• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much would you pay to get a COVID vaccine early?

• I would not pay, I would wait 4-8 month and get it for free.

Votes: 398 68.9%
  • Up to 50 usd / eur / gbp

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • Up to 250 usd / eur / gbp

Votes: 47 8.1%
  • Up to 500 usd / eur / gbp

Votes: 26 4.5%
  • Up to 1000 usd / eur / gbp

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Over 1000 usd / eur / gbp

Votes: 22 3.8%

• Total voters

eponymous

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Paying for a vaccine that is in limited supply and should be prioritised for vulnerable people and health workers is completely immoral.

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
I am not in the "at risk" population and work from home so I will wait. I wouldn't mind paying for my parents to get it earlier though.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Even if I got vaxd right now I wouldn't be able to actually do anything. No travel, no restaurants, no movies, etc. That only returns when big chunks of the population are vaxd.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Give it first to the people that need it the most. Not to the ones that pay the most.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm going to be forced to be in the classroom with students still because "the vaccine is out and things are going back to normal" despite none of us being given the vaccine... probably a lot.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Considering that I am one of the high risk people and I'd like to continue being alive, I'd pay well over $1000 without much hesitation. Am I likely the highest risk person out there? No (I think in most states plans I fall into the second group that would get it), but high enough that I'd be pretty terrified if I had the thing. That said, I shouldn't have that option as it should go to people for free in the order that they need it.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hum, nothing... i have a right to medical assistance and that includes inoculation in a pandemic.

Oct 25, 2017
For me, nothing. I can wait this out, other people need it more, and I'm not high risk.

For my parents? I'd hemorrhage money--my mom is on dialysis. Three times a week, she goes and spends a four hour stretch indoors with a bunch of people she doesn't know, who may or may not be practicing any sort of sane social distancing outside of dialysis. She comes into contact with staff who see even more patients throughout the week. While masks are now mandatory for the entire process (it used to just be when moving around, now they're required to wear them while seated as well), and they practice social distancing and have good ventilation, we still get a little worried any time she finds out someone there has come up positive. And if she were to ever pick it up from another doctor visit, or something, she'd be at risk of giving it to other highly vulnerable people at dialysis (her center sends COVID positive patients to an isolated part of the building for dialysis, but they share an entrance and it's likely she'd go at least once while positive before we knew about it.) It's not something she can stop doing; she has to go to not die.

So, yeah, while I don't think people should have to pay, I'd dump my wallet to remove that possible threat.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I want this to be over for me last week.

HOWEVER, I'll wait my turn. I'm not a healthcare worker and I'm not in a vulnerable group so I was probably never going to be towards the front of the line. I can wait, and continue to wait.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There should be no money involved in the administration of vaccines, and no one should be able to pay just to get the vaccine early. Let the experts decide who should get the first waves.

For my country I'm expecting the priority to be the following:

1) Healthcare workers
2) Elderly above a certain age
3) Migrant workers who are living in very close quarters (our biggest hit population group, due to short sightedness of authorities)
4) People who work with children
5) Workers who work in service sectors and have to service lots of customers (like F&B and retail, airport staff, transportation staff)
6) The rest of the population

I honestly think I will probably get the vaccine at the end of next year but my country needs to get the above groups vaccinated first.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing. If I'm willing and able to pay, that means rich people are willing and able and they're going to suck up the entire supply.

Prioritize healthcare, high risk, emergency services, and retail workers. Move outward from there.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
If I wasn't pregnant and if it wasn't the first round, I'd pay up to $2,000 per shot ($250 to $500 per month is about how much that extra freedom will be worth to me).

As it stands now, $0 because as a pregnant woman I'm not risking any new medication.

*edit: This is in a situation where all the essential people (medical staff, teachers, food/retail) who need it will get it first before it opens up for the rest of us.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
As much as i need to but i have free healthcare and live in a first world country so i'll get it free anyway

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Is it permanent? A lot because my wife is working the COVID unit and I want her safe

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Why should anyone have to pay for this?

How much of this research and this rollout was publicly funded to begin with. I'm not paying shit and no one should have to either.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
In a hypothetical scenario where me paying for one doesn't take it from someone else, I'd actually pay a lot. A good friend is moving far away soon and there's only a small window next year where I could visit them, so if I don't get the vaccines by then I'd be waiting until 2022 or longer to see them again.

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming everything in the OP, and that I personally have to wait 4-8 months later, I'd probably pay $100 per person to get it for my wife, parents, and father/mother in law

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I have been exposed to Covid-19 numerous times since this all started. I'm not a high risk group, so give it to the people that need it first.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Society isn't gonna go back to normal as soon as you as an individual gets the vaccine, you need a decent percentage of the population immunised before you feel.any real benefits...

ps3ud0 8)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Let those who need it the most get it first. I can wait a few more months.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
Why would I pay to get the vaccine early? I'm 23, healthy and not at-risk and it would most likely just be like a flu to me. That vaccine could go to someone who actually needed it like my mum.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I am a risk group so...I'll be in the first wave but, follwing the assumptions in the OP

I wouldn't pay for it, I'd wait. Those first doses should be focused towards protecting the risk groups, especially as they're likely to be limited, and broader societal benefits such as lifting of lockdowns, getting back of freedoms, etc. aren't going to come into place until there's wider vaccination anyways, which would be with the general population release.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing. I don't belong to a high-risk group and national/international restrictions won't be lifted just because I'm immune early.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it's safe and effective, which is not as certain as some might think/hope, then I will be content to wait until it's free.