• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

In which sales range will it end up?

• 2-4 million

Votes: 46 6.7%
  • 4-6 million

Votes: 97 14.1%
  • 6-8 million

Votes: 109 15.9%
  • 8-10 million

Votes: 149 21.7%
  • 10-12 million

Votes: 94 13.7%
  • 12-14 million

Votes: 41 6.0%
  • 15+ million

Votes: 151 22.0%

• Total voters

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
We probably all agree that it will sell above 2 million units.

Judging by the reception, how much do you think it will sell physically and digital combined?

Remember that the collection is (as of now) only available as a limited run from its September 18 release until the end of March 2021 so we are going off of this very specific release; not counting a potential seperate digital split release.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Bronx, NY
I voted for 15+ Million. I don't think it will be limited in a sense that copies will be hard to find during the sale, but it will do huge numbers, and will set records this holiday.

Also only taking physical to account.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
6-8 million, less than Odyssey (it will be a limited run even for digital after all), but this holiday will be the game to buy for the Switch.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
6-8 mil. I'd have said higher but it's difficult to tell just how limited the physical limited run will be.

It'll do well though, especially if it's one of Nintendo's only major releases over the holidays.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
15 million+, it'll get a nice boost before its production run runs out

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I hope this game sells more than any other Switch game. People need to see the greatness of SMG. It is like being into paintings and never knowing about the Mona Lisa.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Depends on how many copies Nintendo makes. If they're smart, they'll get a butt-ton of copies out there throughout the holiday.

Early adopters will probably jump on it quick due to the limited release, and then it'll probably sell throughout the holiday if Nintendo makes enough copies for people that want it.

I'm thinking 10-15 million., might be a bit too generous given the limited release, but it's Mario.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
absurdly well, and that's not even a contest.

I THINK it will even chart above many of current best selling Switch games in no time.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They will sell all they make if that's 15 million than that is I don't know, I just believe the physical copy will be limited and hard to get after the first wave.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
6-8 million, less than Odyssey (it will be a limited run even for digital after all), but this holiday will be the game to buy for the Switch.
Don't know what you're getting at with the whole limited run bit. Animal Crossing sold over 20M in like four months and it wasn't during the holiday.

I don't really know how much I feel it will sell, but if demand is there it can do massive numbers even with a limited run.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing 6-8 million. It'll do well but it only being available for 6 months may make it tough to do much more.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Ultimately less than they would have without the limited availability nonsense.

Steady evergreen sales for years > some supposed FOMO spike.

It's really not some dastardly genius business move some of you think it is. It is a weird Nintendo-ism.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I hope this game sells more than any other Switch game. People need to see the greatness of SMG. It is like being into paintings and never knowing about the Mona Lisa.

I kinda hope it doesn't if only because they will do this limited digital release thing again and again.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I run commerce content for IGN (preorder guides, daily deals, Black Friday etc) and Super Mario 3d All-Stars is our most-preordered game of all time, after less than 24 hours of availability. By a huge margin in fact.

Caveat: I think the combo of it supposedly being "limited" and people's inability to just walk into a store and buy one created a bit of a perfect storm for online preorder activity. I don't necessarily think it means that just because our record was broken (shattered really) that the game will end up outselling FF7R, Animal Crossing, other big 2020 hits. But regardless, it's record-breaking.

ichigoww

Apr 22, 2018
A nintendo game sold for a limited time frame, of course it's going to sell like crazy.
What I'm curious though, it's how high will the prices go after march

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
It will sell a ton and I think Nintendo will change their minds about the limited time thing, allowing it to sell even more.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Even with it's limited release, this collection will sell a substantial amount of copies. Then after it's delisted, it will eventually return, maybe as a separate package, and continue to sell.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they're not supply straining it I suspect it's going to do a lot more than what it would do if it weren't a limited run.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Don't know what you're getting at with the whole limited run bit. Animal Crossing sold over 20M in like four months and it wasn't during the holiday.

I don't really know how much I feel it will sell, but if demand is there it can do massive numbers even with a limited run.
Yeah, but ACNH had both the good timing (good for a business point of view, it was awful times for most of us) and that it was a new game. The collection will sell well but it has a more limited appeal than AC, and it's a quite expensive pack considering the age of the games and the treatment they have received.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey sold 18m in 3 years. People are crazy if they think a remaster collection is breaking 15m in 7 months. That'd surpass the LTD of any of the individual games' original releases (including 64 DS) in less than a year. I'd be surprised if it does half that.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
It well sell a shit ton. No wonder there is only so much effort put in those remasters (what effort?).
Preordered btw

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
If Animal Crossing sold 22 million in 3 months, I can see the collection doing something similar in the same timeframe.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Gonna say 10m + between physical and digital, bolstered by the 'get it while you can!' limited nature of it, but it's gonna be a big seller regardless.