• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
That's another thing I'm not getting. Nintendo stopped one event due to use of a piece of mod software which also allows for people to use ROMs, which is well within their right, but people are acting like they're banning all future events featuring Melee when nothing indicates that.

I just want to understand what's going on really.

The concern is that TBH won't be the only tournament they shut down, since the reasoning for that tournament could apply to any tournament between now and the end of COVID. We're making noise now to try and disincentivize them from making it a habit (if we succeed we will no doubt hear from people saying we made a big deal out of nothing, of course). That's basically it.

This thread should highlight why we're concerned about Nintendo making it a habit, and EVO 2013 should highlight why we have hope that making a lot of noise on social media will pressure them to change their tune.

If we wait for them to confirm they're cancelling more tournaments, it's already too late.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017

This is definitely a problem the community has, and I'm glad these people are getting exposed and removed entirely.

That said, this has nothing to do with Nintendo's willingness to run a circuit or support events, or even just leave events alone. They've been doing this for literally over a decade, well before any accusations were leveled, and invited a lot of those same people on that list to their invitationals so it's not like they were sweating it at any point when they had a game to sell.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
From what I understand Slippi is an emulator and doesn't touch the game code.

Considering what it does, that seems very unlikely...
Straight emulation basically means no changes and playing exactly as the original software intended.

It does but it's game genie-style modification which has been tested in court and it's legal

plus emulator magic

Yeah, this makes more sense.
And even if it is legal in specific use-cases, the issue is that it is now an open platform that can completely bypass Nintendo's supervision and lotchecks, etc.

It's all fun and games until someone on the team changes Mario's win pose to be a nazi salute.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
And unfortunately for the Smash community, what happened this summer strained them to the point that they don't have too many allies or sympathizers in the gaming community even if many people agree Nintendo is being jackass.
We were in that position before this summer. Melee threads on this forum (and the old forum going back for as long as I've been a member of either) have always been a shitshow, for example.

Furthermore, the allegations that came out over the summer didn't even register on Nintendo's radar. Of course, this is probably because some of the most prominent people involved in these allegations are people Nintendo has worked with in the past when they wanted to sell a game.

Yeah, this makes more sense.
And even if it is legal in specific use-cases, the issue is that it is now an open platform that can completely bypass Nintendo's supervision and lotchecks, etc.

It's all fun and games until someone on the team changes Mario's win pose to be a nazi salute.
Slippi doesn't directly interact with the game's code at all. It cannot independently be used to modify any art or any aspect of the gameplay or... anything, really. That it is often packed with a series of mods that do have this capability is worth noting but at the end of the day slippi is none of these things and Nintendo has exactly zero valid claims against it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
We were in that position before this summer. Melee threads on this forum (and the old forum going back for as long as I've been a member of either) have always been a shitshow, for example.

Furthermore, the allegations that came out over the summer didn't even register on Nintendo's radar. Of course, this is probably because some of the most prominent people involved in these allegations are people Nintendo has worked with in the past when they wanted to sell a game.

Slippi doesn't directly interact with the game's code at all. It cannot independently be used to modify any art or any aspect of the gameplay or... anything, really. That it is often packed with a series of mods that do have this capability is worth noting but at the end of the day slippi is none of these things and Nintendo has exactly zero valid claims against it.
Doesn't Nintendo's EULA prohibit use of external hardware/software to get a game to perform outside its intended parameters?

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
I believe emulation is fine if it is for private use and non commercial gain. Which a tournament with a prize pool is neither.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

I was going to comment on that aspect, but left it out since it felt like kicking a dog. But since you brought it up, yeah, the Smash community wasn't that well-liked for various reasons, justifiable or not, and the Smash community itself is broken up into groups that don't really like each, which was especially bad during the Melee vs Brawl days. However, for the most part, when Nintendo acted really bad these communities usually got together like the backlash of 2013. However, the fallout of the summer really made the gaming community hate the Smash community, which is part of the reason we don't see the same level of backlash with Nintendo's C&Ds that we would have seen probably just a couple of years ago.

As for didn't even register on Nintendo's radar, I am sure part of that is because Nintendo didn't keep a close enough eye on the community to know how bad things were. That is the double-edge sword of wanting to used the community once and while to promote your game, but not being active in the community itself to know the individuals who run it. This is something Subway learned the hard way with Jared.

