• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much time can you spend to playing video games while in a relationship

• 1-5 hours a week

Votes: 56 9.8%
  • 5-10 hours a week

Votes: 73 12.8%
  • 10-20 hours a week

Votes: 81 14.2%
  • 25+ hours a week

Votes: 60 10.5%
  • They game with me and this is not a problem

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • Unlimited Time because I’m single

Votes: 154 26.9%
  • I don’t even play games anymore I just read about them.

Votes: 31 5.4%

• Total voters

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I can spend what I want but a majority of it is at night when it's just me. Got dad/husband duty along with cooking/chores each day.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My partner dabbles in daily Animal Crossing logins for around an hour a day and sometimes boots up Tetris Effect Connected on the Xbox or plays one of their backlogged Switch indie games. Totals around 10-12 hours weekly, I'd say.

Oct 25, 2017
Missing the poll option "Unlimited time because my partner doesn't control my free time"
But she also plays games herself anyway.

My SO knew what I was about when she started dating me, so she doesn't care how much time I spend playing games. With that said, I do keep in mind to make time to hang out with her.....unless there's a new Hearthstone expansion or fighting game I'm interested in (usually Capcom). She knows she's fucked for probably a week in either of those circumstances lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I cringe at the idea couples really function like this and tell each other how much hobby time they have either way and what they can do with it. For what it's worth, I have been with my partner for around 13-14 years and lived together for about 10 and we haven't ever dictated *free time* towards each other either way. I showed my partner this thread and her response was "thats so incel" lol

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
As today, I spent ~250hrs with Genshin Impact from the 11th November.
My wife is pretty happy to see me playing it since she's a weeb. Same with FFXV, played at the beginning of 2020.

Usually I play less, but she never told me "don't play".
She's quite happy if I'm happy, and vice versa.

Should be noted that she's a gamer too (+300hrs on FFXV and currently 150 with My Time at Portia).

Voted +25hrs per week.

mattypacker

Oct 29, 2017
Bristol UK
Weird way to word the question. My partner doesn't "give" me time to play games. She knows I love it so I play when I have free time, probably on average 2-3 hours a day, maybe more depending on what game it is. We live in a small apartment so I'm considerate of when she may rather watch TV/do something else. She also likes to play games on a more occasional basis too.

She likes watching me play story games as well so I enjoy involving her in my gaming time. She knew I was massively into video games when we started going out, so she knew what to expect, and loves my passion for it.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
My wife and I play our games when we have the time during the day and then after the kids are in bed we unwind and play some more since we have uninterrupted time together to play what we want. There's no real time limit we impose on ourselves; only that we don't let it interfere with the daily stuff plus kids.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
She doesn't regulate it, but we usually have a mutual understanding of when it's time to play and time to stop.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My wife doesn't control my game time. I can tell her at any time that I want to go spend some time playing a video game, and she is completely okay with that. I tend not to do it very often, though. Instead, I play games during an hour or two every afternoon while she's working and our kids are napping.

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I both play games, I probably play 10-20 hours or more a week depending on what we feel like doing but that's the minimum. I can't vote in the poll because I don't agree with the concept of them "giving" me time.

I don't give her time for her hobbies either, we respect each other's wants and needs. Sometimes that Means giving them space to do their hobbies, sometimes sacrificing time to do yours, etc it's a balance. But so long as we respect each other's needs I don't feel like we are "giving" each other anytime at all for hobbies like gaming

Sundrowned

Oct 27, 2017
MN
Unlimited. I game on the couch right next to my wife while we watch movies/TV and often she'll be playing stuff on her Switch, too, although she's a very casual gamer.

I do sympathize, because I had previously been in a six year relationship where I was made to feel bad for spending my time gaming. It was a toxic situation that bred resentment no matter how much I compromised. In the end it was just one piece of our incompatibility as romantic partners and that's just how it goes sometimes.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I can game when she's not around or when she feels magnanimous. It's not that she lets me or not, she straights up turns off whatever I'm using. It gets so, so, soooo tiresome...
Either you have a history of being too addicted to games that you neglect a lot of real life priorities or that is one toxic relationship.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
I am not a child. I can game when I want. I also know the merits of taking some time off and watching her shows with her.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Plenty of time, though it can be stressful sometimes. Sometimes, I'll be wanting to do my own thing on the computer or wanting to read something on my tablet. However, that leaves me isolated from her, not because of lack of attention (she's mostly reading manga on her tablet), but because it leaves our main area too quiet which she doesn't like, so she prefers me to play something while she reads so there's some sort of atmosphere going on. At times, it feels like being "on" constantly as if I'm a streamer, even if she's not paying attention.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
My partner doesn't play games but doesn't mind me playing anything I want anytime I want. We'll often have the TV on watching something while I'm playing on the other TV or on Switch.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The idea that someone has to "give you" time for your hobby is problematic in itself.

A solid relationship is built on both people being mature and understanding how much time to give each other and how much time to give to their own interests and hobbies.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
"Give you". Always hated this idea, the idea that your own time doesn't belong to yourself anymore.

