• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
The 2020 Amex Trendex found that more than 48 per cent of responders feel "anxious and stressed" at the thought of not being able to travel abroad this year

my.asiatatler.com

How Not Being Able To Travel Affects Mental Health

The 2020 Amex Trendex found that more than 48 per cent of responders feel “anxious and stressed” at the thought of not being able to travel abroad this year.
If you're feeling anxious or stressed out about having to skip your annual holidays, it turns out that may be a completely normal reaction to the worldwide travel restrictions.

According to the recent Amex Trendex, a trend report facilitated by American Express, nearly half of the general population believes that not being able to travel this year is making them feel both anxious and stressed, with 78 per cent of responders admitting that travelling is among the top activities they miss the most right now.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I know you were quoting from the article, but it's not based on the general population. This is why it's important to look to primary sources:

"This online poll was conducted by Morning Consult between July 21 and July 23, 2020 among a national sample of 2,000 general population travelers with a household income of at least $70K, and defined as adults who traveled by air at least once in 2019."

That is not representative of the general population, it just uses the term "general population".

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know you were quoting from the article, but it's not based on the general population. This is why it's important to look to primary sources:

"This online poll was conducted by Morning Consult between July 21 and July 23, 2020 among a national sample of 2,000 general population travelers with a household income of at least $70K, and defined as adults who traveled by air at least once in 2019."

That is not representative of the general population, it just uses the term "general population".
I was going to say that I can't travel normally anyway, much less now.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Travelling abroad would be nice, but I'll take just going to a friend's for dinner and board games. I haven't had anyone to my place, or been to anyone else's place, since february. Outdoor hangouts are great, but not the same

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been taking about 1 day every 2 months to just go for a long drive up in the mountains. it's always very refreshing.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
We travel so much, and yeah its a major bummer what's going on right now. That data is funky though.

All we did this year was Mardi Gras in New Orleans, as a half work trip half leisure thing.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Rich people getting depressed for their temporary inability to do rich people things. No shit.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
"Households making at least 70k a year"

I feel like this falls into the first world problems category while a pandemic is going on.

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I'm in between 50-100 flights a year for work or leisure. The greater good of keeping people healthy and safe by not traveling is so much more important than our own individual wants and needs.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
I've never had the time or money to travel so the pandemic hasn't really bothered me at all.

Oct 27, 2017
People need to get to fuck over themselves. Frustrated at not being able to travel abroad, sure. "Anxious and stressed"? What bullshit.

This is even more ridiculous given that the article is talking about the US, where you'd have loads of options to travel to already without having to go "abroad".

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be 27 in November, and I have never traveled in my life.

I'm dying to get out there and see the world. I was planning to visit my best friend in Uruguay before my family had a financial issue.

The bummer is, now that I make enough to travel, work won't let me take the time I need for a proper trip. Even asking for a single day off is like pulling teeth.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These poor rich people 😔

maybe they'll have to develop an actual interest and personality now

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I've never had the time or money to travel so the pandemic hasn't really bothered me at all.

This.

Never had enough to actually go abroad. Family were poor when I was a kid so never travelled (I mean, they are still poor now so still can't travel).

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah not being able to travel sucks.

Travel is amazing for you mental health, wellbeing and emotional intelligence. Asorbing new cultures, sights and situations you otherwise never expereince otherwise gives you a much bigger perspective on life.
Honestly if you have never travelled, you are probably very boring.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
People who enjoy traveling and normally do so often, not being able to travel is of course, going to make them have negative feelings.

But yeah.. this is a survey conducted by a company that directly financially benefits from people traveling.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Traveling really is the last thing on my mind when the thing I miss the most about not being in lockdown is meeting people, and dating.

Traveling is one thing, but how about straight up isolation?

Uhh, traveling is an interest? JFC what's with all the negativity in this thread?
It's pretty hard to feel anything for people that want to travel when EVERYONE is isolated, and baser concerns are not being met.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Yup. It always confuses me how often people leave the country or just go on vacations, then I remember a lot of people just have a constant flow of disposable income.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely miss traveling this year. Even mundane outdoorsy trips I've been avoiding because all of those places seem overcrowded since everyone has the same idea.