MrBreada

Mar 13, 2018
Doesn't Nintendo's EULA prohibit use of external hardware/software to get a game to perform outside its intended parameters?

Indeed. However, Nintendo's End-User License Agreement is not law. Nintendo cannot use it as basis for doing a C&D. If soneone were to violate the EULA on a modern Nintendo console, they'd be banned. With that being said, I don't think it's grounds for them to silence tournaments. EULA wasn't even the reason why Nintendo C&D'd the big house. It was, rather, concerns about piracy. Modding is merely against the EULA, piracy is outright illegal.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I think some of you you are attrubiting a sort of morals to a business that it itself doesn't really care for.

I think the reality is , Nintendo wants to be Disney jr and control how you ingest their content. They are more than willing to use to help sell games. But its very clear they don't want anything to do with something they can't really control the growth of. Especially in situations where they can retroactively make old games playable again by adding netcode to them. A practice that Nintendo likely doesn't have an interest in because of emulation that essentially " Unvaults " the products they want to vault to control how you play them. ( along with whatever personal biases whoever making some of these decisions may have)

If I were to give the smash community any advice, as grim as this is, find another fighting game to play. There is no winning with a disney like company without literal legislation. Save smash isn't going to help. Play other games, make other smash type games support those. ( That LoL fighter should have been a smash like tbh) But it very much seems like nintendo has draw its like in the sand and the line is " Disney time"

MrBreada

Mar 13, 2018
I believe emulation is fine if it is for private use and non commercial gain. Which a tournament with a prize pool is neither.
I feel differently. Piracy, I'm on the same page as you. Normally, I'd be in favor of the game in as vanilla and legitimate a form as possible, but some games unfortunately can't be played that way due to the pandemic.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
This is definitely a problem the community has, and I'm glad these people are getting exposed and removed entirely.

That said, this has nothing to do with Nintendo's willingness to run a circuit or support events, or even just leave events alone. They've been doing this for literally over a decade, well before any accusations were leveled, and invited a lot of those same people on that list to their invitationals so it's not like they were sweating it at any point when they had a game to sell.
They need to rebuild before Nintendo or Me personally will start giving a fuck. There are plenty of players that aren't on that list that vouched or shielded them from much needed criticism because they are friends. It will take years for me to take their concerns seriously.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

That seems like you are getting into some sort of honor system where such things are possible, but the team aren't currently doing it and promise not to in the future.
I imagine you can see why that would not be okay for a company dealing with IPs and characters worth billions of dollars.

I understand that slippi is not going in and actually changing the gameplay and such, as that is part of its selling point as a 100% legitimate version of the game everyone loves, but the truth is that the door is still open to other mods and adjustments if someone were so inclined.
That is just the nature of emulation. Most Neo Geo emulators don't do anything like that out of the box, but that doesn't stop the existence of fan hacks of popular KOF games.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Too anxious to type up much myself, but thank you both for trying to educate people in this thread.

Well shut me up and butter my biscuits. That's a fucking list and then some.

Literally have never seen a compilation like this. Thank you
I'm glad that this list has been posted because it highlights some really important things.

There's a few things to understand about that list, that the list actually puts at the top of itself:
1. These are all "claims", but they are claims of very widely varying magnitude. From far-reaching patterns of sexual abuse to someone drunkenly hitting on someone. It's only going to be callous to label them all in such a way.
2. These are all claims, and some have even been removed. We'll probably never know why they were removed. And as they're claims, only a few of these cases has resulted in the accused taking any action.
3. And lastly, although the list is supposed to be "Smash players only", this list has people with very widely differing attachments to the scene. From people who attended a smash tournament once, to Mr. Wiz (Which is kinda weird, but only if people misuse the context of this list).

Smash (And a bit of random FGC and other internet communities) had a bit of a MeToo earlier this year, and many widely-known and prominent members of the Ultimate and Melee communities began racking up some stories. I can't recap all of it in simple words so if you really want to know more you're going to have to read it all for yourself.

So with all of that said I'd like to present a few judgement calls.