That's a form of abuse, folks. Not being able to use your own time as you want or being given shit for doing that by your SO is flat out abuse.

Of course there is going to be a natural shift of priorities, but during your honest to God downtime no one has the right to tell you that you can't spend it playing a game. My girlfriend loves reading, a LOT. Could you imagine how anyone might react if I told her that she couldn't read anymore??

Stop this shit. If you're not married and your SO gives you unreasonable trouble when you're spending your downtime reasonably on gaming, leave them. If you're married, reestablish your boundaries with your spouse (this obviously goes both ways, always) or consider counselling.

Fuck this "my SO doesn't let me do my hobby" trash so much.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I actually have plenty of time to play before she gets home, and that way I can spend some more time with her later.

But we actually play together. She's not a hardcore gamer, but we played Overcooked 1 and 2 and we recently finished the first two Ace Attorney games. We're on Case 2 of Trials and Tribulations now and about to head into the first day of the trial.

Dec 8, 2018
We don't give each other time in that manner and a relationship like that sounds horrendous. We both have our separate hobbies and we both spend as much time we both find responsible on them. We have a small child (2 years) so the time have been reduced quite severely but we still don't have a limit outside what is common sense and responsibilities.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yeah.... no, my wife and I have different hobbies completely and don't control each other's time. I'm not going to game or watch sports every second of my free time, but that's because I WANT to do other things, like spend time with her and my 3 daughters. Or currently, clean up the garage so I can do some more woodworking.

Sounds like a quick way to build resentment towards your partner and ruin a relationship by dictating terms to each other. If your partner doesn't care about your hobbies enough to let you do them, that's a red flag in my book.

Eddie Bax

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
I'm glad the bulk of this thread is people shaking their head.

It's one thing to need to put family/chores/work first, but if you have actual free time and need permission from an SO to do things with it, then reestablish your boundaries and if necessary have the self-respect to leave if things aren't going to get better.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
My girlfriend is a gamer so she likes watching me play. She actually gets excited watching me play Demon's Souls on PS5, and is constantly asking about the lore, how mechanics work, summoning, all the nuances on crafting. She loves that kinda shit. So Unlimited? I think she just likes sitting next to me and spending time in whatever way it could be.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
I am 30 years young.

Kid you not, my ex set up my - to this day used - PSN as minor so she could impose time restraints. Mind you, I barely played on average 10 hours a week at the time, due to school and work obligations. 10 hours. A week. If that was even the average for oh, six years, give or take.

She was a dom though before we split. So I kind of get it from a control aspect. But think about that, a grown ass woman setting time limits for a grown ass man to play games he bought with his grown up earnings. And AND buy all of her pot because only I had the card required at the time, along with various other small things. Chew on it. Never throw away your dignity for another person.

Now I'm lonely, single, self employed and play games probably 40 hours a week when I'm not trying to secure gigs. So, maybe the joke's on both of us...But only I can say I finished an Assassin's Creed from the last decade.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It's because OP is being yelled at because if we both have off the same week it's "fucked up that you rather play video games than spend time with me" and I'm on the "well can't i do both?"

Jeez, dude. I hope you and your significant other can find some common ground, here. That doesn't sound super healthy.

I can game when she's not around or when she feels magnanimous. It's not that she lets me or not, she straights up turns off whatever I'm using. It gets so, so, soooo tiresome...

Holy shit...

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
What a weird question. If my partner had to give me permission to do something like playing videogames, I wouldn't be in that relationship.

That said, my relationships were always with someone who understood and respected what I like, and in most cases would love to watch me play single player story driven games.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
She doesn't mind when I play around her ..I mind . When she's in my presence I can maybe play for 10 mins or so before I'm like ..Hey babe..what do you want to do? She's just huge distraction for me ..

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Give me? What? I was very upfront about my gaming habits when we first started dating.

And some weeks she plays way more than me.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
One where you have kids for example?

Or do you expect the kids to just look after themselves?
That's not how it works. Partners agree on who will do what chores, or who will watch the kids when. That's healthy, not your partner "telling you" what to do and when to do it.

After you divide up the work, normally partners have spare time, and they manage that spare time however they please. One thing is your partner telling you "I won't be home this afternoon, can you watch the kids?" and a very different thing is your partner telling you "no more than two hours of videogames per day for you big boy!".

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Give me time? Lol. Like I have a child account and she manages it from her phone?

I play when I want and when time allows.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
My partner doesn't regulate my time, however when she or my daughter are present I don't tend to play video games since I would rather spend time with them doing things we can all enjoy. My typical gaming hours are weeknights after our daughter has gone to bed, and my partner is either winding down with a cuppa and book, or has also already gone to bed. If I am going to game for an extensive period during the day for like a Destiny-thingy with friends, I'll let my partner know well ahead of time so there aren't any surprises and inconsiderate "You're watching our kiddo for the next few hours" kinda moments.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I've got young kids. That takes away from my time to game more than anything. At the end of the day, the wife and I only get about an hour to hang out before we are passing out so that time isn't usually spent on games. It's spent with eachother, talking, planning, or just watching a show together.