractions. At most I might occasionally glance at my phone during loading screens.

Doing some dailies for the 50th time in some GaaS game or MMO? Probably have external music going, may alt-tab or check my phone frequently.

I generally don't watch shows or anything while playing games, though. I'm not good at treating shows as "just background noise" and I will get distracted to the point that I'm focusing more on the show than the game.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
If I'm playing a narrative focused game or a skill-intensive game, I'm playing with no distractions, no one around me, headphones on, and in this position:
gaming.png

If I'm playing a GAAS title, or some game where I'm grinding or has too many loading screens, I'm laying on the couch with my phone next to me watching videos or listening to podcasts.

Right now, I would say the ratio is 70/30, in favor of no distraction gaming.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
If I'm playing a game for the first time I always aim to play without distractions so I can give it my full attention. Replays and certain kinda games (think Monster Hunter), I'll play with background music, twitch, or a movie.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Everything I do I lose my focus quickly, with video games is no different, which is why I have been playing more multiplayer games lately, since there is not much room for distraction.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
All the time.

Do people really watch TV shows while playing video games, how do you pay attention to both? I get annoyed if I have to pause a film for whatever reason.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Only late at night can I do this.

Otherwise my wife and dog may distract me, which is fine... they don't constantly distract me, but I don't want to fully lose myself in a game because I want to be available for them. Once they are asleep I do go full immersion mode for an hour or two.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
You don't have a phone period? Or you don't have a smart phone or??? I'm just curious figured phones were basically like a necessity in 2020 and conceptually can't get my head around this lol
I gots a landline home phone just not a cell/mobile/smart/whatever they're branded as these days phone. Most of the calls I get are fake phone calls anyways so I've more or less given up on answering it unless its pretty obviously a real person I know calling/hanging up/calling right back trying ta get ahold of me.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I treat playing games in an obsessive ritualistic manner where I have to fully immerse myself.

I recently played some Time Crisis while having headphones to music from my phone, but that was an exception to the rule and because of the arcadey repeat nature of the game it makes sense.

Kientin

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I got a one track mind. Only can focus on one thing at once.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I can't play a game if I can't give it nearly all my attention, so I'm always "just" playing.

As a corollary, I don't do mobile gaming at all.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hum, always 🤔 I only check perhaps my phone if the loading is taking too long. That's it.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
In general though I only check my phone during long loading screens or to look things up. So the less loading a game has, the less distracted I will be.

It helps that my PS4 and laptop are hooked up to the same monitor, and switching between channels is too much of a hassle to do willy-nilly. I also don't have a television in this room, so my phone is really the only thing here that can distract me.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always checking my phone or on my computer. It's one reason I dont actually play that many games because I find myself getting so distracted.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Almost never. My room is set up in a way that my computer chair is also my tv watching chair, so I'm always on my PC when gaming. I don't listen to other stuff--like music or podcasts or whatever--when I play, though, just the game.

Crax

May 21, 2018
I'll listen to music, podcasts or audiobooks while playing if the game "allows" it.
Back when I played CoD I would always listen to music while playing casual multiplayer. And games like Minecraft or games I've already played are excellent for podcasts and audiobooks.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
It mostly depends on the game.

If the game has a lot of downtime i usually have have something open on my PC or phone. For example getting from point A to point B in Red Dead Redemption 2 can take a while so i would simply engage the cinematic camera and watch stuff on youtube.
It's most likely to happen in open world games.

But in normal gameplay i prefer to stay focused on the game.
Started Shadows of the Damned today and in 3 hours of play i only got on my phone once to reply to a message.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
It depends. I usually don't check my phone or anything while I am playing, but games these days especially on consoles have very long load times sometimes so I will check my phone while a game loads. Especially during multiplayer games where there is downtime between matches. Also, my time to play games is usually while my wife is making dinner or while she is sleeping in on the weekends so during dinner prep time I will often pause a game I'm playing to do something real quick if she needs something.

Crotin

May 6, 2018
My distractions have gone up as I've gotten older. I was super into RPGs and completely focused, now I usually play a dungeon crawler or anything I can play to chill while watching videos on the other monitors. The gaming headset doesn't help much since all of the audio is from the same source, but I guess it could help on console

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I usually multitask but with podcasts, movies or series that I have already seen. I like to have someone talking in the background.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
If I'm playing, I'm either playing Fortnite where it requires my attention, or a story-driven game that requires my attention.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
For some roguelikes, I'll cut the game sound and just listen to an album to chill after work. But out of that, I always "play the game". I don't like to do several things at once.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
For some reason I always wind up playing games with something else playing in the background. Back before twitch I'd almost always have netflix or youtube Let's Plays on my pc or tablet while I was playing on my consoles.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I chose always without distractions, but I'll put on music/podcasts for turn-based multiplayer games or absolutely mindless games where I'm just grinding or going through the motions.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I almost always play games 100% without distractions because I like to be focused and immersed. Whenever I'm doing intense grinding or whatever I will listen to a podcast or some YouTube video on the side, but for the most part I like to dedicate 100% of my attention to the game and this also applies to movies and TV and such also.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
My time is at a premium these days, so when I get the chance to spend it doing something I enjoy - like gaming - I do it exclusively.