And good lord at the jerks in this thread hating on the people who travel. 70K household income is not rich. This isn't some 1% hobby that we're lording over the unfortunates.

Evo Shandor

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of people have never been able to travel. When I was in high school, I would listen to my classmates talk about where they would be 'summering' overseas and my parents couldn't afford to travel within the province, let alone around the world. I would listen to them and feel poor, small, and uncultured.

It's really important to keep this in mind when you discuss the importance of travel (which I feel it is very important). It ultimately is a luxury most cannot afford.

Avalt

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, in all my years of life I never had a vacation outside the country. Must be nice to have a large income and a lot of paid vacation days.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I definitely miss traveling this year. Even mundane outdoorsy trips I've been avoiding because all of those places seem overcrowded since everyone has the same idea.

And good lord at the jerks in this thread hating on the people who travel. 70K household income is not rich. This isn't some 1% hobby that we're lording over the unfortunates.
Dude, some people don't ever get to travel. Are you really surprised when people push back, even if you're not the creme de la creme? To some, you are exactly that.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Travel is amazing for you mental health, wellbeing and emotional intelligence. Asorbing new cultures, sights and situations you otherwise never expereince otherwise gives you a much bigger perspective on life.
That last sentence is just as bad as people saying anyone who travels is just a rich person with first world problems lol.

and as always, income disparity will never not be interesting to see in these threads. 70k not being rich? Man that's still slightly above what four of us working under one roof make in a year. I'm not going to argue about what's rich, what's poor, but it greatly varies on where you live as well as a number of other circumstances.

edit: okay wait brain broke, forgetting the fourth person just started this year and my numbers were still operating off three. That said, it's something like 75k now with four incomes.

Last edited:

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, some people don't ever get to travel. Are you really surprised when people push back, even if you're not the creme de la creme? To some, you are exactly that.
So you should just hate anyone who gets ANY luxury you don't have? I never got an xbox one this gen, so fuck everyone else who did, right? I've never bought a pair of sneakers that cost more than 70 bucks, so anyone with some Jordans is an entitled asshole, right?

This is how the rich get away with so much stupid shit. Fools are sniping at people one step up the ladder from you while the real problem is pissing down on all of us from the top of it.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

This reeks of elitism to a toxic degree.

Evo Shandor

Oct 29, 2017
I don't want the OP to feel like I'm dogpiling on them. I do believe that travel is important and life-changing. I wasn't able to do so until later in life and it is amazing. It has positively affected my mental health.

But I always remember how others talked about it when I couldn't so I always try to be mindful of it. Especially now, when many are without jobs or health care coverage.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Mental health is definitely important but uhh there are people facing very real problems right now. Like it's understandable that the reaction to this is negative. That's completely valid.

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
Yeah not being able to travel does suck but keeping people safe and healthy is a higher priority. I would have gone to Spain and Hawaii this year already if covid wasn't a thing.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
These poor rich people 😔

maybe they'll have to develop an actual interest and personality now
Hahaha

For real though, not being able to travel is an inconvenience - not a trauma that should send you spiralling.

Frankly, the planet could do with a break from pollution caused by the pathological need to gram everything the moment you step off a plane.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks because it means not seeing some of my best friends when I need them the most.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017

What a load of bollocks. I didn't travel for the first 25 years of my life, flat out couldn't afford to. Had plenty of other interests though. Now I travel multiple times a year, but it sure as shit doesn't make me any more interesting a person... just more well travelled.

Saying "if you've never travelled you're probably boring" is as stupid as saying "most gamers are antisocial loners who live in their parents basements".

On the topic of the OP... I don't have a great deal of sympathy. There are other outlets to deal with stress than travel, it's a case of adapting to what we have to deal with now.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The privilege on display here lol