1. You need an environment that facilitates listening and understanding for people to be comfortable coming forward. Some of these accusations were not small or simple one-off things. I know that Betty (in the quote above) labelled that as toxic, but I'd urge you to consider that being able to safely and seriously be listened to is a benefit. That's not to say that the Smash community did that cultivating per se, it's probably more complex, with the actual MeToo movement and other things being factors.
2. As stated before, the claims are wide-ranging in both severity, type, and engagement with Smash. To make conclusions about the smash community based on some of these accusations and incidents is strange, especially when the vast majority involve people who only met one another because of smash. As stated by others, the majority of these incidents didn't occur at smash tournaments at all.
3. Nintendo's involvement in Melee specifically, and their involvement with the Smash community, even before this "Smash MeToo" has a history which has already been detailed by other people. To sum it up, I agree that Nintendo likes to do things their way, and really prefers something that they control, even if it's to the detriment of certain factors. People who don't know much about the scene are conflating things incorrectly, and it's leading to some really strange and some even outdated takes. Fugu puts it better than I can.
I'm not "questioning" it because questioning would imply that there is a second way to interpret what's going on here. I'll say it again for the people in the back: Stop exploiting sexual assault victims to advance your narrative about the Smash community. It's childish and, above all, disgusting.

Some high profile Ultimate players rightfully had their careers ended this summer because they did some incredibly shitty things, true. What does that have to do with the huge percentage of the community - including almost the entire Melee community, which had close to nothing to do with the allegations that came out over the summer - that didn't? It would be like coming into a thread about film and saying "I can't believe y'all still watch movies after Roman Polanski raped that girl". You're not standing up for the victims, you're co-opting someone's personal tragedy to criticize a huge and diverse community.
4. This scene has existed for a long time, specifically the Melee scene. A lot of things can happen in the 19 years since Melee was released. This is not to excuse anything, or try to divert discussion away from what the smash scene has done poorly. But these things don't come out of the blue, especially when it comes to people not bringing issues to light and people getting to know one another and being exposed to whole new groups of people.
5. Many of those people are younger, and if my data is right, smash also attracts many women as well. In my opinion, smash was always going to have a larger responsibility to its players to create a space where these kinds of incidents could not occur, and should they occur, provide a good space for people to come forwards about them. As Brainfreeze showed in their post, many community figureheads took this movement VERY seriously. They didn't shy away from things, and they encouraged people to speak up.
6. As such, many of the people, even very high-profile people who had credible accusations about them, have been removed from the scene. There's still work to do, and Nintendo likely has strong opinions about its image, but this was largely a group (again) that tried to have everything come out. Which leads to my last point...
7. Do not make the very dangerous assumption that these things have not happened or are not happening in other communities, gaming or otherwise. It is not good that these things happened, but it's very important that people were able to come forward. They might not all get the resolution that they want/need, they may not all get justice, but it has been a big sweeping change. Because there is no MeToo for other communities (Even those of similar size), do not assume it's because Smash has some magical toxicity that is inherent to it. Sexual abuse/assault is not new, and even though great strides have been made in many social spaces in the past few years, there are still people who have endured things which they have not come forwards about for whatever reason.

Sorry for wall of text, please correct me if I got any info wrong or if you just want to respond to something. And I know this is more related to the smash MeToo than Nintendo, but I think it's very important for people to understand more about this so that there can be better discussion regarding Smash, Nintendo, and other scenes.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Right? It is very very difficult to muster any sort of sympathy for what is constantly brought up as one of the most toxic gaming communities out there.
Exactly. Gross is the word. I dipped my toes in that scene and was at the same cons as the horrifying stories that have been exposed like rape and constant gaslighting. It really made me sick reading it. I wish their community the best but they don't have a leg to stand on atm.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
That seems like you are getting into some sort of honor system where such things are possible, but the team aren't currently doing it and promise not to in the future.
I imagine you can see why that would not be okay for a company dealing with IPs and characters worth billions of dollars.

I understand that slippi is not going in and actually changing the gameplay and such, as that is part of its selling point as a 100% legitimate version of the game everyone loves, but the truth is that the door is still open to other mods and adjustments if someone were so inclined.
That is just the nature of emulation. Most Neo Geo emulators don't do anything like that out of the box, but that doesn't stop the existence of fan hacks of popular KOF games.
You misunderstand. The ability to mod Melee and put whatever the hell you want in it has existed for a very long time. Slippi has nothing to do with that, and in fact to use slippi for its intended purpose requires you to have a sanctioned version of the iso anyway.

