• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much Ram do you have in your system?

• 4GB

Votes: 20 1.3%
  • 8GB

Votes: 182 11.9%
  • 16Gb

Votes: 909 59.6%
  • 32GB

Votes: 364 23.9%
  • 64GB+

Votes: 49 3.2%

• Total voters

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yay Cubase! Me too! It's mostly sample libraries that eat RAM. Especially orchestral ones. You're loading up a bit of every sample of every instrument of every at every dynamic layer, different articulations, etc.

I personally work in a fairly efficient way so my template uses around 26gb of RAM total, but I use pretty lightweight orchestral libraries without so many mic positions, round robins, etc. But I wanted to have room for growth too so I got 64gb. I know some people who use 128gb because they are RIDICULOUSLY detail oriented about orchestral stuff and want to use the biggest and best libraries all loaded into their templates at all times.
Cool it sounds like you're experienced!
I've just started and I'm only recording the guitar and base at this point, and no Cubase amps, I'm using a Two Notes Torpedo Live which has mic simulator. And I have a midi drum track.
But there is still so much I don't have have a clue how to use, the RAM issue will probably show itself later on.
Cubase is so much fun though! I'm coming from using a Tascam porta studio so it feels like the possibilities are endless with Cubase =)

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
What was your old CPU and what's your new CPU?

Upgraded from a 4790k to an 8700k but first with slow budget DDR4 2400 RAM. It was an improvement compared to the old combo, obviously, but in the large open world areas with a lot going on, it was not a very smooth experience still. Then upgraded to the fast 3600 RAM and it really improved the performance, especially the minimum FPS. I did not notice it other games - it was only obvious to me in FFXV.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
4GB with 8GB VRAM on my laptop. Useless for most games but fine for the few pc games I do play.

squall211

Jan 24, 2018
I have 32 in my current PC. Planning on getting a new PC later this year, though that might get delayed with all the covid craziness going on. I had thought about getting 64gb in my new system, though I have a feeling that will be nothing but overkill.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
32GB, but that's because I game on a Workstation Laptop (Thinkpad P52). Chrome usually hogs a bunch.

4GB DDR5 VRAM on a QUADRO P1000

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
why people putting vram amounts, the thread title dont ask for vram, neither the poll.

I have 32GB on my desktop, mostly because i use lot of vms and network simulation.

on my surface 8GB non upgradeable

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
why people putting vram amounts, the thread title dont ask for vram, neither the poll.

Neither the title nor the poll are specific about that (although one can deduce it looking at the options given).

In context of how much RAM is needed for next-gen games (which the OP mentions), graphics memory is just as important. So it makes sense to mention that along with the system memory.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
It's time to get 16GB of system RAM if you don't have it. Games like The Division 2 basically require it unless you have an SSD as your primary drive. Even then, you are giving up performance in that game. When next gen games start arriving, you can rest assured many of them will not run as well as Doom Eternal does on lower spec hardware.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Built a new system this year with 16GB, didn't see much reason to shell out the extra cash for that right now.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
32 GB on my gaming laptop. I'll build a desktop PC when Ampere comes out, and it'll have 32 GB too.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently peasant status sitting on 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz. Will upgrade build within a year.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
16 built it in 2012...
barely play games on it...
But now if I work on it ... I feel a bit ram starved... I wish I had 32... having unreal and Maya open (and chrome ) eats it all

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
32gb ram (four 8gb sticks) @3200 mhz

Definitely worth it with high dpi/ppi photoshop and clip studio work, and the occasional trip into premiere pro and harmony

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
8GB but to be honest my entire rig needs to be replaced, with a new monitor to go with it. I've been putting it off since I still have my PS4 to play.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
16 GB, quite enough for the last few years since I noticed 8 GB (in my original 2012 build) didn't cut it anymore despite optimizing my system and not running many programs at once. I plan to build a new PC within the next year with a foreseeable Ryzen 4700X and 32 GB, which should keep me going for another decade.

Here's a tip! Disable hibernation for these two benefits:

- It will disable fast boot.
A minor disadvantage is that can add a few seconds to your startup time, but it will enable a clean startup everytime you turn your computer on, making it more stable and perform optimally. If you never disabled it, just check your system uptime for fun (I've seen unstable computers which had been "turned on" for months). Doing this also enables WakeOnLan.

- It will save you gigabytes on your C: drive, usually equivalent to your RAM amount.

To do this quickly, run as admin a CMD terminal and enter powercfg /hibernate off .

Will have to double check on this, thanks!

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
16 and I don't see the reason to go higher any time soon. I'm not one of those people who need to be watching twitch while web browsing while playing games all at the same time. And games won't be pushing the need for > 16 for a few years.

Jota typeZERO

Nov 3, 2017
Spain
I just have 8GB, and I'm already getting short of it when it comes to playing games, being Ori and the Will of Wisps the biggest offender. Maybe it is time to upgrade my PC.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
You have 32GB of obsolete Graphic memory as you system RAM?
Must be an interesting build.
DDR4. I must have had video memory on the mind when I wrote my comment. Do you usually stalk people across multiple threads, or is it just an "every-now-and-then" kind of thing for you? Pretty creepy.

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
16 GB, currently no reason to upgrade either if diskRAM is the new hotness nextgen on PC

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
we are in an era where ram can do a lot of useful things if you're into tweaking and ram drives.

Most machines I run have 32 to 64GB with ram drive portioned to them and OS running on them.