• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much time do you spend watching gaming videos on YouTube each day?

• Less than 1 hour

Votes: 134 55.4%
  • Between 1-2 hours

Votes: 34 14.0%
  • Between 2-4 hours

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • 5+ hours or more.

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • I don't watch gaming videos on YouTube

Votes: 50 20.7%

• Total voters

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I was actually quite shocked to find out that my daily average is 2hrs 30 mins, that's a lot for me considering I don't spend much time using devices.

Now, I admit, probably an hour of that is meditation videos at night which help with my anxiety and sleeping but I would say the rest of that is gaming videos.

Which basically means I spend an hour and a half each day watching gaming videos, again, mostly at night before bed but still, that was quite shocking to me.

So, how about everyone else? How much time do you all spend watching gaming videos on YouTube?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Most of my youtube is treated as podcasts in regarding to media are things that are either retrospectives, comedy, analysis, or writing videos. "Gaming" itself takes up very little of my time unless it's a deep dive vid like Matthewmatosis or Raycevik.

Unless it's a long video there's very few gaming channels I care to follow up on.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Maybe when DF video hit, and that's about it. YouTube is great, but I'd rather be playing games than watching them.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Almost zero hours. It was zero before Dreams came out, but now I watch a couple tutorial videos I find each week. Freetime is fairly limited, so if I have the spare time, I'm playing instead of watching someone else play.

I don't watch much YouTube in general, though. If I have the time to watch something, it's probably Netflix/Hulu.

Oct 27, 2017
My work allows me to have music, podcasts, videos etc. going pretty much all day. So I'm usually on YouTube listening and glancing at gaming videos for maybe 5 hours of my entire day.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Between 1-2 hours and only when the Easy Allies podcast is out.

~20 minutes of HCBailly let's plays a day

~30 of whatever EZA puts out that interests me, like the new Achievements show.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I spend almost 0 hours on youtube as a whole n/m for gaming related stuffs. Like its not even a site I have bookmarked.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Not much.

I spend a lot of time watching LivePD and Hell's Kitchen/Kitchen nightmares clips though.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Usually 0 hours. Sometimes I watch gameplay videos for reference if I want to remember something from a game but can't play it.

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Most of my youtube is treated as podcasts in regarding to media are things that are either retrospectives, comedy, analysis, or writing videos. "Gaming" itself takes up very little of my time unless it's a deep dive vid like Matthewmatosis or Raycevik.

Unless it's a long video there's very few gaming channels I care to follow up on.
I think that's why I spend 1 hour 30 mins on average per day watching gaming videos (which was quite shocking to me, I didn't realise I watched that many gaming vids) because most of the gaming stuff I watch is deep dive vids or retrospectives right before bed because they are relaxing to watch.

I spend a lot of time watching LGR, Pushing Up Roses and other YouTubers who have a similar style to that.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
It usually increases when it's E3 season like listening to podcasts or discussions. This week it'll probably get closer to 20 or 30.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Gaming? Not even daily anymore, only if there is something interesting out... other stuff however, quite a lot of hours. I binge watched the Bald and Bankrupt channel very recently, all videos over 2-3 days.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Sometimes I put some AVGN before sleep but that's it.

I do watch some "let's play" sometimes, but not a routine.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The only gaming videos I watch are either trailers or the occasional Broughy video when new cars come out for GTA Online and I need to know whether or not it's worth buying for racing.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only watch gaming videos via Resetera, and probably watch an average of 3 hours per month. I actually kinda hate watching gaming content on YouTube because then gaming videos that I don't care about will dominate my recommendations.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I ever watch any gaming related videos is if I'm on the fence about a possible purchase and then I sometimes am willing to spend up to 5 minutes skimming through random videos to see if the footage looks enticing. Almost always muted.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
If Giant Bomb counts, about an hour a day unless it's something like talking over E3 or Crime Crew.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
99% of the gaming content on youtube is complete trash. i find it baffling how some of these annoying cunts get so much attention on here. i think the only ones i regularly watch are danielfromsl and mega64

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I selected none. I will actually watch videos when deciding which platform I'll buy a game on.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was actually quite shocked to find out that my daily average is 2hrs 30 mins, that's a lot for me considering I don't spend much time using devices.

Now, I admit, probably an hour of that is meditation videos at night which help with my anxiety and sleeping but I would say the rest of that is gaming videos.

Which basically means I spend an hour and a half each day watching gaming videos, again, mostly at night before bed but still, that was quite shocking to me.

So, how about everyone else? How much time do you all spend watching gaming videos on YouTube?
For me on average it's about 0.2 minutes a day, 5 - 10 seconds maybe.

I find this trend of watching rather than playing really rather weird. Also youtube stopped being cool long ago, the whole "monetization" thing rubs me the wrong way, I think it's a mistake nothing good can come out of it, except a select few who get rich by, let's be honest, providing mostly really trashy and often toxic "content".

Oct 27, 2017
Very selectively, and not every day, but a few minutes to maybe more than an hour a week - reviews, DF, maybe parts of podcasts and early looks at games.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Like 2 to 3 hours a week. Mainly trailers for upcoming games on platform specific channels, some IGN vids, Raycevick stuff every couple of months when it releases, Digital Foundry materials if they are interesting to me and a bit of Screen Junkies and CinemaSins. Oh, and I follow Netflix and HBO channels to stay to date with all the premiers and new releases.

Last edited:

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I watch short gaming videos related to achievements/trophies or collectibles. And trailers at gaming events, but that's rare.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'll watch trailers and the occasional gamexplain or digital foundry video, or if somebody posts something else interesting on this board. But all of that probably comes out to about an hour a week?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
next to none. I'm not really subscribed to any youtubers who talk games.

All i watch on there in terms of game stuff are trailers, really.

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
For me on average it's about 0.2 minutes a day, 5 - 10 seconds maybe.

I find this trend of watching rather than playing really rather weird. Also youtube stopped being cool long ago, the whole "monetization" thing rubs me the wrong way, I think it's a mistake nothing good can come out of it, except a select few who get rich by, let's be honest, providing mostly really trashy and often toxic "content".

I do agree with you in regards to watching rather than playing, I will only watch newer games to see if I wish to purchase them, maybe 20-30 mins because I think seeing gameplay is better than reading subjective reviews, I often want to see what performance is like on PC as well before purchasing or if the games I am interested in have many bugs etc.

Most of my time spent watching gaming videos are documentaries such as the recent NOCLIP one about Telltale games or channels like LGR who do retrospectives on older games or build Dos machines etc.

I must say, I really dislike the clickbait content on YouTube as well and a lot of it is exactly as you have described.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
30 minutes to an hour. I sub to Game Grumps, Team Spooky, and Sajam (among others), so depending on the content of the day I'll watch everything or only a couple of videos.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I used to watch loaads. Nowadays I don't so much, but if I get really into a new game and want to find out about its intricacies I might dip back into the video vortex.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Youtube is always running in the background when I work so not sure how to count that.

Right now I have a video of the entire NFS Undreground 2 OST playing.

Edit: Oh you mean watching let's play and stuff? None
Maybe a digital foundry video or from some news channel

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The occasional retro gaming video, or game soundtracks, but that's it. So a couple of hours a week. I don't watch any LP's or anything like that.

Tech videos, slightly more often.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I normally put the Kinda Funny podcast on YouTube while I'm playing a video game, but I don't tend to actively watch video game videos unless I'm stuck doing something like eating or working out. I'd rather be playing games.