• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 MyTEAM Challenge Activities
Finally, we can't end the Courtside Report without talking about one more exciting PS5 feature we're creating new experiences for. Like how we took advantage of the DualSense and its Adaptive Triggers and Haptic Feedback features, we took a look at PS5's Activities and asked ourselves, "How can we bring fresh and meaningful content to our MyTEAM gamers?" The answer was MyTEAM Challenge Activities.

Each new MyTEAM Season, through the Activities feature, will bring about a unique Challenge Activity that's akin to our Moments and Spotlight Challenges: complete special objectives within set game scenarios and get rewards for hitting them. Each Season's Challenge Activity will yield a different reward, and there will be a new Challenge Activity for every new MyTEAM Season up for NBA 2K21 for PS5. Best of all, all participants will be ranked amongst each other through the Activities leaderboard.

First up, starting with Season 3, will be the Challenge of scoring 72 points against the 1996 Chicago Bulls. As most NBA fans know, the Michael Jordan-led Bulls achieved an unthinkable regular season record of 72 wins and 10 losses – the best record in NBA history until the 2016 Golden State Warriors one-upped them with a 73-9 record. Build your own dream team, score the iconic number of points (or more), earn yourself a nice little reward, and get ranked based on the final number of points you've tallied up. See you on the leaderboard!
blog.playstation.com

NBA 2K21 next-gen gameplay Courtside Report – MyPlayer & AI

Including first details on how NBA 2K21 will work with PS5's Activities feature.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Best of all, all participants will be ranked amongst each other through the Activities leaderboard.
So Activities also support leaderboards.

Each Season's Challenge Activity will yield a different reward, and there will be a new Challenge Activity for every new MyTEAM Season up for NBA 2K21 for PS5.
Also if I'm reading this correct, this confirms activities can give rewards?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they're not using them to just show ads. Probably just a matter of time.

I'm not surprised in the least that they're concentrating their use on the MT-centric part of the game, though.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like these courtside reports in concept, but they get so specific sometimes that even as a fan of the NBA 2K games they fly right over my head. I'm not entirely sure what they're trying to tell me here, for example.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
I like these courtside reports in concept, but they get so specific sometimes that even as a fan of the NBA 2K games they fly right over my head. I'm not entirely sure what they're trying to tell me here, for example.
They are typically for the hardcore audience who play the games. The biggest takeaway is the game on next-gen is going to be fairly different from the previous-gen in terms of gameplay. Smarter AI, and more tools offered to the players in-game. There were a lot of exploitable things in the game due to AI deficiencies and it looks like they are looking to improve that in next-gen so the game is seemingly more than a graphics update.

Also with the badges, they are removing ones that aren't necessary and adding some new ones.

I'm pretty excited, to be honest.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I can see it already:

"Complete this activity and get a 10% discount on your next deodorant purchase at Wal-Mart"

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Activities look more and more insteresting. It seems to me a real nice thing for the community of some games to gather around. I just hope Bungie will support it.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
This implementation doesn't seem that exciting. We've seen better use of it, but this one is lacking.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm surprised they're not using them to just show ads. Probably just a matter of time.

I'm not surprised in the least that they're concentrating their use on the MT-centric part of the game, though.
I know (well, hope) you're joking but I sure as shit hope Sony would never allow publishers to use these activities cards to display ads unless it's just to promote the game's newest DLC or event.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Was fully expecting to come in here and see that 2K was using Activity Cards for more advertising.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also if I'm reading this correct, this confirms activities can give rewards?
I wouldn't see why not, it's a link to an in-game challenge. The reward is tied to the in-game challenge more than the activity card itself. Now it would be cool if we start getting activity cards that are "do x in game 1, y in game 2 and z in game 3 to get /reward/"

Sep 7, 2020
Haptic Censoring Enabled is a new feature that gives you ability to feel the stamina of your players. It will cost you $10 to enable per game and its $15 if you also want to feel the ads that we force you to watch during the end of each quarter. If you don't want said ads, then it will cost you $30

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I know (well, hope) you're joking but I sure as shit hope Sony would never allow publishers to use these activities cards to display ads unless it's just to promote the game's newest DLC or event.
I hope they have something in place for any and all sales-related stuff. I wouldn't even want them promoting their own DLC, because that's just one step off of selling MT on the activity cards. If activities must link directly to something in the game, I'm sure publishers will try to get them to link to the in-game store to buy shit instead of jumping into, you know... the game.

I understand that this is probably an outlier, a gacha game that pretends it's a basketball game. I doubt actual normal video games will have this problem.

Uga

Oct 31, 2017
Blog post mentions improved Pick&Roll logic, then has a video showing Crowder not switching off on a screen and leaving LeBron wide-open for a shot haha

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Reading the first half of that blog post, and um... is this still a Basketball game? O_o