• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How many hours a week do you spend playing live service games?

• 0-4

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • 4-8

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • 8-12

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • 12+

Votes: 35 13.9%
  • I don't play any live service games

Votes: 102 40.6%

• Total voters

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Destiny 2 was pretty much the only game I would play, sometimes averaging 10-12 hours weekly. I quit the game a few months ago due to the utterly ridiculous requirements and constant checklist approach to the game, in addition to the birth of my son several months ago. Like other live service games, it always wants you to do task A, B or C, and it truly is the ultimate chore simulator.

I decided to reinstall it a few days just to give it a whirl - but nope, still the same old shit. A million and one things to do, where you may spend hours and hours to complete even a single objective to obtain a useless gun which adds nothing to the gameplay. Truth be told, I have no idea how one can play such games unless you are a teenager still in school or any real responsibilities. Destiny continues to add pointless objectives and time limited rewards each season, each requiring considerable effort and grind. I see Halo Infinite is also heading to this direction too, with the open ended design, optional mission objectives etc. I imagine 343 is going to adopt the Bungie model where objectives and mini-objectives are added on a daily/weekly basis.

Games no longer have a start and finish. We're left in an infinite carrot and stick scenario with constant drip feeding of content, and it never fucking stops. I hate it.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Now, I put 8-12 but a lot of that is Dragalia Lost playing itself, as my phone is technically open and active, though I'm not actively playing it.

I had a phase last year where I was playing Fortnite, DL, Asphalt 9, Brain Training and Animal Crossing, all of which have live service/daily FOMO components; that was stressful.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I am currently playing Genshin, FFXIV and did play Avengers (on break until new content) ... so that's all September. Avengers was like 60 hours, FFXIV is probably around 60 hours as well and Genshin is probably on like 15-20 hours so far?

Inbetween those I also played CrossCode for 50 hours so far lol

I have too much time recently ...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
0-4 only because I haven't been gaming at ALL recently

The only GaaS game I play regularly is Dota

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've never played a live service game, the genres that tend to use this model generally don't appeal to me and neither does the model itself, so that's unlikely to ever change.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure what to answer in the poll, because I don't play them, usually.

But then this year I've spent a lot of hours in CoD Warzone because something about that game just clicked (and I haven't been a regular CoD player since the very first one on PC).

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
Assuming we're counting MMOs like Final Fantasy XIV and Elder Scrolls Online, lots. Those have been the mainstay of my gaming since the original EverQuest.

If we're not counting those, then basically none. I've tried most of the battle royales and a lot of those games, but the constant FOMO mechanics of them annoy me to not care. I like to experience a game on my own time, not be forced to do stuff because "you only have this season to acquire this gear or do this content".

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I am currently trying to get into Destiny 2, but I have to say I don't have much fun, so it is very probable I will drop it soon. I am going through legacy campaigns before they get removed. The game is very confusing and I do not have much incentive to learn about all the mechanics, because I am getting loot all the time. All these mission types, vendors, types of materials, and currencies turn me off. I would like to use it as a podcast game that I can grind now and then, but at this point, I don't understand the things I am grinding for. I don't even know what I can buy for the main blue currency so getting it does not feel satisfying. I know that all this information can be obtained if I read some Reddit pages and whatnot, but it is really weird that the game does not even try to explain this to me.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
4 to 8 hours of Fortnite every week sounds about right.

And sometimes a new one might come out that I like that I might then play for some time. The new COD has that possibility for example.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
The majority of my gaming time this generation has been spent with live service games. Destiny 1 is my most played game ever.

I need to try this Genshin Impact thing...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I would say the majority of my gaming time is on live service games. I'm a social gamer and most of my playtime is with friends. So makes sense.

I play the odd game alone but when I'm gaming I like to do it with friends. I spend enough time sat on my own during the working day (I work from home).

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am currently trying to get into Destiny 2, but I have to say I don't have much fun, so it is very probable I will drop it soon. I am going through legacy campaigns before they get removed. The game is very confusing and I do not have much incentive to learn about all the mechanics, because I am getting loot all the time. All these mission types, vendors, types of materials, and currencies turn me off. I would like to use it as a podcast game that I can grind now and then, but at this point, I don't understand the things I am grinding for. I don't even know what I can buy for the main blue currency so getting it does not feel satisfying. I know that all this information can be obtained if I read some Reddit pages and whatnot, but it is really weird that the game does not even try to explain this to me.
I would stick to the main campaigns for now and then figure out if you want to waste your life pointlessly grinding for guns which won't matter in the foreseeable future.

