• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much will NSMBU Deluxe sell?

• 0-2 million: The NSMB fatigue is real.

Votes: 126 9.3%
  • 2-5 million: Respectable, but not matching the Wii U version's number.

Votes: 244 18.0%
  • 5-8 million: More than the Wii U version like every Switch port.

Votes: 666 49.1%
  • 8-13 million: People love NSMB!

Votes: 229 16.9%
  • 13+ million: More than NSMB2!

Votes: 91 6.7%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is arriving soon next month, and it got me wonder. How much is it gonna sell?

On one hand you have people who are certain the NSMB brand is worn out and can't do a fraction of its previous numbers. One the other hand, so far every Wii U game ported to Switch handily outdoes the original. So where's this one going to end up, Era?

Personally, I think it will perform similarly to NSMB2 and even has to components to surpass it, for a few reasons:
  • Switch software in general performs much stronger than 3DS software
  • NSMBU is a far better game and I think reviews will reflect that
  • A lot of people's last experience with the franchise was on Wii, I think any franchise fatigue is long gone by now
  • Most importantly, the easily accessible local multiplayer options on Switch will be a HUGE boon for this one

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Enough to make a lot of Era mad.

I'll say more than 8 million LTD.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
New Super Mario Bros. 2 sold 12.82 million copies, while New Super Mario Bros. U sold only 5.77 million copies. So that's a gap of 7.05 million copies to be filled. That's the baseline for me. I personally expect it will grow towards the same number New Super Mario Bros. 2 sold. These games are slow but steady sellers after all.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
At that $59.99 U.S. price tag, not sure it will reach Wii U numbers. Got it on Wii U, and keeping it there.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm going for broke here

It's been 5 years since last proper 2D Mario game.. that most didn't buy

It has 4 player co-op unlike NSMB 2

I'm going with mid-teens like 15-17 million for this.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Enough to upset a lot of people. Because ports don't deserve to sell or something like that.
I'm guessing 6-8 million. Though it could be higher with all the hungry new Switch owners.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
although i owned a wii u i never got around to this game. so i'll be buying it

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's well positioned to sell better than the original version. Not sure how many more it'll sell though. Maybe it'll reach 10 million, I'm gonna say it'll fall short of that but only just.

9 million.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Going 8-13 million. A lot of people got a Switch yesterday and the timing of this game is perfect.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I think it'll have a pretty good splash (8+ million) simply by virtue of being a 2D Mario game that most Switch owners haven't been exposed to before. But I have a hard time seeing it pull off the success of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe when it didn't really excite people on Wii U (even relative to MK8 on Wii U), and doesn't have a strong hook like Odyssey did.

I'd feel a lot better about it if it felt like Nintendo was actually trying to market it as a tentpole Mario game.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10 mil+ LTD. won't reach the numbers of smash, mario kart, odyssey and botw but will be a huge success nonetheless.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna stick with 7-10m. A lot of this depends on how heavily they want to market it and how aggressively they'll bundle it down the line. I don't think the NSMB subseries has enough gas in the tank to provide the unprecedented numbers it once did, but it's also a co-op 2D Mario on a system where first party software sells ridiculously unless your name is Sushi Striker.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
If it were launched at 40€ price tag it would have sell a ton... but 60€ is too steep for a port...

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the best Mario games ever and new to a lot of people, but it also has very little extra content for wiiu NSMBU owners (unless they didn't buy NSLU), so I would guess better then Wii U, but not more then 1.5 times it - maybe around 8? I may be lowballing but I'm very confident that's not highballing.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
How has Donkey Kong Country done between Wii U and Switch? Shouldn't the percentage jump there be a good indicator for the Switch bump for Nintendo published 2D platformers?

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW was a Day 1 port
Mario Kart was a 3 year old port
This game is a 6+ year old port
None of the other ports were as old as this one.
But then again, pretty sure most people don't know this game existed.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm buying it, so that's 1. My co-worker is buying it also, so that's 2. Maybe the pros can take it from here.

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone calculate Mario Kart 8 sales for Wii U. And calculate the percentage Switch version sold more in comparison. Then calculate that same percentage for NSMBU.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Enough to make every thread of it fill up with enraged people stating over and over again that Nintendo should feel disgusted for selling a x year old port for 60 bucks.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Going to be bold and say 13 million+. 2D Mario's have performed just as well as 3D, it's a remaster at $60 but it's packed with two games and we've seen games like MK8 perform incredibly well as there's a large audience who haven't played these games. It's releasing in Jan so very little games on Switch to compete against. The Switch is also coming off a huge successful holiday so people are likely going to look for more games to buy.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Even though I own this I think I'll be buying it again as I never got the Luigi DLC. And my wife wants everything on the Switch.

Personally I think 8-9 million sounds about right. Which will be insane in itself...

Plum

May 31, 2018
I doubt it'll go into the upper 10s of millions but it'll do fairly well for sure. My personal thought is that the name is gonna hurt it at least a little; it's the only Wii U port explicitly connected to the Wii U era through name. Though I guess for most that won't matter.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Hard to predict. Unlike Let's Go, I dont know anyone excited about this port online or offline. It's a port so I don't expect it to have as much hype as a new game. But I feel like this game will appeal more to the mainstream and casual gamers than dedicated gamers than Let's Go.

Oct 27, 2017
im gonna say 13 million plus. At least as much as NSMB2. Honestly anything over 10+ would be pretty spectacular
Edit: Plus it has coop. Coop games are pretty popular this day and age

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Tropical Freeze sold more on Switch than on Wii U, I imagine the same will hold true here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone calculate Mario Kart 8 sales for Wii U. And calculate the percentage Switch version sold more in comparison. Then calculate that same percentage for NSMBU.
we know where mario kart ended up on wii u, but we don't know how much it'll end up selling on the switch until the system is dead (and it will sell until then), this thread is about lifetime sales so it would be hard to tell based on the numbers we got.

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say, on one hand, it's a Mario platformer so it's going to sell well. Although, I don't think it's aged very well visually compared to the other ports. To the casual observer it's no better looking the IOS Mario game that was launched at like 10 dollars (pretty sure they share assets). Plus, you have Indie games like Hollow Knight, Shantae, Monster Boy and the like that curb stomp it graphically, musically, and production value wise despite being much smaller and cheaper productions.

But then again, it's a 2D Mario game.