I cannot emphasize enough that slippi is a fork of Dolphin and not a mod to Melee. It is, like some other forks of Dolphin, purpose-built for Melee, but it is not a mod of Melee.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
I feel differently. Piracy, I'm on the same page as you. Normally, I'd be in favor of the game in as vanilla and legitimate a form as possible, but some games unfortunately can't be played that way due to the pandemic.

Ah sorry what I meant to say was that was by law allowed. Not how I feel about it. That said....

That's another thing I'm not getting. Nintendo stopped one event due to use of a piece of mod software which also allows for people to use ROMs, which is well within their right, but people are acting like they're banning all future events featuring Melee when nothing indicates that.

I just want to understand what's going on really.

It seems to me like a lot of confirmation bias. "Prominent" figures in the Pokémon community corroborated a lot of the BS that spread last year and I'm still dealing with people who believe it. I learned a long time ago to not take things at face value and certainly not to trust random things that crop up and just so happen to match the current narrative

I am in a similar stance here. I am like it is just one tournament right? Summit wasnt cancelled and was allowed. I truly believe they went for Big House because they used to have a closer partnership with it.

That said it would be great if Nintendo cuold work together with Slippi or with the TO's to make it bigger. But with what happened six months ago I doubt it. Unless leadship within Nintendo changes to a much younger generation.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Melee players haul CRT monitors to events (ask my SO how many CRTs I own), pay the increasingly exorbitant prices for legitimate copies of the game, and have developed a considerable amount of resources to deal with the dwindling stock of first party Gamecube controllers. They're only running tournaments on emulator now because they absolutely have to.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You misunderstand. The ability to mod Melee and put whatever the hell you want in it has existed for a very long time. Slippi has nothing to do with that, and in fact to use slippi for its intended purpose requires you to have a sanctioned version of the iso anyway.

I cannot emphasize enough that slippi is a fork of Dolphin and not a mod to Melee. It is, like some other forks of Dolphin, purpose-built for Melee, but it is not a mod of Melee.

No, I completely understand what you are saying. My point is and always has been that it is Nintendo's closed ecosystem vs. an open ecosystem.
Like you say that it needs a sanctioned version of the iso, but who is deciding what works and doesn't? If it's someone outside of Nintendo then that is not something they are going to allow for obvious reasons.

Nintendo (and every other platform holder) has a very specific submission and certification process that this emulator/mod completely bypasses.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
They need to rebuild before Nintendo or I start giving a fuck. There are plenty of players that aren't on that list that vouched or shielded them from much needed criticism because they are friends. It will take years for me to take their concerns seriously.

Well, the point of my post was that people that are pointing to sexual abuse scandals as the reason Nintendo is being awful are ill informed because it simply doesn't fit the timeline of events.

Not sure what the criteria for you, personally, to start taking multiple Smash scenes seriously has to do with anything.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I'm not "questioning" it because questioning would imply that there is a second way to interpret what's going on here. I'll say it again for the people in the back: Stop exploiting sexual assault victims to advance your narrative about the Smash community. It's childish and, above all, disgusting.

Some high profile Ultimate players rightfully had their careers ended this summer because they did some incredibly shitty things, true. What does that have to do with the huge percentage of the community - including almost the entire Melee community, which had close to nothing to do with the allegations that came out over the summer - that didn't? It would be like coming into a thread about film and saying "I can't believe y'all still watch movies after Roman Polanski raped that girl". You're not standing up for the victims, you're co-opting someone's personal tragedy to criticize a huge and diverse community.
the community that *still includes* those victims, i have to reiterate just how inane and thoughtless those wide-sweeping driveby posts are
These two quotes pretty much summarize what I feel about this thread. As someone who spent weeks trying to get the word out on other websites about the awful abusers in the Smash community it's disgusting that people act like this about the community that has pushed out a lot of those abusers and a community that the victims of those awful things are still a part.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
No, I completely understand what you are saying. My point is and always has been that it is Nintendo's closed ecosystem vs. an open ecosystem.
Like you say that it needs a sanctioned version of the iso, but who is deciding what works and doesn't? If it's someone outside of Nintendo then that is not something they are going to allow for obvious reasons.