The gameplay is extremely fun, and the multiplayer is also fantastic. But the game throws far, far too many things at you to do at once.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I love Sea of Thieves, and go in and out of playing it in spurts of addiction. I also get hooked on fun MP games here and there, like Gears and Halo.

I feel I'm pretty good at pulling myself away from these types of games if I need to though. I look at them the same way I look at huge open-world games or games like Rock Band. I have no delusions of needing completion from them. I just enjoy the ride, and have fun along the way.

I chose 4-8 hours, since my time fluctuates. It can be 0 for weeks on end, then I'll get sucked back in and put 10-15 hours in a single week.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I only play live service games.

And I don't entirely buy this "it wants you to do chores" argument.

Those chores are mostly optional, and I just play the game for the enjoyment of its gameplay, not some carrot-on-a-stick useless gun reward.

Now sometimes (particularly in Destiny) you'll have to do these chores just so you can get to the parts of the game you actually enjoy, and yes that's annoying.

Also PvP games are all GaaS nowadays, and PvP is simply better than offline gameplay.

Edit: and yeah like someone above said I don't really like to play games alone without friends any more.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It can range massively, as don't always have a service game I'm playing, but overall average this gen would probably be 3-4 hours I guess, just in reality it'd be in huge chunks of playtime and then nothing for months, repeated.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Bah, I instinctively hit 0-4 without seeing there was an option for not playing them.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Almost none. I love co-op and multiplayer, but as soon as it becomes a service, I lose all interest immediately. I want my games to end and not be manipulative, which is the opposite of what service games are going for.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Between Destiny, The Division, Avengers, Path Of Exile & Fortnite I'd say a lot. In fact most of my gaming over the last few years has been service based.

Thinking about it if you take into account all of the other online multiplayer games I play which all have elements of service in them, i'd say I now only play service games.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
The main games I've played in the last month have included Avengers, Super Mario 35, and Genshin Impact; plus some Hokuto no Ken phone game that I oddly really enjoy- have def been doing 12+ since early September at least.

Boppa

Apr 4, 2020
Yeah none at the moment Destiny 2 was the last one I actually played and that was just the campaign's, I looked up endgame stuff and I needed to invest many hundreds of hours to gain light levels and then purchase the cool stuff from the real money store (also no one to play with on Xbox) that zero will change dramatically when Diablo 4 is eventually released (in betting it will be GaaS)

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Warzone with my wife and a couple of friends almost every evening. I stopped playing Destiny 2 near the launch of the current season because it was getting a bit too repetitive for me. Can't wait for Beyond Light though!

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Ok looks like I'm going to have to try Genshin Impact, too many people have mentioned it now for me not to give it a spin!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Overwatch if that counts, but I basically play it just as a team shooter anyway.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It depends on the game. I usually don't spend too much on them because I prefer playing new games as often as I can.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Well ESO has been consuming my gaming time recently . Only like a day or so that I've slowed down but it will probably pick up again once the next event hits

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I would stick to the main campaigns for now and then figure out if you want to waste your life pointlessly grinding for guns which won't matter in the foreseeable future.

The gameplay is extremely fun, and the multiplayer is also fantastic. But the game throws far, far too many things at you to do at once.
Yeah, I do agree that the gameplay is very fun. They definitely nailed the shooting. I will do as you advise - finish the campaigns and see if I am still interested.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
A lot. The a big chunk of my play time this generation was Monster Hunter World, Borderlands 3 and Division 2. I actually played over a hundred hours of Anthem too lol. I need help...

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
My dumb brain didn't quite process the poll options, so I chose 0-4 even though I don't play any, and it's not possible to change your vote.

I generally try to avoid them because I know the mindless daily/weekly task grind will pull me in, and I'll waste time on that instead of playing games that don't feel like working.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Most of the games I play are. But I'll have times where I'll take a small break and play just some single player stuff for a little bit.

Oct 27, 2017
For a while it used to be none but I'm grinding away at Avengers and that's like...2-3 hours a night for like 3-5 nights a week? I'm gonna slow down once I get the Platinum though.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
There are weeks I spend 20+ hours playing Warframe or Destiny and there are months I don`t play those games at all.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I've been playing a ton of FFXIV lately, but the plan is to just play through patch 5.3 and move onto something else. I've basically been approaching it like it's a single player game. If you count that then I've been spending a lot of time on live service games for the past 2 months or so. If you don't, then I typically spend 4-8 hours a week playing Dota probably. Often times less than that, these days.