Nintendo (and every other platform holder) has a very specific submission and certification process that this emulator/mod completely bypasses.
If your point is about closed versus open ecosystems I'm really not sure what this has to do with slippi since it's just a fork of an emulator. Nintendo is living in a fantasy land if they're expecting nobody to make mods for their almost 20 year old game.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I think this has more to do with that Nintendo probably is internally a mess when it comes to communication between Nintendo, their subsidiaries like Nintendo of America and partners. There is propably only a indirect disscussion regarding smash between the marketing team of NCL, Nintendo of America and developers like Sakurai. They have a big middle management and probably to many people who have to decide or discuss things like this. They changed a bit the structure in recent years, but they still act really slow/conservative to almost anything regarding their properties. Not only Smash.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Melee is dead until the pandemic is over, unless you do super small under the radar tournaments. Unless the community is willing to challenge Nintendo in court about the use of Slippi, it really doesn't matter how Nintendo has treated the scene over the past 15 years.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Melee is dead until the pandemic is over, unless you do super small under the radar tournaments. Unless the community is willing to challenge Nintendo in court about the use of Slippi, it really doesn't matter how Nintendo has treated the scene over the past 15 years.
We had an event with 55 000 viewers yesterday on slippi. Nintendo can pound sand.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Well, the point of my post was that people that are pointing to sexual abuse scandals as the reason Nintendo is being awful are ill informed because it simply doesn't fit the timeline of events.

Not sure what the criteria for you, personally, to start taking multiple Smash scenes seriously has to do with anything.
Oh I get your point but frankly they deserve it. Some real monsters in those groups and I won't pretend to care that business Nintendo used it as an excuse to further distant themselves from them in a pattern of not supporting e sports.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I get your point but frankly they deserve it. Some real monsters in those groups and I won't pretend to care that business Nintendo used it as an excuse to further distant themselves from them in a pattern of not supporting e sports.
What did I do to deserve this, exactly? Please - be specific.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If your point is about closed versus open ecosystems I'm really not sure what this has to do with slippi since it's just a fork of an emulator. Nintendo is living in a fantasy land if they're expecting nobody to make mods for their almost 20 year old game.

It isn't a discussion specifically about slippi, but just an issue that slippi and every other emulated product will run into if they are looking to run official or semi-official events with cash payouts, donations, sponsors, advertising, etc.

This was specifically brought up because someone was basically comparing the parsec MVC3 tournament today with Slippi.
However, parsec is not in the same grey area as it is basically someone just running the steam version on a cloud PC. At least, as far as I understand.
The game being on PC still means that mods and such are possible, but because it is still on a closed ecosystem at the very least Capcom could probably go in and block/remove mods (as they have done in the past with netcode mods) if something problematic happened.

In the case of an emulated work, there is no way for the IP holder to control the content directly.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Apart from making some references in their PR material, I very much doubt Nintendo has any interest in esports. The competition is pretty inimical to their playful brand.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
We had an event with 55 000 viewers yesterday on slippi. Nintendo can pound sand.
I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but I just think it's callous to be making such wide-sweeping judgements on a scene that's essentially existed for 19 years. (At other posts in the thread obviously, not at you Fugu)
Especially when some people proved that they didn't know Nintendo has been doing this song and dance for literal years before the Smash MeToo stuff happened.

Also I'm pretty sure the thread yesterday was also going on at the literal exact moment Smash Summit 10 was going on, I was hopping between that and the thread.

People don't have to like the smash scene but man, at least refrain from hyperbolic drive-by posts if you don't even know what happened in the incidents you're using to "prove" its toxicity.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Which is like half the viewers the big house 9 had for it's melee finals correct? I'm glad you agree with me then on (relatively) under the radar tournaments still happening. The melee community grew in those kinds of tournaments so yall just keep doing you.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from making some references in their PR material, I very much doubt Nintendo has any interest in esports. The competition is pretty inimical to their playful brand.

Its always been there when it suits them as a way to advertise products.

They have run stream advertisements non stop in any event they put their name on for Smash.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm having a really hard time over here caring for a community that's so swamped in scandals, toxicity, horrible behavior and general assholery. From what I'm gathering off multiple Smash community news here on Era, that alone would be reason alone for me, personally, to side with Nintendo on this one and stay as far away from those people as possible.

In regards to Nintendos obliviousness before all of this shit came out, I'm pretty sure Nintendo just honestly doesn't give a shit about the "professional" Smash scene, since they never made the game for those guys in the first place. Which, also, is kinda valid.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
HEY! Our support at SNK is mostly grassroots and focuses on local events but we do officially support literally every single fighting game ever created by SNK, as long as it's an official release.

Thank you for this.

Also, speaking of KOF, you're with SNK directly, right? Do you know any concrete news concerning KOF XV? I'm hoping that SNK will start using rollback netcode for a change, unlike when they had a chance to with Samurai Shodown/Samurai Spirits.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
that's the thing that really bugs me. if nintendo is intent on coming down hard on Slippi, then fine. that's their prerogative. but at least be consistent about it. them not doing anything about Summit doesn't even help the point they tried to make regarding TBH.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
After reading this, there's virtually nothing about Nintendo actively working against the smash community. Nintendo just don't respond. Nintendo clearly don't want to associate themselves with the smash community, and who can blame them.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017

It sounds like you don't particularly care about the topic and are more or less here to crow about how bad things happening to the Smash scene as a whole is karmic justice.

typhy

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I'm having a really hard time over here caring for a community that's so swamped in scandals, toxicity, horrible behavior and general assholery.
fuck everyone who plays smash on the receiving end of the scandals and toxicity then i guess. glad people are being honest about it at least

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
My feelings on this are a little mixed.

The parts where they effectively ghost on people who were trying to set tournaments up? That's bad.

Then just not being interested in having an eSports scene just has me thinking... yeah? Ok? I get that it sucks that they don't care about your scene like you do. But that's not exactly shocking news or a thing they actually need to change.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a really hard time over here caring for a community that's so swamped in scandals, toxicity, horrible behavior and general assholery. From what I'm gathering off multiple Smash community news here on Era, that alone would be reason alone for me, personally, to side with Nintendo on this one and stay as far away from those people as possible.

In regards to Nintendos obliviousness before all of this shit came out, I'm pretty sure Nintendo just honestly doesn't give a shit about the "professional" Smash scene, since they never made the game for those guys in the first place. Which, also, is kinda valid.

Morally would it not be preferable to support the efforts to remove these abusers permanently, and provide a better environment for everyone to enjoy these games in? Either way, you're backing a company that's actively hurting people who have nothing to do with scandals, if not the same people who were hurt by them.

Getting your Smash news from Era was never going to give you a reasonable discourse.

After reading this, there's virtually nothing about Nintendo actively working against the smash community. Nintendo just don't respond. Nintendo clearly don't want to associate themselves with the smash community, and who can blame them.

another person who didn't read OP

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
It isn't a discussion specifically about slippi, but just an issue that slippi and every other emulated product will run into if they are looking to run official or semi-official events with cash payouts, donations, sponsors, advertising, etc.

This was specifically brought up because someone was basically comparing the parsec MVC3 tournament today with Slippi.
However, parsec is not in the same grey area as it is basically someone just running the steam version on a cloud PC. At least, as far as I understand.
The game being on PC still means that mods and such are possible, but because it is still on a closed ecosystem at the very least Capcom could probably go in and block/remove modes (as they have done in the past with netcode mods) if something problematic happened.

In the case of an emulated work, there is no way for the IP holder to control the content directly.
Well first of all Nintendo's lynchpin here is that they can claim that the broadcast is copyright infringement and therefore have no need to resort to more esoteric arguments to justify their shitty behavior.

That aside, I can't tell if you're making a normative argument or you're just trying to explain Nintendo's behavior. If it's the former, I think it's frankly absurd to tell people that they can't run a tournament using the verifiably legitimate version of the game because the same tools can be used to run an illegitimate one, especially since you can very easily run modded versions of Melee on legitimate hardware. If it's the latter, I don't think it's consistent with the evidence to say that Nintendo is really concerned about the "open ecosystem" problem given that their bad relationship with the scene far predates the possibility of any modded versions of Melee. Furthermore, all non-Nintendo sponsored Melee events of a considerable size for much of the past decade have (blatantly) employed UCF, which is actually a mod and can only be used on official hardware using a technique that enables you to do more or less whatever the hell you want to the game.

My feelings on this are a little mixed.

The parts where they effectively ghost on people who were trying to set tournaments up? That's bad.

Then just not being interested in having an eSports scene just has me thinking... yeah? Ok? I get that it sucks that they don't care about your scene like you do. But that's not exactly shocking news or a thing they actually need to change.
We would really like them to not care, actually. I am sure that most prominent people in the scene agree that the best outcome would be for Nintendo to never darken our door again.

Which is like half the viewers the big house 9 had for it's melee finals correct? I'm glad you agree with me then on (relatively) under the radar tournaments still happening. The melee community grew in those kinds of tournaments so yall just keep doing you.
I would love to live in a universe where a Melee tournament with 55 000 viewers is "under the radar". It represents the peak of Melee viewership in the past six months easily and possibly the entire calendar year. Also, people were @ing Nintendo on twitter during the event. I wouldn't call it low-key.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Morally would it not be preferable to support the efforts to remove these abusers permanently, and provide a better environment for everyone to enjoy these games in? Either way, you're backing a company that's actively hurting people who have nothing to do with scandals, if not the same people who were hurt by them.

Getting your Smash news from Era was never going to give you a reasonable discourse.

another person who didn't read OP
I read every word and what I said is correct. And I'm sorry but the idea that it's Nintendo's job to step in and sort out all the pedophilia in the smash community is astounding.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I read every word and what I said is correct. And I'm sorry but the idea that it's Nintendo's job to step in and sort out all the pedophilia in the smash community is astounding.

You clearly didn't because they have been doing this since the beginning with EVO and MLG.
And apparently didn't read what I posted either because its not implied that its Nintendo's job to "sort out all the pedophilia". They just sure as hell aren't helping anyone.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Jun 23, 2019
If Nintendo is willing to put Splatoon on ESL, but not allow grassroots tournaments, it's pretty clear that Nintendo doesn't care about Smash players as far as they can use them for money. Combine that with the absolutely toxic community (myself being witness to the Puppeh and Cinnpie scandal personally) and I think it's time for Smash players to move on. It's clear Nintendo has no intention of helping you guys out.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thank you for this.

Also, speaking of KOF, you're with SNK directly, right? Do you know any concrete news concerning KOF XV? I'm hoping that SNK will start using rollback netcode for a change, unlike when they had a chance to with Samurai Shodown/Samurai Spirits.
I love my job so you aren't getting any info out of me! :)

Well first of all Nintendo's lynchpin here is that they can claim that the broadcast is copyright infringement and therefore have no need to resort to more esoteric arguments to justify their shitty behavior.

That aside, I can't tell if you're making a normative argument or you're just trying to explain Nintendo's behavior. If it's the former, I think it's frankly absurd to tell people that they can't run a tournament using the verifiably legitimate version of the game because the same tools can be used to run an illegitimate one, especially since you can very easily run modded versions of Melee on legitimate hardware. If it's the latter, I don't think it's consistent with the evidence to say that Nintendo is really concerned about the "open ecosystem" problem given that their bad relationship with the scene far predates the possibility of any modded versions of Melee. Furthermore, all non-Nintendo sponsored Melee events of a considerable size for much of the past decade have (blatantly) employed UCF, which is actually a mod and can only be used on official hardware using a technique that enables you to do more or less whatever the hell you want to the game.

I am not sure the details of UCF (that's the one related to all the weird gamecube controller inconsistencies right?) or if Nintendo has ever made a statement for or against it, but you keep coming back to the crux of my argument. If you are talking about UCF modded legitimate hardware, that is part of the closed system and within Nintendo's realm of control if they deem it necessary. If there was an issue with it, they could issue a patch that would disable the mod. Similar to what you saw with Capcom disabling the recent SFV PC netcode patch.

When you are talking about fully reverse engineered emulation software, then that is something they have absolutely zero control over, which is why their first reaction is going to be to shut it down.
Obviously their biggest sticking point is the fact that it allows piracy, but it also opens the door for a lot of other things that they could see as harmful to the brand.